Pushing a good thread of this board to ask something I could have googled

..but I want a conversation so fuck you.

>Explain Rust to someone who hasnt even seen the syntax
If everyone loves it, why isn't it used more often

Attached: nova-rs.jpg (271x205, 15K)

>why isn't it used more often
VERY counter-productive

If Rust was just a modern C++, everyone would use it, it has modules, utf8, package management, RAII, hygienic macros and no GC

Because people who have jobs use C/C++ codebases. NEETs are too stupid or lazy to start their own serious rust projects. It's in the hands of open source software, more specifically progressive communities, because gnu/linux are full of angsty spergs afraid of change.

>The Rust programming language was developed by Mozilla
That's all I need to know that it's worthless

And who are you to make such statements?

D is modern C++. Nobody uses D.

D has GC and the standard library relies heavily on it. D's GC is shit.

Jimmy Coleman, an aspiring developer who developed earth-shattering programming innovations such as a terminal hangman, a 2-body problem simulator in Python using MATPLOTLIB and a Game Maker Snake. He is looking for a senior-level position in embedded system cybersecurity in the aeronautic industry, his resume stating "I use C btw, because I'm a competent programmer who doesn't need no RAII lmao."

owned

>If everyone loves it, why isn't it used more often
It's hard to learn which turns a lot of people off. That said, it is easier to learn than C++ but many people are already familiar with sepples and there are way more employment options hence reasons to learn even now.
But honestly, Rust is being used quite a lot. It is well-designed (for now, at least) and many people are playing around with it which leads to a lot of new projects being written in Rust.
Most serious software projects (especially libraries) are older than the language which might explain the current invisibility. Look at new projects instead. Rust is quite popular.

>C++ is a horrible language
>still managed to make the syntax just as bad
well done, mozilla

Rust has the backing of big tech firms, so it has a good shot at catching on, but we have 50 years of C/C++ code in production and that's not going away.
COBOL is still the most widely used language in the world, with billions of lines of code still in production today.

I hope its successful. I really do. Mainly because C++ generally sucks.
To be clear, I like C. I think it's a good language. The annoying bits that it has make sense in the context of it being a 50 year old language.
C++ is just a mess of inconsistencies between trying be a 50 year old language and a new, modern language at the same time.

For Rust to really catch on, someone needs to make a big, massively popular product with it.
Firefox was a start. Google's Fuschia is cool, but nobody uses it. Facebook choosing it for Libra is definitely cool.
But it's not enough. Go didn't really start to catch on until after Docker exploded. Now I see job postings for Go on a fairly frequent basis - and I'm not in a tech bubble.

Thanks for reading my blog.

why is not having a gc a bad thing?

>Thanks for reading my blog.
of course

so what your saying is I should learn Rust so i might find a good Job in the future?

im currently learing web dev and already got a little java (the basics)

>so what your saying is I should learn Rust so i might find a good Job in the future?
No. Rust is currently only used in tech bubbles.
If your sole objective is to find a job, learn Java and Spring or C# and ASP.NET.
If you learn both, you'll have a near 100% chance of finding a job anywhere in the country.

Rust looks promising and I'm sure someone will do a lot of interesting stuff with it in the near future, but right now it's a novelty.

>it's another "Cnile thinks Rust has awful syntax because it's slightly different to other languages" episode

Attached: 1432422864724.png (400x400, 98K)

saying D is an evolution of C++ is dumb and all the people doing that are wasting their lives and other people's time.
Like Objective-C or Ecere C, it's a superset of C with OOP and some other fancy tricks (bounds-checked arrays, metaprogramming, modules).
But very very few C++ programmers would ever be persuaded to make a lateral move, unless they already hated and resented C++ in the first place. Those that love it will find no reason to make such a drastic switch. It would be like moving from C++ to Java.

Rust is used a lot for personal projects now, companies aren't able to switch languages often or quickly for obvious reasons.

That doesn't mean it's not a great idea to make the switch. Look at those flaming-shit abominations that refuse to die like Perl.

>Rust is on Elbrus soon
wow thanks LLVM

Rust is gaining adoption by major companies for new software. It's just not worth spending the money to port over legacy code to Rust (until, of course, a bug in their C/C++ code costs millions in damages). C++11 onwards is just an attempt to copy some features of Rust by tacking it on top of the existing language, so it's not orthogonal in the slightest and ends up being an ugly mess. Anyone saying Rust has ugly syntax only thinks so because it's not identical to C and C++ and (if you choose to use them) incorporates functional programming features that scare them. I would say learning Rust is a forward looking choice and that by all accounts it will replace C and C++ for new projects