Think Different: GNOME is actually innovative desktop environment

Stop this “old is good, new is shit” logic.

If you wanna gain more productivity, convenience etc. let the developers to try something interesting. Adorable. Modern.

Think different Jow Forums be a rebel!

Attached: Gnome.jpg (1915x1030, 175K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ystr.github.io/flickflip/
youtube.com/watch?v=dnol0d0Qth4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the foot 3.0 is about 8 years old now
and has been shit since day one

gnome is the hackerman's choice of a desktop because it's very easy to use and lets you focus on the tasks instead of the desktop

So the concepts of "performance" and "fluidity" are old whilst "glued together javascript shit" is new? I guess chosing the former means that I'm just an old fart after all...

That's why the Linux of Year Desktop is never going to happen.

Attached: 1565394245798.jpg (1024x576, 76K)

gnome needs more padding also bigger icons

Ho ho ho ha ha, ho ho ho he ha. 'Ello, my old chum. I’m gnot an gnelf. I’m gnot a goblin. I’m a gnome. And you’ve been, GNOMED!!!

Attached: gnomed.jpg (220x190, 7K)

use pantheon
t. elementary os

Nah imma use windowmaker
This is now a windowmaker thread

Attached: khamsin1.jpg (1024x768, 211K)

based

It never going to happen because hobbyist freedevs are making software for themselves, professional devs are making software doing obscure tasks for big companies. No one making software or fixing shits for normal users.

I'm still convinced that GNOME 3 and GTK3 exist just to undermine the Linux desktop. It was far, far, far, far, far easier to recommend a Linux distro to people during the GNOME 2 days. Easy to customize, reasonably polished, and it all looked and felt reasonably familiar to someone coming off of another system.
yeah, MATE exists, but I decidedly remember a ton of shit breaking because they had to rename everything

GNOME 3 is fat, locked down, ugly, and most importantly, needlessly different.

Window Maker is really, really pleasant. It's the friendliest stand alone WM around.

>frequent
>all

Attached: mint18menu.jpg (525x467, 38K)

>If you wanna gain more productivity, convenience
i used gnome last month so i can (((get more work done))) only to realise it's so inefficient. so fuck off

It's still easy to recommend a Linux distro to people. Just recommend a distro that does not use goddamn Gnome3.

You can make your own categories by creating folders tho

>automatic app organization included with DE
>update DE, no longer included
>jerry-rig inferior phone-like solution instead

That's pathetic. I even use this launcher to get automatic app organization in my phone, why settle for something inferior in my desktop?

Attached: smart-launcher-5-drawer-layout.png (1600x815, 207K)

Or, even better, budgie

Yeah, its pretty decent. I'm gonna stick to good old xfce though.

Install Kubunt
>Looks good
>Bleeding edge
>Customizable
>User friendly
It's kino

I don’t understand the hate Gnome gets. The only real argument against Gnome is performance, and even that has only been getting better lately.

I like gnome because it looks gay.

If you have to shill it day after day, it's probably a shitty DE. Maybe it's not everyone else user, maybe it's you

just press the super key and start typing, it’s not just for application names

>every big distro uses gnome as the default
>most people that actually use linux to get shit done use gnome
>an audible minority of neets on Jow Forums who spend their days ricing their desktop and circlejerking in desktop thread hate gnome
No, it’s you.

Gnome desktop paradigm is easily the best one on the market since it's the only one that was designed with the use of both mouse and keyboard as human interface devices unlike the paradigms of tiling window managers (just the keyboard) and macOS/Windows (just the mouse).

If you're a poorfag running 10 year old device it's not going to work for you, it's clearly stated on Gnome's website. I use a modern ultrabook with it (both docked with a secondary screen) and on battery and it gets great battery life, despite the fact I fully acknowledge that using a more ~lightweight~ desktop could've improved it. 14 hours of normal use and 8 hours of intensive use out of a 72Wh battery allows me to use it for the entire day without sweating.
Unlimited workspaces is a great feature, especially on a multimonitor setup where only the main screen gets "multiple workspaces" while the rest work like auxiliary workspaces with static content.
Being able to launch an application, look for files, browse for contacts, use the calculator from the "Super" key menu (Winkey) is great. So is the mac-like "Overview" mode accessible from the same key that allows you to switch windows quicker than alt-tabbing.
And Gnome is the only one that's graphically polished. You might not care about that but I and many other people do. Even non-gnome applications like chrome look native on it.

Unfortunately Jow Forums is full of childish contrarians who absolutely despise anything that's not familiar to them hence the popularity of garbage windows clones like cinnamon and KDE

Gnome is logical, designed from the ground up to allow for better productivity, completely disregarded users "used" to a paradigm for the sake of making one that's better. Gnome is the default on the big four (ubuntu, debian, fedora, rhel/centos), it is the one getting the most attention from users and developers and it's performance is getting better with every release. It's THE linux DE.

Not the year of the Gnome desktop for sure anyways am I right people? lol kek.

5 paw points have deposited to your Gnome™ social credit system. 15 more points and you will become a gold shill member. Continue to spread the Gnome™ brand. What's good Gnome™ is good for you ;)

Funny how I've always hated gnome. But every time I see someone shilling it here, it seems to make me hate it just a tiny bit more.
Dredging up unpleasant memories, I guess.

KDE releases have always been out ahead of windows in the copycat department. Windows 8 might have been more of a Gnome3 imitation, and of course it was extra ugly, even for windows.

GNOME devs are trannies and child rappists. GOBLIN is slow, freezes linux and is unusable without extensions.

works on my machine doe

So basically just OPENSUSE or Manjaro

More companies jumping on Gnome has been quite beneficial for them.

Ubuntu Gnome yes. Vanilla Gnome fuck no.

Vanilla Gnome yes. Ubuntu Gnome fuck no.

Why do people shitpost this much on Jow Forums? Bait here is as prevelant as Jow Forums, but with more redditors and less variety.

Unlike most people I don't actually give a shit about the """""innovative""""" app menu. I don't mind it at all, I think it really is "adorable" as you put it, though maybe I wouldn't put it quite so strongly.

However, like most people, I still hate GNOME, only difference is I actually have *real* reasons.

1) It depends on systemd, AKA bloat central. A piece of userspace software that's so swollen and disgusting we may as well call it the fucking kernel. The poster boy for feature creep, it's grown to such a scope, and tried to take command of so much of the overall system, that it's impossible to fully audit it for vulnerabilities, and a conspiracy has gained considerable traction that this might be on purpose.
2) GNOME itself is also bloated as fuck. It bosses all your other programs around and tries to drag its giant DE micropenis into places in software where DE-related specifications do not belong. It also tries to handle your hardware for you.
3) DEs in general are guilty of this as well. Don't use a DE, use a WM. DEs try to take on too many responsibilities on their own. A real DE shouldn't be a complete self-contained user experience package like this shit, it should be a WM plus enough SEPARATELY DEVELOPED graphical userspace software to supplement the WM with the functionalities a casual user expects.

They've been funposting so long that their already meager social skills have completely atrophied, and they're no longer capable of communicating without 7 layers of pre-post-post irony

I got so used to the top left corner I have to run this in Win7: ystr.github.io/flickflip/

Pretty much. I get mildly annoyed when I repeatedly press the "Win" key on a non-gnome machine and all it does is open up the fucking start menu instead of showing me all the windows on a workspace

gnome3 is great if you aren't a WM tech boomer

It's TABLET shit on a fucking DESKTOP

based

>It depends on systemd
Devuan, Void, and Gentoo have patches to make GNOME run without systemd.

Yeah but then it still has gnomebloat.
Plus it still does the obnoxious DE thing i.e trying to control all your hardware.

If you mean gvfs and udisks, I believe both are optional as well.

Deepin is gnome but usable

that Tablet UI looks very limited

>desktop interface feels like an iPhone interface

KDE Neon w/ dark theme sends it's regards

Attached: 1mqzct.jpg (249x271, 16K)

>is unusable without extensions
and every time shell upgrades several extensions broke

A
FUCKING
FOOT

If I had a desktop pc, I'd use Debian with WindowMaker as my main DE I think. Slap Thunderbird and a good music player on there and I'd be set.

>I don’t understand the hate Gnome gets.
People like to keep their workflows intact, moving from the Gnome 2 dual taskbar to whatever the fuck they have now is too big of a change.

Also GTK3 fucked over every custom theme and was introduced with Gnome 3 so lol

Attached: mrs_bucket.jpg (400x400, 19K)

> void
> spend a year on i3
> switch to bspwm
> satisfaction.jpg
> install kali in vm
> gnome
> can't use it

GNOME is cancer and GTK3 is AIDS

Latest versions are very good especially the upcoming 3.34, performance is amazing

foot3 just looks like another shitty macOS clone with some pointless tablet shit thrown in for the sake of pretending to be different

pass

Attached: 1563755659023.jpg (600x600, 51K)

Wayland wacom support when?

youtube.com/watch?v=dnol0d0Qth4

GNOME does a handful of things quite well--it actually has a fairly solid, simple workflow that's not terribly unlike that of tiling WMs--keyboard driven (but still perfectly usable with a mouse), workspace focused, and with an application launcher. Another thing, it's probably the most visually consistent/cohesive DE out there. gets it right. I'd assume the interface is also good for touch devices but I've never really used it in that way myself. GNOME also pays attention to a lot of little areas that other desktops totally ignore--for example, Wacom tablet support and accessibility options for the impaired.

However, there are definitely some aggravating things about GNOME. Architecturally, it's a fucking mess, and it shows in terms of its god awful performance and lack of stability the instant you add any extensions (although, I will say, I do like the concept of extensions, but the execution is quite poor). Some elements of the UI are strange and nonsensical, like the activities button in the top left (although, to their credit, amazingly, they've acknowledged it's worthless and are going to be removing it.) Navigating menus is a chore, and functions are often hidden behind a ton of other menus and/or shoved into a hamburger menu. GTK has some aggravating pain points, like the infamous garbage filechooser (apparently they've half considered making it even MORE simplistic) and finicky dropdown menus. Lastly, GNOME devs just have a bad attitude and try too hard to force the rest of the Linux desktop space to conform to their vision, which often involves removing functionality for no good reason.

All in all, GNOME really isn't too bad, but I feel like it really needs some polish, and it's never going to get it because its developers are far too egotistical to admit when they're wrong. [spoiler]Honestly, Unity was probably the best and most innovative DE, but everyone cried about it so now we're stuck with GNOME.[/spoiler]

the CHAD Linux connoisseur
the virgin Jow Forumsturd

I wish they got rid of that stupid fucking window snapping that serves no purpose and feels like stuttering. Noone has ever consciously used this "feature".

I miss Unity

You can still install Unity on the newest Ubuntu.

sadly true

I tried it once, doesn't work well with multi monitors, how can I solve that?

the foot meme de is the only thing it gets right when it come to multi monitor

you know samefagging doesnt make you look cool, right?

>people will stop saying "old is good" when the new stops being bad.
no functioning adult wants to use a kiddie-touchscreen-interface. they want a clean interface, that doesn't change for the sake of change. there is no reason to reinvent the wheel

>the foot meme de is the only thing it gets right when it come to multi monitor
gnome needs a third party application to be able to set two different wallpapers on your monitors.

Attached: 1561736912239.jpg (600x584, 269K)

you say that every time a new version comes out, and it's NEVER true

GNOME 3 unironically killed the Linux desktop.

Gnome acts just like M$, shove shit down your throat and if you don't like it it's yer problem
But the idiots don't have a monopoly, so people can and do leave gonme for good.

Attached: 1290134687090.jpg (446x400, 45K)

KDE/Plasma somehow stays innovative and doesn't remove features.
How do they do it?

Attached: 1545438234459.jpg (750x741, 124K)

Attached: 1514642265878.png (678x757, 74K)

I’ve said it many times before, I like the gnome paradigm, I just hate how memory intensive it is. If it could be on par with XFCE, more or less, then I would definitely use it.

I believe so as well.
It wouldn't be that much of a problem if it were some obscure DE used by a minority, but the fact that it's considered one of the "main" DEs together with KDE is especially bad.
People come to associate GNU/Linux with GNOME and conclude it's shit, when in fact it's GNOME they actually hate.

GNOME tries way too hard to be different. This isn't a case of muh old good new bad. The WIMP interface *works*, period. If you want to replace it, you must provide something that is better in every way. And GNOME isn't.

And yet, there was contucted a research before Windows 95 release, and their desktop formula proved to be successful. It has been the best and it remains the best.
Even when Microsoft tried to shove down New Innovative Desktop™, they got to step back.
When the most suitable workflow is found, why not improve performance and stability?

Attached: 1565562611331-g.png (383x447, 263K)

Gnome became obsolete the moment Qt and KD became libre software, and XFCE is now going the same way now that LXQT is on the scene.

>I'm still convinced that GNOME 3 and GTK3 exist just to undermine the Linux desktop.
I'm starting to believe this as well, but it's quite bizarre considering GNOME was, and still is, (officially) part of the GNU project itself.
There seems to be a conflict of interest here. I'd have no doubt about their intention of undermining it if they weren't part of GNU, but this is strange.

Unironically still one of the sanest choices.
Lightweight, fast, easy to use, has a good amount of functionality and gets the job done.

GNOME is for faggots and tablets.

>i have real reasons
>bloat bloat bloat
Grow up.

outside of Jow Forums lots of people like gnome

I love Gnome. KDE is for cock loving fags. Everything else sucks... Except xfce, it's ok.

But lots dislike it as well.
Gnome 3 being shit is not a Jow Forums meme. Many other communities, both irl and online, despise it.
Hell, Torvalds himself criticized it.
What Gnome fanboys refuse to admit is that many of its detractors are not just bitter contrarians who shit on everything that didn't come from the 80s. They are professionals who use their systems to get real work done, and feel the interface Gnome 3 provides is getting in their way. To them, Gnome isn't bad because it's new: it's bad because it's bad, period.

>Torvalds himself criticized it
He's been back to Gnome for years now.

They focus on adding new features and improving performance instead of polishing that clusterfuck of a UI and fixing bugs

Yeah, because KDE 4 was even worse.
The point still stands.

yeah because despite being garbage, slow and cpu taxing it is the best one in design
don't lie, in Debian forums or social media polls it's the number one desktop/wm.
The difference is people who use gnome don't care if you use anything else, meanwhile the people who use anything else is a loud minority who feels smarter

>unironically implying bloat isn't a real reason to hate software

>But lots dislike it as well.
An overwhelming minority of vocal retards. Don't believe the meme

You have to define "bloat" first.
If by "bloat" you mean the inevitable additional resource usage that comes from having more functionality, then no, "bloat" is not a valid reason to hate software.
Compromising on features in order to reduce resource usage is never desirable. And that's why Suckless & co. is a meme.

>overwhelming
>minority
I doubt those words mean what you think they mean.

>They are professionals who use their systems to get real work done, and feel the interface Gnome 3 provides is getting in their way.
Yeah, I've yet to see a professional who gets shit done on a daily basis complaining how much "gnome sux" and how much anime-wallpapered tiling WM setup works better.
You know why? There are fucking none.

>The difference is people who use gnome don't care if you use anything else
This thread is a testament to the contrary.

It really is much faster

A minority who overwhelms everyone with their kvetching to the point where they appear to be a much larger force than they actually are.