"appimages will run on any linux distro because they contain all the binaries the app needs"

"appimages will run on any linux distro because they contain all the binaries the app needs"

>Downloads appimage
>runs appimage
>"shared library not found"

Attached: djfhgkjhdfhggkjhfsj.png (612x491, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Flatpak#Overriding_sandbox_permissions_of_applications
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they are crap and snap is retarded
install flatpak
but dont trust me or the fud that will come up in this thread, test it out yourself and i guarantee youll reach the same conclusions i did. that flatpak is by far the best, you can even make you own local store or sdk, its all free software and no canonical proprietary shit or cla

But snaps aren't appimages?

that's not what he said, ya dumbo
"they are crap" - referring to appimage
"and snap is retarded" - stating that snap isn't good either
"install flatpak" - that flatpak is his preferred choice

yes? im talking about the 3 most common options. and there always that "use nix" guy
appimage isnt even sandboxed and firejail smells like ass
ill get out now before i look too much like a shill, im just saying, you might prefer appimage, flatpak, functional package managers or even containers, but whatever you do make sure to never use snap. it's the microsoft store of linux
id cut my dick off or use a flatpak fork from the pale moon devs before I use snap

faltpak seems to be retared too.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-16_23-20-07.png (1738x211, 255K)

kdenlive appimage depends on dvdauthor if I remember correctly.
Werks breddy gud tho.

I don't know why it's this way, but it's not like dvdauthor is going to pull in 217 kde dependencies.
Licensing, I suppose.

Never happened here. To clarify, Flathub is the defacto store for Flatpak but you can make your own easily. I have one here on my local server and I can pull my own compiled Flatpaks from there. It's not simple to learn how everything works but I like thinkering. I just wish JetBrains made their own apps officially, either on Flathub or their own Flatpak store.

why firejail smells like ass?

Used to just firejail firefox and it werked.
Even firejail --overlay-tmpfs (or however it went) didn't work properly the last time I tried it. I could still touch files in my home directory.

It's probably the whole setuid debacle. When you have like 10.000's of lines of C with setuid it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Instead of a simple sandbox escape with namespaces, you get a full root privilege escalation if you manage to exploit firejail.
Rootless containers and flatpak are based on modern Linux tech like namespaces. It's up to you to decide which approach is safer.

Funny, I just tried firejail expecting it to run out of the box and it didn't. Not to shit on it in any way but yeah...

What's an alternative to firejail that does exactly this: I type " " and it runs in a sandbox. I don't want containers installation or some bullshit store, all my programs are installed through apt.

There isn't any and there will never be (with small code footprint) simply because programs are leaky by design. It's impossible to sandbox everything properly. System calls, dbus, ipc, and proxies, networking, filesystem (this one alone is a nightmare), audio, gpu shit, etcetera. And thats without even thinking about any resemblance of system integration like clipboard and permissions.
The only way to do it properly is using an approach like Flatpak and containers. It's not like iOS where you have a single vendor that can enforce control.
You certainly can restrict A LOT with just, for example, bubblewrap and apparmor/selinux, but it's not a true sandbox.
There's a FUD site about Flatpak complaining that "is not a real sandbox" and that's because even as Flatpak is on the lead technology wise there's still many things to go. Wayland and Pipewire for example. But you won't find anything better than that (with the constraints I talked about). You can also use virtualization or kata containers but again the whole point is about sandboxing *AND* user experience, so not really.
Check the Flathub issues for Intellij or vscode and you'll understand why you that fud site is dumb. People want certain programs to pierce through and the Linux kernel doesn't cover everything yet.
You can't just say "please change your proprietary program (or send huge patches to free software) so it can behave like we want in a sandbox". So flatpak is pragmatic and little by little it will get there.

Just install debian faggot, EVERYTHING runs on it
>But muh Arch
>Muh Gentoo
Have sex

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Flatpak#Overriding_sandbox_permissions_of_applications

Seems fair.
Wouldn't it be simpler to implement sandboxing on the kernel level instead of per-program basis?

FlatPak is by far the least retarded out of the bunch.
Traditional package managers are still far superior, but it has its uses.

you mean small code base or surface, not footprint that refers to memory
many things come from the kernel at least on containers but probably flatpak too

I forget how to do this, but if a .appimage won't run, you need to extract it into a folder and then find and run (from a terminal) the executable file. If it fails, it will tell you specifically what you need to install.

heh I only use appimage to install them inside my flatpaks, it's a uselesss bloated tar at best
"botnetshit --appimage-extract"
"mv squashfs-root/usr/share/botnetshit/* /app/bin"
flatpak run --command=botnetshit com.botnet.shit

have you tried CHECKING YOUR FUCKING DEPENDENCIES

I have stopped distrohopping after I tried arch precisely because everything runs on it

What about a package system where everything is bundled as a docker container? Seems like it would solve most issues with dependencies

there's a fair amount of software which is only available as a .deb or sometimes .rpm

>fair amount of software
99% of which is in AUR, the rest can be installed by repacking the .deb, tools for that are in arch repos

Just say containers, docker is getting replaced by all the competitors sticking to open standards.
There's fedora silverblue and others but I find that a meh idea because it's too much work for now. But it's certainly something that will be very popular maybe in a decade. At least one of the aspects like the way applications are distributed (in addition to regular package managers), ostree, immutability, ...

>linux shills lie about
>what their os can do
>what the prerequisites are
>how user friendly it is
Color me shocked.

Tried several flatpaks. Tried flathub's flightgear flatpak just to see how many frames per second. About 10-12 on the same shitposting machine that could run at 24+ on mint and before that windows 10. Most things run just fine tho. Copyq encryption plugin would not find gpg-agent so that didn't work. Dropbox applet would open image viewer when "open in file manager" was selected. There was no settings or .conf file option to change this behavior I could find. My repo package opened in file manager.

Theres no noticeable overhead on the gpu, I run things with the exact same fps. Could be a bad package or different driver version. I notice fps drops in electron apps but no difference with flatpaks.

appimages are the unix choice.
Smaller, more portable, more precise in its direction.
Use selinux + firejail + chroot for sandboxing.

Flatpak and Snaps have numerous ways to escape the so called sandboxing and are both flawed in their ways.

Not to mention snaps is pushed by canonical (forcing amazon search + recent installer telemetry+ trying to shill mir) and flatpak is pushed by IBM with systemd.

We just need someone to setup a multilib 64/32-bit wine appimage for the pirate crowd for it to take off.

>appimages are the unix choice.
tar files are the unix choice

appimages breaks constantly, you would understand why if you studied how flatpak works and why it's the only way to guarantee that a program will work across all distros

if someone recommends appimage for compatibility you can automatically discard their opinion

the real choice would be between snap and flatpaks

but for the motives you listed it's not an option, snaps are cancer

so you're left with the best option (that would still win regardless): flatpak