What is the best DE? I'm sick of using just window managers with all their bullshit. I need a GUI

What is the best DE? I'm sick of using just window managers with all their bullshit. I need a GUI

Attached: kdemenu.png (600x480, 308K)

Deepin DE

Xfce or kde

this

xfce with the arc theme

just switched to KDE after over 7 years of Xfce and holy shit it is sexy
the fact that it's almost as light as Xfce these days is the icing on the cake

how long have you been on KDE now?
I sometimes try out KDE but never stay on it longer than a day or so, maybe it's because I grew so used to GTK-based DEs

almost two weeks, the longest I've ever been out of Xfce
I definitely understand where you're coming from, I tried to like KDE countless times in the past when it was a buggy piece of shit
this time it's been nothing but rock solid on my machine(TM)

xfce with xubuntu theme/layout

>tfw i tried kde countless times since the release of kde 5 but every time i try a live dvd and scroll up something the font corrupts and it makes me lose interest completely.
i literally know and accept that it's better (while also telling other people to use it) but will never use it myself.

xfce
/thread

Attached: 20190817_050724.jpg (4032x3024, 2.9M)

dwm or xfce

>I grew so used to GTK-based DEs
I used to be the same
I finally took the plunge when canonical dropped unity, which was one of two DEs with an actual fractional scaling support
the other one was KDE, so I nuked the ubuntu partition and switched to arch + kde
it took me a while to get used to kde but now everything else feels weird and gimped without the options and features KDE has

Attached: 220px-Konqi-klogo-hi-res-1751x2356.jpg (220x296, 21K)

Windowmaker

Attached: NeXTSTEP_desktop.png (1152x900, 555K)

There's no good reason to use anything other thank the K DE.

Why is gnome not recommended by people here?

Attached: 1565648721594.jpg (812x1024, 80K)

cinnamon reporting in c:

Posting in the hourly KDE shill, hugbox thread!

people dont even run amd64 architecture here, they can barely run xfeces on their computer

But plenty of people are saying they use kde. What is it about gnome specifically that turns people off? Or is it a lack of features?

no features, while somehow being heavy as shit

Is it heavier than KDE?

Yeah. Not by a ton, they're both real heavy; but KDE at least has features, and is marginally lighter.

GNOME. It's simply the best. Sure it's not the exact same as Windows 9x so if you're a baby duck imprinted on that you might struggle, but once you learn the mechanics it is pure sex.

Attached: gnome.png (640x480, 424K)

this, I nay like xfce because it's stable with no surprises.
But the gnome design is perfect out of the box, the keyboard shortcuts are so ergonomic you don't need a fucking dock or meme window list, the overview is better

icewm/jwm or enlightenment
runner ups: GNUStep/WindowMaker, TDE, LxQt

LXDE

>it's almost as light as Xfce these days
...by what metric?

well going by ram you can easily have it run ~400mb. 800 with fancy effects

I think KDE Plasma is the best GUI

my linux laptop specs :

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.16.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.60.0
Qt Version: 5.13.0
Kernel Version: 4.19.66-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 15,6 GiB of RAM

unity

KDE

Max comfy

I've never understood KDE. Tried it a few times, used it for a few weeks total. Just bloat everywhere. I have a feeling if you're a minimalist, it just isn't for you. But if you want something bulky like Windows that isn't Windows, KDE seemed to be pretty full-featured and fills that niche pretty well imo. It just wasn't for me

This

KDE is great

user is right
I was using Linux for the past few years mainly as server OS and was hesitant to use it for desktop because of my experience with gnome and previous desktop environments

I gave it another shot a couple of months ago with kde. For the first time I really feel like this DE outperforms other OSs and since I permanently switched from w10 to kubuntu I can't be happier

Judging by your desktop, you must be one productive member of society.

>all these people shilling KDE
weird that there are no other recommendations, I always though budgie mate and cinnamon were pretty good but whatever floats your boat Jow Forums

fvwm

is there a distro that still runs unity that's not ubungo 16.04 lts?

I tried all of the major DEs, kde is unironically the best of all of them
cinnamon is decent too and I recommend it to people switching from windows
I ran mate on my old laptop, it was a retarded mix of GTK2 and GTK3 but it ran well enough on a GMA X3100.

ubuntu 19.04

xfce or no DE at all

thread should have ended on this post

Actually GNOME is the best by every measure. It's also the default and most supported.

My potato-using brethren.

- no features
- no themes
- care more about their image than customizability
- someone still one of the slowest and heaviest DEs

do you not want it to make reports in c: or what?

But window managers do provide a GUI.

the god duo. like gtk apps? xfce. like qt apps? plasma.

gnome is completely fine but they have been nuking features that they "no longet support" or because they want to "simplify" the DE so much that they have a completely neutered system that feels more akin to an android system than an actual desktop with fully fledged features. see appindicator and typrahead on nautilus