Jow Forums lately:

>Jow Forums lately:
>"Oh, Vista was great! It only had a bad reputation because OEMs were loading it on 286's with 256k RAM!"
>Lived through Vista's broken file transfers, impossibly bad zip file handling, SuperFetch set to high priority making the PC unusable on fresh boot or after closing an app on a pretty decent X2 5200+/2GB machine with a 150GB Raptor

>"Oh, but it got good with SP2!"

Never been able to comment on that until now since I went back to XP shortly after SP1 failed to fix Vista. I've now installed Vista SP2 on a Vostro 200 I've been playing around with. (Upgraded to an E8400 with 7GB DDR2-800)

- Windows update is broken. First errors out, then sits there at 50% CPU util. Internet says "it just takes a few hours." Let it run for 20 hours straight and nothing.
Microsoft Security Essentials won't install. Also sits there with 50% CPU util.

What a trash OS.
Off to ebay for a Windows 10 key.

Attached: windowsvista.jpg (1200x800, 62K)

you're a moron
nothing of that happens here on my machine
:^)

*also, Vista's install takes 4 fucking times longer than 10's, and it boots slower too.

>boots slower
>fresh install
>boots slower
sure senpai

Buy key
Install Win 10 Pro
Done in 10 minutes start to finish on a Core2Duo

It does.
I was never able to get Vista's boot under 90 seconds on my X2 5200+. This E8400 was definitely faster than that and the boot isn't onerous, but Win 10 is faster.

>Not using Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centerâ„¢

10 is easier and the key is good forever.

>Off to ebay for a Windows 10 key.
hahaahahahahahahahahaha wtf did i just read

You have to manually install the BITS and Update Service Stack updates since it's so old you stupid faggot.
10/10 made me reply.

>hey user who jumped right from XP to 8.1 (for a hot second before 10) -- why don't you know how to update a zero market share unsupported OS with a million conflicting suggestions in Google search, none of which is the one I'm suggesting here?

If you need to manually fix it then Vista is confirmed to still be a broken OS, and I can see why every single person on Earth jumped ship as soon as 7 was released.

Windows 7 is a rebranded Vista SP3 and it's the best OS Microsoft ever shat out.

Attached: x9Evku1.jpg (1500x1500, 720K)

>Windows update is broken
No shit, retard. The servers were taken offline. Use wsusoffline.
MSE won't install properly for the same reason - it gets the definitions from WU and that shit is gone.

I'm not going to install a Russian backdoor when a key is only $1.50.

It's broken because you didn't slipstream or bother to read the KB. Anything that hasn't been updated in ten years is not likely to work you idiot.

Attached: shitbrain.jpg (552x423, 40K)

Master of Orion 2 installs just fine in Windows 10.

>Jow Forums lately:
First mistake.
>"Oh, Vista was great!
It was. Your precious 7 was just Vista with a taskbar ripped off from macOS.
>It only had a bad reputation because OEMs were loading it on 286's with 256k RAM!"
Which is true.
>Lived through Vista's broken file transfers,
Across networks. Fixed before SP1.
This is an easy way to spot Vista LARPers - the file copy bug only applied to SMB shares.
>impossibly bad zip file handling,
Which it still has. It's been the same shitty shell extension since 98 or Me. Try 7-zip.
>SuperFetch set to high priority
No, it wasn't. It was a BelowNormal service if I recall.
>making the PC unusable on fresh boot
Probably a corrupt prefetch folder. You're so new, you probably didn't know how to fix that.
>or after closing an app on a pretty decent X2 5200+/2GB machine with a 150GB Raptor
>2GB
Found your problem. SuperFetch was for those who had acres of RAM free. Microsoft should really have turned it off if it detected less than 2GB RAM.
>"Oh, but it got good with SP2!"
It was good with SP1.

>Across networks. Fixed before SP1.
>This is an easy way to spot Vista LARPers - the file copy bug only applied to SMB shares.
No it didn't. Local file copy was broken.

>Which it still has. It's been the same shitty shell extension since 98 or Me.
Vista RC1 could take HOURS to open a zip file. It is most certainly not the same.

>No, it wasn't. It was a BelowNormal service if I recall.
They fixed it relatively quickly, but it was either Normal or High in RC1. It would make your entire machine unresponsive as it hammered the HDD.

>Found your problem. SuperFetch was for those who had acres of RAM free. Microsoft should really have turned it off if it detected less than 2GB RAM.

Vista RC1 did not use that much RAM. 2GB RAM left you with over 1.5GB free, unlike SP2 which gobbles up an entire GB by itself.
When I went back to XP I was rarely over 800MB usage until maybe 2012 when Chrome suddenly decided it wanted 1.5GB for everything.

>No it didn't. Local file copy was broken.
Thanks for playing.

Attached: 1565806368751.jpg (619x617, 34K)

>RC1
>RC1
>RC1
Seeing a real big "I ran a beta and this all applies to SP2" pattern here.

>op is a fag
color me surprised

Attached: faggot police.png (536x593, 130K)

You could just install one of those packs that have all released updates
Also I'm not sure what you'd want to use vista for, it doesn't even have any web browser support any more
Server 2008 (vista based) still gets updates btw

I was trying to use Vista because the PC had a key for it and I don't sell PCs with cracked OSes.
But Vista defeated me so I went gray market.

>Off to ebay for a Windows 10 key.
imagine actually buying zeros and ones. pathetic.

you cant complain unless you used ME

I lived through Vista too and it was fine, I used it for a year or two and my dad used it even longer until like 2010.

I did. ME was just quirky and unstable. I didn't stay on it either since 98SE was better.
Vista was worse. The difference between it and XP was night and day while ME was just a kinda crappy version of 98.

>on 286's with 256k RAM!
Didn't some very VERY patient faggot manage to load it onto a P1 133 with 128MB RAM back in the day?

never happened
you are just an attention whore
a bad one

This pic gave me the feels. Thanks user.

>Windows update is broken
That's not a Vista exclusive feature though.
Every version of Windows without failure eventually has a bug where older installs just can't update to the latest due to update dependency hell.
Just search online to see what update you need, install it manually and you should be good to continue.