Get Xiaomi phone in the mail

>Get Xiaomi phone in the mail
>Forfeit my personal info for the privilege of unlocking my device which I bought with my own money
>"That'll be a 168 hour wait dumb gweilo!"
Fuck this shit. Can you at least take the SIM out of the phone & shut it off during the wait? I'm really not too keen on using my Xiaomi phone normally while Mi Sync or whatever the hell it's called is activated.

Attached: FFFFFUUUUUU-.png~c200.png (200x200, 81K)

You probably didn't bought this device at all. You were licensed to use it.
Read EULA.

You can shut it off. And mi sync isn't running just because you didn't unlock.

Imagine being worried about chinaman marketing more than the usual big botnets.

Die. And die.
What the fuck are you complaining about? Do you prefer a locked down phone instead? And for the thousandth father fucking time - they have a legitimate reason for having those wait times. And that is to prevent resellers from flashing firmware with malware, as it happened in the last.
You can remove all the pre-installed Mi apps in the meantime and replace them with open source ones. You can also use a burner number or a fake email address for the unlocking process.

In the past*

this wasn't a problem with my Motorola phone. sucks to be you

I thought you needed Sync on, in addition to "Find My Device" in order to be able to start the bootloader unlock countdown? My plan was to basically just turn on the phone with the SIM inside it a couple of times before the countdown reaches zero, but to leave it shut down otherwise. It didn't reset the countdown for you?

And it's not so much I'm more afraid of Chinese botnet than Western botnet, it's that I'd rather avoid an extra layer of botnet wherever possible. Ofc it's not really feasible in order to unlock a Xiaomi device, unless you actually go through with buying a burner SIM card for that sole purpose.

Yeah... let's not kid ourselves. It's purely because Xiaomi knows any non-Chink wants to avoid MiUI like the plague, and the first thing most of them will do is nuke that shit from their phone. So Xiaomi implemented this "countermeasure" essentially to data mine you as much as they can in the limited time they have. It's only a matter of time before they go the Huawei route.

>It's only a matter of time before they go the Huawei route.
I don't think so. They made a statement when Huawei pulled that bullshit and they're not tied to their government, whereas Huawei is and has been since the start.

>Do you prefer a locked down phone instead?
Owned quite a few Moto Gs, unlocked them all within the same day. Some phones can be unlocked and still don't have this waiting process.

>they have a legitimate reason for having those wait times. And that is to prevent resellers from flashing firmware with malware
Then how come they still sell already unlocked devices with global ROMs? Surely if they can do one they can do the other, right? How difficult is it for them to flash malware instead of that global ROM?

The fuck are you on about OP?

Zhang Ching Wang from Aliexpress.com the website had already done it for me before sending one out.
it probably has a rootkit now too.

test

Xiaomi phones are locked by default; while it's possible to unlock them, it's a major pain in the ass that involves having to fork over your:
-SIM card info
-Phone number
-Email address
-Contacts
-Texts
-GPS location
And some other shit I can't remember. Also in order to even unlock your phone, you need to download a proprietary, Windows exclusive program. Oh, but I didn't even mention the best part - there's a fucking timer for when you're able to finally unlock your phone. It ranges from 72 hours to as much as 1400 hours. And there's been cases of people who still weren't able to unlock their phones even after waiting for the required amount of time.

>You can remove all the pre-installed Mi apps in the meantime and replace them with open source ones. You can also use a burner number or a fake email address for the unlocking process.

samsung and apple dont have this problem

xiaomi, huawei and all those chinese brands are malware botnet infected pieces of shit, why would you give them your info on your own free will? you fucked up son

What does locked mean here? Never used a Xiaomi phone, don't know jack about them

>he can't wait 168 hours
Are you a child?

buy a better phone nigger

>samsung and apple dont have this problem
Yeah, but custom ROMs aren't really a thing for most of Samsung's devices past the S7 and the S9/+/Note 9 have just gotten usable Lineage OS 16 builds. Their midrange phones also don't have any custom ROM support and Apple is forever locked down, but yeah, that's not a problem.
>xiaomi, huawei and all those chinese brands are malware botnet infected pieces of shit, why would you give them your info on your own free will? you fucked up son
Die die die die die and die.
You're unironically recommending forever locked down iOS and pretend to care about privacy, are you for real?
And no, not all manufacturers are the same - by buying Xiaomi you have a choice of doing something about that, but you don't if you go Huawei or your as Chinese as everything else Apple.

No, why would you need Sync to be on? You just need to have been signed in with a Mi Account, but you can have the Mi Cloud off.

>tfw buy oneplus one off ebay for $50
>tfw immediately go to developer tools and unlock bootloader, then flash lineage
feels good not being a complete cuck

Jesus I've seen some retarded shit on this board and I forget it immediately but you are going to be remembered at least in my head, that's impressive. It's not that what you said is stupid or ignorant, it's just such a dumb thing to be bothered by for the reasons you mentioned.

>-SIM card info
False.
>-Phone number
True, they text you a confirmation code. You can use a burner.
>-Email address
True, you need to make an account.
>-Contacts
False. Never gets transmitted unless you use Mi Sync. If you're that paranoid, just don't put any contacts on the phone until you root and change ROM.
>-Texts
False. AFAIK, Mi Sync doesn't even save texts, but I don't use it.
>-GPS location
Also false. Doesn't need to be toggled on at any time during the process.

Clearly you've never used a Xiaomi phone, or were terribly misinformed somewhere else. I've rooted 4 myself in the past couple years, I should know. Yes, waiting one week to get the confirmation is fucking annoying, it used to be just 3 days before, but it is what it is. At least you can still root it, and there's plenty of development for it.

Yeah, but you've bought a close to unusable 5 year old phone and I'm not sure how this counts. Not to mention that OnePlus is only really a thing in the US.

>Not to mention that OnePlus is only really a thing in the US.
It's got a decent slice of the affordable premium market in India.

You have been visited by the Laura of not great, not terrible threads.

This thread is currently reading 25 replies (not great, not terrible).

Attached: Laura.jpg (1275x637, 108K)