Why does everyone on youtube insist on doing this shit? Is this some kind of an in-joke?

Why does everyone on youtube insist on doing this shit? Is this some kind of an in-joke?

Attached: youtube.webm (1664x932, 2.81M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ
digikey.com/products/en/fans-thermal-management/thermal-pads-sheets/218?FV=fffc000a,118013c,24c03a1,1f140000,ffe000da&quantity=0&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&pageSize=25
youtu.be/CCqxE-5Ct3w?t=694
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why? You thing there's only one way to apply thermal paste?

Hell you could draw a Star of David on it and it's still gonna work fine

brainwashing by intel to make you replace your cpu earlier for the new gen

>youtube
found your problem

>reddit spaces
Creating tiny air pockets by fucking with it and not just squishing the blob against the heatsink kills any cooling capacity the heatsink may have had
if someone just wanted something that "worked fine" they probably wouldn't be replacing/installing a CPU in the first place, anyways

Attached: glassess.png (307x352, 116K)

techtablets is based, fuck off OP
also he said he didn't know how to apply thermal paste but he eventually did a decent job
it doesn't actually matter either way unless you severely fuck up

it doesn't fucking matter. even the amount is irrelevant unless you squeeze half the tube on there. i've tried it all by now. doesn't fucking matter. at all.

You're fucking retarded and repeating myths with no basis in reality. People used to say shit like that to try and appear smart, but there are countless tests showing that it doesn't fucking matter. People also used to say don't put too much on or it'll hurt cooling performance, yet that's also been shown to make no fucking difference, because the excess is simply squeezed out the sides by the mounting pressure. At worst you end up with a horrible mess to clean up.

Literally the only bad way to apply thermal paste is by not applying enough. The dot method is basically deprecated at this point thanks to the difference in the way dies are constructed under the IHS for everything except Intel's mainstream chips, and the fact that it's been proven time and again that having every single part of your cooler's coldplate and the IHS which contact each other covered results in optimal thermal transfer.

Keep up with the times, dumb boomer. It's not 2012 any more.

>tiny air pockets
I believed that myth for 15 years, the amount of pressure on a CPU will not leave air pockets.

If you believe this, you're genuinely retarded. Go watch gamers nexus video on whether thermal paste application matters or not. Pro tip to save you from watching: it doesnt, and even doing it in the way you says "creates tiny air pockets" doesnt matter and isnt an issue.
Also, how the fuck would just pushing the blob down create any less bubbles than doing this? Do you even think before you post? Have you ever given your train of thought any actual brain power before you decided to go spouting that as fact? Like honestly man, you're super dumb. Educate yourself.

kys

Attached: muh pea sized blob.png (2560x1440, 1M)

>do anything, it doesn't matter
that makes it's even funnier that the video spends so long spreading it out when it doesn't matter

takes that long and still has to jumpcut to the fucking layer cake abomination at the end

It's how it was done in the old times when core wasn't protected by IHS.
People just can't accept it's not necessary anymore. Unless you have a huge, multi-die CPU like a Threadripper, it's a bit more tricky than just a small blob in the middle.

Attached: 99886_0_i1064.jpg (320x300, 14K)

The air just heats up and escapes unless it's too big.
And no, threadripper and zen 2 have specific application techniques on account of where the chiplets are located on the die.

Elaborate please. What technique is there for zen 2 chips?

YOUR GETTING PASTE ON THE SIDES WHAT THE FUCK STOP YOU MORON

Not only would you need a lot less when bare dies were common, your thermal paste would be something like MX-2 which is a hell of a lot thicker than modern ones.
It was a placebo back, and still is now.

Who else here /RiceGrain/? Fool proof and if you're feeling crazy on a larger chip, you do 2 rice grains parallel.

I have a threadripper and no it's not more tricky, unless you're being very literal with that "a bit" qualifier.

>Creating tiny air pockets by fucking with it and not just squishing the blob against the heatsink kills any cooling capacity the heatsink may have had
proof?
didn't think so

proofs to his statement?
didnt think so

Are you having a stroke?

youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ
Different techniques of applying thermal paste using a a piece of clear plastic to show the result.

Instead of watching youtube video called "gamers nexus" just try reading one of many manufacturers pdf documents available online for applying "thermal interface materials" for use in industrial applications.

>avoiding the question
better luck next time faggot

You're an idiot. Rocks literally form with air pockets.

You're all retarded. The REAL problem is that the pockets cause there to be less thermal compound surface area touching the cpu. Thermal paste is thermally conductive based on surface area touching 2 different objects.
God damn this board is so full of retarded summerfags.

>Why does everyone on youtube insist on doing this shit?
>Why does everyone insist on doing this shit?
FTFY. Just look at the comments in this thread, 95% of these idiots don't even understand how thermal compound operates.

If 3M, Dupoint, Henkel all warn about air entrapment in their TIM application manuals it's obviously real issues.

It clearly shows that the big blob performs best.

to make it more consistent between tests of different CPUs.

harder to maintain a consistent thickness of application when testing a range of different CPUs, so reduce the variability of thermal paste thickness, they always spread it in all setups.

Been doing rice grain forever, works great.

>summerfags
>a real thing
I fucking hate you people so much

Doesn't really matter, a sufficient amount of thermal paste applied in any manner that does leak to the sides will do the job. Air gaps are a meme that realistically will have no impact on the performance as the clamp force and distance between the two surfaces is retard-proof.

Too little thermal paste and it won't spread enough to cover all the cores, too much and it will literally leak to the sides. Yes, there is a theoretical advantage of applying just enough for the thinnest possible layer covering everything, but these are within such margins that you would not realistically notice.

Attached: 1354607829505.jpg (620x335, 44K)

Tightening the bolts makes so fucking much clamping force literally anything gets squeezed out, thin spread and the air escapes.

If some air remains then it will surely escape once the system heats up.

>If 3M, Dupoint, Henkel all warn about
safety measures and precautions are always blown out of proportions by an order of magnitude or two the real engineers don't give a fuck.

(((goymers nexus)))

>air escapes
Team of $100k+ engineers at some gigantic chemical conglomerate vs Jow Forums user?

I think der8auer in a gamers nexus video said air pockets are a meme
if an LN2 overclocker with major input in developing themal grizzly doesn't give a shit about alleged air bubbles, neither do I

>themal grizzly
kek, fuck chemists and their stupid science, we have der8auer to make ultimate thermal compound.
>Please like and subscribe, don't forget to support me on patreon.
This world is doomed

It definitely matters though. One time I didn't apply it well enough and I'd get random moments under heavy loads where my temps would go beyond 100C.

thermal grizzly is unironically one of the better compounds out there so not sure what you were trying to say
>muh patreon
the fat fuck shilling his merch and patreon on every opportunity annoys me to no end, but he does make decent content

More like
>literal low functioning autism vs practical experience.

>shilling his merch and patreon on every opportunity
>REEEE WHY WON"T THE PEOPLE MAKE HIGH QUALITY VIDEOS OF DISASSEMBLING VERY EXPENSIVE THINGS ON THEIR OWN MONEY

>ON THEIR OWN MONEY
What an outrageous thought.
Like there where times before jewtube when people didn't try to live off their hobbies.

Holy shit stop with the reddit spacing meme it outs you so quickly as a newfag

That small plastic thing isn't for spreading paste, it's for scraping off the old one

He makes good videos and earns good buck. He deserves it.
>hobby
At this point he's like the most reputable hardware publication out there.

Air pockets will only be created on a concave surface.
On convex surfaces the air will just be pushed to the side.

Basically, thermal paste application matters more for AMD than Intel.

It literally doesn't matter what method you use as long as you have sufficient mounting pressure. It will all get squeezed out the edges.

usually the autism comes out on top when it comes to extremely menial issues like this
they focus on the tiny pointless shit

Because the people on youtube do it for the money and don't care

Focusing on pointless is pointless.
If this mattered the normal people cared about it too.

fuck off
>hurr durr iTs BeEn aRoUnd foR sO LoNg
>b-bUt MoOt dId iT tOo
Does. Not. Over ride what has become slang, faggot

Stop reddit spacing or fuck off entirely and we'll stop riding your ass for it.

You kids don't even know what le spacing is.

Attached: 1509252865544.png (960x574, 169K)

Some of you guys have air bubbles inside your fucking brain

Attached: image0.jpg (4032x3024, 2.04M)

You sir are wrong

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 50K)

I'm usually not easily triggered, and I don't care how anyone applies their paste, but that webm triggered me. I want to rip that spatula thing from his hand and do it for him.

Attached: 1559275772893.jpg (610x561, 85K)

I just do the Chad dab and let the cooler do the rest

bet you actually listened to this idiot when he told you not to do that and use only the meme pea method and absolutely nothing else
>i-it's a terrible method it's not spackle trust me i did this and my CPU literally overheated!! no charts just trust me
>unironically listening to a furfag cuck back in 2012

Attached: teksyndicate-logan.jpg (1280x720, 45K)

>Air pockets
lol fucking idiot

Blob + protective glove + finger + spread evenly = win.

Pea method don't work so well on Zen 2 since the chiplets are further out toward the edges and corners.

In my experience, it does actually matter how you apply paste, in certain situations. Normally, no, it doesn't. However I recently had this problem where I had to remove and reseat my CPU heatsink, and after reapplying paste, it ran hot as shit. AFAIK the reason why it didn't work right was because my tube of paste was several years old and possibly more dried out and wasn't spreading very well. But after manually pushing the tacky paste around so it greased every inch of the CPU lid and reseated the HSF, temps were back to normal.

But for "fresh paste" that actually spreads properly, doesn't matter.

I'm in a market for a paste however every review has very different results for the mainstream pastes, that aren't even comparable (like noctua sometimes is mid tier sometimes high) and the most popular (at least here) arctic cooling mx 4 has results all over the place. How should I pick one?

For low power cpus (bellow 130w) it doesn't matter. Put a drop of cheap paste and call it a day. But for housefire grade ones it is better to evenly spread that shit.

Spacing has always been a thing, but you silly faggots who come from reddit think that reddit spacing is a real thing

Pic related its u reddit nerds who call out spacing

Attached: Character_gretchen.jpg (400x615, 35K)

>newfag
Been here since '10 and I thoroughly detest redditfags.

Attached: 156312621198.png (655x567, 90K)

What. An. Autistic. Way of speaking why would you do that

Been here longer than that, but reddit spacing isnt a thing

Redditors can all die, this isnt reddit spacing

>.t butt blasted summerfag
>being as new as you
>mfw

Attached: MV5BZGM4ZTJjMWUtZTRhZC00ZmRkLTlmM2MtYjc1NzRkYjFiYzM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM0NzUyOTU@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,17 (1777x999, 197K)

I've been properly spacing paragraphs since fucking Usenet and I'm not going to stop because a bunch of newfags say it's "Reddit."

Suck a cock.

This

I prefer to spread as most chips i have use central caches and push the integer cores out to the perimeter/corners of the chips.

Works well for me, and more consistent than the "pea" size drop method with less waste or paste oozing from the edges...

granted i actually use enough paste, and spread with a card that can cover the entire surface of the heat spreader or cold plate. Usually i do the cold plate as its easier to get a good spread on. my repaste with MX-4 on a BeQuiet top flow cooler for good example

Attached: photo_2019-08-10_07-17-24.jpg (1280x960, 162K)

The air pockets argument seems fair.

How the fuck do you spread it correctly. Some of the paste gets on the credit card I was using and if you need to push/spread some paste again on the same spot it can become a mess very easily

Attached: 1492440932836.jpg (250x236, 5K)

Putting a thin layer on both the CPU and cooler heatsink is the way to go. Any bubbles will get filled in that way.

Use one of those medical gloves and spread it evenly with your finger. Dab it all over so you get a spiky coverage. For better thermals do the same on the cooler heatsink. Make sure it's a think layer on both though so as not to have too much paste squeezing over the edges.

I personally apply a fat fucking dot in the center and spread thin by bolting the cooler down until I can hear the motherboard creaking and then some more.
Thick layer might be sub optimal, but what's much worse is if it doesn't cover the entire area.

but if i was pasting a tripper I would probably apply a generous line along the edge and then smear it to the other edge with one move.

Those sound like malicious advises on how to make the greatest air bubbles possible.

Don't listen to these.

b-but if i call something out as reddit i'll fit in right my fellow anons

it might work well, with liquid metal your have to do both ihs and the heatsink

liquid metal is very runny and liquid. it has no issues with bubbles but with adhering to the surface instead.
It's too different.

Toasting in bred just to say both of these anons are either baiting or incredibly misinformed.

Attached: z9wk9aJ.jpg (720x534, 55K)

You need to do it like this, only smaller.

Attached: tenor.gif (220x165, 469K)

>digikey.com/products/en/fans-thermal-management/thermal-pads-sheets/218?FV=fffc000a,118013c,24c03a1,1f140000,ffe000da&quantity=0&ColumnSort=1000011&page=1&pageSize=25

Just get a panasonic thermal graphite with 0.2mm(comparable to generic paste)

For reference, you can buy the same 0.2mm Panasonic graphite from IC Graphite Thermal Pad(sells for $10 for 30x30). 30x30mm works just fine for any CPU, even for an oversized CPU like 40x50.

First result will get you 32x29mm and that will work just as well (yes even with that hole, it won't matter). You can obviously find the best bang/buck for your needs by buying larger pad and cut them to pieces that you need to get better value.

>tfw pea makes sense when your heatsink already has a generous amount of paste
>tfw you only use a pea+ in size
>tfw no drama even with Ryzen 3000

>heatsink has paste already on it

the fuck are you doing nigger

JUST MAKE A SWASTIKA AND BE DONE WITH IT
add 4 little dots so it isnt a hate machine if you're german

and seem to not really care that best and worst paste applications barely matter in temps.

if the 3-5* difference in pasting is make or break, you have an undersized cooler and have no one to blame but yourself.

the only time I've personally had it make more of a difference is in old laptops that used a thermal "tape" that's like a pre-dried paste. Ive seen up to 10*c re pasting some of those even compared to the new "tape" that dell and lenovo ship with replacement heat-pipes assemblies.

I

will

do

as

I

want

Attached: 1566000379854.png (112x105, 7K)

Yeah, thermal tape is super shitty. Apparently Arctic paste is highly regarded, but pretty much anything you get nowadays that isn't fake or super shit tier will do the job. Just don't put too much or too little - that's the trick. A blob in the middle, or evenly spreading out a thin layer - both fine.

Air bubbles would be created in the enclosed areas hurting thermal efficiency.

Attached: 1565954977582.png (1500x500, 223K)

>air bubbles
lol fake news. Application and amount don't matter at all.

youtu.be/CCqxE-5Ct3w?t=694

There is literally no reason to put that much distinction between those two statements. That's why it's reddit spacing. You're as obvious as retards who use two 'x's in "dox".

Not the one you replied to but GN is one of the few YouTube channels that actually does its research and doesn't fall into memes or shills. Tells a lot about you when you judge a credible source of knowledge for this specific matter just for because its name contains "Gamer" in it. Are you so fucking edgy you cannot handle seeing the word "Gamer" without cringing yourself and going back to your basement not before telling mom that you want more chicken tendies?

Yes, there is.

Separation between different chains of thought and topics.

Which has existed since before the internet.

You dumb nigger.