/pcbg/ PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?&v=IhX0fOUYd8Q [Open]

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>I7 9700K/I9 9900K - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

GPUs based on current pricing
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>(GTX 1660TI @ ~$230/Vega56 @ ~$270) - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - standard, 75-100FPS+
>RX 5700XT - higher fps
2160p (4K)
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive
>Forget 2070S, not the good value proposition it's 1070ti predecessor was

>Navi AIB models come this week. 5700 non-XT blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Attached: 19-117-957-V01 (1).jpg (640x480, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tweaktown.com/reviews/8797/supermicro-c9z390-pgw-intel-z390-motherboard-review/index3.html
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=23vjWtUpItk
pcpartpicker.com/list/ChcPbX
pcpartpicker.com/list/n2J2q4
youtube.com/watch?v=XZCRcrcqBmE&t=366s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We live in a society

In that society we use computers

should we "build" our computers?

in this society?

second for amd

3rd for 13% of the population builds 52% of the computers for no reason

When should one expect most of the bugs to be cleared up from the boards?

Do not buy anything. Everything is shit.

Do not build gaming computers, you have one of the most powerful tools ever given to man in your possession

use it for good, use it for evil; but don't use it for gaming

Where the fuck do you Americans buy computer parts? Is it just Amazon and Newegg?

Friend flying over soon and American prices are way better. Need an AIB 5700xt. They all seem to perform identically so whatever.

Is a difference of 34pts in single thread Cinebench significant?

Attached: cine.png (1920x1040, 1.46M)

Every time I turn my monitor off any turn it back on it doesn't detect any signal from my pc unless I unplug my display port cable and plug it back in. Wasn't as annoying a few days ago but now it's gotten pretty fucking annoying

>read OP
>recommends a good balance of Intel, AMD and Nvidia hardware
Guess you just can't help the assmad fanboys when you dare recommend something that's not exclusively from their chosen alliance

I'm considering a Supermicro Z390 motherboard. I have a Supermicro in my server that's been so rock solid it's not even funny. It's a server grade C226 chipset though and I'm wondering if the quality/performance/dependability carries over to their more consumer Z390 chipset. Pic related is nearly $350 but it has
>6x SATA ports
>Dual m.2 slots
>PLX chip for extra 16 PCIe lanes
>dual U.2 ports

Any reason not to? I haven't built a non server PC in a long while. Now that I'm getting into gaming again, I'm at a loss. Looks are irrelevant. The build will be windowless.

Attached: DSC_0624-Custom.jpg (3240x2160, 1.2M)

>Niggashyte
>Asscock
>MRSA
>ANUS
>Bioshart
>EVGAY

Unfortunately at this time, no. Nvidia chooses not to fuck with AMD's proprietary FreeSync HDMI signals to fix it via drivers.
For variable refresh rate g-sync compatibility to work on Nvidia cards, you can only use Display Port to Display Port (no adapters)
This will probably change when VESA Adaptive Sync certified monitors come out and they add driver support for VRR via HDMI 2.1 for them, but who knows, Nvidia might decide not to care at all

Is that a fucking gayming board from supermicro

>The build will be windowless.
enjoy ur cuckbox

>tfw all Colorful build

yup. Apparently they even had ones as far back as Z97 chipset. They just flew way under the radar. I was looking at server stuff on newegg and after falling down the rabbit hole of clicking on "items you may be interested in" stumbled across SuperMicro Z390 chipset stuff.

But it's also blatantly catering to workstation tier stuff. Hardcore VRM section/quality, dual U.2 ports, 10Gb LAN, PLX chip.
I will. Enjoy your private disco.

>ANUS
snuv

Oh and the Supermicro Z390 board also is like the only Z390 board in existence that supports 4x GPU's at x8x8x8x8 because of the PLX. Yea fuck it i'm gonna look at reviews and get it if all checks out.

Consider it as just any other Z390 board and compare to Z390 boards from other brands

I want to replace my SSD with a 1TB one. I only have 1 NVME slot on my motherboard.
Would I be able to clone my current SSD onto a regular hard drive, switch the SSD's, and then clone the hard drive to the new SSD? Would I run into any problems doing this?

Trying to get my daughter into gaming so she can have something to do while I'm gaming. What would be a good build and some games for her? She's just a cute little loli and I want her to be safe and have fun, nothing with webcams

Attached: 1565082254541.gif (480x270, 482K)

Sneed

pic related is my pc build. Oldest part is my 1060 which is 3GB. I am not following GPUs scene or prices.. So I wanted to ask you if there is a GPU that would be a nice upgrade for me.

Lets be clear I am not having troubles with games, but sometimes I can feel that the 3GB its not enough. I am not willing to spend 500€ on a new GPU.

Attached: file.png (628x646, 50K)

are you running Windows? If so backup the entire OS/files to another storage media. Then simply recover that backup to the newly installed SSD.

>Trying to get my daughter into gaming so she can have something to do while I'm gaming

Attached: 1565512646989.jpg (412x512, 34K)

nice avatar usage!

I'd like to know more about the power delivery on that board, because to be frank it looks completely rubbish from that pic

>nice avatar usage!

Attached: 1565462279670.png (785x1000, 244K)

>unironically trapped with AMD because of the monitors you bought last year were FreeSync enabled but only have HDMI and VGA unless you just say fuck VRR all together
Damn, really? There's absolutely no work around for that? I don't really mind until I have to upgrade my GPU but still

Read the OP, decide what monitor size/refresh you ultimately want, and decide on that.
>pairing a 1060 3gb with an 8700k
Wut

Tweaktown did a good breakdown of the board. Apparently the board is "only" a 6+2 phase, but they use really high quality components that has it competing with higher phase boards at the cost of slightly higher load power usage. Honestly I'm sold just on the features it has that no other Z390 board has (U.2 slots and PLX chip) plus dat Supermicro namesake.

tweaktown.com/reviews/8797/supermicro-c9z390-pgw-intel-z390-motherboard-review/index3.html

Why do you need U2 and a PCIe switch though?

Jow Forums

Water or Air cooling? For 9900k (No OC)

>inb4 3900x

Attached: 06B110FE-C9C3-46AD-9853-AC254C960B63.jpg (1500x1500, 76K)

Ah, that's fair enough. I withdraw my concerns

longevity and the ability to run a bunch of NVME based SSDs. They make U.2 to m.2 adapters now so I could easily just run a couple more NVME SSDs. Lastly like I said is namesake. I've never been burnt by a Supermicro board and according to Tweaktown they didn't cheap out on the board where they could have. The single complaint about the board is price.

air all the way
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=23vjWtUpItk

Hyper 212 Evo Blacked / Deepcool Gammaxx 400

I'm cooling my stock 9900k with a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 and only seeing 60C under 100% encoding load for hours a time. you could easily get manageable temps on a sub $50 single tower/single fan cooler.

When is the 5700xt red devil going to be released in europe?
I can pre order it in my local shop but cant find any dates.

High end air coolers are almost in par with mid-high end AIOs for a cheaper outright price. AIOs look better and more minimalist (if that's what you're into) and have the ability to tune heat dissipation suited to your case. Noise between good air coolers and a good AIO is pretty well on par.
Do the research and decide from there, instead of having half a dozen replies from people who don't know any better spouting rubbish like "hurr extra fail points".

For some standard cooling, is 2 fans on the front and one on the back enough?

Yes

Any opinions on ultrawide monitors? I'm currently looking at the LG 34GK950F, since the smaller 27GL850 is going to be on backorder for eternity and the panels have seem to have the same specs (1440p, nano IPS, 144Hz refresh, 1ms response, FreeSync/G-Sync compatible etc). I like dual monitors for development work, so the plan had to been to have one screen fast enough for games and have a second cheaper monitor for extra space, but now I'm feeling like an ultrawide could be good for games that support the resolution too.

i do 3 front 1 back 1 top

>Any opinions on ultrawide monitors?
They're great. Wouldn't mind an X34P, but the LG you mentioned is apparently top notch

what the fuck's with cases not having 5.25" bays anymore? I must be getting old. Anyhow, how's this. I'm the Supermicro motherboard user from before. I only build once in a while and back when I was gaming, "adaptive sync" wasn't a thing.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ChcPbX

Attached: 1564585533605.jpg (786x777, 204K)

Looks like you got more money than me. Honestly nothing out of place here though, looks good.

And I forgot the UHD Blu-ray burner/reader LIKE AN ASSHOLE. Tack on $120 to that build. And before people mention my lack of HDD storage, I have a server with 120TB of storage. This build is solely for gaming and occasional editing work.

Attached: 1561771152169.jpg (750x1000, 138K)

Get the Le Grand Macho RT instead
Leave all data on a server instead of storing locally. Only store programs locally.

Corsair Vengence DDR4 3600 CAS 18 or crucial ballistix DDR4 3000 CL 15?

Having been looking into it myself recently, AIO water cooling doesn't really provide significant performance benefit (either in temperature or noise) over the best air coolers, and going with air is significantly cheaper. However the top end air coolers can have huge heatsinks, which might not fit in some cases or clip against memory with certain motherboards/sticks, and aren't as aesthetic as the water coolers.

Custom water loops can give better results, but are even more expensive and aren't easy to get started with.

>3600C18
avoid

Why?

High latency
Also the crucial 3000c15 is known to OC well, you can get 3600c14 with it

wow Thermalright is still in business?
>Store data on the server, programs only
Of course. The only thing that will be on this PC is games, editing software, etc. All backups are saved to my server.

You can leave the 4TB SSD then

The Grand Macho was originally a 90W fanless cooler IIRC, before thermalright slapped a fan on it.
Consider thermalright thermal paste too, maybe the TF8

why Thermalright? What's wrong with the noctua assuming cost isn't a concern. The one I chose was the new Noctua that's a single tower supposedly on par with the NH-D15. That Thermalright cooler seems large and unwieldy compared to the Noctua

What's the best x570 board I can get my hand on for a full amd build - 5700xt + 3700x ? heard the Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE wasn't that good.

Attached: 1522371337306.jpg (500x500, 75K)

This is the Noctua NH-U12a by the way. It only loses to the much larger NH-D15 by a single degree C when cooling the i7-8700k @ 4.8GHz with 1.3v

Attached: page11_2.png (725x535, 149K)

Silence. Someone posted this last thread.

Attached: 1566013550334.png (556x1453, 127K)

is a server really needed ? Why not getting HDD and/or external HD ?

>High latency
It's exactly the same latency as 3000CL15/3200CL16, it's just got a higher XMP and better guarantee to hit a higher clockspeed.
>also the crucial 3000c15 is known to OC well, you can get 3600c14 with it
I'm sure there's a handful of cases in extreme circumstances, but bullshit for the most part.

Why are monitor brightness settings basically just an on-off button? I'm currently at 5% and anything above 10% will burn your eyeballs right out of the socket. What's the point of having a scale like this?

Attached: istockphoto-872016108-612x612.jpg (612x408, 28K)

you need a room with good light too

Because I have 120TB of space in my server that also serves a bunch of other uses. Last I checked you can't get a 120TB external.

I have good lighting conditions but even if we disregard my situation the default setting is 26% which I assume is based on regular usage in a fully lit room so what's the point of the additional 300% brightness above that?

Whats wrong with that? I just upgraded different parts at different times. I read the sticky and my monitor is already in the pic. 144hz 1ms and its what I'll keep.

i usually keep my monitor at 10-20% but if i for some reason have my blinds open i need to raise it to 50. but yeah, monitors and especially tv's are way too bright nowadays for indoor conditions.

Is the reference RX 5700 good or should I spend some more on custom models?
And if the ref model is good what brand should I buy? MSI, sapphire etc they all sell their reference model, or is it all the same shit with a different package

any frenchies has any info about red devil 5700xt?

Attached: 1565706404053.jpg (1023x682, 130K)

All reference cards have equally shit cooling performance

>when you're a Yakuza member and you still want to try and connect to your weeb son whose waifu is laifu

Fellow eurofag here, also have this question

Feels bad man.

I could get a year old 1440p 144hz tn monitor for €200 used with no dead pixels advertised. should i bite the bullet?

BTW what custom RX 5700 should I get?
I don't want a ultra expensive one.

How is this for a 1440p build?
pcpartpicker.com/list/n2J2q4
I also need a monitor but I dont know shit about them so if anyone could help with that

How good is this build? I'm thinking about just buying all the other parts now and waiting for the red devil to hit Britain. I don't have an older AMD CPU though, is there any other way to update the BIOS or is there a better motherboard I can pick up instead? If I recall someone told me to pick up the THICC motherboard but I can't remember which one exactly

Attached: Capture.png (1254x561, 80K)

powercolor red devil > pulse > asus gstrix

i'd get atleast 650w for the red devil

Shit, is the pulse less power hungry?

What if none of those are available in my country? What about the MSI evoke? Or are they still shit for AMD cards?

they just came out, ofc they wont be available, everyone and their mother are hunting them

youtube.com/watch?v=XZCRcrcqBmE&t=366s

supposedly

>b450
It's like you dont want to boot your pc

I know about all the issues sadly. Is there a different motherboard you would suggest instead? like I said i don't have an older AMD CPU but if there was another way to flash I'd be fine with it

hello niggers
ive time to spare
give me your budget and purpose and ill build no compromise pc for u cause im good man

Attached: f7c3cd991b2848b4cf848ca24ec8becd.jpg (640x1014, 53K)

aliexpress 30€ athlon 200ge

€1500 with monitor for gaymen

>Whats wrong with that?
It's a completely imbalanced pairing. At the time you would've been better off with an i5 8400 and a GTX1070.
>I read the sticky and my monitor is already in the pic. 144hz 1ms and its what I'll keep...
"1080p
RX 5700 - higher FPS"
If it's the vanilla 5700 and not the XT, cooler design isn't too important.
I'd probably save on the cooler, drop the NVMe drive for an SSD M.2, get at least a 650w PSU and aim for an X570 Aorus Elite or X570 TUF Gaming board.

pulse is baseline 5700xt more or less
but 650w is what $10-15 more? I'd go 3600x instead of 3700x though, it performs better for games and draws a bit less.

still shit

Is it basically the same shit for the non XT 5700?
So I'll probably get some custom card since the cooler isn't very important. I don't plan to overclock ever. I just don't want my PC to blow up.

bros what to buy as budget card, need 60fps in apsex thinking about 1650

Buy a 9700k if you want plug and play

>I'd go 3600x instead of 3700x though, it performs better for games and draws a bit less.
wont I become a corelet in a few years ?

someone tell me the expected performance of the "new" rx600 series compared to 1650

yea it will be the same cooler for both cards