Let's talk shells Jow Forums

Let's talk shells Jow Forums.
Which one do you use and why?

For me it's ksh93, as it's the shell that should've always been.

Attached: 754439ba9719f63e9918aaa54b7652d0c1df335d.jpg (297x400, 22K)

gshell, made by TidOS just for Jow Forums

bash, it's the de facto industry standard.

But in the confines of my private machine I sometimes use DASH which is slim and posix-compliant. POSIX-compliant scripts do execute faster with DASH rather than bash but in the realm of modern personal computers the difference is too small to have an impact. I still like to do it.

bash is slow and basically just a quick solution on prelonged life support. It'll go down, just like the others. Even Android dropped it early.

ZSH on my personal machines with a very simple oh-my-zsh theme to make it look more like bash. The only real reason I use zsh is that I prefer its vim mode, and it has good autocomplete.

All my homelab gear is bash.

>It'll go down, just like the others.
thats some serious delusion right there boy

This guy knows. I use mksh for my limited personal use but Bash is the best solution for real work.

What's the big deal with these shells? I mean, I like bash. Use it everywhere, including windows. Had to work with ksh at a job, which required me to learn shortcuts for basic actions, which seemed unnecessary cumbersome, but maybe it has hidden powers. I don't know.

I think we need to split this into two categories: scripting shells and interactive shells.
For scripting, it’s bash or bust. Yeah, going strict POSIX might be wiser, but I like some of bash’s features and I need to ensure nothing’s gonna break (I’m not about to change my system shell to dash if it’s not already dash for example).
But for interactive mode, I absolutely use something more lightweight. Typically I go with mksh, oksh, or in one instance I’ve used busybox ash. No dash though, since that seems to lack tab complete and history, unless I missed an option to turn those on.

I think that is why Bash is advantageous, is the standard and grew to be logical, while other shells have little to no place and end up being used out of personal preference.

>slow
why would you use a shell anywhere speed matters instead of a compiled language

>The only real reason I use zsh is that I prefer its vim mode,
what does it do better?

Just a reminder, most shells, including Bash, have a vi mode you can turn on with "set" command on a config file.

It actually works and has a visual indicator

>It actually works
what fails in bash vi? I've noticed some annoyances but it's ok

Personal preference I guess. Other than ancient *nix systems and their unique shells I've never seen shells other than bash.
Quick search tells me that both zsh and fish (both are popular) advertise themselves as *interactive* shells, so I guess it's fine.

Are there any shells that are actually reasonable to use for scripting?

I consider myself semi-experienced but the amount of trouble I have with bash scripting makes me feel like one of those brainlet wojaks

unix is gay

>has a visual indicator
bash has an visual indicator too, you just have to enable/configure it via .intputrc.

t. used to use vi-mode in bash until I got a job.

python

Just use Perl at that point.

Shell scripting is fucking painful, no matter what.

Nope. It's either bash or POSIX-compliant scripting which is more complicated than bash scripting since bash has many built-in features that make the job easier.

Unless you just want to script for your own personal computer, in which case do whatever the fuck you want, just mind that mastering scripting in an obscure shell with obscure shell-specific functionalities is not a very "transferable" skill. I'd say out of all the shells trying to wrangle bash would be the most productive use of your time.

I don't like them. All of them suck if you want to do anything more than simple pipelines on human-facing interface. Special-purpose language argument is flawed here as they even suck at what they are meant to be used for.

this.

This. There's great advantages in learning a scripting language. Perl, python and ruby are often installed by default anyway.

yes, at some point any types (even very soft types) really pay off instead of having to mind juggle how a string will be interpreted by a command and having to mind-juggle layers of escaping quotes to make scripts work

yes, you loose some power because scripting can be really expressive for some certain operations that have commands specialized for them, but the mental clarity of working with types really pays off beyond a very low threshold

PowerShell, obviously.

It's so verbose

rc

Name a thing you've ever used (power-)shell for.