Phones are pushing 1440p or higher resolutions even on budget models

>Phones are pushing 1440p or higher resolutions even on budget models
>Laptops are still pushing 768p or 1080p

Why are laptops so behind in 2019?

Attached: 1563995221978.jpg (750x817, 87K)

Laptops now run 4k or 1080p panels that are very cheap. What are you on about? Even my laptop from 2013 is sporting 2880 x 1800. Stop being poor.

Maybe because phones are meant for entertainment and laptops for work.. I do not see the point of 2k on mobiles tho. But there's this competition to have the biggest COCK. And screen resolution might be a thing to compete for.

>4K OLED in a phone full of features
>$800

>4K OLED in a TV that can't do anything else
>$1600

Big think. The only reason I can think of is that larger panels are harder to make and transport, but it's still ridiculous.

Resolutions higher than 1080p are a meme on both phones and laptops. Higher res only becomes necessary on large monitors and TVs. The reason phones are pushing high res is because they're desperately trying to resist commoditization by shoving every gimmick they can think of to justify a high price, while PC manufacturers have already accepted that their product is a commodity and are more focused on providing a good price/feature ratio

no one needs anything more than 1080p on any screen under 20''
its all nonsense to get you to pay a premium

Maybe you shouldn't be buying PC laptops, Damien.

Larger panels is exactly it. More chance of manufacturing defects so the yields are lower and the average price has to increase.

More like why are phone resolutions so hopelessly high at no practical benefit?

As for computers: a lot of legacy software and even modern software still doesn't do resolution scaling right, or in cases at all for that matter. Therefore computer monitors generally still need to maintain a certain range of pixel density to even make things readable and practically useable.

>Phones are pushing 1440p or higher resolutions even on budget models
name them

Attached: 1553014888632.png (322x432, 109K)

As for computers: a lot of legacy software and even modern software still doesn't do resolution scaling right, or in cases at all for that matter. Therefore computer monitors generally still need to maintain a certain range of pixel density to even make things readable and practically useable.
For Windoze 10 at least, you can just right click on desktop -> display settings and change your internal resolution to something lower to fix compatibility with old programs. It's kinda a hacky workaround and it's not that useful if you want to multitask and only have one monitor, but it at least makes old programs useable

Funnily enough a lot of the high end phones have decided to go back to slightly lower resolutions recently.
And only literal bargain bin tier laptops have 768p.

general windows scaling issues, also tards will try to play their rocket league in 4K on a laptop with x40M tier GPU and complain it lags

size = cost

Amen.
/thread

the smaller the panel the higher the yelds

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

who here still /720pCHAD/

Desktop OS's don't scale well

my laptop is 4k

I haven't had a laptop with a 768p or 1080p screen since 2015.

>Even my laptop from 2013 is sporting 2880 x 1800
same, its even a touchscreen
T550 masterrace

I don't undersand the meaning of the word "commodity" here.

A 15 inch screen with a resolution greater than 1080p is fucking silly.
You can't distinguish the pixels from normal viewing distance, so what's the fucking point besides benchracing

I guess he's saying phones manufacturers are worried they'll be treated like Motorola instead of Samsung.

Not him but:
>In business literature, commoditization is defined as the process by which goods that have economic value and are distinguishable in terms of attributes (uniqueness or brand) end up becoming simple commodities in the eyes of the market or consumers.

Commodity in this context is an object that everybody owns and does not care particularly about the specific brand or how unique is, like for example kitchen appliances

For example, a retailer sold you a "Bosch ErgoMixx MSM67170", but for you it's just a fucking blender.
Commoditization is already present in the low-end of smartphone market where it's just a "phone". Only high-end devices have avoided this fate but only because of huge manufacturer's pressure to delay it and somewhat because a high-end phone is still somewhat of a status symbol

My laptop has a tn 720 something pannel
and a 950m and still plays everything at 30-45 fps i paid 270$ for it and games are free

1080p @ 15.6" is more than enough
Higher resolutions are okay but unessecary, especially because they cause extra strain on the gpu

Is the failure/dud rate for large panels that high?

because you hold your phone screen much closer to your face than your laptop screen

The rest of the laptop hardware is expensive as fuck. 1000+ usd laptops usually have 1440p or better displays

said by a man who has never used a 4k screen

This

More like the bigger something is the harder it is to keep flat, and to make a flat panel screen it needs to be flat as it can be as layers are stacked, go fucking figure
Substrate cost is also an issue
You can pump out hundreds of useful smartphone screens out of a single substrate but best case for a TV sized screen may only be 4

low yields, sell less, more expensive to transport and so on

And you replied to him as if he claimed it made no difference. It does make a difference. It can be a huge difference depending on the type of work you do on a laptop He said "more than enough" and I agree with that statement especially for general-purpose computing.

Scaling is wonky for anything that isn't macOS and Gnome. And despite the fact I use primarily gnome both privately and at work I would prefer not having to use scaling at all. In essence 4K is more taxing on the battery (higher resolution means more component that obscures the backlight which requires backlight to be slightly brighter to achieve the same result), more taxing on the GPU and the only benefit you get from it when considering general-purpose use is a sharper text at distances you rarely work at when using a laptop. 1080p is more than enough.

>that kid that always picked the futa doujin

Galaxy S8 and up

because normies still buy enough 1366 x 768

my years old 13 MacBook is 2500x1600, not sure what you are talking about OP

:^)

>OLED
Shit durability, no thanks. Until quantum dots / microLED / some other new technology takes over, IPS / PLS / AHVA will remain the best you can get.

The prevalence of 1366x768 on laptops is especially egregious given how fucking PHONES are commonly at 1080p or above nowadays, even though a mere 720p on a phone screen is already more or less beyond the ability to individually resolve pixels.

Meanwhile my laptop looks like a goddamn gameboy screen where you can see the pixel grid.

>but there are laptops higher than 1366x768!
Yeah, but they commonly jew you over by only having them as upgrades, or only available in premium laptops.

I would agree with this if you said 1440p instead. I can't stand using 1080p monitors now that I've gotten used to 4k but 1440p monitors don't bother me at all

People who use phones outside of placing calls and the occasional text or last resort internet search in a pinch are subhumans. There's nothing fun about playing a game on a phone or watching a video. It's just retarded simplification of controls made for tards and people with small hands who want neck problems. Watching videos is pointless on a phone. The only useful features I have even bothered with are IR blasters and AM/FM tuners built in. Let's face it though most of you faggots just use them as virtue signalling apparel or maintaining the illusion of a social network with people who wouldn't lose a night of sleep if you got burned alive.

bitter

I have
4k is very nice for productivity, however for most general use it is entirely unessecary, _especially_ for smaller screens

There's lots of 4k laptops. Mine is 4k touchscreen and I love it. You just need to not be poor.
>no content
Lots of 2D anime is in high res these days for the connoisseur, such as myself.

Attached: Screenshot (35).jpg (3840x2160, 3.36M)

post image

/thread

nononono sh-shut up m-my t440p stinkpad is better f-fucking apple p-pajeet. I bet you cant upgrade it like m-mine. M-milspec f-faggot.

Attached: seething pink.jpg (236x282, 14K)

Because if you tell a middle aged person to spend more than a few hundred dollars on a device that isn't a phone they would lose their shit and make a stern and upset post on their facebook profile for nobody to see.

If I get really close to my 14" WQHD screen say 10" I can still see pixels on fonts so.....

Yeah I want 4k.

7th gen X1 has a 500 nit 4k screen hhnnnggggggg

Yeah. I have to be two feet away 1.5 feet away from my 28" 4K monitor to see individual pixels.

Smaller screens = less pixels.

See it in the eyes of the consumer.
>phone
>insanely high DPI
"Wow it looks so nice!"
>laptop
>high DPI
"I can't read that on the laptop, it sucks."

That's literally why.

Imagine the level of grease on those controllers

Retards are still buying them. People don't want to pay more than ~$800, so they're not getting HiDPI screens. They're on the market for everyone who wants one.

Phones have to display much more shit in a smaller area, so it makes sense. But going from 1080p to 1440p provides diminishing returns, for sure.

LG G3

Is that fucking nhentai.net?

768 is patrician choice bitch. Saves resources for more important shit

Look at this worthless faggot. wants 4k but cant tell the difference from 1440p...resource wasting dipshit

Hey I'm sure many people still cared whether their brand of appliances are Philips or Bosch.

THIS IS THE REASON YOU DENSE MONGOLOIDS! pic related is overwhelmingly the most used kind of VR. hence the need for a dense screen resolution of phones dumbfucks.
meanwhile nobody is strapping a laptop monitor thier fucking face. god you people are fucking morons.

Attached: 2cb07688-5c63-453c-9517-6d5afc3c00bd_1.e70d8ca8b59fbfcf868022f4f253cd36.jpg (450x450, 18K)

>falling for the 4k meme
>falling for the 4k meme on a phone of all things

Attached: 4k meme.jpg (875x625, 139K)

>touchscreen good
Enjoy that glossy and extremely glare screen full of glossy fingerprints.

I mean who the fuck uses touchscreen for computers. Are you a filthy casual or something? This is the scum why we had Windows 8 (and eventually the crappy 10).

>Using "new" Windows photo viewer
Fag

What's the Jow Forums approved photo-viewer?

Apple doesnt have this problem

4k - 3-5 feet away - 55 inch

god did I ever go right with my monitor.

ifranview

yes, being displayed on what i presume is a pc meant to run dolphin emu and at a mcdonalds

here you go

lol heaps of laptops have 4k screens you're just buying cheap laptops

>budget phone 1440p
Yeah na

You can even get 4k Oled now on laptops

lol you're blind as fuck, it's like an instant difference between the 2

Also, your ability to detect the difference decreases with age.

Hey early adopters, how's those 3D tv's workin' fer ya?

Attached: Alucard 3d tv sucks.jpg (500x281, 28K)

hydrus

Shut the fuck up retarded tripfaggot. Kill yourself

MSPaint in WINE

feh or sxiv

Because you look at your phone's screen from a very short distance, the density must be high in order for fonts and images to looks nice and crisp.

Based applechad

>high resolution on small screens
WHY IS THIS FUCKING GENERATION SO FUCKING GODDAMN DUMB AND FALLING FOR THIS OBVIOUS GODDAMN MARKETING GARBAGE?
I'd be ashamed if I were you, kids. Ashamed.

not all of us are blind grandpa

>Galaxy S8
>budget model

I've had a hi-dpi laptop since 2012.