OS

So what is the best operating system in your opinion, Jow Forums? Be it based on utility, privacy or just aesthetic?

I hear a lot of people like gentoo. What's so great about it?

Attached: 8-gentoo-linux.jpg (700x560, 48K)

gentoo is just the hardest one to install

Windows 10 Pro + oosu10
You can get there ISO from microsoft.com for free, btw

Windows 7

Windows 10 LTSC

gentoo is a meme

Guys I seem to be having problems with the windows 10 update v1903. The battery is plugged in but not charging. Tried all the fixes listed online but it ain't working. Last month there were audio issues. I've had enough of Microsoft's bullshit. Thinking of going back to the previous build and installing Ubuntu after that

gentoo isn't hard at all, just takes time. after that you get a very customizable and stable OS

OpenBSD is good.

Solaris.
For personal use, it's Windows and no second place exists.

Windows XP

unironically macOS. It is pretty based, takes up almost no resources, keeps processor cool and battery time high.

No, sweet child. The meme is "install Gentoo." Gentoo in itself is not a meme. It's one of the best distros.

>Linux
Ubuntu for a workstation.
Debian for freedom and privacy.

>BSD
OpenBSD for privacy/security.
FreeBSD for everything else.

>Windows
Windows 10
Windows 8 if you don't want to use 10

Ideally you want OpenBSD on your router, FreeBSD and Debian on your servers, Ubuntu on your workstation, and Windows 10 on your everyday consumerism/vidya machine.

Attached: 1544506829819.jpg (600x800, 100K)

GuixSD is the best in my opinion, is so versatile and configurable and still simple is way better to other models. Is a simple programming language based on Lisp but modern, and is used for everything.

I use CRUX btw

This. Linux is best for work, any type of work, though unfortunately the lack of some tools like MSOffice makes it not very popular in enterprise settings. It's a shame, because even 55-year old Gladys would be able to work a MATE installation far better than Windows. It would also be far more secure and far less easy to fuck up.

Windows, though, remains superior for leisure and home use.

Linux user here.
Cant windows users get some minimal windows iso somewhere, disable updates, and install drivers only?

There is no best, only less shit for a particular use case.
Gentoo is a meme, not even fully free. :^)

Attached: attentiongrabbingimage.jpg (979x1099, 151K)

Linux is not best for "any kind of work", it's great for specific kinds of work.
There is no master of all trades when it comes to OS'es.

It's the hardest, compared to other operating systems, which usually provide an installing wizard. It's not hard insofar as installing an operating system is not hard.

Debian or Arch + Windows in a VM for your win32 needs.

I tried portage once. It gave me cancer.

For me, it's openSUSE Tumbleweed. It's rolling release, easy to use, tested and stabilized before releases, has the second fastest package manager after pacman. Snapper + btrfs makes rollbacks easy, never have to worry about a broken system. AND it's a major distribution so it has a good development team, large repositories and community support unlike the hundreds of hipster distros.

GNU/Linux is not perfect, but it's the best we have right now. And Gentoo is unironically the best GNU/Linux distribution out there.
Only newfags are pushing the "Gentoo is a meme" meme.

It literally only accepts free software licenses by default, and the default installation includes zero nonfree software.
The only things preventing it from being FSF-approved are not using the name GNU and providing nonfree packages in their official repository. I understand these arguments, but I can live with that. Guix is looking promising though, it might surpass it in the future.

This is one of those new imemeutable OS's, right? I'm not sure why, but I don't like them. I also don't like flatpack/appimage or any of that noise. I don't really understand what they're supposed to accomplish so that could be the reason.

based

I hate ESR so much.
He did more damage to free software than any other figure.

gentoo, but it needs improvement.
Like, enforcing licensing to represent the program, rather than doing program-name-license and probably inaccurate gplv* licenses.
A gentoo that can work with pure sources would be nice too.

Windows 10 Pro

the sanctity of spirituality brought me comfort over the years and I just sort of exploded one day here and there.

Based 2002 poster.

If you want to play games.
Gentoo with gpu passthrough and Windows 10.

If you want to play (less) games.
Pure Gentoo.

>Thinking pic related was Eric Raymond