Why does the internet still feel like it's designed for 4:3 monitors

Recently I hooked up an old 4:3 monitor to my PC for a multi-monitor setup and I quickly realized that browsing the web on it is super comfy. It almost feels like websites are designed for 4:3 aspect and get stretched out and have a bunch of whitespace added in the margins for 16:9. Why is this? 16:9 has been the standard for over a decade, why have websites still not adapted to showing content in ways that take advantage of widescreen aspect?

Attached: 3-4_monitor.jpg (2422x2874, 1.34M)

There not really a need to stretch out the paragraphs of websites and make them super-wide. Plus, it also makes it easier to have a consistent design on phones/tablets in portrait mode.

Because everything is trying to balance between wide screen monitors and skinny phone displays, so the balance ends up being roughly a good fit for 4:3, purely by coincidence. I agree it's annoying but as long as people are using phones as their primary way of visiting websites, no one will bother really taking advantage of a wide screen.

If you're just reading something then you could just add more columns, but what about forums and imageboards?

Attached: Screenshot%202014-06-05%2008.56.42.png (2528x1154, 906K)

Has it ever occurred to you that you're able to NOT maximize your browser window, especially not horizontally, but just vertically, and use that extra horizontal space for other stuff?
It's a literal non-issue, but your zoomer pseudonostalgia needs to kick in.

Because 4:3 is the master race

The internet is designed for 19:9 6 inch screens.

Espicially when sides are often used for ad banners.
Adblock + 4:3 = comfy af

The majority of internet users went from 4:3 Windows PC screens to 16:9 vertical phone screens

cringe

Most content doesn't make sense when it uses the full width. 16:9 works well for movies, but not for text. Text is best when it's 60-80 characters per line. If you make it wider, it just makes reading awkward.

This. I've tried full screen browsing where the text ends up a mile long. The problem is that it makes reading a game of how to move your head and yes instead of the way we are used to reading books, which is actually closer to that of a phone screen. Now I don't enjoy web browsing on phones, and like having a wide screen for most all things, except web pages with a lot to read. Then I take the window back down to a narrower size.

Because it's designed for 1280x720, 1280x800, and 1366x768, which are aren't any/are barely wider than 1280x1024.

Just rotate your 16:9 by 90 degrees.
All the web pages are suddenly comfier than ever.

Portrait mode 16:9 web browsing is god tier

4:3 is simply the superior ratio. If they were made bigger, high-res, and affordable, I'd gladly buy one instead of a shitty "wide" (actually short) screen.

Widescreen aspect ratios don't work well for reading/writing because you have to move your head.

That monitor is 5:4, though.
1280x1024 is 5:4, not 4:3.

internet is made for phones
phones don't care about widescreen

>use that extra horizontal space for other stuff?

You shouldn't though. If you're browsing, you'll want the window to be in the middle of the screen, leaving no space for anything on the sides.

I hate how tech has been 'standardized' in so many dumb ways so that you can't actually buy a thing you want even if that would be no trouble.

Why is it that you people are incapable of using the Zoom function in your browser? Ctrl-+, make it big enough to fill the screen, enjoy crisp text that you don't have to squint to read.

The problem is that you're using your screen wrong. You think you have a 16:9 but it's actually 9:16. Wake up, sheeple.

Based.
>Why does the internet still feel like it's designed for 4:3 monitors
No it's not it's designed for vertical scrolling. Be grateful the sites are not exclusively mobile UI for now

the internet is designed for mobile phones

Because your eyes are designed for 4:3 at close viewing distance. The only reason multimedia is widescreen is you watch it from a distance and can take in the whole thing. With monitors for computers that you sit right in front of, you're basically only looking right at the fucking thing and really can't see anything to the side.
Widescreen monitors were a mistake.

Message/notes composer, with hyperlinks synchronized with the thread so you can pick choice messages to reply/syncretize in a compendium post. [spoiler] Or different threads in the same topic, with swipe right to select the next one[/tfwnospoilers]

Quick reminder that the World Wide Web is not the Internet.

Because the recommended width of text is about 80 columns. That's the easiest to read, and there's a whole lot of text on the internet.

Also, 4:3 is the best.

It’s the average between monitor and mobile

I always browse in a 1920x1920 window.

cringe

Is almost like you should not maximize your browser window

try 9:16.

Because you're conditioned to read starting with the top left of anything, as monitors got wider, text going all the way to the right just got awkward to read. Also 4:3 is a meme for nostalgic retards, I'd call them boomers but I'm probably older than the people who never stop fucking going on about how CRT is peak monitor design (it isn't)

Attached: file.png (481x348, 390K)

BUT what if you need to watch a high quality video?

>If you're browsing, you'll want the window to be in the middle of the screen

I just thought of something. Most user interfaces seem to be designed to incentivize you to maximize whatever window you are using. But classic Mac OS did not. Its "expand window" button still didn't maximize it. You always had some of the desktop visible, because much of the interaction involved dragging things to the desktop.

Attached: mac_os_9.png (1024x768, 60K)

CRT is good not because of aspect ratio, you fucking idiot.

I didn't say it was, you fucking idiot. It's the same close-minded retards that think 4:3 is ideal because they grew up with it, though. Ironically actual boomers tend to use 16:9

Nah brah

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-07-00-39-25-929_com.google.android.youtube.png (2160x1080, 1.3M)

>thread about aspect ratio
>brings up "CRT autism"
>"I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS, I DIDN'T"
Cringe.

it's almost like you can't change the size of your window

Seems kinda impracticable if you wanna go on a playlist binge while reading forums at the same time

I tried this once, but then it just makes monitor too tall.

This. Reading works better with shorter lines because you can read more than one line at a time enabling speed-reading. With loooooooooong lines the content beneath is contextually too far away to make sense.

Jack and Jill
went up a hill
to fetch a pail of water.

This all fits within your cone of detail vision.
If you spread it out you're reading about Jack falling down and breaking his crown as they're going up the hill and it's just too many narratives going on at once.

Subtitles going edge to edge are much slower to read.

It's also easier to keep track of which line you're on with shorter lines.

seems kinda retarded to make a post about how you could have a maxed video while reading a forum at the same time

Can you please tell me a good solution? You making me scared

yikes

this
it is easier to read narrower paragraphs, this is why scientific papers and stuff are always formatted double column (and some people think that you're more likely to agree with something if it is easier to read/understand)
true chads use a 16:9 monitor but rotate it

Why did 3:2 never catch on anywhere aside from Microsoft Surface tablets? It's the standard aspect ratio for photography and most books are 3:2 unfolded.

Responsive design was replaced by mobile-first as the dominant design philosophy. Half of websites present for tiny 9:16 phone screens with as little text on the screen at once as possible, irrespective of viewport size.

>being so ADD you can't even focus enough on something you're readign to have it be the only thing on the screen, gotta have twitter or some shit up in another window

You're the zoomer if that's the case... P.S. you're not multitasking, you're just getting distracted.

iPhones were 3:2 before they went widescreen.

Your eyes have a pretty narrow field of good focus. Outside this you only have an unfocused input to spot moving things coming from your sides.

Attached: debiruf.png (178x336, 44K)

>t. linelets

and the applications were designed to have bounded sizes meaning their interfaces got more awkward if you resized them too big. what is your point though?

Get something like this.
1920x1920 1:1
You get the width and the height

Attached: 279878.jpg (500x500, 12K)

>iPhones were 3:2 before they went widescreen.
Before they went longscreen. The way phones display text is still narrow. No one rotates their phone to read anything and very few rotate for web pages. There's a reason people hate reading PDFs on a monitor. Wide might be good for video and games and other things but reading most content is just awkward af of you go wide with the text.

Someone should bring out 16x10 "gaming" monitors and people would jump on them

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1024x474, 48K)

To be fair, text is annoying to read when it's actually spread out to take up all the space on a 16:9 screen, because of how your eyes need to scan further that way. Even when I'm not doing anything else, I almost always browse Jow Forums in a window taking up half my screen, just because it makes the text easier to read in this way.

But it's not really that big of a deal, because it means on a 16:9 you get multitask easier because most pages fit perfectly well taking up half of the screen.

That's exactly why i love my 21:9 ultrawide,It's pretty much just dual 5:4 monitors.
Max comfy.

Essentially we are stuck with designers having "visions" rather than people caring about users doing real work.