Fiber becomes available

>fiber becomes available
>it's cheap
>go to sign up
>customers are required to use supplied gateway wifi device
>ask service rep if there is a bridged option available
>says not for fiber connections only DSL
Fuck this. At least with cable I can use my own modem and router and configure my LAN exactly how I want.

Attached: fiber-optic-min[1].jpg (4000x2252, 613K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dslreports.com/forum/r32192051-~time=1542502489
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

don't live in a shithole.

So turn on DMZ to your preferred router? Yes it's a bit of a workaround but is it really that big of a deal?

Just connect the router you wanna use to their one and have everything on a subnet

Ask them to disable the wifi and DMZ to your own router

you dumb motherfucker

Attached: 1565903778513.jpg (250x250, 25K)

I know how you feel, however my ISP provided a gateway and a router that was bridged to their gateway ( optical unit ). It's bridged, in theory i don't have access but since the PPPOE connection on the router allows connections without encryption to the PPPOE server i just sniffed the PPPOE credentials and used my own router.

>customers are required to use supplied gateway wifi device
Are you sure?

My ISP says you can only use their router, but if you plug your own router into the ONT, it works without any problems, unless you have TV service then you have to use their router for TV guide info, and on-demand content.

But if you don't have TV, you can use whatever router you feel like.

Attached: 8510325162.png (350x200, 21K)

Wrap it with tinfoil, set up a vpn and enjoy your high speed connection.

>bro just triple NAT that shit!
Retards

>Are you sure?
Yes check out ATTs website/forums.

This isn't about security. It's about having to use some ISP supplied locked down piece of trash.

And the sad part is I'm probably still going to get it because Comcast is way more expensive for worse speeds.

>If your a internet only fiber customer then you can do this.

>1. spoof mac address of your ATT gateway into your router.
>2. unhook everything.
>3. Hook up a dumb switch and plug in your ONT to one port of the switch.
>4. Hook up your ATT gateway to any other port of the switch.
>5. Power up the switch and ATT gateway and let the gateway sync to the ATT system.
> 6. After sync up unplug the gateway from switch and turn on your own router. Done.

dslreports.com/forum/r32192051-~time=1542502489

/thread

probably took a whole 45 seconds of googling.

you can swap it using a switch you brainlet

It isn't your connection degenerate. You didn't install the fiber, you don't maintain the servers, you don't run the service.
Don't like it? Get another service, snowflake

>fiber becomes available 12 years ago
>it just works
I use my own router btw. Feels good living in Europe.

Attached: 1490895536882.gif (320x384, 2.23M)

>It isn't your connection degenerate
but it is, it should be owned by the taxpayers

Did the tax payers personally dig up the lines and put them down, cuck?

yes, the taxpayer paid for it all

ehhh, tax payers pay for backhaul fiber, actual deployment to a customer from a local node is more than likely not payed for with tax payer $.

>not torturing yourself with adslv2+ with 12mpbs rx and 1mbps tx in $(date +%Y)
i live in a former village that became a "city" after in-country-immigration because some fuck decided to put a shitload of industrial stuff here. gotta love the turkish mentality.

it's one more hop, it doesn't fucking matter

Ya, it probably comes installed with some key for whatever retarded encryption they use between the device and the ONT. Some autismo fuck reversed it enough that the supplied router is used to do whatever challenge only and once its authenticated, you can just bypass it entirely.

Ok, now I remember. You just need an eap proxy to send the eap challenge to their shitty router device.

You can probably google eap_proxy and find a guide to bypass the shitty provided router from your isp.

Long as it does DHCP and port forwarding why the hell should you care? It ain't like your doing anything illegal are you. (Even if you were you know there does exist a thing called a "firewall" and a VPN).

This day and age hell those ISP fucks would be shocked if you weren't downloading songs and shit. It ain't nothing to them.

Or take one end of your ISP device and plug it into the wan port of any router you got. Now have all your devices connect to that 2nd router as normal. Problem fixed. Any one trying to get to you from "net" side would hit your 2nd router and be stuck.

but it still sucks electricity

I was in Turkey for vacation this spring!
pretty nice country (terrain wise), user.

ISPs dont even fucking care what your endpoints are anyways unless the government takes interest anyways.
All they care about is your port stats such as bitrate and bandwidth anyways.

There are plenty of towns (something like 750, IIRC) in the US that have municipal run fiber systems. I live in one of them. The service & pricing here is well, adequate - slightly better than the one cable company.

My county has municipal fiber, but it's only available to businesses, as it's meant to encourage business development in the area, and gives nothing to the residents.

Verizon laid all their own fiber here as well though, so residents do get fiber access in that manner.