Why microsoft decided to kill the start button

>In an interview with PC Pro, the company has revealed that telemetry data was a big part of the decision to scrap the Start button and traditional Start menu in Windows 8.

>theverge.com/2012/6/28/3122873/windows-8-start-button-explanation-chaitanya-sareen

wangblows eternally btfo

Attached: images (89).jpg (505x405, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-users-never-heard-of-gnu.html
invidio.us/watch?v=Rhj8sh1uiDY
ghacks.net/2019/07/11/did-microsoft-just-drop-the-telemetry-bomb-on-windows-7-users-without-telling-anyone/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Windows is garbage. Not news. People who support it are manchild “gamers”. Others just tolerate it because they’re poor for macOS or too stupid for Linux.

WINJEETS BTFO

Attached: satan.gif (220x216, 39K)

Words of wisdom right there

>Discussing application pinning in Windows 7, Microsoft's Chaitanya Sareen explains that the company has witnessed a "trend" towards using the new taskbar as a way to simply launch applications rather than navigating to links within the Start menu. Data gathered from the company's Customer Experience Improvement Program led Microsoft to conclude that Start menu usage was dropping.
This is unironically correct. How many of you actually use the start menu for anything other than search? Also
>2012

No-one actually uses the start menu other than clueless boomers. Normal people just hit the Windows key and type whatever program they want to start.

I have the odd custom shortcut in my Start menu (e.g. Firefox profile for sites that don't play nice with uMatrix) but yeah, search or use the taskbar to launch apps.

I only use Windows for DAW and games. If both of those worked the way I liked on Linux I'd definitely ditch Windows. MS Office is better than LibreOffice but I think I could adjust eventually.

Why would a Windows user use an ad blocker?

>Linux
It's called "GNU/Linux"
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-users-never-heard-of-gnu.html

>Normal people just hit the Windows key and type things and watch as it fails to ever find what they write and after retyping a few times they use the start menu where it's right fucking there

Dude, how do i get a dick as big as yours?

So a big corps who use windows on their environment are manchild gamers. Ok.

My start menu still works.

this

B&R

>so a big corps who use wangblows because they are too dumb to move to something better are similar to manchild gamers
yes, pretty much

It's bloat. Just use the windows key.

I use some custom shortcuts in the start menu as well, but there is virtually no difference between those and the Windows 8 start screen.
Which DAW do you use?

> It's called Gnu/Linux
It's just called Linux. Gnu and FSF are the cancer of open source and should be abolished. No sane white person is ever going to worship your jewish footlicking pedo overlord.

>open source
Hi, IBM.

>jewish footlicking pedo overlord
what do you mean? does RMS have a foot fetish?

This.

>Tfw forced to keep wangblows on computer because engineering job requires specific software.

Attached: tumblr_omvbzd7Z6y1u349h5o1_500.jpg (459x446, 44K)

>Others just tolerate it because they’re poor for macOS

You're overpaying for a Unix fork with a sticker on it.

>it's called Windows/NT
>it's called MacOS/Darwin
Just GNU is fine

Attached: 1565759283927.png (1225x1716, 2.03M)

>telemetry data

Attached: society.jpg (1000x563, 94K)

>too stupid for Linux.
I take you've never heard of Ubuntu with GNOME DE? It is turbo normie like Windows with less problems.

Open sores is the cancer of GNU and free software, so it should be abolished.
It should be called "GNU/Linux" because most distributions are made from those two essential components. Windows, macOS X and BSD, on the other hand, are a combined bundle of components made to work with each other and ONLY with each other.

I thought you satanichia autists hated iToddlers or whatever word you kiddos use these days.

>manchild "gamers"
Coming from a Linux weeb. Every desktop thread is full of terminal programs and weeb color schemes and papes.

There is a fairly disgusting recording. Lurk for a week and you may see it.

So is "telemetry" ever not code for "we want a justification for removing as many features as possible"? Because that's all I've ever seen this kind of data collection used for.

Attached: 1559771738907.jpg (181x250, 6K)

Wait wait. So Stallman was right??????????

Attached: wtfcat.gif (300x208, 1.75M)

I actually liked the start screen menu, I used it liked a 2nd desktop just for shortcuts without having to press the show desktop button and losing the ability to put them all back in place after opening something

No, it's code for we're spying on you, building and constantly refining a profile.
And they don't care if you know about it, because it doesn't seem to matter to you.

it's a meme about a misunderstood video recording. he was just scraching his foot and put his hand near his mouth a single time, but he doesn't eat foot fungi.
invidio.us/watch?v=Rhj8sh1uiDY
eat shit and die

based
based retard
open-source is cancer, and you wouldn't have it without the GNU project

what the fuck, did you read anything other than the title??? they're talking about how they used data collected from the CEIP (just one click to opt-out for all system apps!) to decide on this new system, not that they made this change to be able to spy on you more or w/e

Piss off, seriously
If you care about your privacy, having your OS consist of a trillion small programs by random fucking people who can drop dead at any moment without replacement won't help you
Just ONE bad actor and you're fucked
Especially because Linux can't into app-based firewalls, or even just network traffic monitoring
Try and disable ALL crash reporting in EVERY SINGLE ELEMENT of your shit distro, and then all the crap you throw on there. Fucking try it, I dare you.
>b-b-b-but muh botnet!!!
Windows 7. CEIP off. Remove WAT. Restrictive TinyWall. There. No more botnet. Trust me, I've tested it many times, because I actually care, and don't throw a buzzword (botnet) at everything I dislike.
Aside, I've looked at the desktop threads. There's one thing clear. You're right in that Linux users game less. In fact, they don't do anything at all. The only programs they have are some shit music player and the web browser. Amazing. So all you do is listen to music, shitpost, watch anime and rice. Really productive.
The chance of seeing productivity tools on a Win users' taskbar in a desktop thread is like 100x bigger. My task bar is literally always fucking overflowing, has multiple pages because I ACTUALLY FUCKING DO THINGS
You are a shill, and a bad one at that - every time I see anyone post this BS, they can just as well be dead to me. They don't do anytjing in their lives, they don:t care about the things they claim to. They're a sack of lies and aren't afraid to show it just to feel superior, to gatekeep who can be in their elite L33TNUX hugbox.

Microsoft is not interested in its operating system. They understand that cloud and software as a service is the future. They'll kill Windows during our life time and replace it with a free alternative aka Linux.

Attached: roasted.gif (498x280, 2.9M)

>Misses the point that every proprietary black box operating system is just a collection of small programs, just packaged so that others can't see it.
>If one person drops dead, no more updates. AKA does not realize what forking is and what the nature of open source is even about.
>I removed a couple of factors from one huge black box that I know little to nothing about.
>I've tested it, trust me.
>I-I actually care, you guys are just saying meme words!!!!

I respect you for giving Windows 7 the love it deserves, as it is the last respectable operating system Microsoft will ever produce, but everything else is 100% Microcuck territory.

Attached: 1540814727990.png (563x303, 12K)

>trillion small programs by random fucking people who can drop dead at any moment without replacement won't help you
>Just ONE bad actor and you're fucked

...so just like Microsoft?

>Especially because Linux can't into app-based firewalls, or even just network traffic monitoring

Says who retard? Linux has more isolation and containment software, including syscall filtering and policy tools than windows. Windows intentionally cucks security conscious people so to push people to using nonfree and insecure slavshit software.

The rest of your post is just too retarded to reply to.

>linux autist tricks himself into thinking having a lack of software is an advantage
>AGAIN
Pitiful. Have a wallpaper on me.

Attached: 1564414261591.jpg (1920x1080, 149K)

lol lincucks in denial.

>Windows 7. CEIP off. Remove WAT. Restrictive >TinyWall. There. No more botnet.

Not quite, CEIP is one of the many things you need to disable/block on Windows 7

Attached: WPD.jpg (849x1553, 116K)

So that's how they justify their lazy design.

>Relying on some negro to make an App™® to disable built-in spyware
>Next Windows Update it bricks it without your knowledge

The absoloute state of Wintoddlers.

Suddup GNUtard

ITT: literal damage control

I never use the taskbar. Ever. I almost exclusively use pinned start menu shortcuts to launch shit.

>searching
I never search for anything unless I only rarely use the program I'm looking for.

>Linux is hard
fucking linux virgins

Attached: 1555713490947.png (511x515, 29K)

And yet it returned with Windows 8.1
Telemetry my ass.

>How many of you actually use the start menu for anything other than search?
The problem with Windows' start menu is that it offers no proper automatic organization. All programs just get jumbled together. Compare that to pic related.

Attached: linux-mint-run-software-manager.png (800x600, 136K)

Because anyone who knows jack shit turns off CEIP on day 1

>hit windows key
>type in the first 3 letters of "office"
>Microsoft Office appears
>type in every letter of "office"
>windows shits itself and doesn't bring up a single thing other than a fucking Bing search
How the fuck can they make something so shitty in 2019?

Searching to open everything is exactly why I had no issue with windows 8. Don’t post on this board if you actually use your mouse to open things

>components made to work with each other and ONLY
Windows works just fine when I compile it for GNU on the Linux kernel.
Good luck running a GNU program on a different kernel and/or userspace without recompiling

>distributions are made from those two essential components. Windows, macOS X and BSD, on the other hand, are a combined bundle of components made to work with each other and ONLY with each other.
No, Windows used to run on DOS components. Now it runs on a kernel called NT.
Its always been called Windows.

Attached: 1521917625284.jpg (960x439, 94K)

I don't understand.
You compile windows...

"Not a lot of people actually used apps outsode of the appstore and it was a lot of code to maintain so we're removing non-store app install lmao"

LMAO, coping this hard
Linux is not ready to be a personal desktop environment, for a myriad reasons.
Chiefly, bugs instable versions, lack of desktop features and user and hw support.

Attached: office.png (783x678, 65K)

Also, Xorg and the redundancy of 1498 distros existing.

Start has been shit since 8. No wonder people don't use it it is blocked and shit
>waste space and bigger icons.

Fpbp, B&R

>windows 10 comes with laptop
>use powershell and regedit to debotnet
>use firewall to block telemetry
>pirate stardock start10
fuck you tinyflaccid. i'm on top of the food chain now

Attached: 1521099218085.png (365x392, 403K)

no, it's just linux

it's not gnu/linux
it's gnu/linux/systemd/gnome/mozilla/red hat/nsa

>or too stupid for Linux
BTFO

>all you do is listen to music, shitpost, watch anime and rice.
Based af

Attached: AlbumArt.png (700x700, 156K)

the start menu before windows 10 was actually useful you know, you can customize it to have anything you want
it's literally just a fucking folder full of shortcuts, that's it, if you spent five minutes in the properties and folder to customize it it'd have only what you want, but you're a toddler too afraid to touch anything

Attached: 2019-08-18 22_44_29-Start menu.png (230x306, 8K)

just install Classic Shell

It's still the same, but now you have the side panel in addition to that
You get way more information that way or shortcuts or whatever lol

there are several other reasons I don't use windows 10
I was just explaining that claiming that no one actually uses the start menu but dumb boomers or tech illiterates is one of the most retarded things I've heard, and typing whatever program you want to start isn't what normal people do
baiting or actual retard?

>actually running windows 10
>actually has microsoft office installed
Get out of here, you proprietary degenerate!

shut the fuck up fruitcake

Attached: 496au4p2n5u11.jpg (750x477, 45K)

You can do the same thing in Windows 10 dumbass

the only reason for using the start menu is if you even actually know what youre doing. people who just wanna find programs use it to. but if you consistently download obscure things or if you want to have greater access to your pc it helps a lot. my brother uses windows 10 and i fucking hate using his computer, its a shit system

that isn't the fucking point retard
the point is that windows 10 comes fresh with a fucking stupid useless start menu, and that saying that a start menu is useless is fucking stupid and only something some zoomer who uses win10 would say

I do trust you, the problem is that i don't trust MS
ghacks.net/2019/07/11/did-microsoft-just-drop-the-telemetry-bomb-on-windows-7-users-without-telling-anyone/

>MacOS

Attached: 1546616637430.gif (255x224, 155K)

But no one uses windows 8, everyone used/uses windows 8.1.

where is the Ion Fury lincucks version, you fat fucks can't even warez a simple game.

more like words of a teenager

>Windows 8
>2012 article

Attached: 1561161229139.png (1280x720, 673K)

>poor for macOS
>even remotely trying to imply that mac isnt trash
LMAO

Attached: FB_IMG_1556738618829.jpg (750x751, 25K)

You're reporting news from 2012, champ.

If you want to use Win10 I recommend pro or ent and getting up to 1903. Get openshell and run powershell scripts to debloat and disable telemetry/Cortana/WindowsStore.

But if you want to use something else I recommend shutting the fuck up because it will require configuration too.

>chaitanya-sareen
wtf

>30 billion $ industry
>manchild gamers

Why would you use categories when you can just search

Gnome ditched the menu long ago though.

Sometimes you don't know the name of the program, just what it does.

report, hide, sage freedesktop shills

Sometimes Windows search does not work properly for some reason. I have not found out why.

Why would you use Gnome? Do you hate yourself or something?

use google desktop

>implying big corps aren't retardo mode

Attached: 9r8lgyw7k5z21.jpg (720x303, 19K)

COPE moar retarded commie
Windows10 is unironically the best OS every made by any company