/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: cutepenguins.jpg (1160x1360, 166K)

why is bash such a clusterfuck? What did they gain by designing this way? What's a better alternative that actually looks and feels like a real programming language?

I have Luke's build of st and i can't see pics in ranger, i tried w3m and ueberzug modes but they both didn't work.
Is it a problem on my side or it's just his build?

fish hehehe

what DE or WM are you on ?

bspwm

hmmmm...if you have w3m or ueberzug installed then it should work
try it on another terminal just to be sure the issue is not frpm st
make sure you have this in rc.conf
set preview_images true
set preview_images_method w3m

those are the only variables i can think of. Personally I don't use either because kitty has its own preview method. Terminator I think does too. There are other methods from ueberzug and w3m

Any volunteers interested in software synthesizers? You can contribute to the biggest and most revered free software synth project zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net, it needs you:
github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-fusion-issues/issues?q=is:issue is:open label:"good first issue"

Attached: ZynAddSubFX Synth.png (1181x659, 153K)

It's good but not an alternative
Pick zsh

Stop shilling your garbage pls

>why is bash such a clusterfuck?
Legacy on top of legacy on top of...
> What did they gain by designing this way?
Retrocompatibility mainly, and wide support
> What's a better alternative that actually looks and feels like a real programming language?
Unironically zsh if you're still looking for a bash-like language, fish if you're ready to go full retard like I did lately. Its configuration is easy to maintain in stow and nicely split, and code is waaaaay easier to read. Also muh plugins.

It's the free software community, and it's called "help" if you're unaware of it. This is how the free software community sustains itself. Please stop spreading your garbage corporate logic here.

Is this a joke? Anyway, mksh is cool and minimal.

This is Jow Forums
Not your helpdesk
Not your army
Fuck off

>fish if you're ready to go full retard like I did lately. Its configuration is easy to maintain in stow and nicely split, and code is waaaaay easier to read. Also muh plugins.
Only useful as an interactive shell.

This is /fglt/ first and foremost.

Ignore the other guy, I WISH more people would support their favorite software here. It would add more to the thread.

What's up with the update to xfce?

I heard GTK3 support is up

It became fully proprietary EULA software and now costs 100$, or 89$ is you upgrade from xfce 4.12.

Well that's nice. Did you try it? What can you tell?

I heard it on the linuxtube, cant tell much more if I have it use it in like seven years.

I have this in my rc.conf file and it works with urxvt, maybe it's st :/ i'll try building my own st but the problem is the scroll patch somehow doesn't work

if it works on urxvt then the problem is definetly from st
normal st I remmeber can run previews just fine but I'm on wayland now so I wouldnt know

Unanswered question from last 2 threads.

fdisk and cfdisk both now support GPT.
However fdisk, gdisk, and parted all have different methods af creating partitions.

fdisk: Create a partition with partition type EFI System.
gdisk: Create a partition with partition type EF00.
GNU Parted: Create a partition with fat32 as the file system type and set the esp flag on it.

EFI vs EF00
DOES IT MATTER?

I agree. You can switch back to bash or zsh whenever you need to though.

I just use old-style MBR booting instead of UEFI

It's nice. Just learn it.

install Guix, familia

Attached: MC Lips.png (724x527, 238K)

>looks
lmao idiot

i'll wait a year and see how it progresses. right now guix is too premature for me to leave nixos

BIOS* instead of UEFI.
MBR instead of GPT*

You got mixed up user.
No need to comment an unrelated oppinion though.
It's not like we're on FB.

Still unanswered.

help me friendos
I'm dualbooting mint with w10 for gaymen and whenever I boot in linux I can't do shit with files that oare not on the linux drive because somehow, even though in properties I have root read/write privileges all the files have lock icons over them and I can't move/copy/erase anything from the shared drives
how is this fixed?

Attached: you say what about chaika.png (946x833, 606K)

Is there an easy android emulator / comp layer like bluestacks for gnu linux?

sorry if I expect some kind of consistency by something that claims to be a """"language""""

you need to run a a a a
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
and youll be ok friendo.

what does it do? I need it like to moron I am

Kubuntu still hasn't patched the Plasma .directory vulnerability

Attached: 1372775577221.png (278x229, 153K)

submitted before finishing my post
so I just can't use NTFS it turns out and I need this utility to do anything?

>I need it like to moron I am
what the fuck are you saying? Just trust me, install and and maybe reboot. Its a proprietary thing, no es que te importe

to call it a utility is a bit wrong. "linux" is a kernel. think of ntfs-3g as a driver. because it is

it turns out I had it already

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-18_16-39-59.png (578x87, 24K)

mksh users, what's your PS1 prompt?

make a good tutorial and I will

For write support. There's a ntfs driver in the kernel, but it's read only. You need to install ntfs-3g and set the fs type field in your /etc/fstab to ntfs-3g or `mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/whatever ...`

neither has manjaro by the looks of it

and its still not working? I remember there being a fix but youll have to google, i cant remember. My advice is use manjaro, it comes with all the proprietary stuff and just works. Less config needed than any debian based (ubuntu) distro.

You are an idiot. You don't seem to know anything about shell scripting, but you know already that bash is bad, how? The fact that you compare it to a programming language and claim that bash claims to be a programming language is the kind of stupidity that actually makes me angry. Please fuck off over to /sqt/ with this inanity.

it doesn't
tried viewing cat /etc/fstab but it doesn't see the drives that aren't the ext4 drive although I can see and use the files on the ntfs drives just fine, just not move or remove them

have you tried mounting manually like
suggests? Im pretty sure its the failsafe way to do it, its just too tedious for normal use imo.

stop recommending google in the friendly thread

install it now

Attached: im gonna kick your ass.png (791x517, 519K)

i rarely do, if ever. I just remember this one problem happening to me back when i used debian based distros. (like 2015-16). Honestly I dont think its got any place in a desktop environment, but thats just me.

yeah, just rebooted too and issue is still there

>tried viewing cat /etc/fstab but it doesn't see the drives that aren't the ext4 drive
So add the drive manually. Find it with `lsblk -f` if you don't know the device name. It's best to add the partition by its UUID (ie UUID=... in the partition field) so it still mounts correctly if the drive gets moved. See man fstab and man mount.

what? his method aint rebooting, its manual mounting.

I have not had luck with image viewing through w3m in st. It somewhat works in w3m itself, but only very briefly on screen refresh so it basically shows the image very briefly every time you scroll. Don't think I ever got it to work when trying out ranger, not even with the blinking.

Whats a qt based rss feed with desktop popups (for kde)?

Just wanted to thank the user that posted this works great indeed:
parallel ffmpeg -i '{}' -q:a 1 '{.}.mp3' ::: *.webm

you're welcome

ok fellers, fixed it
turns out it was the w10 option "fast boot" that is enabled by default and inaccessible without runnig a run command that was locking all the files on the other drives.
Disabled it and now they all permit read/write/execute like they had in permissions all along

Can anyone explain this, please?

ah of course. How could I forget about that idiotic feature. Windows has so many anti features like fast boot that just fuck the user around. Can I ask what your using your windows partition for? For me it just games (because I like keeping as much proprietary stuff off my main system as possible).

Isnt EF00 just the hex code for efi?

if you have formatted a disk as GPT, you must set the EFI partition type to EF00 with gdisk.
if you have formatted a disk as MBR, you must set the EFI partition type to EFI System.

it matters as in, you have to use gdisk with GPT disks and fdisk with MBR disks.
but "EFI System" and "EF00" are the same thing, just different names in different programs (gdisk vs fdisk).

EFI System, EF00, and esp flag all have the same effect
the name of the partition is EFI System Parition, which is shortened to ESP, which is internally the type 0xEF00

>if you have formatted a disk as MBR, you must set the EFI partition type to EFI System.
*with fdisk

well I was expecting that so I have windows and linux on completely separate drives
w10 is 120gb ssd and linux is 240gb ssd
pretty much I'm only using it for games and maybe two pieces of software I haven't figured out on linux yet, one being mixxx with virtual audio cable software driver for plugging different sources as the second microphone input
haven't found decent virtual audio cable solution on linux yet unfortunately. Other than that I find that default media player and VLC both have trouble decoding some movies that play on windows with mpc-hc just fine all the time so there's that

Thank all of you.

>media player issues
install mpv. seriously FUCK vlc. As for your other software ive got no idea what that is so soz there. Your current setup reminds me of my first real setup somewhat

120gb windows ssd
1tb ntfs drive
320gb laptop hdd for i believe mint was the first, before settling on fedora for a while.

Now Im pretty much mainlining ext4
500gb nvme drive manjaro
3tb external storage
3 x 1tb external storage
480gb shitty kingston ssd for windows 8.1

I keep my hdd off most of the time so a silent system. I keep the 3tb connected but its just idling so I can get torrent bonus points lol.

Attached: a86.png (540x304, 287K)

I had to fix my OMV NAS last week so I moved my old machine to work under omv and this is my fresh build, which is why I'm having all those issues I haven't had under w7
this PC is dualbooting w10/mint 19.2
system ssds are 120/240-gb respectively
I have been moving drives around to maximise storage capacity and deskspace so I shucked old WD externals and put two more in my current pc for 2TB local storage (500+500+1+1) NTFS so both systems can use it and OMV has currently 4TB ext4 with plans to expand.
OMV being a fresh build as well I haven't worked out all the kinks yet, especially with windows SMB support still being kinda sorta fucky but I'm getting ahead. Having lotsa trouble with deluge docker container since the most current 2.X.X versions isn't apparently widely supported with private trackers and the 1.X.X container is abandonware.
I really like deluge and don't want to move to transmission though so I'm still working on it

Why didnt you just set everything up under a hypervisor and run OMV (or make your own Debian nas) headless with control through via ssh or whatever have you?
I agree about deluge, theyre fucking idiots I swear, the 2. release broke stat tracking as well. I switched to qbittorrent, i could never dig transmission (everyone in high school used it though, fucking macs).

How would I go about diagnosing what is wrong with my pci-e wifi adapter? It seems to work just sometimes when I boot my pc. It works fine even if I suspend until I reboot again.
It's a pretty minor nuisance but still annoying enough that I would like to solve it.
The model is tp-link tl-wn781nd. They even advertise it as Linux compatible but I don't really see how it's supported more than any other adapter. They don't even offer any drivers/firmware for linux.

I do control OMV headless via ssh and webui panel
I'm pretty new to linux and I'm doing this step by step over the path of least resistance. Maybe once I learn more I can choose more sophisticated solutions for my use case.
Thanks for the mpv rec, it decodes better but still freezes when trying to skip in files over 3-5GB in size. Doesn't happen on windows, this.

>They even advertise it as Linux compatible but I don't really see how it's supported more than any other adapte
thats the biggest lie in the industry. Asus do the same shady shit. Is the issue only when your using a linux kernel though, or does it happen on windows? maybe iw dev could help

>it decodes better but still freezes when trying to skip in files over 3-5GB in size. Doesn't happen on windows, this.
interesting, i havent had any negatives with it so ive got no idea. some sort of caching issue perhaps (with the ssds being different). Try running mpv on windows (desu i dropped mpchc for mpv and never looked back, i ended up getting a government department that i dont work at using it as well lol).

smp player seems to work ok, reads subs and can decode ok and skip without freezing

I originally posted this question a few threads ago but I cant find the answer so im asking again.

I need to batch crop a bunch of pics, take x amount of pixels off the top, left and right sides. Whats that cli utility that lets me do a whole bunch at once?

penguins

Attached: 1566085454012.jpg (962x1044, 99K)

penguins

What chipset? (lspci will tell you. networking companies have this obnoxious habit of sometimes changing the chipset but not the model number...) You might also compare what dmesg and journalctl say during a boot where the card doesn't work to a boot where it does. I had something similar happen one time, it was due to a race condition where sometimes systemd was trying to start the firewall when the interface didn't yet exist.

Attached: 1551358776331.jpg (1200x808, 272K)

I realized right after I posted that I haven't actually checked if this is even linux related. I just kinda assumed.
This is happening on a HP deskpro 600 though. I was thinking if there were some "safety features" preventing the use of non-whitelisted hardware or something like that but would be weird if that let it still work sometimes.

im not sure about wifi cards but i remember getting a tech job for some hp system one time. It was utter shit to work with, some sort of bios lock on pcie hardware. Nothing i could do.

how the hell do I change preferred media player in mint, systemwide, or by associating a bunch of extentions with preferred player? default applications has only settings for browser, mail, terminal and file explorer and for video it appears I would have to go to each type and choose always use such and such for every type

Like most GNU problems, you read the Arch wiki and hope nothing about your setup is too buggy :)

I looked online and sure enough in versions 17 and 18 there is more options to change but in 19 you can only change those four
what's going on
there isn't in the player any option to associate file types either

>You don't seem to know anything about shell scripting, but you know already that bash is bad, how?
Just like I don't need to be a professional mechanic to see with my own eyes that ford did a fairly shitty job designing the engine of my car. I don't claim to know shell scripting as I was trying to learn to use that absolute clusterfuck and, while doing so, it made me think whenever this was an ok design. Now you can sperg as much as you want about muh semantics of that can be classified as a language and what not but to me it looks like one, as I can have pretty variables and modify the flow of execution, not to mention it can be executed.

Don't use ntfs for shared drives. It's proprietary and the Linux driver, ntfs-3g is kinda hacky and can sometimes lead to corruption. Use udf instead. It's supported natively by both Windows and Linux.

man ImageMagick

You probably need to do it with xdg-mime

Windows is not a kernel.

*imagemagick

Windows NT, then.

but UDF isn't mean for HDDs/SSDs at all.
I've been using NTFS for shared Windows/Linux drives quite some time without issues.

GNU/Linux*

What are some cool terminal commands?

Source?

man tree

I'll show you my backup script
#!/bin/sh
# Destination.
DESTINATION="$1"
# Backup command.
backup_command() { rsync -av --delete "$1" "$2" ; }

# Backup user dotfiles.
mkdir -p $DESTINATION/usr/.config
backup_command $HOME/bin/ $DESTINATION/usr/bin/
backup_command $HOME/.config/mc/ $DESTINATION/usr/.config/mc/
backup_command $HOME/.config/vifm/ $DESTINATION/usr/.config/vifm/

Obviously is longer but that'll give you an idea. Now the next restores from my backup.
#!/bin/sh
# Restore command.
restore_command() { rsync -av "$1" "$2" ; }
# Origin.
ORIGIN="$1"

# Restore user dotfiles.
mkdir -p $HOME/.config
restore_command $ORIGIN/usr/bin/ $HOME/bin/
restore_command $ORIGIN/usr/.config/mc/ $HOME/.config/mc/
restore_command $ORIGIN/usr/.config/vifm/ $HOME/.config/vifm/

alias alias=alias

is there a good gnome distro based on ubuntu

alias you=gay

Is there any way to synchronize Gnome settings across various machines? Kind of like synching your Google account with Chrome.

Attached: 700.jpg (200x313, 10K)

>based on ubuntu
why people say ubuntu instead of debian?