Esoteric architectures

How could I try building a m68k computer or board or another similar uncommon setting?
Id like to install debian and play with it in a weird and unusual environment.
>emulators
That kills the hobbyist
>raspberri pi
Im looking for something cheaper and less chinked.

Attached: 220px-KL_Motorola_MC68000_CLCC.jpg (220x219, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

retrobrewcomputers.org
kswichit.com/68008/68008.htm
retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=boards:ecb:mini-68k:start
easy68k.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ever heard of FPGAs?

>Im looking for something cheaper and less chinked.
Vintage computing is an expensive hobby my dude, especially when you have to engineer your own parts to compensate for obsolete or FAR too expensive parts that are no longer accessable.

Shit like z80 and 68k compatible chips are still being made

We already had this thread...

>thread dies
>how dare you make a new one!

These days FPGAs and ordering PCBs from China isn't that pricey.

>thanks but I am fully capable of reading wikipedia on my own
>this isn't just some shit where you burn an ISO and click through an installer and instantly have an actually useful system that can run screenfetch to your heart's content, even if you got something booting debian/m68k is broken and fossilized as fuck and you're looking at this entirely from the wrong angle, which is why you should do some more
>research before you start blogposting about projects that are obviously way over your head
It actually is that easy; download ISO, burn it, slide in the CD, boot it, install the distro. I have had a bunch of '020 to '060 machines running Debian over the years.
What you consider usable is up to you though, these processors are limited when it comes to performance of modern programs and use cases, but sure you can run an older release of X and a lightweight DE/WM and browse the internet on it, since there are drivers for ethernet cards for example. Thanks to still m68k repos existing, it's as easy as apt-get.

Attached: IMG_0001macfetch.jpg (1000x750, 766K)

Just get a pi and install Linux on it

>that picture
I don't even

Examples?

Bumping for interest.

why do so many people on Jow Forums just talk out of their ass constantly when it comes to old tech

if you’re spending hundreds of dollars on stupid bullshit like CF mods because you’re too much of a pussy to use stock drives or think you need some retarded MPEG accelerator for your C64 that’s your problem man

>why do so many people on Jow Forums just talk out of their ass constantly when it comes to old tech
i'll tell you user but first have you ever watched evangelion

you’re running it on a Mac though, OP’s talking about building a 68k machine from scratch and kludging Debian on to it like he can just go buy an ATX 68k board from a hobby shop

and yeah none of the software worth using on a modern GNU/Linux system would really run well on even an 060, at least go with an earlier BSD or something that was actually built for them with the intention of being used productively, rather than just as a demo for posting pictures of screenfetch and little else.

Not in general-purpose SBCs like a Pi.

>you’re running it on a Mac though, OP’s talking about building a 68k machine from scratch and kludging Debian on to it like he can just go buy an ATX 68k board from a hobby shop
That wasn't the argument thought. The original argument was:
>>debian
>>on a fucking 68000
>just stop while you're ahead. learn about these systems and how people actually used them first.

>and yeah none of the software worth using on a modern GNU/Linux system would really run well on even an 060, at least go with an earlier BSD or something that was actually built for them with the intention of being used productively, rather than just as a demo for posting pictures of screenfetch and little else.
I have used both, both are just as limited when it comes to usability even on a '060, be it Debian, NetBSD or related. You can be productive on any if you wish, as I said, Debian has very good driver support too when it comes to things like ethernet, drive controllers, etc. Plenty of software you'd need to use to be productive, like DEs/WMs, lightweight web browsers, text editors, compilers, etc would still work. Posting a picture of Neofetch was specifically aimed at user since they acted like even something as simple is an impossible feat on the 68000 series.
There were plenty of UNIX and related workstations that used the 68000 series of CPUs also but which are not as accessible these days. I'm not particularly interested myself in running Linux nor BSD on any of these "esoteric architectures" since they have far more interesting software specially made for them turning their time.

Which again, is not really the point.

honestly I think we agree with each other, I wasn’t intending to imply it was impossible but rather just silly and kind of pointless, like throwing win10 on an old P4.

if he’s actually serious about homebrewing a 68K machine and learning about new architectures and not just looking for screenfetch hipster cred he’d be better off starting with something low-level like a monitor or interpreter and then moving up to a simple but proper operating system actually designed to be used productively with a 68000, at least an older Unix/BSD

>How could I try building a m68k computer or board or another similar uncommon setting?
Check this site out:
retrobrewcomputers.org
>debian
booooooring. Christ, that's about the most boring thing you can do with a 68k today.
>emulators, rpi
Fuck no. If you want to go fake, at least get a convincing one. Look into the miSTer board and cores.
>advice
Get an Amiga 500. Learn Amiga 68000 assembly programming. There's nice tutorials all over the web, including video ones.

Attached: 1560251402526.png (2338x1324, 3.16M)

this nigga gets it

this also reminded me of another project I saw based on the 68008 which would be much easier to work with:
kswichit.com/68008/68008.htm

there’s also the MC68302/68306 microcontrollers but I don’t think they come in DIP packaging for easy breadboarding

retrobrew also has a board based on the 68008.
retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=boards:ecb:mini-68k:start
And, without needing any hardware, there's this fantasy machine to play with:
easy68k.com/

Attached: 1546004197261.png (458x382, 116K)

thanks for the reminder that I need to install that shit on my laptop, it looks pretty great

easy68k has been helpful to me when I was debugging the context switch code on an Amiga multitasking OS I'm writing in asm.

Attached: 1556633089135.png (1009x1281, 599K)

does easy68k only emulate a 68008 or is that graphical front panel just 8-bit for simplicity's sake?

or is it even really a front panel? guess not now that I look at it.

Only 68000. Has some bitfield crap from 020 except incompatible.
As for 68008, as far as I'm aware, there's no difference from a programmer perspective.
Some later-made 68000 variants, I believe not dip, can actually operate in both 8 bit and 16 bit bus modes.

yeah it looks like they should be identical, I was only wondering because the switch panel window only had 8 switches but I guess that is just for general program I/O, not any kind of actual development/debugging use.
>Some later-made 68000 variants, I believe not dip, can actually operate in both 8 bit and 16 bit bus modes.
you're right they did, seems like some potential for a project.

Attached: 5PCS-MC68HC001FN10-68HC001-PLCC68.jpg (640x384, 33K)

yep, the HC models.

Attached: 1563976473874.png (1000x1210, 427K)

You're right, I didn't imply otherwise for OP.