Windows thread

>muh linux
modern desktop computers can handle windows, and you reading this means you are connected to the internet (heavily backdoored) not to mention the nonfree blobs and other bullshit

>switched to linux, how do I get windows?
(LTSC is very comfy)

>VMware ESXi is better than QEMU with KVM
>all the vidya
>mouse keys and f1-10 for mouseless use
>beautiful ui, can be riced
>can disable features for way lower resource use

Attached: downloadfile.jpg (980x980, 85K)

>beautiful ui

Attached: 1537174545811.png (1366x768, 368K)

I legitimately can't find any reason I personally should use Windows. I use macOS at home and GNU/Linux at work, I don't really play video games and the only Microsoft Office product I use is Powerpoint (which works on my MBP), but Google Slides or even fucking Pages would probably do too, desu. I'm just a creature of habits.

I rely on foobar, avisynth, good driver support and hardware compatibility a lot, not to mention adobe

That's fine, but I don't use foobar or avisynth or any adobe software besides acrobat. As for drivers, I know this goes against the popular Jow Forums meme, but in my personal experience there exists a lot more drivers on Linux than on Windows. IIRC, there isn't even proper NVMeoF support on Windows yet, which makes it basically useless if you have JBOF.

I suffer from screen tearing on linux because I have a hybrid card laptop

P

Well, I use an MBP for a laptop at home which is where I watch most videos and stuff. At my desktop at work I really don't care about tearing desu. It only happens for a split second if I drag windows around like crazy, but it doesn't affect my workflow in any way. But I get that it is annoying, I'm probably just dulled down by having dealt with cosmetic issues and semi-stable desktop software on Linux for a little over a decade.

>uses old programs
>complains about old ui
>complains about available old programs on a new os

>VMware ESXi
Any non-pajeet learning resources for this?

heh, you didn't even show the windows 95 icons they STILL haven't bothered to update for over 20 years.

>There's non-free blobs. May as well use windows
>There's maximum allowable coloform levels in drinking water, may as well eat shit.

>cares about privacy
hiding something - use bsd, more based and secure
dont want everything monitored - use a competitor of google, microsoft who fight them on all fields (gaming, phones, email, search engine, office suite)
the battle is between cloud stored, remote computing and PCs, pick your side

why the fuck is the windows powershell or whatever terminal emulator on win 10 is fucking retarded and slow, what's the best minimal terminal on windows right now? also i can't get the new windows terminal because i'm on 1809

I'm gonna make OP mad with one word:

>Proton

Attached: sundowner.png (720x540, 659K)

I'm curious: what do you use AviSynth for?

Avisynth does not exactly have many uses...

Well, I used it for different projects myself: cutting, resizing, dubbing, picture-in-picture, feeding x264. Most stuff can be done with ffmpeg directly nowadays. For more complex manipulation, I'd guess free video editors have become more advanced. I know there were some powerful deinterlacing filters, but I'd also assume interlaced sources have disappeared. I'd like to know whether the AVS scene is still active and for what niches. I also wonder whether VaopurSynth went anywhere.

WINFAGS ETERNALLY BTFO

There's a good bit of interlaced content out there. It's the only way to get high frame rate in HDTV/BD.
Vapoursynth is being used by a few groups. It's too complicated for me. Avisynth's syntax and error handling is just easy.

cmd.exe

Same shit as powershit but with a worse shell (idk if you can change that)

anyway i found a better terminal something (cmder)

Assuming you don't have a discrete graphics card at work, edit this file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf':
Section "OutputClass"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
MatchDriver "i915"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

>VMware ESXi is better than QEMU with KVM
keked hard, don't tell that to any sysadmin, they might reflexe batista bomb your sorry self.
>all the vidya
support is growing
>mouse keys and f1-10 for mouseless use
wtf are you talking about?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>can disable features for way lower resource use
Same as linux, what's your point?

conemu or cmder (same thing)

>wtf are you talking about?
baka zoom zoom

Attached: withoutmouse.png (633x453, 25K)

You have been visited by the Laura of not great, not terrible threads.

This thread is currently reading 25 replies (not great, not terrible).

Attached: Laura.jpg (1275x637, 108K)

>Can be riced
kek
>all the vidya
Even on low end laptops?
>Can disable features for way lower resource use
kek
>beautiful ui
What are you on?

They been working on vulkan for years and still it sucks. Linsux is for nobody except the poor that cannot afford a proper OS like win. The OS suks
cant use 3d monitor
cant use soundblaster sound
cant use majority of controllers
cant use half of the power nvida has to offer in cards
cant use most devices that connect devices
yes I have linsuxs but never use it.
there is lots more why linsux

Should I be using hyper v for Linux distros?

Tell me captain, if Windows is so great why can't I run a powershell script from PHP?

The powershell script opens a publisher file, changes some things in it and then exports it as a pdf. Running this like a normal human bean works fine, but when I run it from PHP it throws an error about insufficient memory.

Why is this happening ? I dont even have VS open

Attached: cpu-gpu.png (1188x85, 41K)

>he has to use a program to emulate windows
most foss runs fine on windows, except all the terminal bullshit noone wants to deal with
>I can do it on linux in a few hours
>standard ui is bad
>bare metal is worse than getting another graphics card and using a kernel feature
cope

>has to emulate windows to get games working
do some research before you embarass yourself

Attached: MvBj.gif (636x265, 2.83M)

settings is just a wrapper around control panel

>wine
>emulation
Heh.

>emulation
shows how much you actually know about Linux. come the fuck on, mongoloid, it's in the name.

Windows would be fine if it had a consistent UI.
Everything is so mismatched. Like, they obviously want to shift to the windows 10 styled stuff but all the important stuff is still using win7 UI. Worst part is the Win10 stuff is godawful. The default volume slider is this fuckhuge menu instead of the clean Win7 styled one where you could individually alter the levels of each output device and program.

>programs shipped with the OS were clearly bloated holdovers from the last shitty OSes

These arent "old programs." Theyre shipped with the latest version of windows.
The fact that they're so inconsistent has nothing to do with compatibility since Microsoft can update, remove or exchange them.
Since windows is proprietary its impossible (for us) to tell what else was half assed.

>KB4512508

Attached: 1391988789667.jpg (553x640, 48K)

So riceable that I can't revert classic Windows UI in Windows 10.

Your computer is cursed. Exorcise it and then do a clean install. Unless you work for a big company with an M$ support contract.

>except all the terminal bullshit noone wants to deal with
Wow. What a brainlet.

keyword is wants not can
t. ex gentoo user

Is there a way to modify W10 UI in any way to not make it look retarded?

At least gnu/linux doesn't have a shit filesystem

>gentoo
Well there's your problem right there. Don't use a meme distro and waste your time on configuring and ricing it and compiling shit that could come pre-compiled. All that terminal bullshit is the foundation of efficiently automating your workflows and thus being more effective at the stuff that can't be autmated yet.

I legitimately use Windows solely because of screen tearing (on my intel laptop, nvidia desktop, and brand new amd laptop) on Linux. I've never been a macfag so I can't comment on that. I do 90% of my computing in some kind of container or with kludged to shit emacs so YMMV but I can tell you I don't avoid Linux for idealistic or proprietary reasons.
>inb4 they're gunna fix X any day down with Wayland
Keep me posted.

Tell me how I recover the fucking Alt accelerator hints on Linux after the ganoos went full retard and deprecated functionality to prioritize form.
No, patching and recompiling the whole goddamn GTK is not an option.
I spent the last several hours reading worryingly convincing FUD on Red Hat backdooring Linux. Either I go to some BSD or I go full 1 Microsoft Way, Seattle.

BASH. checkmate.
>inb4 WSL/WSL2
Horrible performance.

Proton Os Tot O Nemulator?

Based.

Attached: ltsc.png (2560x1440, 767K)

Hey mate, since the friendly windows thread is down do you reckon you could give me a hand? I've gone through the steps to make my offline ltsc ISO, did the optimization steps and then chucked it into virtualbox to just make sure everything is good, but as you can see in the pic it seems to be grabbing updates that look like more than just security.

Is this all good or did I fuck up a step? The about screen says the edition is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC.

Attached: updates.jpg (1017x787, 88K)

is it me or does using linux and convenient package managers make one lazy?

Just built new PC and need to know if Pro is worthwhile. Looks like the biggest difference is that you can delay updates? All the other features look kind of useless.
Where does the $70 CAD go?

Those are security updates, which is the purpose of running LTSC in the first place. You are good to go.

Sick, I'm going to make the jump. Sweet stability here I come!

Eshell