Moore's law dictates that computer power doubles every 18 months but will eventually reach a point where we can no...

moore's law dictates that computer power doubles every 18 months but will eventually reach a point where we can no longer shrink chips due to interference between transistors at a quantum level

so are you okay with buying bigger computers in the near future as a stopgap before we have quantum computers commercially available?

Attached: 1547960086150.jpg (480x360, 20K)

Totally. Bring on the new minis. Make them beige and chunky. I'll gladly eat $200 shipping to get a monstrosity with blinkenlights for a battlestation.

That won't matter at the consumer level. Consumer CPUs will just stall at the achievable die limit while keeping normal ATX size standards.

consumer market does not need more powerful hardware though

just build fabs on neutron stars

we need more resources to handle all the webshit alone.

>moore's law dictates
It's not a law
It doesn't dictate anything

We don't shrink to reduce Size, We do it because of Cost. If the industry reaches the point we can still stack chips. only limit is machine time and Power density. at some Point Size matters for Mobiles. we can still stack chip add flash + chip in a package The silicon slice could be made thinner by factor of 1000. We might already hit the point where smaller transistors decreases Transistor speed.

I would rather put developing consumer electronics on hiatus for ~10 to force the software developers to fix their slow and buggy shit.

>we can no longer shrink chips due to interference between transistors at a quantum level
No. Just no. There is no "quantum" anything, this isn't poorly understood near magic effects of some mythical theoretical particle. This is simply electrons being so small they can move through any material at the path of least resistance, because nothing can exert 100% perfect electrical control over them. It is current leakage. It is nothing but current leakage. It is current leakage in short channel devices, and it happens at literally every feature size, it is not exclusive to small FinFET devices like upcoming 5nm EUV FinFETs. Even planar devices have extremely high degrees of leakage through their channels, directly under the gates, electrons still leak out. Yet despite this the transistors still function.

Quantum tunneling is a meme regurgitated by people who know nothing about the field of FETs.

*~10 years

I would prefer if they started doing more dedicated stuff. Like dedicated hardware acceleration for browsing and shit.

maybe network cards could come with their own cache to make websites take up less memory.

In 10 years all consumer PCs will be thin clients that point to a vm server and requires an internet connection at all times so size won't matter

If bigger is better for nearly the same price, yes. Stop buying marketed *NEW* technologies for the sake of it.

This.
And if we can stop the code bloated mess we have today and in the near future we might enjoy the true power of our current hardware capabilities

I don't need a more powerful computer because I only use it for shitposting and playing videogames from the 90s.

Sneed

>I would rather put developing consumer electronics on hiatus for ~10
consumers electronics have been stagnating for 5 years now so there are only 5 more to go

>computer power
*transistor density.

actually it dictates that the number of transistors on an integrated circuit doubles every 12 months

anything else is cope

>moore's law dictates that computer power doubles every 18 months
Not what moore's law says at all, it says nothing about "computer power doubling", it's about transistor size