Python Is Eating The World

Python Is Eating The World

techrepublic.com/article/python-is-eating-the-world-how-one-developers-side-project-became-the-hottest-programming-language-on-the-planet/

Why is this language so unstoppable?

Attached: ad-01-.jpg (800x600, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zverovich.net/2016/05/13/giving-up-on-julia.html
zverovich.net/2016/05/13/giving-up-on-julia.html0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why is this thread constantly respawning? nobody gives two fucks about your meme language.

C++ HOES MAD
PYTHON CHADS ASSEMBLE

>mandatory indentation and no block delimiters

import solution
solution()

Gee, I wonder why.

*import soul

this python is terrible

It's usable by brainlets and women since you don't actually have to code anything yourself.

Have sex

Use Julia

have...sex...

>easy to use language that can solve trivial problems where performance doesnt matter
Ofc python is popular

god I hate python, who thought it was a good idea to have indentation as part of the syntax

Who thought it was a good idea to have syntax anyway? I'm currently dabbing a bit in Python and trying to make a higher order function.

total = total operator number doesn't work since Python expects an actual operator instead of a var containing an operator. This wouldn't be a problem in Lisp. If anyone knows a solution to this problem I'd be happy to hear it.

zverovich.net/2016/05/13/giving-up-on-julia.html

And if you need performance, you can just call C from Python.

Assembly enables you to program a computer of a specific micro-architecture using only human-legible code.
C is like Assembly, except you can just re-use the same source code for other micro-architecture as well.
Python enables other people to easily harness the power of your C programs for their scripts.

Python is the only scripting/programming language I know, that is if you don't count html and css (which I don't), and learned it because Blender uses it for scripting. Had Blender used any other scripting language, I would've learned whichever Blender chose.

That said, I really like Python. It's very easy and all of the built-in math functions are a boon for somebody like me who only took basic Algebra in high school.

Because it's being shilled in schools, that's the only reason.
Python is objectively bad for solving complex problems that involve any sort of scalability or even network communication.
The best approach is to just learn something like C# as a beginner's language, so you don't have to deal with the low-level stuff like managing memory, but you're still forced to learn good structure because it's strongly typed

god I hope a compiled language similar to less bloated python back in the day would pop up and own the field

If you're willing to use prefix notation, you could do something like this
>>> import operator
>>> a = operator.add
>>> x = 2
>>> y = 3
>>> a(2,3)

soul()

Type error on line 2,434,554 in module soul.__init()

compiled languages serve a different purpose than Python

Reccomend me a good python book.
I'm at work and I gotta learn and finish a python project for my trial 3 months.

dunno but Im planning to learn it because I hate my current life and need to move on.

Attached: 1565608978051.png (971x148, 7K)

>books
okay gramps

Zoom zoom

Attached: serveimage.png (227x300, 59K)

have marriage and children

>books, who needs them
>am I right fellas

Attached: 1547067629682.jpg (1129x1200, 118K)

Anyone else spend too much time using languages like C++/C/Java and now have trouble actually mastering Python because of how easy they make everything it’s like a “wow, the language handles this stuff for you already?”

>identation bad
I never understood this argument. Are you some sort of coding niggers who don't ident their code?

encoding problems and problems with whitespace when sharing code are not good features for a language to have

So that's it
Assembly (ARM and x86), C, Python and you need no more programming language to learn

>zverovich.net/2016/05/13/giving-up-on-julia.html0

Attached: image0113.png (627x594, 295K)

unless that problem happens to be parallelism.
I wish GVR grew a ball and kill the GIL during 3k transition.

Go thads are ready
Learn some go
This is also true
Have you seen go
72383362 this or from programming motherfucker website: Python

Byte of Python

Building Skills in Python Version 2.5

Python Bibliotheca

Think Python(PDF)

Data Structures and Algorithms in Python

Dive into Python

How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python

Python for Fun

Invent Your Own Computer Games With Python

Learn Python The Hard Way

Thinking in Python

The Django Book

Snake Wrangling For Kids

Natural Language Processing with Python

Also sololearn app, Jow Forumslearnpython could help you

In Raku, subroutines are first class citizens. For instance, let's say you've the following function that adds two numbers:
sub add(\a, \b) { a + b }

You can apply it as a regular function:
add(2, 3); # 5

You can apply it as a method call:
2.&add(3); # 5

Since this function has 2 arguments, you can use it as an infix operator by using [] around the code object:
2 [&add] 3; # 5

my &op = &add;
2 [&op] 3; # 5

I've solved it by now. I did use the operator module. I made a dictionary with the operator symbols as keys and the method as data. That way I could assign op = op_dictionary[operation]. It works, it's kindy "pythonian" but it's kind of a pain and a clear drawback of forcing syntax.

It really makes me wonder why morons bash Lisp parenthesis. It's the most flexible way of writing code since you can dictate the parse tree of the interpreter yourself.

nuff said.

Attached: iter.jpg (500x500, 75K)

Thats a feature not a mistake
>oh no my language is forcing me to make my code easier to read

tbqh Python is being forced in schools and at unis

>Byte of Python
>Learn Python The Hard Way
These two are absolute garbage, stop recommending them

We live in a fallen world. That is the explanation. Evil sprouts and spreads as do injustice and vice.

>learn something like C#

Pajeet detected.

Suppose that I want to transform a list of lists into a flat list

What is the most Python-idiomatic approach?
flatlist = [element for sublist in listoflists for element in sublist]
or
flatlist = []
for sublist in listoflists:
for element in sublist:
flatlist.append(element)

And are they both equally fast?
Personally, I find the first version harder to read.

in a nice language
foldr (++) []

in python
from functools import reduce
reduce(lambda x, y: x + y, [[1,2], [3,4,5]], [])

had a brain-fart, in the nice language you could just say
concat

It actually makes python more complex. No brackets, relies on tabs, shitty monty meme syntax they is useless for any other language, shoehorned oop, and a lack of efficient data structures. Python blows if you're and actual programming

>making an optional thing (that everybody does anyway) mandatory removes the need for redundant code to define blocks of code

pretty clever

It's a great language if you just want to get things done and you're not a raging autist.

`list = sum(lists, [])`

Loop is as fast as a list comprehension, which are both faster than sum and reduce.

I replaced my python usage with Go a few years back, dynamic typing is unusable. inb4 some tranny who can't into interfaces tells me "muh genericis"

Literally nobody - not even novices - shares code by copying and pasting. Novices use online IDEs like repl.it and amateurs use git repos.
Find a new argument.

>tfw submitted my letter of resignation from python job today and applied for C development position

What recommendations do you have for books?

... until they stumble on a system with different endianness (and they have no idea what it is)

Any professionals see this stuff out there? What is the upside of python to c++/java? I assumed this shit was like ruby and was going away soon but it seems to persist.

>What is the upside of python to c++/java?
you can complete a project in 4 hours instead of 4 weeks

How so?

Nice larp.

have to agree
tried to learn Py with Byte of Python three times, always stalled out due to tasks becoming increasingly abstract and hard to understand
then I learned it's written by a literal pajeet in ESL

switched to PyCharm Edu's built-in Stepik course, smooth sailing so far even if the learning curve is a bit too flat for my taste, but still feels better

>He doesn't know how to program in C++ AND in Python, and use each one where it's more suitable
plebs

Use itertools.chain.from_iterable

I have 0 experience with python. I want to learn it for data analysis. where do I start, and what is next afterwards?

I really hate Python, especially when the project extends more than one source file.

>Using the right tool at the right time and picking up new skills when necessary instead of clinging to some weird dogma about the perfect programming language
Not sure Jow Forums is the place for you.

>learn python the hard way
go push (((Shaw)))'s garbage elsewhere

Attached: Python the meme way©.png (1472x1005, 428K)

About a year ago, I finally decided to sit down and learn Python after hearing everyone jerk each other off about how allegedly good it is. Oh, it's so easy to program in it! Look at all these libraries for advanced things like machine learning that have been written for it! Even the Twitter API I read about in 2600 years ago used Python, surely it's good!

First of all, there's the forced indentation. I was only mildly annoyed by that part because I'm already indenting shit as is most of the time so that it's easier for other people to fuck my code up later. Then I tried to do something more advanced, which involved Python's most famous feature: importing 50+ libraries to actually get shit done. Everything is so inconsistent! Does the function start with a capital letter, or a lowercase letter? Is the function's name in camel case, using underscores to space words, or just gluing everything as one long all-lowercase word? It seems that you just have to memorize that for each specific function because I couldn't figure out a consistent way to know when to use which.

It was taught as the first programming course at my university though (I managed to skip that course because of high school credits). I think firstcomers to programming just assume every language is this dreadful as far as syntax goes and then just deal with it because they can just import 20 libraries and then write three commands and feel like they accomplished something. I don't have any other explanation for why such a dreadful language is so popular besides a severe case of baby duck and people just really not wanting to figure things out for themselves or caring about efficiency (at its core Python is still a scripting language)

Dilate.

you wont last long in programming if you're getting mad about inconsistent naming conventions

It's easy, comfy, and can be used for a wide array of problems.

You got it right at the end; it's a scripting language.

What most people want from programs is the ability to automatically do something, and a scripting language is ideal.

yeah but who is the lesser of two evils
java or python

python. js destroyed the web

in pure functional c++ this is just
//short circuit lazy eval
const auto flastlist = eval(lists | flatten)

Attached: 1565821119880.jpg (349x1078, 127K)

>LEARN X THE HARD WAY

Attached: soy.png (644x800, 13K)

Python is 4 fags.