Why do developers prefer it to windows?

Why do developers prefer it to windows?

Attached: linux.jpg (695x359, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows10-october-linux&num=6
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Inceldom

They don't. Linux is a hobby and not an operating system.

It depends on the type of development, to be honest.

The command prompt on Windows is not as nice as the commands on Linux systems

because it has a good and functional terminal compared to wangblows

>can get packages
>can compile packages
>can set up a web server with ease
Only linux, unix and macOS have those things.
Which is why all the best programmers have moved on to macOS and abandoned linux.

hobbyist distros are a hobby*

80 percent of devs/professors ive met have macbooks

Ever tried programing in OpenGL on windows?

Developers don't prefer this to Windows. Server administrators however, do prefer it to Windows.

because handling libraries on windows is impossible
yeah that's literally the only reason I switched to Linux
I still have Windows 10 on my PC for games but on my thinkpad where I do all programming work I use Linux

There are a couple of different reasons. One is ideological. Programmers like to use stuff that's free and open source. They've seen enough stuff to not trust binaries blindly.

Then there are practical reasons. There aren't really that many direct benefits to having a FOSS operating system if you aren't changing the source code and recompile everything yourself, which most people, even most programmers, won't do. But with free software comes a whole different mentality around the design. Windows obscures more and more of the inner working of the OS from the user, regardless if they would need to show source code to make it more open. Linux and most stuff running on it makes it easy to go as deep as you dare into the nitty gritty. And programmers love to see what makes something tick. Also, you usually want to work on a system similar to the one you're deploying at. So if you have a webserver or embedded devices or whatever, it probably ends up running on Linux. Helping with that is that it's just a very good and reliable kernel with lots of good software already on it. Many say it being FOSS actually helps with it being as high quality as it is.

Sounds more like Windows.

Holy shit fagots just say its faster!
Better preformence are better for development

Only in burgerland.

Try developing something on Windows. It just doesn't werk.

Perf is only noticably better on server hardware (NUMA)

Because the only good thing in windows is Visual Studio,best IDE ever,but you can't develop in C# your entire life

>Muh nuget
It's shit for non C# related things

No its just faster end of story
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows10-october-linux&num=6

uh yes, it's easy

because no one wants to learn powershell, and the windows command prompt is kind of useless
everyone knows how to use a bash terminal

because they don't know how to use windows, and want to be hipsters

Because they're good at computer.

Bash
Package manager
Faster
Free as in freedom

pro developer here
i don't

Attached: VisualStudio.png (930x462, 32K)

So microsoft is a hobby then, since they use linux servers

How do you enjoy the auto download of 400 giga into your machine?

it just werks

I don't really care, I can develop on anything as needed for the project. Yes the linux terminal is way better than command prompt, but I just install gitbash for windows on any windows box I use for development anyway. It's not a 1:1 linux terminal on windows but it gets the job done.

you've never worked for a company that has a competent it department, have you?

Sane package management and cli tools.

I tried this garbage once and it was like hundreds of gigabytes. Why do wintoddlers actually use this?

Because Windows is designed for content consumption, not content creation.

Because they jobs.

If it's only good for companies with massive hardware and expensive equipment it's not worth it in my opinion

storage is cheap. maybe if you weren't a linux neet you'd have been able to afford a decent hard drive

you have no idea about working as a developer at a large company

Do you companys force you to use bloated garbage or something?
Why would I be retarded enough to spend extra money to fit a program that edits plaintext files?

maybe one day when you're all grown up and have a job of your own you will realise how stupid you sound

Its not about that you fucking retard
If its work better on your PC you can manage the work from home insted of your office.
Windows is comfy i give you that.
But in terms of resource management, Linux is just doing a great job, compared to Microsoft

Why do only ESL shitskins use loonix?

we don't have serving corporations in our blood

Basically everything that Windows tried to do in improving the "quality of life" by universalizing everything & making everything more streamlined is the reason why Linux is preferred to it, since it makes Linux a good alternative for casual use (since with a tight deadline (developers, uni-students etc.) wont be caught dead fixing the endless amounts of comparability issues Linux has with running .NET framework).

t. Couldn't be fucked trying to get Visual Studio, After Effects and Photoshop to work as well as it did on Windows 7, so now i just dual-boot systems based on what I need

tl;dr: Linux is nice for plug'n'play stuff where allot of embedded system run well without drivers and general OS isn't taxing on the system resources (compared to Windows 10), but Windows is good if you want all productivity-software to run well and or native

Attached: gondola.png (640x480, 5K)

Im sorry i thought windows is for pajeets and linux is for humans
Did something change?
Also loonix can be MacOs so dont even...

lots of older developers have literally never used anything else and I imagine most devs at big companies are in visual studio

I'm a 2nd year CS student and I've never used an IDE this good before (in fact I used a text-editor and relied on error messages to fix my issues)
but after installing installing Windows 10 its a blast using VS with its debugging and general quality of life tools (only issue it has a brief learning curve)

Since when is anything apple used in the server market?

it can be turned into a server for testing I mean.
It wouldn't make sense to turn it into an actual server.

Because it's basically for developers.

Also i work with windows server 2012 R2 at work so yeh.. i know how it is.
Also fuck developers your a bunch of fagots

Swapped to windows since i needed VS and other native .NET stuff

good:
>software compatibility is great
>drivers are automatically installed
>no more package errors which where a headache
>(not gamer) but vidya performance is night&day
bad:
>processes are WAAYYY more taxing on CPU and RAM
>crashes under heavy load
>more "streamlined" means have to jump over hoops to get things to work
>the terminal in linux was my favorite thing because it was so convenient

Attached: ebin.png (300x168, 7K)

so you're just the guy from it? sounds about right

A disparaging tone from a guy who values an operating system for the sheer amount of resources that needs to be spent

It's cuter

zoomer

>Why do developers prefer it to windows?
Because they want to larp as a proficient programmer