I'm having an aneurysm trying to find the perfect beginner distro to get my skeptical friends into linux...

I'm having an aneurysm trying to find the perfect beginner distro to get my skeptical friends into linux, everything ends up being shit
my criteria has boiled down to:
>not ubuntu
>debian-based, since .deb packages are the most widespread thus making it easier for beginners
>easy to install newer software than found in stock debian's stable/testing repos
why doesn't this exist?

Attached: no-ubuntu.gif (393x400, 16K)

>not ubuntu

why are you making this hard on yourself, dear retard?

just use ubuntu lmao

same problem OP,
i'm trying to find a car for my friend, but it's got to not be a fucking volvo, and oh yeah wheels are a definite out

can you help me?!?!

Attached: 1f9141.png (512x512, 44K)

Check out trisquel if its still around.

I've come to the realization that ubuntu makes a poor first impression on people, I've helped many computer illiterates install their first distros and with ubuntu it always turns into a complaint fest about how slow and unresponsive it was, and how it felt like it was trying too hard to be an alternative instead of having its own identity
it's easy to underestimate a normie's ability to judge the faults of an OS they've never used, but they're not idiots, it subconsciously seeps in and makes the experience worse than if they just tried a proper distro with some nice default packages or something

this is a retarded comparison, are you implying ubuntu is the only way to use debian?

trisquel is ubuntu-based but thanks anyway user

This is a stupid thread, but I'm bored.
Anyway, unironically, KDE Neon.

What's wrong with Ubuntu? Sure, GNOME is a piece of shit, but there are versions with different DEs. There's even Mint which has less of Canonical's bullshit.

literally just debian stable

Pop OS

just use Ubuntu, or Manjaro

>inb4 no deb
it's easier to install from the AUR, quite a lot more of packages

Linux Mint, or LMDE since you're so butthurt against Ubuntu.
Solus.
Elementary OS.
Fedora - as an absolute last option.

Don't give them Gnome Ubuntu as the first DE, use Budgie or Mate.

yeah, give them the freetard pill so none of their proprietary-driver only shit will work and come to places like this shitty site crying because linux sucks and their wifi and soundcard doesn't work.

Actually, this is another good choice too. I still wouldn't recommend Gnome for a starter DE.

this graphic you used in your post isn't going to win you a lot of sympathy, just sayin'.

This makes me wonder how good Devuan is for beginners.

Mint, especially if they're used to Windows.
>but it's based on ubuntu
It's better. It really is.

Attached: 1200px-Linux_Mint_19__Tara__(Cinnamon).png (1200x750, 459K)

>not ubuntu/ubuntu-based
>needs to be .deb based
>more up to date than debian-stable/testing
so, nothing that exists?
Ubuntu with Mate or XFCE is the best distro for all use cases fi you want normie compatibility so chad/stacy can still use spotify and tinder
or you could stop trying to get retards to install Linux, if they haven't already installed a distro then they don't want to
maybe expand your search to rpm distros like Fedora and OpenSuse, things like RPMFusion exist and most packages that are precompiled are packaged in both .deb/.rpm

pop os is ubuntu based
linux is a shitty insecure version of ubuntu, not sure about lmde, has anyone actually used it? does it even get support?
elementary is ubuntu-based, the rest are non-deb
probably not great but you get a high five for using devuan
shut up

all the other suggestions on this thread are appreciated, thanks for the help, if I find the perfect distro before the thread dies I'll post an update =)

>linux is a shitty insecure version of ubuntu
*linux mint is a shitty insecure version of ubuntu

>the perfect distro
You'll never find any such thing.

you're right user, but I can dream

Attached: 1565367225931.png (460x386, 218K)

Ubuntu but with Budgie desktop

Attached: SPOILER_4rtv95ulabv21.png (319x478, 146K)

LMDE was made in case Ubuntu ever takes a dive and Mint has to switch to Debian. It's pretty solid.

>not ubuntu
>debian-based, since .deb packages are the most widespread thus making it easier for beginners
>easy to install newer software than found in stock debian's stable/testing repos
So, something like MX Linux?

Attached: mx.png (90x86, 3K)

MX is pretty solid

Dont listen to anyone in this thread. Unless theyre advising zorin they need to fuck off. Zorin is the most redpilled distro.

I was going to suggest this too but didn't want to get called a faggot.
>why do i even come here

literally Xubuntu LTS with arc gtk theme

ZorinZorin

shut up faggot, zorin is an ubuntu reskin

>over 9000 posts
I can't believe I'm gonna be the first one to say:
>install gentoo

Jow Forums is literally dead.
Goodnight sweet prince.
I use arch btw

this is the most reddit post I've ever seen in my entire life, it's like your entire knowledge of Jow Forums comes from screenshots with the ifunny logo on them

this shit is really good actually
great defaults, stable as a rock, a lot of scripts that make your life easier
plus it's developed by the well known antiX and MEPIS guys rather than some literal who's

>not Ubuntu
you're a fucking idiot OP

debian testing

Mint Xfce, Manjaro Xfce, KDE Neon, Mint Cinnamon

Ubuntu isn't as user friendly as Mint or Manjaro. Ubuntu is just meant to be a DE showcase.

Stop meme-ing. Mint is much better than Ubuntu as a desktop OS.

No distro can get you "into" linux, the command line will.

If they can't use the command line, linux is unusable. It literally is just not going to work out, even short term.
Show them how to do linux commands and fuck around with a VPS/VM first, then they can use it as their real OS.

go with mint or LMDE

Attached: Logo_Linux_Mint.png (622x565, 98K)

Just use ubuntu with unity, it's basically like a Mac

Solus, it's not debian based, but it's the most normie-friendly distro around.

U mad bro?

Mint or Ubuntu
Don't be a retard. Give them something that works out of the box, stick to LTS releases. They're responsive enough.
I find Gnome aesthetic because it doesn't look like Windows. If you want something that looks like Windows, stick to Mint. KDE Neon is for intermediates because it offers a lot of control, making it not a good first distro for non-autists.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-19 13-37-55.png (1600x900, 880K)

I've never tried Mint, the online repository backdoor issue gets me. But I don't see how Mint could be better than UbuntuMATE. I think mate's great.

Attached: 3d66c2ecea95dd7c280d54381981914d29342c59.jpg (3840x2160, 351K)

your friends dont need to use linux and if you convince them to use it out of your own autism youll turn them away from it forever

this is Jow Forums so people prefer to talk about the newest repackaged & rethemed & rebroken bullshit like mint and manjaro.

Where is elementary OS? :DDD

What's a good mail client for linux? I need something that can connect to an exchange account, and handles Outlook invites without shitting itself.

enjoy your bloated botnet

the issues you complained about seem like they are more linked to the de than the actual os. I would just give them ubuntu with xfce cause it's the closest to windows

Pop!OS faggot

Elementary is fucking ass and hard to use. I couldn't bare it 10 minutes before I gave up.

PopOS is the superior distro

Bloated botnet is a completely meaningless term.