Buy WD Red 10TB drives to migrate data from old dying disks

>buy WD Red 10TB drives to migrate data from old dying disks
>haha no worries, you've paid extra, the MTBF is 1M hours!
>dies after 10 months
And I thought Seagate was bad.

Attached: wdc-red-kill.png (850x500, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-q2-2019/
backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q1-2019/
backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2018/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Was this a shucked drive? How many drives do you have in your NAS? almost a year in a NAS really isn't too bad, especially if you have 10+ disks as you have 10x times the chance of getting a shitty disk.

Also it's passing SMART and doesn't report any abnormal sectors. Does is have any pending sector count? honestly seems like it might be fine, could just be a dodgy SATA cable.

Lastly if your hard drives keep dying, maybe it's a you problem? stop dropping them.

Just two disks.

Ran the diagnostics, 283 bad sectors. The SMART information's actually bad, I don't know what the UI is doing.

>room with AC
>placed disk directly from packaging into the NAS
yeah, no.

>Was this a shucked drive?
No it was not.

Updated check
>15k bad sectors with 0% of scanning finished
The drive is officially kill.

Well, so you got unlucky.

>4 ordinary seagate 4tb drives
>raid5
>in a windows server
>running for four years now 24/7 (minus an update a month ofc)
>zero bad sectors
To be fair, it's plugged into a half-decent UPS.

isn't it better to buy used disks with with good smart?

>MTBF is 1000k hours
>drive dies in 8k hours
That's unlucky like getting mauled by a bear in a city is unlucky.

They're all the same cheaply manufactured shit. Back your shit up and consider yourself lucky it died within the warranty period instead of a day after the warranty expired.

maybe your UPS drive threw the package like a football? never had a problem with my WDREDS

Attached: 2019-08-19-11:26:28_screenshot.png (1883x1025, 123K)

Attached: 2019-08-19-11:30:33_screenshot.png (1883x1025, 90K)

That's something I've always wanted to ask:
Do the G-sensors on hard disks trigger if the drive is powered off?
The obvious answer is "no", but manufacturers are not going to miss the opportunity to detect and knock back a warranty claim, simply because the drive is off.

>windows server

Attached: -.jpg (500x399, 29K)

Yes, here in the real world, not every server is (in effect) a single-tasking webserver.
If you ever actually worked behind glass doors, you might know this.

Spotted the boomer attendant. Get back to your help desk.

>MTBF is 1M hours
>mean time between fault
>mean
On average, if you have a trillion hard drives you'll get 1 million hours of useful life however it's no mean a guarantee that a drive picked at random WILL live 1 million hours. Some will seppoku after 5 minutes (albeit very very unlikely but there's a chance), some after 1 years, some after you're dead (still very very unlikely but there's still a chance).
You just were unlucky boi.

At least in three years I would've had a chance to upgrade. Now I got caught with my pants down.

That's certainly possible.

> [x] don't buy wd drives
noted.
calm down, boomer. what's the server running?

imagine not buying HGST drives
do you hate your data that much?

>boomer
NEETs detected. Opinions dismissed.

Attached: 1556816858123.jpg (1024x538, 173K)

Now you're just embarassing yourslef little zoomie.

I'm listening. Any recommendations in the 10TB range?

Attached: 1540628674924.png (800x1100, 528K)

Nope, not a NEET. I'm just not paid to babysit boomers all day, so I have no connection to Windows shit.

>I'm just not paid
We know, we know.

Get back to your help desk. The boomers need more help with the Windows.

imagine being this much of a bitter boomer? this is what windows server does to you. it turns you into a fucking moron.

>keep saying boomer over and over again
Diminishing returns. And no I'm not the guy you were replying to, I'm OP.

So you're even dumber than the Windows faggot? LOL.

shut up, windows server cuck.

That's not Windows you fucking dolt.

Imagine being this asshurt to find out there's a world outside Jow Forums's Flatpak'd webservers.

>a world
It's a babysitting job. That is all Windows server admins do.

The Boomer is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him a Boomer and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”

>butchering Goebbels
kys

Except you didn't call him a boomer - you called me a boomer.

Attached: 1546715786368.gif (480x228, 610K)

I really liked the thot version I saw a few months ago.
>The THOT is immunized... But ask her about her relationship with her father and you will be astonished at how she recoils...

It really seems to be hit and miss with hard drives. I read a lot of stories about people buying multiple disks and one or two being faulty, regardless of the brand. Seems like QC could be a lot better.

I have 4 WD Red's in my NAS, they've been working for 6 years, 24/7, no issues so far.

that's wrong though, ask her about daddy and she'll be begging for you to be her new daddy

This thread has reminded me that I should spin up and check the cold spare. Haven't done it in a few months.

Big if true.
Protip: it's not.

It's just a ginormous pain in the ass when you have to assume that regardless of new or expensive the storage device is, it might break any minute. Having tens of terabytes of cold backups is expensive and wasteful, and exposing yourself to data loss seems even worse.

I feel like the only reasonable option at this point is backing up everything on tapes.

>regardless of how*

It is, but that's why I invested in the setup 6 years ago. 4 disks in RAID and an external disk for offsite backup. Not very cheap, but pretty reliable.

We get around this by having a backup array with scrubbing enabled. But we're a business, and can justify that sort of thing. I feel sorry for the home/enthusiast user.

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-q2-2019/

backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q1-2019/

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2018/

Seagate Iron Wolf Pros are more reliable

Checked my 5TB drive just now and it shows 123 bad sectors, time to move everything. Thanks for getting me to notice.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-19 11-23-18.png (1920x1080, 123K)

Buying oneself out of that problem seems to be the only legit solution. That, or a safe deposit box full of tapes.

>saying X is more reliable
>WD Reds not even listed
wew lad

I'm glad my misfortune at least helped to save someone else's data.

random disk failure is IMO, the least likely form of data loss unless you actually consistently strain your disks. How do you know a fire wont take the disk, or an earthquake (or whatever natural disaster can happen where you are), or a thievery, a software bug, an exploding power source, etc etc. We make backups because shit happens and a lot of data is irreplaceable. If your house blows up you can get a new house but you can't replace pictures of your family and friends that got lost.

>someone glad they helped save someone's ass
Where did Jow Forums go

Attached: 1545957341273.gif (320x244, 1.89M)

>random disk failure is IMO, the least likely form of data loss unless you actually consistently strain your disks
Boy that's not true. I've had like seven drives die on me in the past fifteen years, whereas I've had zero fires, burglaries, etc. I've had one PSU blow up and another die on me, but only the former damaged other components and even then it just fried the motherboard.

If your birth certificates and critical documents aren't in a safe deposit box in a bank, you're just playing with fire for no reason.

Friendly reminder that shit power has a lot to do with it. The only dead drives I've seen in the last few years have been in laptops, and non-UPS-backed desktops.

I live next to a uni campus, power outages (even a split-second ones) are a biennial thing or rarer. Obviously the outlets I use for the servers are protected against overcurrents/spikes.

Desu I'd say it's an unlikely culprit here.

>the only kind of bad power is outages
Spikes, surges, sags, brownouts, mains waveform distortions, etc. are things, too.

I don't live in Somalia/Burgerstan, so no, they're really not.

OK. Enjoy your ever-growing pile of dead drives, user.

I love you too, champ. Go talk to your mom upstairs, she worries.

I connected my other drives including the previous 5TB I removed due to constant death sounds; will just keep clones on all of them.

Attached: Ah shit.png (1618x660, 110K)

Drives that die unexpectedly usually die early on. Drives that run to MTBF usually run a good while longer, but the value gets dragged down because of early failures. This is also why certain industrial equipment manufacturers (particularly in Euro countries?) don't specify MTBF, preferring some other multi-value metric that takes factors like these into account, and whose name I forget.

If you didn't backup your data, you didn't want your data. Get the drive replaced under warranty and call it a day.