I don't get it, it's a bunch of basic reflections barely better than screenspace in movement...

guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-announces-support-for-lots-of-rtx-on-based-games-at-gamescom.html

I don't get it, it's a bunch of basic reflections barely better than screenspace in movement. Where the fuck is my perfect lighting?

Attached: 2019-02-15-image-4.jpg (3840x2160, 461K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UCfuZSEFzIg
techpowerup.com/review/metro-exodus-benchmark-performance-test/4.html
youtube.com/watch?v=g0et8bWoEJk
github.com/KhronosGroup/GLSL/blob/master/extensions/nv/GLSL_NV_ray_tracing.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's almost like RTX in iits current form is a scam to sell more graphics cards or something, and that the hardware to do most of what it promises at any sort of decent resolution or framerate is years off.

Those screenshots in the post are a nice improvement. Why do you hate progress?

should have swapped the labels to see a bunch of idiots try claiming the wrong one looks better, since they practically can never actually tell.

I always saw rtx as a nice gmimmick , like physx , but here i litterally can't see the fucking difference

Minecraft rtx for the windows store version.

youtu.be/UCfuZSEFzIg

Another feature that will prob never be touched or improved uppon again.

Seus shaders on Java Minecraft are hella more polished.

can't you already run same picture on non rtx cards with normal shaders?

RTX literally does nothing in the OP screenshot because in that game it only calculates bounce lighting and occlusion for the sky and the sun. That sewer has neither so it doesn't make any difference. If you want to see ray traced effects go click on the link and look at the pictures after the article.

minecraft kiddies are going to ask their parents for 2000$ computers to play this

Attached: 1534690207160.png (1024x576, 183K)

There's a mod that does path tracing in a shader. It runs slow and doesn't render everything correctly though. We'll see if the RTX version is much better when it comes out.

I must be blind or something because I can't tell the difference between the two, in terms of lighting. The right one seems a bit muddy, but that's not what RTX has anything to do with. Seems like Nvidia is trying to pull some fuckshit here to sell more cards.

>lots
>literally only a couple of games on the list are actually new
L M A O

see

here's a good comparison for metro
it's good in some scenes but does nothing in others
techpowerup.com/review/metro-exodus-benchmark-performance-test/4.html

Fpbp
/thread

Holy shit those puddles turning into perfect mirrors is this a parody?

The problem in those shots is they only have a single layer material model and they don't use a separate plane for the water so the puddles don't render translucent on top of the surface. The rendering is correct but the art assets are incorrect.

youtube.com/watch?v=g0et8bWoEJk
gotta start somewhere, tech is years off for anything of artistic value

It’s a meme for fucktards. Do you remember PhysX?

Ray tracing is nothing like PhysX. This is a dumb AMD fanboy meme.

>and they don't use a separate plane for the water
maybe they just can't? nvidia probably gave them a bunch of libararies with no code to replace effects in the engine for certain materials and no ability to edit any fo that
so devs took the check and slapped it on with zero effort, gameworks all over again

GPU PhysX was a compute shader that could run on any modern GPU. Purely a piece of proprietary software. RT core is a hardware accelerator that speeds up triangle ray tracing 4x and frees up GPU resources for other tasks.

yeah, it's a lot like SSAO or tesselation

DXR is a standard part of DX12 now and it's trivial to implement a basic version. If Nvidia has a more substantial library for it and it doesn't support translucency I would be very surprised. The answer is they made the assets in a way that looks fine without good reflections but shows some flaws with them. They won't change all the art for RTX because it's a niche feature.

Minecraft uses opengl and I think it was a bit of a pain in the ass to do RT on that. I think a guy was trying to port it to vulkan but haven't heard anything from that fo some time

the java version runs on OGL and the windows store and xbox versions run on DX
DX12 has a cross platform RT API and vulkan has an extension for RT on NV cards only
OGL has no support for RTX

>DXR is a standard part of DX12 now and it's trivial to implement a basic version. If Nvidia has a more substantial library for it and it doesn't support translucency I would be very surprised. The answer is they made the assets in a way that looks fine without good reflections but shows some flaws with them. They won't change all the art for RTX because it's a niche feature.
It's going to be pointless until all lighting is raytraced. By the time it's feasible to use it rtx 2080s will be outdated.

There are some nice incremental gains from RTX already. It's the same as any other cutting edge GPU melting graphics effect. They're always used in a crude way at first for a high cost. Next year's RTX software will look better than this year's and it will run better too.

Isn't the point of games like those to not have the best graphics imaginable? Isn't that a part of the charm?

well that's just shameless

no it's fine Nvidia has nice and ez to use GL extension github.com/KhronosGroup/GLSL/blob/master/extensions/nv/GLSL_NV_ray_tracing.txt

Interesting I did not know they had RTX on GL. They didn't promote it much. Thought they only had the extension for Vulkan.

imagine being an early adopter and paying the new RTX tax nvidia forced on people and not sticking onto your pascal card (or even polaris/vega for that matter) for 2 more years

I don't think a lot of pascal/vega/polaris owners bought a turing card. That's why they had slow sales. It was mostly people moving up from maxwell or worse.

The purpose of raytracing is that AMD doesn't have it. Of course jewdia shills it to no end before rdna2 does it on the necessary level.

If the next gen AMD cards have good RT acceleration and match the Nvidia equivalent in power efficiency I'll buy one. For now I'm forced to buy Nvidia.

Keep in mind that rdna2 will be there architecture with the raytracing method that developers will have to develop games. Meanwhile they already dropping support for RTX in future titles.

I really don't think raytracing will be a huge, practical thing for a couple more years. Even PS5/Xbox Scarlet or whatever will need a bit of time to really push that tech forward.
t. not even going to read my replies

RT core is a hardware accelerator for BVH traversal and ray triangle intersection. Nothing in there depends on a specific software implementation. Any standard DXR software will run on any version of the RT core whether it's Nvidia or AMD or Intel or a software backend for any generic compute device.

amd going for shader hybrid ray tracing
meaning first gen navi will probably be fine with it too, I doubt ps5 production didn't start yet
so there is no magic RDNA2. AMD not going to add hardware for ray tracing next year,
year after maybe.

I wish AMD would let DXR run on navi, pascal can run it, at console fps and I think it's fine, they shouldn't be afraid of marketing blowback.
it will sound bad though because every youtuber retard will make it into direct confrontation amd/nvidia

>goytracing
Special offer: only $1299,99 for 80% less but you get special RTX©®™ so it's a good deal, goy!

Microsoft makes a compute shader fallback for DXR. The only reason AMD hasn't implemented it is marketing.

Attached: pc_gamer.jpg (720x960, 64K)

It just works

This.

It was just a marketing wank and nvidia trying to jew people into thinking they had something revolutionary and buy their overpriced gpus that didn't actually work as advertised.

That's the only game where the effect is actually worth it, seems like a 2080ti it's able to do ultra+rtx high at 70 ish fps. Not ideal, but for a story focused singleplayer game it's playable and the effect seems noticeable even in motion unlike bf5 that once you are focused on the game and on your gameplay you kinda forget about the reflections but you still notice the tremendous difference in framerate.

More games needs to go for the GI rtx usage of metro and I would think about buying day one a rtx 3080 or 3080ti once it comes out.

It's shit for now. But maybe in 3 or 4 generations it will be decent.

>not posting the one where he gets 2080s

2080 is going for 650. Worth it over a 2070 super?

People said the same thinf about tessilation until cards and implementations improved

>

Attached: amd_vs_intel_threads.png (457x324, 16K)

But you're entirely wrong here. Initially PhysX was, just like RT, dedicated hardware with its own card. It's only after NVidia bought it that the dedicated hardware was dropped and it was implemented for GPGPU.

>barely better than screenspace

I get you need to fit in with Jow Forums but fuck off, SSR is god awful, reflecting shit that would not ever be reflected given the angle of the view. It's more immersion breaking to have that shit turned on than to have opaque water.

>SSAO

A great feature? Turning this shit off in RE2 made the game look fucking awful.

RTX cards had very shit sales, clearly the people who owned Pascal didn't buy them, it was the people who were upgrading from Maxwell or older that did, since Pascal became impossible to get for acceptable prices.

Not comparable. PhysX died because it took too much work to implement, every effect it could achieve had to be made to do that. Only Mirrors Edge and Borderlands 2 really made good use of it, with hundreds of effects each. It just wasn't worth the dev time spent on the effects.

RTX on the other hand is hands off and takes nearly zero effort, if your engine supports it (UE4, Frostbite, soon Unity) you just toggle it on or off for light points and that's it, you now have ray tracing. If you're working with UE4, which implemented it last fall, it takes you 1 checkbox to have ray tracing in your game, the dev time on implementation adds up to hours over a games development.

>windows 10 minecraft
into le trash it goes

>gaymertards

Attached: 1556161467399.jpg (625x625, 46K)

This is not an improvement.

Attached: file.png (1440x809, 1013K)

they don't care how it looks
they only care about the fact that you use it and the fps drops so you have to buy a 2080ti

literally what puddle?

I wouln't say scam, its just something that is not ready for prime time yet, but there are early adopters.
It's like those S3 and Matrox cards that "supported 3D acceleration" as a second hand shit.
At the moment, i bet you can only get decent raytrace performance if you have a dedicated raytrace card, just like it was with 3D acceleration back then.

Attached: diamond-stealth-3d-2000-pci-2mb-D_NQ_NP_749958-MLA27998844392_082018-F.jpg (1200x900, 290K)

Thumbnail looks like a box of off-brand condoms

Well, it IS a S3 Virge so

This. Ray tracing is cool but we just don't have the hardware to actually implement it.

The current crop of games that use a gimped form of it are basically only playable on a 2080ti and that won't age well.

Except remember the part where the demo game for physX (cell factor) turned out to be fully playable without dedicated hardware?

Without a performance impact?

That's what half a decade of no competition does.

This is pretty much why I ended up buying an RTX card on sale half a year ago.
The 980 was not going to perform well enough at higher resolutions and refesh rate. For HITMAN(TM) 2.

>AMD fanboy meme
Except AMD has promised its own ray tracing implementation.
Right now ray tracing is objectively a meme.

Lol I bet his friends hate him

>having friends
you are so old fashioned

>ray tracing
>retina display
>M drive logic
>PDK
>Tesla Supercharger
>crest 3D White

Welcome to marketing 101

>Right now ray tracing is objectively a meme.
>Raytracing is a meme because the less successful GPU makers hasn't implemented it yet
You're right, not AMD fanboy meme - it's AMD shill meme

It's not widely supported, so it's comparable to laserdisc, betamax, and physx currently.

As soon as AMD announces some sort of half-baked Raytracing pajeets on here and going to shill it endlessly.

Remember when Navi introduced a sharpening filter and people were shilling it? Embarrassing.

delid dis OP!

Attached: novalue.png (1480x926, 194K)

>rtx for minecraft

Attached: wtf_am_i_reading.jpg-1.jpg (1280x720, 44K)

>so you have to buy a 2080ti
why you no buy 2x2080ti and an NVlink?

Attached: nvidiot 56% neckbeard.png (1278x770, 569K)