/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 74653.jpg (620x354, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/a/11561
youtube.com/watch?v=4qSziR6sD8Q
gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
github.com/NixOS/rfcs/pull/49
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for Debian

But there's no reason someone couldn't have made a separate Xorg right? So what's the difference?

The difference is that it's easier to re-implement a smaller piece than it is to do a larger piece. That's where the power of "the unix way" comes in. Wayland is much closer to that ideal of "do one thing and do it well".

Likewise, there's no reason someone on Wayland can't invent a separate isolated utility specifically for forwarding and only forwarding and we all use that 1 thing. You still have the same uniformity, but it's uniformity by choice, not by force.
And when someone with very special needs comes along and really needs to diverge from that then it's easier for him to re-implement that 1 smaller piece than it is for him to write a whole new Xorg server.

dmesg shows me these issues on Debian 10:

[drm:amdgpu_device_suspend [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu asic reset failed

[drm:gfx_v8_0_hw_fini [amdgpu]] *ERROR* KCQ disabled failed (scratch(0xC040)=0xFFFFFFFF)

Any ideas how to fix this?

Attached: 74grt4.png (600x600, 143K)

I'm not very knowledgable in this area but one thing I'm weary of is that Wayland has 3D and compositing out of the box. Isn't that more monolithic?
askubuntu.com/a/11561
>It's supposed to simplify the whole graphics stack by forcing everything through a standard GEM/DRM stack straight into the kernel and managing compositing itself.
>Compare that to the X stack where you have bits and bobs all over the place. Some of the X mess has been through flexible design, some have been growing pains. All the compositors (Compiz/Metacity/Mutter/KWin/etc) have been added as an afterthought. They are, at their core, hacks to do what X should probably be doing itself.
To be honest it seems like these things should be the display server's responsibility anyway, but I'm weary of scope creep.

I don't know about any of that. I'm in favor of whatever is more flexible and I guess I always thought that was Wayland consider it's just a library.
Never heard anyone suggest it might be the other way around. But I really wouldn't know.

Downloaded the guixSD qemu image to try it. Looks like guix isn't able to import custom made nix package repos for some reason. That sucks

Attached: 2019-08-19-10:04:14-1020x766.png (1020x766, 144K)

What is the best book for studying for RHCSA exam?

Reposting from last thread because no one answered:
I can put a drive with an installed distro into a new laptop and it should just werk right? Even the UEFI part?

Yes

Thanks user

Remember to cross your appendages and pray. Bootloaders are the tricky part.

I mean I can just try and if it doesn't work, shred /boot right?

Why is Fedora so fcking slow, lads?

Attached: 1561492861515.jpg (292x200, 17K)

I just spent three and a half hours setting up cups and I can finally print over the network. I'm kinda wondering why I do this to myself.

There's a firmware package in nonfree, my Vega wouldn't work until I installed it. Did you do that?

Attached: 1545824997419.jpg (640x640, 60K)

>There's a firmware package in nonfree, my Vega wouldn't work until I installed it. Did you do that?

Which package is that, exactly?

Since now antergos is no longer a thing, which distro should I use? No manjaro pls as it breaks like clockwork.

arch sis :)

firmware-amd-graphics, you wont see it till you enable contrib and nonfree and apt update

Thanks user! Problem is: it's already installed.

It's not though? Are you waiting on dnf cache updates a lot? alias dnf='dnf -C'

Oh. Well, then I'm out of ideas, sorry.

It's ok. Thanks anyway!

Why would you run a server off anything other than RedHat?

not him but thanks!

because i know arch well and you can run an (actually) minimal docker host quite easily with it.

xfce 4.14 is now available on pacman.
on average, how long does it take for pacman to get a new version of a program after the developers release it? seems to have taken just a few days in this case.

lol

Is already fixed that of the c-states issue?

>simple
>minimal
>stable
what else could you ask for, user?

>cups
Tried doing something similar. Only took about half an hour,butwhen I went to print the test page, nothing happened. 10 minutes later the printer pooped out a postscript syntax errorr. My dad was like "That's what you get for using a stupidly complicated distro. Let me show show you how it's done." and fired up Ubuntu MATE. Went to print a test page and the printer started shitting out pages with about 5 letters on each.

Printing is fucked, especially if there are no native drivers and you have to resert to using ppd files.

Pacman is a packet manager, a means by which to acquire and manage software, it doesn't make software available, that is a question of the repositories.
Your question can not be answered, as it is non-sensical, you need to ask about your repository, since the release of software carries between different repositories.

In one case the Arch repositories, from which a default arch system draws it's packages through pacman, is known to update quite quickly, in this case the update became available on the same day, August 12, on which the release of the new xfce version was announced.

This is different from eg. the Manjaro repositories, from which a Manjaro installation draws it's packages, also through the use of Pacman, which usually take a while longer, which can mean weeks.

big brother always watches

Attached: cf35e1c.jpg (3840x2160, 367K)

Depends on how much free time that package's maintainer has on their hands. Usually it's only a few days.

Check: Some suggestions from more knowledgeable gentoomen would be nice.

Attached: 1495933324146.jpg (605x605, 29K)

"no"

Nobody asked you Pajeet, I asked to knowledgeable gentoomen.

Fuck off faggot, no one likes you cunts.

>not taking every chance to drop the FOSS red pill
>thinks he's a gentoomen
Go wipe your ass.

> literal cancer trying to escape literal cancer

Attached: 664.jpg (558x614, 18K)

Ordinary, absolutely, but you cockroaches need to be flushed out, not hidden. Choke on a dick.

Here you go, just my 2c:

Attached: 1424830462030.jpg (369x246, 26K)

>xfce 4.14 is now available on pacman.

When will Debian / Ubuntu have it?

Attached: 1562263794610.jpg (480x480, 30K)

in a couple of years probably

>she doesn't compile from source

I'll wait for the official release.

Attached: 1561000010546.png (585x682, 60K)

What do weebs use for Japanese input?
ibus+mozc is buggy as fuck from what I tested.

I can't access the BIOS of a Computer, can I take its Hard disk, install Linux Mint from another one and then put it back on?

xfce4-sensors-plugin does not even list entry for HDD temperature monitoring despite hddtemp installed
`

stop using xfce

Why does Qubes use exclusively female pronouns in their documentation when referring to adversaries and the user? Is it a reference to the Eve/Alice/Bob thing?

I hate printer manufacturers so god damn much

They're like ISP level bad

The microphone on my Asus X401A (with Intel audio) has a horrible background noise that makes it unusable. I'm using Xubuntu 19.10 now, but it also didn't work on Xubuntu 18.10.
Where should I look to fix this?
Should I take the Windows blue pill if it just works there?

They want to imagine all their users are cute little girls.

>using memedora

How is KDE?

What are some modern GNU/Linux distros that can run on a PII system with 97MB RAM? Pic related. Doesn't seem to be enough RAM for Puppy Linux, and TinyCore is having severe driver issues out of the box.

I'm debating whether to just grab some lightweight distro from 15+ years ago.

Attached: vtg-ibm-thinkpad-380xd-laptop-windows_1_ff861dcdb13af5f2cd159f0a953d4d8f.jpg (868x1080, 186K)

Gentoo. youtube.com/watch?v=4qSziR6sD8Q

just installed fedora on my laptop and i'm sorry i didn't do this earlier. sure, it uses wayland, gnome, systemd etc but it works fucking great out of the box, its fast and i don't have to fiddle with setting for hours just to make it usable

yes Fedora is my go-to distribution to get things done

what's wrong with systemd and wayland?

Is there a way to open an openbox menu from the command line? I want a .desktop file to open an openbox menu I made, but I can't seem to find a way.

Whats a good qt image browser? Im using gwenview and the delay between opening and browsing images is shit. ideally i want speed, like when i used honeyview on windows shit was fast. Also are there ANY image viewers that are good that also support zip and cbz that arent exclusively for comicbooks?

install xfce

Weird issue. Just installed kubuntu and my mouse works but won’t click on things? Like I can hover over things on the desktop but I’m unable to click on them.

perhaps some dirt between the button and the mouse?

Yeah bud. Working on windows fine. It’s a weird issue. Trying to install all these extra drivers now

You simply don't belong here if you're not using Arch GNU.

comfy once you've configured it correctly (the defaults suck)

On my laptop my touchpad sometimes just doesn’t work when trying to start Ubuntu and the only solution is to restart

How do I add multiple commands to /etc/issue ?
I've been able to add "clear" to it by running clear > /etc/issue but I also want to add neofetch to it, but adding neofetch overwrites everything.

how will that add a command line option to openbox?

Can I install Linux Mint on a Hard disk and then have it run on another PC?

yes

Could you recommend me (if such a thing is even available) a document/research server software that allows storing thesis PDFs, manuscripts and maybe download lectures under a self defined graph structure? eg. I might access the milewski category theory book under authors->milewski, topics->programming->fundamental concepts->category theory or topics->programming->Haskell. If it's possible, l would combine the results with download lecture videos from youtube

>not posting links to a previous thread
>not posting links to a new thread in a previous thread
Jeez-louise.. Get it together, would you?

Consider Trisquel.

Attached: trisquel.jpg (600x398, 122K)

saved

what's so special about it? gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/

crux, or anything you can compile a kernel yourself

Thanks, I have this PC where I can't access the BIOS dunno why so I am going to do that to it, hopefully it works.

> gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/
based

GNU/Linux is not for you.
Install some obscure bsd version that doesn't work on most hardware and is maintained by "libertarians" and go be a massive faggot there.

allg, i have bootable drives for using on different machines (library, school, etc)

Remember the times when library computers had open USB ports and you were allowed to install stuff on it as long as you asked nicely? Good for us kids that didn't have a PC at home

Friendly reminder to support the Libregamewiki even if you dont play games libregamewiki.org/Main_Page

Support developers.

Anyway to manage font sizes when using a 4K monitor and a 1080 monitor

Any weebs here?

Attached: anime.jpg (397x829, 117K)

dumb wojakposter

Attached: 1556314719310.jpg (622x670, 120K)

why not just Arch itself?

who? whom?

If I need to 1:1 clone a 128GB SD card, block for block, to a 256GB SD card, should I use dd if=/dev/sdX ? And then simply reverse it to "of" to copy the image to the larger drive?
It needs to be a block-level clone, I need to replicate the filesystem already on the SD card to the new one.

Yes.

My CPU is stuck at max boost with the slightest of loads, even though I'm explicitly telling it to stay at lower frequency.
I'm using arch btw, on an i5-3360M
analyzing CPU 0:
driver: intel_pstate
CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
maximum transition latency: Cannot determine or is not supported.
hardware limits: 1.20 GHz - 3.50 GHz
available cpufreq governors: performance powersave
current policy: frequency should be within 1.20 GHz and 2.80 GHz.
The governor "powersave" may decide which speed to use
within this range.
current CPU frequency: Unable to call hardware
current CPU frequency: 3.33 GHz (asserted by call to kernel)
boost state support:
Supported: yes
Active: yes
25500 MHz max turbo 4 active cores
25500 MHz max turbo 3 active cores
25500 MHz max turbo 2 active cores
25500 MHz max turbo 1 active cores

what do

>dmesg shows me these issues on Debian 10:
>[drm:amdgpu_device_suspend [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu asic reset failed
>[drm:gfx_v8_0_hw_fini [amdgpu]] *ERROR* KCQ disabled failed (scratch(0xC040)=0xFFFFFFFF)
>Any ideas how to fix this?

V8_0 HARDWARE Fini error

ASIC reset failed

Is it just me or this reads PROCESSING CHIP WONT TAKE INSTRUCTIONS

Sorry if this is dumb but is there a decent GUI-based program that would do this? gparted only seems to create or edit partitions, not clone them.
I only know about dd.

who? to whom?

Why would you want a GUI for a one line dd command?

For verification so that I don't fuck it up like the moron I am

hey nix bros, who's for this new flakes concept?
>github.com/NixOS/rfcs/pull/49
I personally don't have the brains to fully get if this is good or bad but based eelco always comes up with the best models

Also do you think guix will follow suite or have the developpements of these two projects gone completely seperate?

Attached: functionaltwins.png (1000x1000, 851K)