/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread:
>Read
(Yes the wiki is down, it usually comes back in a few days)

>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of Windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

Attached: aM7bKKma_700w_0.jpg (700x872, 136K)

Did 4chanX change? My header is replaced with this

Attached: Untitled.png (1897x44, 11K)

>youtube-dl -f bestaudio --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 --audio-quality 0 URL
When using this command I don't get a constant 256 bitrate throughout all files. Is this normal, since they'4e YT rips or am I doing something wrong?

Attached: polpol.jpg (1280x860, 208K)

Yes, while that has been partly reversed (commit "Maintain old default boardlist for people upgrading from previous versions"), in fact it did (commit "Remove Jow Forums boards from default custom board list.").
ccd0 has committed some questionable changes recently which appear to try steering users of the script away from Jow Forums to spinoff boards – adding a default custom board name to /qa/ was only the beginning.

Thanks for the insight. I guess as long as I can play visual novels and shitpost and run pycharm (I want to get into programming but I really haven't even dipped my toes in the water yet) I'm good.
If anyone has best bang for my buck recommendations please give me some.
much appreciation from babbyself

Attached: 1457797946770.jpg (657x527, 40K)

1. what is a good cloud storage with sane UX that isnt google because muh data hoarding, yet I need a reliable solution, so no nextcloud of some crypto fan at his home, it needs to be fast and run natively on android and debian

2. is there a good alternative to google calendar? the design is superb for me, and everything else (literally) feels worse, even the physical diary, but again, Jow Forums made me scared of big named tech comps

>expecting quality from YT rips
Come on, man. Just enjoy the free music.

Is it possible to have a basic idea of how good or bad airflow would be on a case?

This one is on sale where I live, an Aerocool Quartz, but I'm bothered about all the glass around not being good for airflow. I neither hate nor love LEDs, I care not about them but I don't find them annoying or worth bitching about either, but I'm more curious about other features.

Attached: 714afqYycEL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 109K)

Updated my GPU drivers and this happened on the second reboot. Although it seems to be from the monitor itself as unplugging its HDMI port maintains these artifacts. However, they go away after about 30 minutes of being turned on.

Anyone have any idea what this is? The monitor isn't even that old barely been 3 years.

Attached: monitor.png (1848x708, 643K)

Yeah, I know, I know. Just wanted to make sure if there's anything left that I can improve.

Restriction of airflow can help create suction between the front and back of the case.
Make your own PC user.

So I am working now as product support, but have a lot of downtime in between tickets and syserrors we have... What can I do to better my IT skills in this downtime?

Get a cert?

I built my PC, that's a case. I'm trying to find a cheap case but most of what I can find is more expensive than the suggested prices everywhere. There's barely any deals here and this one caught my eye.

Thing is, anything coming from the front seems to be important on a case yet this one looks to be pretty restricted (but looks can be deceiving).

Here.

damm all good things eventually go to shit

You're using LAME's VBR encoding. If you want CBR (which I don't recommend, since -q0 is all you need and LAME is better at VBR than CBR), then use --audio-quality 256K

yeah, at this moment it is out of my budget. I was thinking about getting network+ as soon as I get paid double.

> soon as I get paid double.
Jow Forumsod bless you user.

Thanks a lot, mate.

Attached: truck-kun gets isekai'd.jpg (1280x1854, 567K)

What is currently a good entry level IT job?
I can get a cert along the lines of CompTIA A+ or an LPIC-1 if needed.

What exactly are you asking a reccomendation for?

A laptop for school.
Budget is $900

Right here.

Suppose I have an account at a crypto exchange which is tied to my real name.
I want to get my XMR out, without the person I want to send them to afterwards having any possibility of finding out who I am.
How many passes of transfering Monero is enough? Multiple wallets on one computer is fine, right? Can this be automated on CLI somehow?

Attached: 8abf7c600d30a828ef601b1214cf25f7341cdba6.png (268x332, 118K)

Anyone?

bump

Hey Jow Forumsuys, About a week or 2 ago I asked about a RegEx pattern that could match X but not if Y came before X.

Example

Match: faggot thread
No Match: no faggot thread

I would just use lookbehinds but I'm on firefox and lookbehind assertions are part of ES2018

Please help Anons?

Use any available Javascript code which can simulate lookbehinds using the supported regular expressions (which in the simplest but slowest case means reversing X, Y and the regular expression and just using lookbehinds). You're rather SOL if you can only change a RegExp and nothing else.

Monitor panel is broken. 3 years is kinda long for what appears to be chink shit. Use this as an opportunity to buy better monitor.

Is it OK to pirate on library wifi if I use a VPN?

Unless you're torrenting something like CP, public wifi is a free for all just don't torrent 24/7

It was a decent LG panel. Why does it go back to normal after 30 minutes of use?

is ccleaner fine?
all the memes and sarcastic comments about it get me confused if people actually like it or hate it

My pc shuts off when too much shit is going on, mostly when Im torrenting more than one thing. But it somtitmes it shuts down the second I start a new torrent after a while of not downloading.
Its been going on for 3 weeks is this salvageable?

The InstallGentoo Wiki said something against it
Don't remember what, just ended up using Wise Registry Cleaner & Wise Disk Cleaner (Both reccomended by the InstallGentoo Wiki).
Although the InstallGentoo Wiki was ~3-5 years out of date before it went down for maintainence

seems like ram. while youre already on the act of torrenting i suggest you download more ram

When I use pcpartpicker with the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and the "MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard" but it says here is an incompatibility. I thought X470 motherboards didn't have any issues with the 6 core ryzen 3s. I don't want to dick around with BIOS flashing since it's not for me, but for a friend half way across the world and he's not so tech literate. Is a 570 the only way to go to not dick around with the motherboard bios?

What OS? Have you modified the OS? How?

Is has a slightly shady history. Also most of what it does is a meme, especially the "registry cleaner". You can delete some bloaty files with bleachbit, clean everything by wiping windows, or learn to live with shit. That's about all of your real options.

How do you guys deal with butt-mud

Attached: 1479999910698.jpg (480x300, 22K)

If you're too incompetant to update your firmware then yes, just buy the trash hardware, it's the only way.

its windows 7 32 bit (Not legit) I havnt modified it at all

It probably is RAM.
Samefag

Attached: thinking face emoji.png (426x146, 6K)

Please?

ask around on job sites

okay, we swapped our router not long ago. since then the port in my room is dead.

it is connected like this:
router -> cable a -> port in other room -> cable in wall -> port in my room -> cable b -> switch

with the new router, the switch doesnt get any connection. if i connect my laptop directly with cable a, it gets connection.

now we tried the old router again and i got connection on my port.

another port on the new router doesn't help either. what could that be

But an online ups. Shit electricity. You probably live in a third world country (nothing wrong with that but shit electricity is the norm). Higher quality components have narrow tolerances for that stuff.

Unfortunately the 5xx boards are the only ones compatible by default, and they don't release the cheap ones till next year. Which is a shame, becasue the 570's are hella power inefficient thanks to their prototype pci 4 you'll never use, and they have that fan that's likely to break. You may be able to find pre flashed boards somewhere, and some of the msi boards have a button that lets you flash from usb without an old processor.

But IS IT true that x470 boards also need an update to run 3rd gen ryzen? Thought it was only B450 (and older). If both x/b 470/50 need an update I'd rather go with a B than an X since cheaper. BUT IS IT the case

Any way to batch remove the first audio stream/tag the language? I have about 150 files with english and japanese audio, but the streams do not have information on which language they are so it's always defaulting on the first stream.

Attached: 1560237109881.jpg (720x351, 12K)

The /fwt/ is down, so I figured I would just ask here.
I downloaded Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro and created a bootable USB using Rufus.
When I boot up my PC from the USB and reach the part of the installation asking me for a drive to install Windows, I get the following error:
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI system, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."
Help? It's an old office PC, fwiw.

Yeah I read about those as well. Shame indeed having something so good being out so broken. I reckon at least someone lost his job. Guess I'll just tell him to suck it up and flash the BIOS no biggy. He'd appreciate saving a few bucks going with a B450 instead too if I manage to find one with the feature.

What are the differences between Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Software Engineering? Both in terms of college courses and day-to-day responsibilities in your job

since you don't already understand the difference, forget about them and go electrical or mechanical

What kind of config do I need for smooth 1080p60fps youtube playback in MPV? I can play videos fine in the browser so I don't see why MPV should be struggling.

How expensive is it to run a rasberry pi for a year for example? I got a raspberry 2b i think and I want to selfhost email as a project and maybe other stuff but don't know how expensive it is to run one 24/7. I'll need just Kwh for comparisson. Can't find any good numbers on my own

Computer science in its proper sense in a subfield of mathematics. Computer engineering is the engineering of computers. Software engineering is the design and creation of software. Confusion arises because at a lot of colleges "computer science" is 90% software engineering with a few actual theory classes thrown in haphazardly.

>day-to-day responsibilities in your job
they're completely different

I want one of my pc drives to be a NAS but accesibel only via password
i'm using only linux so i'm not concerned with windows compatibility

Is it perhaps that YT serves you AVC streams, while youtube-dl downloads VP9 streams?

a raspi 2b will take around 3,5W under load

3,5 x 24 x 365 = 30,660 kWh/Year

is it me or am i just my eyes or if its in some weird mismatching of settings but i feel like my mouse randomly disappears every now and then and i need to shake it around to find where it is

I'm not actually trying to be any type of engineer or work with computers for a living (medfag) so I'm asking only out of curiosity

Thanks dude.

What's the best VPN that has a free trial?

Attached: 1563739155060.jpg (450x338, 40K)

Accelerated C++, chapter about difference between hash tables and C++' associative arrays.
"In other words, although C++ associative containers will typically be slightly slower than the best hash-table data structures, they perform much better than naive data structures, their performance does not require their users to design good hash functions, and they are more convenient than hash tables because of their automatic ordering."

What's a naive data structure?

Is there a replacement for the Hydrus 8ch board? I looked on their github and twitter but didn't see anything.

does anyone know how good cheap laptop batteries from ebay are? I don't expect them to give the capacity they advertise, but I don't want to buy it if it will just crap out on me a few months later.

they suck dick. I bought one last year and it didn't even hold 2 months

Don't medfags get general education in your country?

I'm getting 1.5Gbps FTTH installed soon. What's the most affordable way to take advantage of it without relying on my ISP's equipment? Except for the fiber module, which I'm assuming will be SFP+.

just bought a new phone.
whats the best way to block the fucking selfie camera so the chinks can't stare at me?
adhesive tape would collect tons of pocket lint over time.
would permanent marker do the job?

duct tape

pocket lint

>being this paranoid but still owning a smartphone
retard. this is what's wrong with people today, they want to be all cool and subversive but refuse to change literally anything about their day to day life in order to achieve it.

>implying you can be a functional member of society without owning a smartphone today
I bought the cheapest one I could find and they STILL had to cram a fucking selfie camera in it. if I wanted to take pictures I'd buy a standalone camera

you can take it out

and this

bump

All free VPNs are shit, that being said Windscribe is one of the least shit ones.

Don't expect them to do you any favors though.

Fiddle with Rufus`s configuration until it`s set to EFI.

>download 70 minute 240 mb mp4 video file
>use windows 10 video editor to cut it down to 20 minutes
>now it's 270 mb
Both files are same resolution so what the shit is going on?

Attached: 5853642.jpg (398x356, 47K)

>windows 10 video editor

>she's not using ffmpeg in command line

/sci/ is in the other end of the building.

go to the hospital

o-ok.

Attached: 1fs2br.jpg (550x547, 56K)

Screen artifacting, is there anything that can cause this that isn't the GPU?

Attached: 44e4c06a465c7e7f7416b8049b055488.jpg (2707x1800, 392K)

re-bump, please

How do filters work in Clover? I copied my filters from 4chanX but they don't seem to do anything there.

If you trans-/reencode media then the input size means absolutely nothing. It's similar to when you convert an MP3 file to FLAC. The file size will explode, even though both files store the same audio track with the same quality.
When you convert lossy to lossy you have the same problem, only that you degrade the quality no matter what.

Err...

Attached: rufus.png (422x537, 20K)

You either have to set partition scheme to MBR or wipe the drive you want to install to with diskpart clean.

I see people shitting on VPNs are those people right and if so what are other ways of being anonymous online?
I saw people talking about VPS in regards to them? Can anyone point me in the right direction to resources to look into it?

>You either have to set partition scheme to MBR
I think that's what I did at first, which led to me getting the error I explain in .

>or wipe the drive you want to install to with diskpart clean.
How would I go about that? First time I'm ever going to try it.

I can't change region on my tplink archer C7 v2, can I flash openwrt on it and get access to better wifi channels?

PLEASE reply

Attached: 1541394477693.jpg (645x671, 81K)

Boot installer, open command line, run commands.

give it back

Is it mathematically possible to create the inverse function of a hashing function like sha256? One where you give a 16byte hash and it outputs data, be it a password or random file.

nice meme
the allowed frequency bands are a mess at my new apartment