Got a nice new 1TB SSD for my old desktop. Ready to upgrade to a recent distro...

Got a nice new 1TB SSD for my old desktop. Ready to upgrade to a recent distro. But god damn i hate organizing and backing shit up. And you always forget to back up something important.

Attached: ubuntu1604lts.jpg (1528x864, 97K)

I hear you. Making the exact same switch this weekend. Making a really good dot files repo went a long way

Just upgrade to the newest Ubuntu LTS version every 2 years. I don't have many personal files anyway, just one folder for pictures and one folder for documents, not even a gigabyte combined.

what do you do on your machine?

Just backup your entire /home dir. Done.

Most I do is done in the browser. I watch Youtube, lurk Jow Forums, watch Netflix, listen to Spotify, write mails, write a few documents from time to time, use GIMP from time to time.

>upgrade to SSD
>fresh install
>don't copy anything over
>keep HDD around in case I need any old files
>have never plugged HDD back in

Attached: d9901acccdeb47eb900624ed45ff8588.jpg (240x320, 13K)

so your machine is just a phone to you?

What do you do on your computer?

I play gaymz

draw diaperfur

on Linux?

i useto do the same as you but with work and casual gaming until i realised i can do all of it from my phone minus games. computer only comes on for games now

what phone do you have? If I can do it I rather do these things on my computer, there's more screen space, a dedicated mouse and keyboard, just more comfy experience than doing all on a small touchscreen
multitasking is much better too

Keep your home on a separate partition. No issues at all

Just keep /home in its own partition so you don't need to delete/restore it.

i suppose you're right with the convinience of a bigger screen and peripherals. I have a chink p20 pro so the large screen is nice for documents

I wasn't aware that was a thing. I'll look into it before upgrading. Thanks anons.

This is one of the things that made me fall in love with Linux. Separating the home partition let's me flash distros with wild abandon and if I don't like one I just wipe root and move on to the next one. Need to go to a new drive? cp ~/home /media/USB/. It's so much easier than trying to move windows around.

At most the biggest problem can be that configuration files become incompatible with the newer versions of your programs, so if anything weird happens with something, maybe delete the .config/program folder and let it recreate it.

Are you me?