AppImage, Snap, Flatpak

Opinions? Do you use them? Why/why not?
Which one is best?

Attached: index.jpg (300x168, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/Similar-projects
github.com/littleweeb/Desktop/releases/download/v0.4.0_linux_develop/LittleWeeb-0.4.0.264.AppImage
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Here is a nice overview about the three:
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/Similar-projects

Keep in mind that the wiki is written from AppImages's perspective.

Linux is a kernel and can't have packages by itself, what these are is GNU package managers

I don't use them generally because I'm on nix so they offer no benifits to me but I do have to use one appimage just because that's the only way ripcord is distrubited

Well ackshually Linux is just the kernel and-- SHUT THE FUCK UP NERD

go back reddit

>Do you use them?
no
>Why/why not?
>Which one is best?
nix

Attached: nixos.png (512x512, 115K)

What are you doing here? How did you find this place? Go away

Bet you laugh at the interject copy pasta. Fucking nerd larper.

I'm not sure but I'd bet that they don't require GNU tools, and if they do it's probably not very strongly. Even the Linux kernel compiles without any GNU software these days.

it's sad the kind of redditors that come here in the summer

>if they do it's probably not very strongly
>programs can have dependencies "not very strongly"

Attached: 1564051681143.jpg (812x1024, 61K)

I've only used AppImage and Flatpak.
I prefer AppImage because you only have one static "app" that generally just werx. With flatpak, there's a whole dependency tree behind it, so you might as well use "oldschool" managers like apt, dpkg etc.

>the Linux kernel
why are you repeating yourself? is that how you "people" talk on reddit?

aren't you all supposed to be in class right now

what was going through your head when you decided it was a good idea to post this

"God I wish these fucking interject larpers would shut the fuck up about GNU/Linux thinking that they are adding something to the conversation"

I use 3 AppImages:
>Nextcloud Client (cloud storage)
>Cryptomator (client-side encryption for cloud files)
>Electrum (Bitcoin wallet)

probably thinking about his reddit account and the points he will get

Good for you!

Guix >= Nix >>> flatpak > traditional package managers >>>> appimage

>Opinions
godsend
>Do you use them?
Flatpak where possible
>Why?
Cross distro package, sandbox
>Which one is the best?
Flatpak (sandbox)
Appimage (rootless, portable)

Did you know that Linux is also the term used to describe operating systems that use the Linux kernel?

Probably this, except add snap behind appimage

>the Linux kernel
try not repeating yourself before trying to make posts if you would like to be taken seriously, reddit

Kek it's useless to try to reason with them, they will just parrot back what they were told on plebbit or discord

>try not repeating yourself before trying to make posts
What the fuck are you on about?

hopefully they will stop coming here so much once summer ends and school starts again

Ubuntu
Apt
Ppa
It just works like a charm, so I dont give a fuck about managers.
I just google "install mariadb ubuntu" and get the ppa.
If author suggests snap, I use snap.

Attached: 1564566537637.jpg (381x353, 66K)

>call other people redditors
>proceed with autistic circlejerking

go back man

I look good on that pictre, thanks.
Tfw no MommyDom Yandere cruel gf.

nix or guix

heh made me smirk
you're alright op

Snap is shit.
AppImage is alright.
I don't like Flatpak but I admit it fills a niche for shit like steam/discord that you may want to keep separate and sandboxed to some extent. I say to some extent as I think the sandbox isn't particularly meaningful and as far as I know the permissions an application asks for are forced on you and you can't reject them.

>as far as I know the permissions an application asks for are forced on you and you can't reject them.
Meh. Better than nothing, though?
Do you have any experience with running AppImages sandboxed, e.g. with firejail or AppArmor?

Are you using GuixSD (if so, how is it?) or are you using Guix in another distribution?

Appimage is best for cross platform and reverse compatibility. However it's buggy sometimes

Flatpak would be my favorite but It's so hard to find the actual .flatpak files. I need them so once the server goes down I can still install it without porting folders into another distro.

Snap is quasi proprietary crap but still gets the job done.

Red hat packages are also useful cross platform compatibility.

No I'm using NixOS currently
I'm very interezted in guix (mostly because of guille and shepherd desu) but I alreadt sank deep into nix and my configs and I don't want to rewrite all of my comfygs again.
Also Guixsd has no zfs support

Flatpak applications have some weird glitches. Libreoffice used to have a problem with the mouse after you clicked on clone formatting, the PSP emulator vanishes(exits) randomly. Snaps are slow as fuck. I only use appimages and it's for 2 programs maximum, everything else is in the repos(Debian).

t. Stallman-sama

as an *ubuntufag i was using snap for a while. it's good and it's fast, but there aren't as many snaps available as there are flatpaks, and snap incorporates a virtual filesystem approach as opposed to simple directories (which afaik means potentially better security). nonetheless, i eventually removed all my snaps, purged all the snap-related packages on my system, and switched to flatpak.

it is more flexible, there is more available software, and it includes great utilities to make repairing / maintaining your installations, removing unneeded runtimes, and batch updating, all very easy. flatpaks also can take advantage of my nvidia gpu globally, via the installation of an nvidia runtime, where snaps currently only support this on a per-application basis.

tldr: flatpak is very good.

based except when apt fucking breaks dependencies. i prefer to use flatpaks whenever i can. appimages are nice as a portable solution.

Attached: __alessandra_susu_and_tendouji_musubi_tokyo_7th_sisters_drawn_by_kichihachi__6e7a48e16aad8a824654d02 (631x700, 339K)

Prison for my programs? Another dependency? Bloat BS? A thing that will make my programs unrunnable in 10 years? No thanks.

too small to succeed

I use nixpkgs

/thread

I have 15 AppImages:
>Audacity
>Blender
>Calibre
>Ungoogle-Chromium
>E-Dex
>Freemind
>Gimp
>Inkscape
>Kiwix
>Libreoffice
>Pandoc
>Rambox
>Scribus
>VLC
>Wireshark

retard here, what's the profit of using those packet managers compared to standard distribution ones or to compiling from source

Snap and flatpak are package managers. There is no benefit of replacing your native package manager if you like the version in there.

AppImages however have the benefit that is not a package manager, is just a file you download and run.

tried snaps
every first launch took 20 seconds
don't use snaps anymore

appimage > flatpak > a pile of dog shit > snap

AppImage is the comfiest. Just download and run, no bullshit needed.

lmao
>Just download, make it executable and run!
~/Downloads> ./Subsurface-4.9.1-x86_64.AppImage
dlopen(): error loading libfuse.so.2

whoa, so this is the future

install fuse, faggot

Subsurface should've included fuse tbqh

github.com/littleweeb/Desktop/releases/download/v0.4.0_linux_develop/LittleWeeb-0.4.0.264.AppImage

You're welcome.

fuck off with your segfaulting weebo piece of shit

Now you are pretending, so you fuck off troll

Are you paid by Canonical or by RedHat?

I want to install docker with a snap because of the apparmor confining but it keep polluting my dmesg and aa-logprof is a piece of shit that doesn't catch half of the errors and manually writing the profile is a pain in the ass

flatpak install a lot of shit just a for a single program, like the entire kde runtime is necessary for retroarch wtf

appimages are cool when they work, I'd like more DE integration like the offer to create a launcher first time is launched

AppImage > Flatpak > Snap

>AppImage
useful for when I don't want to download a full .deb or install it from the apt repos. Don't see it that much though, the only thing I see it being used by is Etcher.
>Flatpak
Don't use this one but it seems like slightly better snaps made by Redhat
>Snap
Pieces of shit that get shilled everywhere on Ubuntu. They're slower than just downloading from the apt repos. I can't imagine being a new linux user trying out Ubuntu for the first time and having this shit thrown in your face constantly.

I like Appimage. It reminds me of how macOS apps works and is easier to use than the other alternatives.

>gnu package managers
But they also work on Linux/busybox

retard, this may not even use the host glibc fucking retard nigger.

shared libraries are cancer

appimage is better
I've used snap before, it isn't different from apt install. No benefit as far as user goes.

>systemdick
Dropped

appimage is garbage, not surprised retards here shill it

I didn't mind using snaps when I used ubuntu, but the programs took a while to start
I switched to Antergos which has AUR and yeah just compiling form AUR is way better