Is it possible to build a pc completely from scratch like everything you make the microchips and the mechanisms

is it possible to build a pc completely from scratch like everything you make the microchips and the mechanisms

Attached: Senku_Ishigami_Anime_Infobox.png (350x433, 291K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sam.zeloof.xyz/category/semiconductor/
megaprocessor.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=HyznrdDSSGM&list=PLowKtXNTBypGqImE405J2565dvjafglHU
nazr.in/17K3
monster6502.com/
youtube.com/user/paul80nd/videos?disable_polymer=1
youtu.be/lNa9bQRPMB8
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLowKtXNTBypGqImE405J2565dvjafglHU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Depends on how many trillions of dollars you have user. Please don't say less than one

Yeah bro just use silicon

No, but

A basic computer? Maybe, but even that is insanely hard. Something remotely approaching a modern one in performance? No.

Yes, you just have to figure it out.

by a 3d printer to make the mother board
and use tiny Needles to make the transistors
build the embeded firmware with javascript

Yes, if you're willing to spend billions of dollars on a facility capable of producing microchips. If you mean like, in your garage with shit from Home Depot, then no, and also you're stupid.

you could make a bootloader with a hex editor

no LIKE I FORGE in the forest for supplies and go from there caveman style

Depends on what you want to calculate. You can solve a lot of differential equations with just water. If you're talking about something Turing complete then good luck.

Yes, intel do it all the time, but of course if you just wanted to make one computer it would probably cost you around 200 million dollars in machinery alone, then theres all your research and materials you will need. In all I would say anyone with the knowledge could build themselves a nice computer setup for around 250 million dollars

You could do it by yourself from scratch if you gave up on making a microprocessor or microchip and just let that shit be huge.
Of course this means you'd end up with something that barely fits in an aircraft hangar and was about as powerful as a modern graphing calculator, but it could be done.

>Is it possible
absolutely
>Can you do it
no

You could make a silicone wafer and no you wouldn't need industrial equipment.
That's for mass production.
What you'd need is an environment that has no dust whatsoever.

What’s stopping you from have a garage fab to make shit akin to a Z80/6502?
The average hobbyist has the facilities to create PCBs just as advanced if not more advanced to what they had the the early 80s, it’s about time semiconductor fabrication becomes trivial enough for the hobbyist/hacker crowd

Give this a read if you haven't, but keep in mind he was still using used equipment from the industry.

sam.zeloof.xyz/category/semiconductor/

take the discrete logic pill user

You can 3d print a pcb board but not much else

>3d print a printed circuit board board

Pretty much
megaprocessor.com/

Attached: 1536324176608.jpg (1185x1515, 522K)

You can already emulate a DOS PC with an FPGA chip

mycpu.eu

>is it possible
yes

Just wire a bunch of transistors together

Attached: Transistor.jpg (640x640, 46K)

Can you not make transistors with certain kinds of metal oxides? Like MOSFETs?

You got 20 billion to start a chip foundry and assembly plant? You'll have to compete with the pseudo-slave labor in China.

Times change

He just wants to make 1 pc. He doesn't have to go into business and compete with anyone

the summer sun shines high

>dr. reddit

this is the best you can hope for after a decade of autism.
and yes i mean making everything from scratch.
youd get a ti-84 or something.

Attached: images (99).jpg (300x225, 21K)

Wow he's so cool he wrote E = MC squared on his clothew

It is but it'd take years to setup production for the most basic shit redundant, hell even getting a quartz clock working would be insanely hard... if you want to solve calculations you don't go microship in stone age enviroment you go mechanical because that's the only choice you got.

Heres your computer, it can store 10 quibits

Attached: Boulier1.jpg (409x307, 38K)

Not within one lifetime. You'd need an army of people who know exactly what they're doing. Generally you'd need to bootstrap precision manufacture first. Which requires metallurgy, which requires a whole bunch of things.

How else would we know that he understands science, fellow redditors?

It would take all your skill and effort just to make a manual computer.

Attached: ancient-computer-merl.jpg (1920x1080, 1.01M)

>is it possible to build a pc completely from scratch
afaik you don't put electrical seeds in the grounds and after 12 month you harvest from the cpu plant. They're made from scratch however the sheer knowledge/equipment necessary to even put a single and gate on a piece of silicon is beyond what a single person can do.
Tecnically yes but actually no, the best you can hope to get to "pc from scratch" is to put together discrete ICs but even then - due to physics - the best you can hope for is something running at a few kHz, maybe on the par of a casio fx570-ES

>The average hobbyist has the facilities to create PCBs
>compares PCBs to silicon fabrication
You cannot just smelt some sand and then spicy it up, too much impurities to make anything useful. Look up what is takes to prepare silicon in order to make it electronic-grade, but even once you got your slab of pure silicon what you do? Well you need to have it almost atomically flat in order to put smol planar transistor and there you cannot go any further, I'm sorry

you just need a lot of redstone

Big brain

> Build the embedded firmware with Javascript
Good punchline

eedded

This is the most reddit reply in a thread full of reddit replies.

Yea.

youtube.com/watch?v=HyznrdDSSGM&list=PLowKtXNTBypGqImE405J2565dvjafglHU

of course. it will be shit though
if you want to experiment with stuff i'd recommend looking at minecraft btw, i built a 8bit processor in it for fun

Yes, obviously it is.
The question doesn't even make sense, since there was a time without computers and now computers do exist it HAS to be the case that you can create a computer from scratch.

But for a single human it is basically near impossible, as even gathering the raw materials to create the tools, to create the tools to create the tools to fabricate a single transistor would probably take half his life.

If you have transistors and wiring, read a book on computer engineering and start building, it is not all that complicated.
With some dedication you could have a working computer in half a year.

>create the tools to fabricate a single transistor
how about vacuum tubes?

Try fabricating vacuum tubes with sticks and stones...

if you wish to build a pc from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

there was a guy who made a big 8bit processor and then made an x86 emulator to run linux on it

I still have a book with the entire schematics for the Motorola 6800 in a book I used in my 2nd year of digital electronics two and a half decades ago. You can use that to built a fully functional CPU from scratch.

possible? yeah
reasonable? nha.

here it is
nazr.in/17K3

Technically, yes. You can make one using water and bamboo. No need for a "micro' chip. Do you need extra space or something?

monster6502.com/

ben eater can show you something cooler with six months of amphetamines

why are you dumb niggers trying to make integrated circuits instead of a fucking 80s era microprocessor on a macro scale

most honorable comrade conrad zuse did it. you just need to approach this problem with different techniques than what is used now

you can make relays with loadstones you fucking inept mongoloid. i hate this board

because electronics scale very shittly upwards

God, that show is so fucking bad

From absolute scratch like in Dr. Stone no, it's too much for one person to handle.
If you mean from scratch with a bit of capital and just buy cables breadboards and shit then yes. It's not that hard to create some really shitty cpus. The most annoying part will be to make memory in any useful quantity.

Of course.

youtube.com/user/paul80nd/videos?disable_polymer=1

are you a giant corporation or a secret multibillionaire? if yes then sure if not no.

>do a 7nm process from scratch for a few bucks
That's not what OP asked

This anime is shit.
Hardmode: almost impossible
Easymode: sure why not

you have to build the tools to build the microchips.
before that, the tools to build the tools.
and before that the tools to build that tools.

and before that the tools to gather and process the raw materials and for the logistics and don't forget taking care of yourself

I enjoy Dr. Stone and don't understand why /v/ keeps trying to start flamewars over it.

>conrad zuse did it
Yes, with already EXISTING transistors.

He didn't built a computer "from scratch" he already had the most crucial parts.

If you want to build a pc completely from scratch you must first invent the universe

>you can make relays with loadstones
On the scale and consistency needed for a functioning computer?

There was a 12 year old english chap who did it a couple years back.

All from scratch!
Smart lad is probably a rocket scientist now.

youtu.be/lNa9bQRPMB8

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLowKtXNTBypGqImE405J2565dvjafglHU

You mean the negro?

You don't even know what completely from scratch means you dumb fuck.

Excuse me?
That's british to you pal.