Why does every third programmer work on "their own language"?

Why does every third programmer work on "their own language"?

Attached: DSC_0166.jpg (1536x2304, 1023K)

Same reason every other retard is working on his "side gig" or "startup": they're deluded enough to think their stupid idea hasn't been done 9001 times before and/or is actually practical or in demand.

The problem is nobody is willing or able to cockslap them i the face and call them out on their retardation, not that they'll listen anyways. We need to bring back penalties and consequences for failure.

making complex things that are often useless can teach you a lot
for example, learn assembler

1/3 are passionate
2/3 are brogrammer/pajeet

brogrammer/pajeet detected:

>We need to bring back penalties and consequences for failure.
No need - if your idea sucks, it'll fail.
Let people try and fail, it's better than not trying. Out of 1000 retards, one might have an actually good idea. This is how most progress is made.

Its your problem. let them do something dumb in their spare time, whats it matter to you? Like seriously just work your job go home and drink brain-lit

this

It's not just languages.
The current environment of employability in programming work means you have to make busywork for yourself and re-implement things that already exist just so you can have a body of work to show off to employers because a degree doesn't cut it anymore.
Why do you think there's so many fucking JS frameworks for webdev work?

What is fun?

Why, I asked my self this question and it has a very easy solution if you extrapolate the X to something more relatable to you, because you probably not a programmer.

Stage Noob: you know shit everything is new and a potential source of knowledge
Stage Poser: knows enough to pretend to know, still learning but some stop there
Stage aficionado: he does shit with his new adquiered knowledge but still unable to see the limitations or dysfunctions, he is easily manipulated into memes.
Stage Experienced: Everything starts to be a routine and you notice defects when ever the work flow breaks
Stage Expert: Fucking nothing works properly, everything could be made much better and faster, knows absolutely everything of the particular task he is ultra bored.

you start thinking on how to improve things pretty healry like at Aficionado lvl but it never goes further until you feel the pain of tools that don't work the way YOU like.

Attached: 1564115371934.jpg (940x1020, 200K)

It's fun messing around with writing and optimizing a compiler. It's also a good project to show you really understand what programming is. In general you can say you truly understand something if you can implement it. I use this all the time in my math and science classes where I'll implement an algorithm to solve problems and then I know I have a working understanding of those problems. Same thing with programming languages. If I can write a programming language and give it support for stuff like parallel programming, syntactic macros, AST modification at runtime, closures, asynchronous execution, continuations, type checking, etc. I can say that I truly understand, at least enough for a naive implementation, those concepts. And truly understanding those concepts make me a better programmer in every other language.

We don’t. There are hundreds of thousands of programmers and comparatively few develop their own languages. Sounds like you are experiencing a sampling bias either due to the effect of the vocal minority or hanging out with pretentious assholes

Python was a side-project.

>"Fun is a buzzword" happened over eight years ago
I would've sworn that shit happened yesterday. I wasn't in that screencap but I was in that thread. I don't know where the fucking time went.

Attached: 1562632493974.jpg (1080x1080, 224K)

Oh man, what benefit could such an endeavour possibly have? Some idiots even choose to write their own operating systems! Good lord how stupid can people be, lifting their fingers without getting paid. Profit is the only measure of human happiness and obtaining knowledge is only worth it if you're on company time (company dime amirite? hehe! xD)

language development (either compilers or dynamic virtual machines) is fun
it's a great learning experience and it stands out on a resume if you're a junior dev

>Was
Is

> doing and learning things on your own, even for no one's benefit but your own, is stupid

>programming languages just exist and update themselves not because programmers who have worked on their own languages and know what their doing work on them

back when /v/tards still spoke in coherent sentences