Finish high school

>finish high school
>enjoy computer games & being an introvert
>think I should probably major in CS or Math or something
>major in CompE & Applied Math
>sludge through nightmare degree packed to the brim with cheating gooks & gurpreets
>they all pass despite blatantly cheating, like literally turning in character for character exact same assignments while being piped through that anti-cheating tool from MIT
>finally finish grueling masochistic double degree, 75k deep in debt
>get shitload of job offers cause i actually gave a fuck during my degree & did non trivial projects and had a couple internships
>take firmware engineer job for 70k, 3k sign
>hmmm, money not as great as everyone said it would be, still decent
>1 year later into job, it's an absolute nightmare
>if you're a straight white man who is an actual proper engineer who can get shit done, you'll be working minimum 60 hour weeks
>"Hey user, thanks for writing that DSP firmware. Can you write a kernel module to talk to it real quick like? Also profile it to make sure it's stable and won't crash our system? Also, when that's done, could you write a JavaScript front-end to the C++ rest API you wrote last week? Yeah yeah, we know you studied transistor physics and not webdev shit, but do it anyway. All in a week. Good luck!"
>have to stay up to date on constantly changing technologies, even though my principle job is kernel module development even the fucking Linux kernel is developed at light speed these days
>have to know literally everything about Linux internals, modern C++, modern Python for rapid prototyping, web-dev for building REST APIs and responsive front-ends that hook into them, scalable web hosting and configuration, networking stuff from the brainlet level of HTTP all the way down to literal raw ethernel signals on an oscilloscope
>also have to be proficient in circuit design and debugging, reading schematics, operating oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers that cost more than my salary
>cont'd

Attached: AHHHHHHHHHHHH.png (840x854, 412K)

>oh also, write some VHDL & Verilog for some FPGAs and CPLDs we have, also do the PCB layout and don't you dare fuck up any pin layouts cause a board respin is expensive as fuck, no pressure
>also also, make everything uber generic so we can take anything you make and drop it into any of our products and have it just werk ™ cause we're too cheap to hire more capable engineers cause we know they won't stick around for all of our shit or will want an actual salary that doesn't chuff cum
>all for zero appreciation and no praise cause the shit I do is essential but mostly under-the-hood system style stuff
>meanwhile Gurpreet and Luo Zhang are in the Bay Area making twice what I am doing half the work cause muh racist nepotism
>on top of all the actual work you have to do as an engineer, you have to play retarded office politics with onionboy coworkers
>have to deal with techbros who have zero technical ability but are giga-charismatic so you have to work with them anyways, sometimes even under them
>have to deal with the techcucks who base their entire personality and self-worth on how """smart""" they are, and will butt into every conversation you have like an autist and make you really uncomfortable
>you have vacation time but taking time off is a complete taboo and people will literally forget you work there if you take a vacation longer than a week

software & tech in general as a career is an absolute fucking meme

Attached: eda hvat.jpg (734x729, 91K)

give me job nightmare stories if any of you faggots actually aren't NEETs

hikkiko neet for 3 years here, i don't eve know if it's real or not but after reading all of that, i'm now more scared to leave my room in an attempt to joining back to society, i'm not memeing, thanks.

Attached: mpv-shot0045.jpg (1920x1080, 231K)

100% real. granted, i have a bit of an anxiety problem & i've always have a blunt personality so I don't sugar coat things

you're just a pussy pushover. learn to say no

Don't worry neet-kun, not all jobs are that cancerous.

If you arent memeing just take your fucking projects/resume and leave dumbass. Its not your fault that your classmates arent pussy bitches like you

well, good luck with that i guess, it's nearly 6 in the morning here, i'm heading off to sleep. i hope i'll die in my sleep so i'll never get to experience even just the thought of experiencing that. oyasumi.

This. If OP is as good as he says he is, he should've quit and enjoyed watching whatever shitty startup burn to the ground while he's earning $100,000+.

i think you shold worry about leaving your room first before going outside
i believe in you, baby steps user!

op though is dumb for not quitting his job and looking for somewhere else where his work is more appreciated, speak up if you can't do something.

Try getting a job in a country without the protestant work ethic.

year later into job, it's an absolute nightmare
>>have to stay up to date on constantly changing technologies
>>have to know literally everything
>>>all for zero appreciation and no praise cause the shit I do is essential but mostly under-the-hood system style stuff
>>office politics with onionboy coworkers
>>techbros
>>techcucks
>>if you're a straight white man
K E K
E
K
lel, this is true for anyone mildly competent on the field. Precisely the reason I left to work on my own

>you'z just a pussy ass bitch my nigga ayyyy gibsmedats
neck yourselves asap, this is a white man's board

Attached: abigail.jpg (356x436, 17K)

if you let everybody walk all over you and sacrifice your sanity to meet unrealistic deadlines then people stop seeing them as unrealistic. learn to say no. missing deadlines is how management learns that they need to hire more people or look at evening out the workload

i

I'm a white male working in embedded systems and I "work" 40 hours a week and everyone loves me.

nobody was talking about handouts you fucking schizo, we just said he should quit his current job and find a better place to work.
go cut yourself

>the fucking Linux kernel is developed at light speed these days
We all know you use some ancient version

i am white you larping faggot, I also know how to earn myself a higher salary and not be a pushover neet posting on a Taiwanese catfishing forum

4.19 with some porting to 5.2

Are you the only "tech guy" in some startup or something? Try getting another job, you will be a total wreck if you continue like this

No, just an engineer stuck in the 20% of the 20/80 rule.

What's your process for learning/keeping up with things? I do basic SQL and Javascript shit for work but my scope of knowledge is pretty limited just to what I do on a regular basis at work, and that's strictly because I do it on a regular basis. If I had to do something outside of my current comfort zone I'd be fucked

I'd like to learn more and expand but one I don't even know where to start, and two I'm so emotionally drained after my shitty job that studying is the absolute hardest thing to bring myself to do

need to have a high IQ to learn shit quickly, there's really no way around it. IQ is a measure of how quickly you can learn things and be comfortable with patterns, hence the literal IQ tests under the guise of "algorithm questions" that west coast companies give out

Apply for other jobs with your new skills, when you get a job offer walk into your boss' office and demand a raise. If he says no, leave to new job.
Loyalty to shitty companies is for suckers. Learn to stick up for yourself.
This is a nightmare user, not the norm. There's tons of super comfy jobs out there.

How do I get into FPGAs?

If you are doing all this for 70k you are an absolute wage cuck, Man up and demand more pay I know cable installers that earn more than that.

buy a cheap SoC and go to town

just make a lateral move to another team in your organization every couple years. pay increase + do new things

Sounds legitimately awful, but if you're truly as competent as you make yourself out to be then surely you'd be able to find a different job or at the very least push for more money, though personally I'd have to be paid an absolutely obscene amount to deal with 60h weeks. Holy shit fuck that, I work for the money to live, not live to fucking work.

I don't have any horror stories to share, thankfully. I found myself a good job out the gate, 37.5h a week and a quiet, drama-free office.

The cardinal rule of the tech industry is that once you have a feel for how in demand you are, you should never commit more than a year of your life to a company that expects you to work 60 hour work weeks on the regular. Certainly not for 70 grand a year, doubly so if you seriously make that kind of pay in San Francisco. Companies that set ridiculous deadlines are trying to get as much work out of you as possible for as little pay as possible.

The key to being happy in the tech industry is to only take high demand jobs that actually pay high demand salaries and to otherwise only take jobs that don't demand you bleed for them. If a 60 hour work week is the norm and you're not being paid six figures, they don't have a work load problem, they have a staffing problem. And I get that your boss probably hates having to constantly hire people but it's a self made problem and it's his job.

This is also why your resume should never be more than a few months out of date, and why you should always be pushing out a job application or two a month. Not necessarily because you're looking for work but to see who bites. If you apply to Google or Amazon and they come back and throw money at you there's no good reason to stay in your wage slave job.

effortpost/10