How did we get to the point where new phones regularly cost $1,199...

How did we get to the point where new phones regularly cost $1,199? iPhone XS Max only costs $160 more to build than iPhone 6, but the retail price is $550 higher.

Attached: 5d5ab63acd978449a659df6e-1536-1152.jpg (1536x1152, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

technology.ihs.com/606680/iphone-xs-max-costs-apple-20-more-in-materials-than-last-years-smaller-iphone-x-ihs-markit-teardown-reveals
youtube.com/watch?v=yyMl7wjZmk4
youtube.com/watch?v=N6c6Vyf3RE8
rbt.asia/g/thread/71691025/#71697750
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

When poor people started to use them as a status symbol and stopped caring about anything but brand.

The Trump Tariff

My current phone costed me €80 brand new, Xperia XA2.
With LineageOS is blazing fast, secure and debotnetted.
So not sure why you're saying that new phones regularly cost $1,199.

How much do you think it costs to make an iPhone?

$390 for iPhone XS Max according to the market research firm IHS.

technology.ihs.com/606680/iphone-xs-max-costs-apple-20-more-in-materials-than-last-years-smaller-iphone-x-ihs-markit-teardown-reveals

>debotnetted
Acting like you're being sneaky and flying under the radar because you don't use Google is foolish. You are ALWAYS tracked, logged and watched.

Attached: 1560984060132.png (500x375, 335K)

This and also since smartphone sales are declining in order to keep showing muh grow you've to milk harder the ever fewer retards that buy a new phone each year.
This will all crash down eventually as manufacturers cannot stall smartphone to become a commodity forever

>blaming poor people for rich wigger shit

Nice meme reply.
He's done the best you can really on a modern smartphone. Nothing od the sort will ever be possible on iOS though.

The Apple community is finally conditioned to pay ANYTHING for an Apple branded product.

Can't wait for the year a phone will cost as much as a car

People are stupid enough to give out that much amount of money for a phone they'll most likely replace in 2-3 years.

Since phones are now purchased using loans instead of carrier subsidies, the consumer doesn't really think about the high price tag. So they view it as a low $50 monthly payment for 24 months instead of am expensive $1200 one-time cost.

One of the end-results of the subscription economy.

Attached: 1534900460095.jpg (538x538, 46K)

Wait, do you really believe that manufacturing costs is the only factor in pricing?

Remember, iPhones are the welfare cadillac of the 21st century. Most users are poorfags leasing them for a hugely inflated monthly fee because they could never actually scrape together the cost of one up front.

Attached: R-4816973-1524697657-1634.jpeg.jpg (600x610, 179K)

New Android phones don't cost that much.
New iPhones cost that because sales are falling. Volume sold is falling HARD, so to limit the amount of money lost, they're jacking up the price and positioning themselves as a "premium" brand.

Shrinking revenue makes investors quite unhappy.

Retards
Keep
Buying
Them
/thread

>tfw have to develop for iOS because iPhone users are the only ones dumb enough to pay money for apps and then pay even more for in-app purchases and subscriptions

I really feel bad for the idiots that do that. What is wrong with the majority of the world falling for actual debt cycles. Especially when you consider the utility of these devices for them are no different each release. They're enslaving themselves to constant debt for what is essentially a shell upgrade.
>ahh it's just like my last one except it's gold
>ahh it's just like my last one except it's got a notch
Idiots.

It reminds me of the savages putting feathers in their hair.
>ayy I got that new iPhone

You clearly haven't read the reviews. It's more than just a shell upgrade you moron.

You misinterpreted what was said and you call me a moron. Do you think any of the practical differences are noticed by those being spoken about? You think the masses buy it for any reason other than the fact that it's new and you have to have it or you're not part of some social sect. Get real. It's momentum and nothing more.

But you are a moron. If this thinking helps you go through another day as a poorfag then I'm happy for you. I'm saving my money for the next iPhone because maybe I'll upgrade, or not if it's "just a shell upgrade".

I'm guessing you're being ironic on purpose for the sake of being funny but it reads sincerely.
In the event you're being serious, you're obviously the exception. I don't know why you'd feel the need to get defensive about it unless you where doing the exact thing you're stating.
>If this thinking helps you go through another day as a poorfag

More succinctly
>calls others poorfags
>has to save for an iPhone.
I'm 21 btw.

Attached: file.png (274x42, 926)

>have to save up for a phone

Assuming you didn't just hit F12 and edit the webpage, being born to rich parents isn't exactly impressive.

You really are the perfect goy

What's the difference between the iPhone XR and the iPhone 10R?

Attached: 1465753268248.jpg (454x453, 74K)

Apple sold a phone for $999 and people bought it.

Now we have notches, thousand dollar phones and emptier than ever app stores. I honestly didn't think the smartphone industry would be worse now than it was 5 years ago.

One uses superiors Roman Numerals, the other use some sandnigger system to pleases oilkebabs.

people legitimately don't understand profit margins.

the fact that pricing has nothing to do with profit and everything to do with marketing nonwithstanding

my net worth is orders of magnitude less than yours and i can easily afford to buy an iphone xs right now if i wanted one

the real question is, why aren't you using a real smartphone for people with money? like a vertu? why are you signalling to people that you have the same financial situation as some mcdonalds manager who only has a few grand in savings?

Attached: vert.jpg (640x480, 24K)

You can buy a car for a thousand bucks. It'll be a shit one but you can still buy one

because now smartphones are the lowest common denominator consumer electronic

on the plus side, laptops are way less shit than they were 5, 10 years ago, for that same reason. i guess chromebooks are pretty bad but those are for school children

which is why people with iphones and no car are funny. but the people who buy a new iphone without the financial means to do so are the people that would never be caught dead in a 1998 corolla

>emptier than ever app stores
Why would anyone continue to develop apps when any successful app gets replicated by Apple and put into iOS by default then the entire category of app gets banned off the app store?

>being born to rich parents
Why jump to such a hasty conclusion? That's not the case at all, and the point isn't to impress.

You get it.
>why aren't you using a real smartphone for people with money
I think you mean this a different way than myself, but for me personally I interpret this as "a business smartphone", as in a phone made for business purposes.
I often use my phone on the train to tackle work tasks because it's capable of that in a way most others are lacking.
I don't care if people judge it, I purchased it for its utility, not as an ornament to demonstrate some rationale or status.

It reminds me of this
youtube.com/watch?v=yyMl7wjZmk4

Attached: file.png (740x416, 432K)

The normie consumer horde masses are willing to pay, same logic as how cars and university are over priced.

No, there are more abject poverty cases buy top tier phones on payment plans than there are rich wiggers buying them outright. Dipshit.

>Why jump to such a hasty conclusion?
I cannot come up with any way to amass $220k after being an adult for 2.5 years other than:
>substantial inheritance/gift
>lottery
>bonafide boy genius

The average poorfag owns an iPhone, that's why they're broke all the time.

>adulthood starts at 19
I've been working longer than that.

When I was in high school, I did not have time to be working a job.

I had multiple different jobs throughout my highschool years which afforded me experience and nepotistic opportunity over time. You have to remember that not everyone's situation is the same, you can't pigeonhole.

>nepotistic opportunity
Nice. What exactly do you do?

I managed to get mentorship from a lonely office lady who is a higher up at a company. Probably based on my personality alone or maybe she actually saw work ethic.

Attached: blouse business suit iiniku ushijima pantyhose skirt510ee539b2262291644ac7ff9414bb45.jpg (1200x1800, 269K)

A lonely office lady, eh?
Gettin paid and gettin laid.

More like getting paid and acting like a therapist during travel. Boss is not for sexual.

>like a vertu?
They went bankrupt

The 'budget' smartphone market is heating up
The Samsung A10 and A20 are pretty good for how cheap they are.

youtube.com/watch?v=N6c6Vyf3RE8

0/10

Reminder that XR costs $750 and only really compromises on screen and using aluminum instead of stainless steel.

XS and XS Max represent Apple's vision for the 'prefect' iPhone where as XR is the realistic phone that will actually keep the company alive.

then wtf why doesn't the iphone just cost 390? why would they charge more than it makes to make it? that's so fucking greedy

God I wish I could never make money as a software developer and that everything was always free for everyone

xs uses oled and has smaller bezels and 3d touch. xr has bigger bezels and uses lcd. xs also has a second lens on the back, is thinner and has a stainless steel body where xr is thicker, has one lens and an aluminum body.

that's literally it. everything else is the same.

I see nothing wrong with financing.
I have humble sum of money on my savings account but both my personal computer (a laptop) and my car which I bought used at 8 years old were financed (for the car I covered 50% up front and the rest from the bank).
Both times I got a 0% interest and in the case of both objects I could've easily covered the cost of them up front. I just didn't like the idea of spending 25%+ of my savings at once and it definitely helps my credit score since I plan to get a mortgage

>LineageOS
>secure
Out of anything that is improved over stock Android, security is the one thing that is massively worse in comparison .

Attached: 1560163199405.jpg (737x758, 74K)

If you have no interest and are managing it accordingly, I see no problem. But for me, I make it a point to never be in debt. I sacrifice up front, waiting until I can pay up front and still have a comfortable sum left in liquid.
I think this is more of a personal (discipline oriented) choice rather than practical choice on my part. But I see little practical difference in my own situation (I don't have a need for credit and don't want to allow myself into a situation where I'll need it).

this shit is so fucked, i just want a new cpu in an se

You probably can't buy a house with all cash.

will graphene os support something other than pixels in the future?

Phones are cancer that are taking advantage of people by being insanely overpriced and privacy-raping piles of shit.
Ban them.

Who the fuck knows... Probably it won't even exist in a few years.

You can buy anything with all cash.

Attached: ___ 2 ___.jpg (600x300, 24K)

Retard

you have no argument. you're only calling me a retard because you can't think of a single reason a product shouldn't cost as much as it cost to make.

Fuck off and be poor somewhere else

Geez, good thing humans don't need food, water, a place to live, and can make phones instantaneously, nor do machines need electricity to work.

what the fuck are you even talking about?
if the materials in the phone cost 300$ dollars, why should the PHONE ITSELF cost more than that?

You are so dumb I don't even know where to start

>still no. fucking. argument.
calling people stupid isn't an argument you dumb faggot
you're literally defending corporate greed right now and I'M the stupid one? fuck you

Okay, imagine a man who makes shoes for a living. He buys the materials for 10$, and in 5 days he makes one shoe, dedicating 40 hours of his live to make said shoe. He, as the enlightened individual he is proceeds to sell it for the same price of the materials, 10$. He takes the money and has two options:
1) He needs food, water, shelter, and to pay taxes, so he can use the 10$ to pay for all of those and survive; or
2) He buys the material for making another shoe and dies from hunger.
Consider you are this man, what would you choose, you fucking dumb nigger?

this is so stupid, all you have to do is sell the shoes for the same $10 you spent making them. that way you can get all your money back and spend it on shit you need, then make more shoes.

>€80 brand new
Are you stupid enough to not understand what carrier subsidies are? And if you are then fuck you because I got my iPhone XR for free then.

>get all your money back and spend it on shit you need
Okay.
>then make more shoes
How if you need 10$ to make another one, but you have less than the necessary 10$ since you spent some of it before "on shit you need"? Genuinely interested in your retardation.

literally HOW do you end up with less than 10$? spend the money, make it back, loop forever. anything else is excess and should be illegal because technically it is a scam.
it shouldn't be this hard for you to comprehend you fucking baindead moron.

Alright, Mr. Security Expert. On iOS, how does Apple track you? What data is it sharing with third parties like Google does?

It's like asking why expensive beds are a thing. It's one of the devices you use the most so people are willing to pay for a good one.

I blame Trump and his tariffs. Apple uses a lot of aluminum in their product designs, and now aluminum costs 10% more to import thanks to Trump. Since Apple is a relatively high-end company, they'd rather be hit by the 10% tariff than make their phones out of plastic to avoid the tariff. They pass the price of the tariffs on to you, the consumer. As a result of the tariff, a $900 import would now cost $990, which can be rounded up to $1,000.

Just about every economist and businessman knows hoe horrible Trump's tariffs are for the economy.

Street shit harder iJeet.

Attached: 1558990761533.png (1099x885, 269K)

Install LittleSnitch

Go back to kindergarten. Holy fuck.

That's Apple Music you retarded falseflagging pajeet. You can be an iOS user and not use Apple Music, or use Apple Music without having an iOS device.

do itoddlers always do this much mental gymnastics to defend their master, or is it a skill you build up? because i honestly can't see it.

nigger

Poor people only care about monthly payments, they dont care if they have to get a 5 year loan to pay for a damn phone

I really hate and despise Apple, but I'd buy and use only iPhones and iMacs for the rest of my life if it'd meant I could punch you on the face till you died you fucking dumb faggot nigger.

>i hate apple but i think they deserve more money than they spend and also i hate you so much for not liking apple making gross amounts of money i want to punch you and also i want to use only iToddler garbage for the rest of my life
>b-but i hate apple though, i'm totally not a shill, please believe me

Thank God moot didn't care for the site and allowed all those redditors to permanently kill Jow Forums.

Dumbass. These phones cost $1000 because people are stupid enough to pay $1000 for a phone now. iPhone X was the final proof of that.

My phone just cost me 80€ last weekend.
Do you really need +100€ phones?

>iPhone XS Max only costs $160 more to build than iPhone 6, but the retail price is $550 higher.
Sauce?

How did we get to the point where one of those 2k phones will not even be able to run the OS they release in 5 years so you have to buy another one? Software bloat is out of control. We should put a ban on manufacturing new hardware and just make everyone optimize their fucking code.

>How did we get to the point where new phones regularly cost $1,199?
>how does INFLATION work guys?

Because people are willing to pay that price. If everyone decided nah, fuck that, I'm not dropping 1k on a phone, they'd have no choice but to provide it a reasonable cost. But few people are willing to step out of the consumerist game.

Stop kvetching, just buy one

On the other hand you can now buy Android phones with decent processors, displays, batteries and cameras for 200 bucks. You gotta be mentally disabled to pay 600 bucks or more for a fucking phone.

>Alright, Mr. Security Expert. On iOS, how does Apple track you?
Be my guest.
rbt.asia/g/thread/71691025/#71697750
>What data is it sharing with third parties like Google does?
What data would be shared with Google if you don't have Play Services and a Google account?

>LineageOS
>secure
You're getting nightly and weekly updates, as well as snapshots. If you're running Lineage OS, you're getting security patches as soon as Pixels get them.
>Out of anything that is improved over stock Android, security is the one thing that is massively worse in comparison .
How? I mean, you can also verify what got patched because there are patch notes and everything is open source. In the case of iOS, you can only take Apple's word for it. And I think we all know how multi billion dollar companies have the best interest of their customers in mind...