Good gaming laptop on a budget

Hey guys, I just recently got into PC gaming and would like to get into streaming my games on twitch, but with my current setup, everything is pretty slow and not ideal. I've had my macbook since 2014, and it's been alright for what I primarily use it for. The other day, I decided to run windows on it and installed Fallout: New Vegas. I can stream and everything runs fine, but I'd like to upgrade to a gaming laptop that I can run games smoothly on and stream at the same time.

What are some good laptops I should consider getting? What specs should I look for when making my decision? I don't know much about PC gaming and don't want to sink a whole lot of money into this.

Attached: Acer Nitro 5.jpg (2748x1634, 310K)

Cheapest that still works wold be something with a 970m perfect for 1080p wold be a1060

G7
/thread

2018 Macbook Air with eGPU

>I don't know much about PC gaming and don't want to sink a whole lot of money into this.
Then stay away from gaming laptops. Buy these following parts from your nearest microcenter and have someone assemble them for you.
B450M motherboard
AMD R5 3600 CPU
2x8GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM
500W PSU
Micro ATX case (mini tower)
240GB m.2 sata SSD
Rx 570 GPU

Should all cost around $600. Motherboard + CPU alone are just $200 if you buy them bundled together. All in all about 3-4X faster than a gaymen laptop of similar price

Attached: Screenshot_20190821-164500.png (720x1280, 256K)

>hey guys tell me about X
>fuck you and fuck X, I'll tell you about Y instead

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ACER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THE COMPUTER FOCUSES ALL OF THE HEAT ON THE WASD KEYS GIVING YOU 3RD DEGREE BURNS TO TRY AND STOP YOU FROM PLAYING STUTTERING SHIT FEST GAMES DO NOT BUY ACER DO NOT BUY ACER!!

t. helios 300 user and ((you)) from the future

He's right tho. Streaming on some pos plastic gaming laptop? Sounds great lmao

why do x when x is shittier in every way then y

I dont like gaming laptops either but OP very likely asked about them for a reason.
Not to mention you will not find a 3600 + motherboard fot $200

>gaming laptop

>Good gaming laptop
lol
>on a budget
lel
>streaming my games on twitch
kek
>macbook
topkek

Attached: ohsatania.gif (720x404, 1.49M)

My bad, meant to say 2700. They both have the same multi-core performance which us what matters in this case.

>500w psu
Won't even power the graphics card

Rx 570 is 120W TDP and most 500W PSU allow for 80% power to be used for the 12V rail.

Maxwell cards like the 970m and 980m are probably on their last legs as far as usability is concerned. They're considerably gimped in comparison to both their full-sized equivalents and subsequent Pascal cards thanks to Nvidia pulling magic out of their leather jacket covered ass in terms of efficiency for the latter. A 980m is about on the same level as a 1050 Ti, at least under Linux, despite having double the RAM and Cuda cores. If you can get a laptop for cheap, like under $500, it's not that bad of a buy, but I personally wouldn't jump through hoops to do it again.

I'm looking at my local-ish Micro Center's prices and you'd barely scrape out at $215 with a cheap-ass combo. Not dissing it entirely, but still.

The Acer Nitro 5 isn't a horrible buy as far as gaymen laptops go, but I personally couldn't stand the gimmicky plastic look and feel of it.

A varient of this I guess, check reviews for gaming performance

Attached: Screenshot_20190822-025943.png (1080x2246, 685K)

OP here. thanks for the help man. I'll stay away from a laptop, I just thought it'd be great to take my gaming stuff on the go.

Are you going to be OC for 5% gains and using 4000 MHz RAM? If not cheap B450 motherboard is actually more than enough.

As for the cheapass gaymen laptop under $1,000 go:
1.) They have cheap motherboards and horrible power delivery.
2.) They have the BARE MINIMUM cooling meant for web browsing and netflix.

Combine these 2 problems and you're guaranteed to lose 50% or more performance after a few minutes and get constant frame stuttering. Now throw in streaming and you get even more overheating and even more throttling. Point is unless you get a thick clunky 10KG $1,000+ gaymen laptop you're gonna have a bad time and no matter what a custom desktop pc will always outperform it in the same price range.

Dear Sir, 5 rupees have been added to your Asus wallet

It isn't. You either lose over 50% performance when on battery AND get at most 2 hours of gaming time OR you have to glued to the wall charger 24/7.

t. owned a msi one with an i7 and gtx 1050

user, at least contribute by telling if it's a good or bad laptop, I posted it cause I am considering buying it

Referring back to the original list, I personally would prefer RAM that was faster than the bare minimum and an actual SSD in terms of capacity, but you're right on most of your points. I mostly just use modded workstation laptops that actually have real heatsinks, so I'm honestly rarely have problems with overheating unless I'm running locked on boost clocks for extended periods of time. Then again, my laptops are also aluminum bricks that can double as a riot shield, so you have a point.

is there even a decent gaming laptop and not a fucking hot and loud mess?

>no ssd
>probably shit tier screen
>gayming laptop build "quality"
Probably not a great idea

A high end MSI one from a few years ago.
Older higher end models are always a better buy and cheaper than modern lower end,

Yes, but those only run good games.

like farmville and baldur's gate 2?

Doom and touhou

is alienware good?

no

OP here. Just spoke with a friend of mine, he recommended I get this. I have another friend who’s willing to sell me his monitor for a decent price. I’ll try to answer any questions, but what do you guys think? The price tag is $741. Thanks for all you guys’ help.

Attached: 052E3711-3401-4A75-92BC-8D0CBAE25CB6.jpg (529x888, 229K)

>good
>gaming laptop
>cheap
pick a maximum of two

Gaming laptops are expensive, they generate heat out the ass due to being forced into a tiny space, and are very expensive.

You're better off getting a cheap laptop and a decent desktop for gaming. You can get a fairly decent laptop for gaming, but it's going to be hot, loud, and expensive.

>not even an SSD
>i5
Build an AMD ryzen rig yourself. Not very hard to do, and will be upgrade-able, unlike that HP

aren't desktops loud too?

Not if you use proper coolers

Do you know where I could get the parts for cheap?

Here's the thread for you

>amd
meh, it doesn't support cuda programming

like which ones?

Pretty much anything big and recomended. Which is any cooler that isn't the one bundled with the CPU

Be 100% honest with yourself: are you really going to use it that much when an 8-core AMD processor user recommended has the same FP64/FP32 as gtx 1080?

Attached: Screenshot_20190720011802_Firefox.jpg (1080x1423, 460K)

Not everyone can stay in their basement 24/7.
As for me I have to move everyday from place to place.

i want to do some of my own cuda coding, and amd only supports open cl
you can't get around that

I got the 17 / 1060 version of this last year for £1000

Only downsides are it's kind of big, the display looks a bit washed out, and the trackpad is shit

I normally use it between friends places for couch multiplayer and have it docked at home so none of these bother me.

How about MSI?
They have GF63 series which have great specs and easy to upgrade the components.
These laptops are only 1.86kg to boost.

and you need to game everywhere you go? then spend a billion dollars on a RGB infested gayming laptop

the rest of us don't have to play games with a touchpad in an airport

No but I prefer the specs over shitty RGB gimmicks.
And I usually play my PS2 game on emulator or watching animu with filter while in cafe in my freetime so i need strong spec too. Shitty laptop just dont cut it.

In my work time, I used a lot of exhaustive algo so I prefer something that can handle them well and also have the mobility, so after the loop is complete I can put it into sleep and go to my boss office asap.
Ideally speaking, this can be done with shitty laptop and powerful PC over remote but I dont like that expensive idea.

Right but what I'm saying is why bang rocks together when you can just create efficient code for 8-16 CPU threads?

Do you honestly think you're 1337 enough to squeeze out more than 50% of the FP32/64 out of thousands of cuda cores? I'm just saying making efficient code for CUDA is hard AF, doesn't seem worth the effort desu.

>want a gaming laptop
>get told to build a PC
>NEED A LAPTOP
>fUcK yOu BUiLd A pC!!!11

every. single. time.

if you want a decent laptop with GPU power that doesn't look like ass:
DELL XPS15 9570. has an i5/gtx 1050.

>Maximum: 55.7 °C = 132 F
lol, good luck with that

ok guess its desktop time

Why would you get a Air with a dual core when you can get the entry level pro for not that much more with 4 cores

Gaming laptops are a meme. You've been given good advice. A rarity around here.

Isn't here any reasonably powerful laptop that doesn't look like a toy, doesn't heat to a hundred degress because muh thinn design and doesn't cost more than $1200? I looked at some asus, like tuf series cause unlike their others they don't look that retarded but it seems they have shit ventilation. I just want something with 7th gen i5+ and a gtx1060 or better, the 1660ti looks like a good mobile card. Should I get a Dell g5?

they're only a meme if you use them for gaming
but I don't expect you to know that considering you don't go outside
the furthest you've probably been away from your desktop is when you leave your basement to go pickup a package at your front door

>only a meme if you use them for gaming
>run intense processor and gpu using program
>battery dies in 20 minutes
>have to plug it in
>stuck next to a wall outlet
>could have had a desktop and also be stuck to a wall outlet

Of course with such power you shouldn't expect battery life when you actually utilize it to render video and shit. They are just mobile workstations, battery is basically a ups for those laptops.

i have acer nitro 5 and its pretty good

I have an acer nitro 5 and its pretty good after the mandatory undervolt/repaste.
srly, do it

Get NUC Skull/hades and a razor Core.

Attached: 1566125647052.jpg (600x800, 44K)

alright pussies, OP is a big faggot who doesn't know shit. I need a gaming laptop I'm grabbing at them only because I want to step into a 2060 or a 2070 to work AI shit on the go. How is the alienware m15 (or the r2) compared to the GS65 or the newer Zephyrus? Also saw the P65 from msi and looks great except the 4k, which I think is a meme at that 15.6 size.
>also fuck HP and fuck Acer

>A 980m is about on the same level as a 1050 Ti, at least under Linux,

>gaming on linux
>at all
>but especially, on a laptop
ishyddt