Post Linux software that windows has not good alternative to

Post Linux software that windows has not good alternative to.

Attached: 14165.jpg (493x335, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mpv.io/installation/
itsfoss.com/windows-linux-kernel-wsl-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Linux
GNU/Linux

doesnt exist

Attached: b-238aa114020-vormax-uhet-elongated-toilet-2.jpg (2000x2000, 1.61M)

Windows does have GNU Linux though.

compgen -ac

Nah, it has a reverse WINE.

GNU coreutils

Any good window manager

You can run them with cygwin

vrms

Any good linux software would just end up geting ported to windows because is's open-source

That's not a good windows alternative, that's literally emulating Linux because no alternative exists.

Yeah, but not natively. You can also run a lot of good Windows-only software via Wine, but that's a workaround and not an alternative.

Any reasonably good terminal.

Packagemanagers, terminal goods and de/wm are propably the only software, because everything else will get ported

>package managers
chocolatey
>terminal goods
powershell
>de/wm
Yeah I admit Windows lack these.

fish shell ; bash ; zsh

clustat
htop (no, task manager is not good)
pacman

mpv

Other than coreutils and other miscellaneous terminal tools, there isn't anything to mention. Windows has everything you'd need in a computing environment.

chocolatey isnt even as good as the most shit linux package manager. op was no good alternative

systemd

>arch redditors already suggesting pacman and systemd

Attached: 1566157164026.png (1076x1105, 3.02M)

Packet managers just make more trouble because software developers now do not have to pack in dependencies.

What's wrong with chocolatey?

any DE

Windows has mpv though
mpv.io/installation/

Parted

Source code

kvm

deez nuts

i3
ranger
cmus
newsboat
mutt

luke is it you?

Okular
Dolphin

SystemD

Based

>Powershell
Windows command line sucks ass compared to Linux. OP said no good alternative.

That God

I used chocolatey. Maybe its good for business. But as a private person it's shitty as the repo is small and constantly having issues. And the software breaks as easily with windows.

not that user, but I always wondered how chocolatey works on windows?
can it install every software and windows update?
can it uninstall too?
like, i.e. use chocolatey to uninstall cortana or xbox stuff?
these are very basic features of any linux package manager, there are much more advanced stuff
mind you, OP said "good alternatives"
>powershell
haha, no. it's ms desperate attempt to attract sysadmins/devs to windows, powershell, in fact, it is so shit (compared to linux terminal tools), that ms are porting whole linux distributions under windows (windows subsystem for linux).

Gparted.

None, because you can just compile everything from gnu/linux.

Docker.

GNU/Linux itself. Windows is trash and isn't worth using.

I find that I like the scanner software on Linux more compared to windows. Skanlite and simple scan (which is nicer if you want to batch scan and crop multiple images). I hate the interface of windows fax and scan.

And weirdly I can scan at a higher dpi with my scanner on Linux. On windows the dpi maxes at 600dpi but with Linux I can scan up to the advertised 4800 dpi. I usually don't need more than 300dpi though

Attached: main-window.png (809x443, 24K)

linux software is so bad no one even makes attempts to preserver it. once it goes down the particular version of a program is lost forever.

the reason linux users love rapid updates like arch is because their software is shit and they keep hoping updates fix things when in reality they just add bugs.

The Microsoft shilling is insane today. When is Jow Forums going to block Microsoft-owned IP addresses?

range banning India should do the trick

windows server stack is inherent inferior to linux server stack

prob one of his gnu/disciples.

Spectacle seems better than snippet. The only downside is that it doesn't automatically copy screenshots to the clipboard, but that doesn't matter because there's no pasting them into Paint on Linux.

luke it's been like a month upload, ur gnu/disciples need u to recommend more based terminal programs

users that are competent

lxc

Shells
Desktop environments
Window managers
Display servers
Package managers
Anything related to file systems
Init
Disk encryption
SELinux
Iptables/nftables
Old windows software that run better on WINE
Native Unix tools
Ranger/nnn
Emacs working properly
Next browser

And most importantly:
Good manuals/documentation
Overall security
Users who aren't completely clueless

Big windows cmd updates are coming pretty soon

Attached: 😂👌.png (684x530, 287K)

>software developers now do not have to pack in dependencies
This is a good thing, both for developers and for end users.

Nigga try updating your system through chocolatey. Your kernel, your shell, your ssl lib. It's cute for your "apps xD" but that's it.

ls

PowerShell is good.

An operating system that doesn't spy on you.

I'm so glad women are coding >.

pipe

aircrack-ng

i dont know what windows has so couldn't tell you

Attached: 56768789.png (645x773, 43K)

Virt-manager
GCC
BTRFS
A file manager on par with Dolphin that's not spyware
Cryptsetup

that's the exact same program, not alternative

name a server product that runs better on windows

Attached: 1495437987463.jpg (728x1010, 131K)

but if it's on windows then it's not linux software anymore

If you consider drivers a software here, setting up two finger scroll is a lot less wonky on Linux than it was windows.

feh

>I usually don't need more than 300dpi though

See? Botnet knows.

It's absolutely not the job of a package manager to update your kernel, your shell, and your libs because those are not packages in the general case, or at least not user apps. It's system files so let the system handle it.

>every software
>uninstall
Yes, if you can find the program in the repo, you can install or delete it.
>it is so shit
It's built on top of .net, you can write both faster (python is slow and bash is a joke), and more correct, object-oriented code in it. Powershell can fetch and remove updates easily.
They only included WSL so retards shut the fuck up.

native git (not cygwin shit)
tty's
root
arbitrary directory mounting
good full disk encryption
any good firewalls
sane network interface names
a good kernel
btrfs, ext

>tty
command prompt and powershell
>root
admin mode
>encryption
bitlocker\s great, veracrypt
>a good kernel
NT supports more drivers than linux. How's your nvidia?
>btrfs, ext
mostly memes, NTFS is a journaling filesystem

itsfoss.com/windows-linux-kernel-wsl-2/

> updating your system is not the responsibility of the package manager
I think you have proven you're not able to have this discussion lol. Have you ever used a Linux distro?

>command prompt and powershell
They are both shit, and you can't get a direct TTY without a GUI without some hackish workaround
>admin mode
the Administrator account does not have nearly as much power as you think, the equivalent of root for windows is "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" which isn't accessible to a user unless you exploit some unintended bug
>bitlocker\s great, veracrypt
Actually yeah windows has veracrypt, I concede on this one
>NT supports more drivers than linux. How's your nvidia?
Not true, NT supports more drivers for consumer products, but saying it has more drivers overall is just lying, Linux drivers in a genkernel build of the kernel will support more hardware than NT, and kernel modules are very modular. My NVIDIA card works great btw
>mostly memes, NTFS is a journaling filesystem
NTFS is trash because it can't quickly handle operations on large amounts of small files without significant slowdown when compared to ext and btrfs.

>i love obfuscated userspace which relies upon unauditable binaries
>i love the registry
>i love my fellow pajeets
>i love CEO Nadella for sending European monies to superior India. we are only poor due to loo situation. we are best programmers.

All of my shell scripts.

the correct term is ported

dwm
Coreutils
Bash
Pacman
Surf
Newsboat
Kakoune

This thread is a cheap ripoff of a recent and vastly superior Windows-based thread.
Where have I seen freetards do this before?

JPEGView is pretty close though

>without a GUI
Windows is not a text-based OS. You have access to a perfectly usable terminal at a combination of keys.
>isn't accessible
That's okay those are system files that no user or admin is competent enough to modify. This is why you can't sudo rm -rf /
>consumer products
You are a consumer. I am a consumer. Nobody here has some special snowflake mainframe with elaborate interconnects.
>works great
How's your nvidia control panel? Oh.
>significant slowdown
Used NTFS in the past 5 years?
>unauditable
If you're a competent and certified auditer, or a large corporation/government, you can request source code to Windows and other programs. Paranoia.
>registry
It works, nothing wrong with it. Better than loosely scattered and randomly named config files.
>best programmers
MS programmers work with 30 year old code written by generations of programmers and actually give warranties for their product unlike linux. Yes, they're some of the best.

This scares the boomer

Zathura

Can it open crazy big files without shitting itself?

>htop
>pacman
>Parted
cmus

All these. And I'd also like to add ungoogled chromium since it is basically not maintained on Windows.

non-spyware versions of kernel, desktop environment, file manager, and basically every other application you use daily

C++ libraries that use a standardized ABI
fucking microsoft
Is offering an itanium version of the stl binaries really that hard?
nobody wants your garbage

not a Linux, there no alternative to FreeBSD ipfw as borderline firewall.

all who say "if it in Linux you can compile for Win" isn't true as you need driver signing.

Wine

cygwin

That's not wine you fucktard windows needs wine so backwards compatibility doesn't suck so hard

A decent emacs. Emacs works on windows, but there are many packages that needs tweaking, while the GNU system has a flawless emacs experience.
also, lutris. Gotta manage my DOS roms.
your next line is: "linux is repository slavery"
i need some cash, sir. tell me how to contact your boss in order to be paid for shilling as well

>tfw window apps work better on linux than windows

*legacy win32 executable binaries
apps are universal windows platform (definitely not dead) applications, silly

Zathura has no problem openning 2500 pages Unicode reference file. Do you need bigger?