I want to learn awk. Any recommendation on online resources?

I want to learn awk. Any recommendation on online resources?

Attached: 1566199506097.png (1062x942, 301K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/gawk/
rexegg.com/
ia802309.us.archive.org/25/items/pdfy-MgN0H1joIoDVoIC7/The_AWK_Programming_Language.pdf
grymoire.com/Unix/Awk.html
digitalcardboard.com/blog/2009/08/25/the-sox-of-silence/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

man awk

awk --help

@72442856
go away, redditor

gnu.org/software/gawk/

I mean, I learnt regex on rexegg.com/ . Anything similar for awk?

just read the man page bro :DDDD they are perfect bro :DDDD
fuck the linux community and the shitty docs

read "The AWK Programming Language"

The man pages are as good of a documentation as any college textbook in their field. They cover everything you need to know about awk
If you need everything spoonfed to you in the form a little cute tutorial with fun and games that's your problem not the manual's. Have fun being a brainlet that can't read a couple pages

ia802309.us.archive.org/25/items/pdfy-MgN0H1joIoDVoIC7/The_AWK_Programming_Language.pdf

you will realise that they are shit when you read the BSD's docs. also awk might have good docs but there's shit out there that is made to be obscure for no reason

t.linux user btw

gay

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 9.15.37 AM.png (568x142, 28K)

what scuffed version of awk are you using? The gnu awk or gawk is the best one out there.

Attached: 2019-08-23-17:20:39-1349x711.png (1349x711, 595K)

This. It's superb. For many purposes the first chapter is enough.
The rest is there if you want to dive deeper, which is very much recommended. You will learn a lot, not just about AWK.

info is usually better as a learning resource for all the GNU stuff. It's just that one bothers to learn navigating it.

>calls user a redditor
>doesn't know how to use Jow Forums

awk is so horrible but so good at the same time, its a love hate relationship. like if you build an awesome data parsing script using awk you're like YEAH THIS IS THE SHIT RIGHT HERE. but you go back to the script to make some small changes and look at the awk code and then you're all like: WTF IS THIS GARBAGE EW

info awk

@72443904
>being that GNU

I've never used awk and I'm reading about it on the wiki. Why would I use it instead of + regex?

info gawk

>trying to stigmatize reading the manual
>when you want to get spoonfed by someone who actually did read the manual

based

How to pronounce awk?

>made to be obscure for no reason
Example?

t. 110iq

Because you can use it in conjuncture with bash and any other Linux command/util. You wouldn't use it by itself for anything, unless you're just memeing.

Don't.
Learn Perl's CLI options. Perl can do everything AWK can do, is installed everywhere AWK is, can be used as a powerful scripting language and can do text manipulation you couldn't even imagine with AWK.

this shit right here
grymoire.com/Unix/Awk.html

bspwm

That's the maintainers job to make good documentation. If your software isn't properly documented then no one will know how to use it.
BSD's coreutils isn't that much different that GNU's. GNU coreutils have some useful arguments that BSD doesn't

the documentation of sox is absolute garbage
Try making sense of the silence filter, I challenge you
digitalcardboard.com/blog/2009/08/25/the-sox-of-silence/

info -k gawk

>online

Google 'library genesis wikipedia'
Find the latest domain they're using that's not banned.

Get "The Unix Programming Environment" by Pike and Kernighan from the 1980s.
Really excellent intro to AWK.
Make some AWk stuff.

Then get the AWK book, but use it sparingly, you really only want AWK for certain things like manipulating a stream of data