/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric or VR games: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

user actually builds a PC

Attached: 1519487450814.png (2000x2000, 205K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=133&sort=formfactor&page=1
pcpartpicker.com/product/rnGxFT/cooler-master-masterbox-q300l-microatx-mini-tower-case-mcb-q300l-kann-s00
pcpartpicker.com/list/cKPsbX
pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=formfactor&xcx=0&c=129
pcpartpicker.com/list/jJD2KB
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How fucked am I if I start building with a mATX motherboard and case? Am I gonna be unable to upgrade/change it much in the future?

>Graphics card prices are excessive, therefore consumers should forgo high end graphics card purchases
What if I have plenty of money and want a fucking graphics card?

>Am I gonna be unable to upgrade/change it much in the future?
That's a silly question. Of course you can

theres micro atx boards with 4 pcie slots, it depends on your case

mATX is a dead form factor. They just don't sell compared to fullsize and ITX so manufacturers don't want to make the boards.
Not gonna tell you what to do but enabling bad behavior only leads to more of it.

how do I build the ultimate windows 7 build today? am I fucked or can I just use an older gucci graphics card?

Then you bend over and shell out your money, dumb shit

Buy whatever

Attached: RGV-Antec_TE_3_4e5ebed6-2d46-4e1f-adc9-f87ea3bc56d7.jpg (1280x1024, 79K)

>tfw no $500 case that looks like some kind of laser turret

Attached: gallery-torque-18.jpg (500x500, 26K)

Seriously though, how long could I expect an i7 9700k to last?

More about the platform than graphics card

Put an ad on Craigslist
"Looking for old junk pc parts $$$"

Would it be stupid to get a 2600 over a 3600 right now? Micro center has a deal where I can get a 2600 and b450 tomahawk for $200.

Attached: 1565882574885m.jpg (1024x1016, 71K)

Fuck me in the ass, for the first time in my life I have seen a sale before my eyes but evreything was gone already, X370 GT7 for 80 bucks, plz end me. How can I be aware of those sale, I do already have no life and waste my days but I can t be fuckin refreshing every page.... .

>mATX is a dead form factor. manufacturers don't want to make the boards.
False. There are more mATX than ATX on this page
pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=133&sort=formfactor&page=1

depends on dat heat and voltage

whats the newest card gucci that still supported it?

those are probably all AMD then...

pcpartpicker.com/product/rnGxFT/cooler-master-masterbox-q300l-microatx-mini-tower-case-mcb-q300l-kann-s00

I was looking at a Cooler Master q300l.

Thank you, sorry for the stupid question. I'm just nervous about my first time.

Attached: shit_fuck_bitch_dammit.gif (400x493, 1.8M)

Just set up your filters on PCpartpicker, bookmark the page, and refresh once a day. I did that and picked up a 2060 for $280

Is it worth upgrading from a 2060 to a 2070s? Its a 25 - 30% boost right?

>dead form factor on dead platforms
>literally only one option remaining on X570
I rest my case.

pcpartpicker.com/list/cKPsbX
posting again to get more advice, anything I should consider?

well if you plan on using 2 3, or 4 PCIe slots then go ahead just make sure you can find a decent board with that, but they dont make a whole lot of them with 4 slots

>X570
arent those like fucking $200 with shitty propietary fans all over them and those hot ass PCi 4? thats a bad idea for a small mid tower

pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=formfactor&xcx=0&c=129
Again, more mATX than ATX
I rest my case

Don't know what to pick. Tomahawk max with 3700x or 9700k with gigabyte gaming x. The latter would be 70 euro more, which isn't that bad. I hear intel is better for older games though and since I want to play them at 4k I need every frame as to not go down 60 fps and be a fluid gayman experience. Considering the new intel generation has a new socket I'd need a new motherboard all together and I don't want to change the pc for at least 5 years. But the same could be with the b450 too since there will be the b550 next year I hear, so those b460 won't be getting bios updates for newer chips too maybe.

I'd preferably like advice on the power supply, case and motherboard

Just slipstream drivers into the win7 image. Especially usb since modern platforms don't use ehci for usb anymore and an ordinary win7 image won't know what to do. Outside of that it still works despite not being officially supported.
The fans don't spin at all unless you manage to cook the board, which would actually be even harder to do in a smaller case where the airflow would be more direct.
>even deadder platform
Gud jerb.

but doesnt pcie 4 run extra hot?

>Just slipstream drivers into the win7 image
okay, so I can use a new gucci board with built in lightning and all that, but what about graphics cards? what was the gucciest windows 7 native card? is it too old for pci 3.0?

The chiplet that amd opted to use for pcie4 is hot garbage.
Pcie2/3 chipsets that were supplied by asmedia ran fine.

Depends on your budget. 3600 is stronger than even 2700x so if you have the money go for that one.

so why would you want a shitty x570 anyhow?

The chipset has a tdp of 15W which is garbage efficiency for the application but that's still fucking nothing and they probably could have passively cooled it if ithey'd actually tried.
Also you'd use the cpu lanes first which don't touch the chipset so it's kind of a moot point.

More threads will help you get a better stable framerate but intel's 14+++++ chips give insane average frames.
>I want to play them at 4k I need every frame as to not go down 60 fps
Go for 3700x since it's 8c/16t and put that 70 euro savings into a good air cooler

Can I get a quick rundown on brands?
looking at getting a 2070s and a mobo for 3700x
also how important are ram timings?

Attached: Bogdanoff_of_the_Thousand_Rundowns.jpg (419x610, 236K)

I wouldn't want one since I'm using 9900k with a z390 anyway. I'd rather get a 3900x with a x470 if my pc burned down today.

Does it make me an autist if I rip out the case USB and audio jacks?

you would have to find a mobo you can update the bios on for 3rd gen

They help a bit. Not make-or-break though.

My ryzen 3600 runs hot. I mean extra hot. In idle it is never under 45 degrees. While gaming it goes up to 80 degrees. I replaced the thermal paste but shit is the same. I get high voltages while doing anything even though I have the newest drivers, bios, windows and even have disabled PBO but it still runs hot af. Should I, at this point, just take back the 3600 with the mobo? I mean, from 4 days I had it, I have never seen it reach 4.1ghz.

I posted these in the previous thread, I bought the Asrock 5700xt, here's what the temps look like in Furmark stock form and then with a custom fan curve that has it hitting 100% at 72 degrees.

Attached: asrockclocks.jpg (454x631, 150K)

Fans aren't particularly whiny at high speed because they're decently sized.

Attached: loudasrockclocks.jpg (456x636, 154K)

It's working as intended by amd's engineer desu
If you can't stand high idle temps, you can always get zen+ or 14++++

Firstly that's normal operating temperature for CPUs, secondly that's lower than intel operating temperatures, thirdly are you using the stock cooler?

sounds like you got clowned, bro

what program do you recommend for monitoring temps?

HWiNFO64

That's in spec. Zen2 is very bursty, and rather than run light loads at a low speed over a period of time it goes full throttle to get them done immediately so it can power all the way back down to sleep sooner. It can ramp up and down within microseconds which is kind of novel and why it's so efficient at it. That and the smaller feature size packing all the heat generation into a tinier space means the die temp is equally spiky. The total amount of heat it's producing overall however is comparatively small, which is why we have 65W 6-8 core parts and even the stock coolers can handle them easily.

thanks

IIRC these graphs aren't accurate due to going by total system consumption and not GPU power draw.
The 1660ti appears above the 5700 only because of lower frame rates. The higher framerates of the 5700 makes the CPU use more power, which is especially bad when they use inefficient intel CPUs for testing.
So really 2080 Ti > 2080 > 5700 > 1660Ti > 1660 > 2060S in efficiency.

>Micro center has a deal where I can get a 2600 and b450 tomahawk for $200.
that's not a very great deal. You could get a 1600+b450 board without driving somewhere for $170 total. I'm pretty sure you can get a 3600+board from Microcenter for about $250.

A 1600 is typically all you need for a smooth 60fps, with very very few exceptions.

>also how important are ram timings?
Look at tests. Setting FCLK and tightening timings gets you like a 15% perf improvement on Zen2. In other words, enough to make the 3900X match an overclocked 9900k.
But for some reason Gamers Nexus only tests CPU frequency OC without optimal RAM set ups as well.

Why didn't you google it to learn that Zen2 measures tJunction not tEdge? Pretty simple.
>Why is the oil temp of my car different than the tire temp of another car ????????

So you are telling me that 80 celsius while gaming is normal? The stress tests get my cpu to 90-95 celsius.

It is just weird because my previous cpu would go 50 max on a full load but this one just sits at 50 while doing nothing

>80
bruh thats kinda normal for gaming, doesbt ryzen run at higher amps anyhow?

arent x570 boards like $180?

Im just asking because my ryzen starts throttling and it litterally never reaches the max boost, let alone 4.1ghz

Welcome to the wonderful world of physical limits. That fearsome-looking temperature readout represents less actual thermal energy than a match head. These chips are designed to operate this way because the older way of managing power and thermals is no longer possible at these scales.
One of the reasons Intel is still on 14nm is because maintaining the same cpu behavior at 7nm would result in a miniature nuclear reactor. They need to make major architectural and behavioral changes to the design before they can shrink it any further.

is your mobo a shitter? I think gigabyte had issues with 2nd gen and their power

Msi b450m gaming plus

so you gotta run "l337" straight pipes for gen3?

Bros I have $1500 of AMD stuff on the way.
I randomly woke up this morning and wished I went intel/nvidia.

Not memeing, not trolling.

Tell me it'll be ok.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (180x179, 8K)

well that doesnt tell us much...

I hope you didnt intend to play games on your amd build

Yeah so you get a B450 one duh

$1500 sounds like a lot for an AMD build unless you got a lot of storage or that's including monitor.

it should get within at least 75MHz even on the worst board. Are you sure you're testing and monitoring it correctly?

80C tJunction is normal. That's like 60C tEdge. Retard. Show me a 9900k getting 60C under load without a closed loop.

>Show me a 9900k getting 60C under load without a closed loop.
right this way, into my walk in freezer

what do I do If I want a gaming rig for old games? commit sudoku?

buy old parts.

>so you get a B450 one duh
then you have to get a boot kit

what was the best windows 7/8.1 graphics card?

the internet definitely existed back then, so I'm sure you can find out.

You should be able to get pretty close unless something is wrong with cooling or power delivery. Even still AMD decided to be fucktards and binned their cpus based on max theoretical clock based on the sku's parameters, rather than sustained clocks like you expect everything else to do. So a 3600 chip is probably hitting 4.2 but only for a few milliseconds before settling down a bit to a lower sustained clock. You can improve this some with more cooling but not really escape it because the silicon simply wasn't binned that way.

current kino is 3200c16, quickly shifting to 3600c18

It won't be ok bro. You got clowned.

Can anyone suggest a budget monitor with an IPS screen? My usage will be more on document writing rather than playing video games.

is it possible to find 1080 Tis dirt cheap?

>then you have to get a boot kit
No you don't. Microcenter sells B450 boards with the BIOS already updated. Holy fuck.

>what was the best windows 7/8.1 graphics card?
Get a Terascale card or 460Ti or something running win xp if you want to play old games.

Attached: images.jpg (417x353, 18K)

like HP or acer ?

I don't get it you're idle temps will be high and your amd gpu will get hot but youre still going to have a high end pc at the end of the day. cheer up user.

im going for like 7 years ago, not ancient

Same, but I also feel like i'm going home. My best gaming years were on amd/amd system(2002-2010). It was glorious.
And i use ryzen since 1600x, so there is nothing to fear.

Nope. They should be

everything runs fine on w10 with a bit of tweaking, there is like 3 obscure games that don't, can also VM if you absolutely must play old game.

so I cant run GTA SA on win7 in xp mode on a skylake?

no

yes, it's easiest game to run, I thought you had something on glide API or something. just don't run the cucked version from steam, find older one

Thoughts on this for video editing/gaymen?

pcpartpicker.com/list/jJD2KB

not really, wait another gen
1440? only if you feel it's running that bad, but I can think only of ACO to be this way and only if you do heavy AA

can drop PSU to 600w and if you can- for editing i'd go 3700x, if not 3600 is okay enough

I have an old rip Im just trying to build something that can runstuff from 2010 or so when I was broke and definitely could not pc master race up to like today at like least 1080p 144mhz 70 fps

from 2010 everything will run, I replay a lot of stuff from that period, at worst you'd need a community patch or .ini tweak

why a HDD?

I'm starting to feel bad for all the punk motherfuckers who got clowned...

Yeah, I feel sad for i5 7xxx owners too

so im just a retard overthinking things and thinking nothing will work? I can just buy a 570/580? or would I want to go nvidia?

Maybe some other brand because I have terrible luck with products from both of them.

imagine being shilled into buying amd just because some asshat on this animeboard owns amd stock and wants to see amd stock appreciate

always get what is cheaper. you will have problems with games from 90s on both, and only 3d ones
99% of 00s stuff runs fine
can just google the game and see if it runs or not if you want double check

for documents can't go wrong with dell ultrasharp series. if you want it cheaper, I guess Benq is okay
AOC rep is spotty at best

well then how much can you spend? cause outside of that maybe LG or some korean rando

Yeah, I used to own an i5 too...

what if I want to go full retarded and stuff an ITX test bed inside a toaster?