Why did Microsoft abandon good UI design?

Why did Microsoft abandon good UI design?

Attached: large.png (488x400, 4K)

They never had good UI design, but it did definitely just get worse.

Ribbon design is fucking amazing and intuitive. Why do you faggots hate good UI design?

they never did.

Attached: dd2b8a94b9559143c6c97d239f6daa0f_1024x683.0.jpg (1200x800, 121K)

>light theme
cute catto though

Attached: 008.jpg (500x504, 21K)

>flat powerpoint driven design
>good
Why do you have shit taste?

I blame Pajeet and his extended family

It doesn't make sense with Word. Displays are horizontal, paper pages are vertical. Why the fuck would you add UI ABOVE the page if there already is so little space? It makes more sense to put the UI to the left or right of the page, since there's ample unused room there.

I like flat design. I can appreciate that might not be the case for everyone, but I think flat design looks nice.

Good point.
Nice to see someone not completely braindead here.

>all that wasted space
>all that incomprehensive space
Where does one button begin and end? Why the fuck is it not 2.5D so it's less confusing and actually easy to use? The UI parts are indistinguishable instead of being clearly separated.
It's like they want your brain to rot while using this garbage.

There's shadows over things when you hover the mouse over.

>when you hover the mouse over
That's even worse

I think you can grab the menus and place them where you want. Or pop them out from the top bar. They're not completely fixed there, afaik.

Also displays come in many aspect ratios. Some are actually vertically larger. Or you could flip their contents and use your monitor vertically.

That used to be the case, the ribbon cannot be moved anywhere, and it started a bad trend of static UIs
Very few people turn their displays vertically, and it doesn't make sense even on 16:10 or 4:3 displays

>Displays are horizontal, paper pages are vertical. Why the fuck would you add UI ABOVE the page if there already is so little space?
Fair point, though you can fill the workspace better by viewing multiple pages
Also a counter-point would be consistency with other software (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc)

Attached: Untitled.png (1281x730, 36K)

The vertical space lost when going from 4:3 (16:12) and 16:10 to 16:9 should have led to developers designing all their UIs with horizontal spaces in mind, instead they just pile shit in the extremely limited vertical space as displays get wider and wider

If you run applications side by side rather than full screen, you actually run low on horizontal space if using 16:9/16:10

Also, widescreen is good for multimedia but not good for text.

Attached: Untitled.png (385x486, 3K)

Faggot.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 15.28.44.png (1920x1080, 537K)

They just can't leave something as-is, they have to change everything about it instead.

This is the fault of both designers and software engineers. Both groups cant just say "ok this product is near perfect we only need to make small feature improvements", no that wont guarantee their job security they need to reinvent the wheel ever few years so there is work for them to do. The problem is that when something is nearly perfect, reinventing that product will only serve to ruin it, and that is what happened with Word, Paint, Windows UI, et al.

Windows was perfected long ago, but now they are just completely changing it, slapping lipstick on an old pig, disabling security updates for older versions, and you're stuck having to buy their new shit every few years. They get a steady stream of income and their developers get to keep themselves relevant with new "work".

Ribbon is taller and takes up more space, especially on those retarded 16:9 displays on laptops.

OOh, that theme, I remember that Excel with flat green theme at prev job, I fucking hate it, was eye burning.

People make mistakes more often than they make success.

So they did, moved everything into hamburger and left very few useful stuff, we got shittier smaller heigth screens as well as retarded software, taskbar/word/excel/browsers still use vertical space only on ridiculously wide 16:9 or even 21:9, we are left with huge empty spaces on the sides.

Developers are just following what they are told to, usually by some marketoid deepshits.

Attached: Untitled.png (1280x1024, 127K)

Ew. That's disgusting.

Nah, I've seen in first hand. They are never satisfied with their projects and are always looking for excuses to revamp them.

Change for the sake of change.
Theoretically the basic Windows 95 look could be here forever and you'd just add features. But normies want trendy look.

I doubt it was the normies but instead the retarded execs thinking that they must change their looks every x amount of time.

fpbp

If Win95 had security patches and driver support, I bet some people will use that unironically in 2019, office - check, mail - check, autocad, photoshop - check, tons of important but legacy software.

Wrong. Your eyes have to travel more left and right that way. It's easier the way Office does it.

Shit-manufacturers force me to do it on the side, where is my 16:10 or 16:12, they are PRO or damn expensive, it was not like this before.

movie maker was legit
fuck windows for this great loss

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 29K)

I've seen worse.
Also it's a phone with a notch, so you'd think the tiny icons would actually stay beside the notch and just rotate. But no, Chinese bug-men really can't into logic, or Google didn't think of that.
Do iPhones also do this shit when in landscape? What's the point of having a 52:9 ratio + a notch if half the screen is blank.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-24-17-17-31-963_com.microsoft.office.excel.png (2246x1080, 64K)

Problem with flat UI design is that you have to guess what you can click on and what is just a text because they both look the same and the buttons don't really look like buttons so you have no idea if something is interactive until you hover your cursor over it and it slightly changes its shade. Windows 10 has the shittiest UI of any software I have ever used

Can't it still be downloaded?