/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

A must-read: blagblagblag.org/anarchism/index.html

Previous thread:

Attached: kmveovz1lfy11.png (1100x618, 467K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
askubuntu.com/questions/399992/how-to-open-system-monitor-easily
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microsoft_fonts
twitter.com/ricecakemochi/status/1164535175155343361
download.enlightenment.org/rel/apps/eflete/
funtoo.org/Video
funtoo.org/Package:Radeon_Video_Drivers
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emagroups.ic2&hl=en
github.com/ujjwal96/xwinwrap
youtube.com/watch?v=FhwmT0G5EwM
youtube.com/watch?v=jYGDUpr1uYs
youtube.com/watch?v=Ov6b-H_rH2Y
users.notam02.no/~kjetism/radium/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

does it have some kind of a theme customization menu?

no. what do you mean bad?

What's the normal way one goes about installing microsoft office fonts

dumb rice question, is there a way to have xwinwrap work in i3 ? when I use it even with the -b(ackground) option the gif still acts as a floating window and shows up above tiled windows
command I'm using if it matters :
xwinwrap -g 680x453+2760+495 -ni -s -nf -b -un -argb -- gifview -w WID /home/user/Downloads/nier-wp/80b.gif -a &

Attached: 80b.gif (680x453, 2.69M)

any good music players that are not the same boring top 5

Please explain to a retard which the device the ACPI interface is

Attached: acpi.png (724x463, 400K)

Can you guys recommend me some Linux software for checking my computer (CPU, GPU, etc) temps/hz etc. CLI, GUI, TUI, whatever. Something similar to Speccy, cpuz, gpuz on Windows.

acpitz-acpi-0

user, I hope you can solve my shell completion crisis.

So you know dmenu? The way I have it configured is it's a horizontal line that allows me to launch programs by typing a part of their name and selecting the needed one from the fuzzily narrowed down list.
After being annoyed for way too long with completion provided by Zsh, I had an epiphany. The loop of "type something, press tab, hope Zsh figures out what you mean, repeat if it did not (and it probably garbled your input as well so retype the whole thing)" is absolutely terrible and unproductive.
I need a shell that has something like code completion but for picking binaries, options, files, etc. Like fzf+dmenu or something (but not like fzf's Ctrl+T or **, since it doesn't understand directory boundaries). Not like fish where it completes what you write if it has a match with that prefix (and lets you do the same tab dance otherwise), but I want it to show all fuzzy matches in one line (or a few lines) before I even press tab. (though I just noticed that completion in fish is better than in Zsh, so I'm tempted to give it a real try)

Any suggestions?

Attached: dmenu up top.png (1366x768, 20K)

Kind of an open-ended question. Just fishing for your guys' thoughts on Ubuntu. I'm thinking of trying it out again today for the first time in ten years.

It seems very polished and has a huge community.

It's a good option if you want a stable well-maintained system.

Well gosh, doesn't everybody want that?

Advanced cunny penis interface.

nope, many people want bleeding-edge experimental systems with small communities.

kys pedo

>moralfagging

Attached: weird flanders.png (364x374, 216K)

What's the Linux equivalent of a factory reset? Debian based.
Nothing is wrong with it there's just not enough on it to not warrant resetting

Attached: f04xo48w44911.png (1078x1087, 692K)

reinstall gentoo

What's the Linux equivalent to CTRL+ALT+DEL?

in b4 "CTRL+ALT+DEL", I've used distros where that combo does nothing.

What are you wanting ctrl-alt-del to do?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Do you do REISUB or REIUSB? I've done both and they'll work. Is there any real difference if you change up the order?

do you mean a program similar to Windows Task Manager? It's called System Monitor

askubuntu.com/questions/399992/how-to-open-system-monitor-easily

When a program is stalling my computer and I can't get it to stop

alt-sysrq-e
If that doesn't work try alt-sysrq-i
Keep in mind that it's not safe to use the system after that point. Once you've got the program to stop you should reboot normally.
If all that fails, REISUB.

>When a program is stalling my computer
often a program that freezes doesn't freeze the rest of the system, it's not Windows

It can if it's thrashing the swap or page cache.

You can switch to another tty with Ctrl + Alt + F1/F2/F3/..., there you can login again without a graphic user interface and terminate whatever program you want to terminate.
After that you can switch back to the graphical user interface, which is also on one of the tty's on my system it is Ctr + Alt +F7

There is no normal way. You can simply install a package with MS fonts, or just copy them, either to your /usr/share/fonts/ (requires sudo access), or ~/.local/share/fonts/, if you want them for you.

Read this page, if you haven't already:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microsoft_fonts

I wanna setup RAID for fault tolerance. (Gotta make sure those anime titties are safe).
The setup I have in mind is an array of RAID1 pairs which are all added to an LVM volume group. I have also thought about making a writethrough SSD cache LV to speed up reads. I imagine write performance to be impacted but it's a sacrifice for fault tolerance I am willing to make.
>why LVM
Ease of adding new RAID1 pairs to expand storage.
I also thought about using RAID1 3-tuples instead of pairs.
Pic related is a drawing of what I have in mind.

Am I doing something retarded?

Attached: 1555322342605.png (1920x1080, 169K)

Is Quod Libet top 5?

Use better fonts, preferably free as in Freedom ones.

no, it looks interesting
Also, I'm interested in more simplistic, CLI music players. is CMus good?

Not quite sure, if this is the right thread for this, but I guess it makes for a good laugh:
twitter.com/ricecakemochi/status/1164535175155343361

"So there was that patient that while getting heaved on the surgery table and receiving the anesthetics in order to sleep, heard the boot jingle of the hip prosthesis navigation PC and said 'What?! WindowsXP?!' and went sleeping afraid."

It's just temporary to convert my 5GB of school ms office presentations and documents into pdfs without having out of place fonts

sort of. there is edje but I never got it to successuflly compile. there is a package for it on debian, fedora and arch and others. I never used the application

so, you can't alter your theme with a default install?

pretty sure you can, also I fucked up. the program is eflete and it doesn't have any official packages

So I'm using Ubuntu and then Debian for over a dozen years now. My job is moving over to RHEL in next couple of months. Someone has a quick and dirty inforgraphic on apt vs dnf and all the other obvious diffirences I should start getting to know? I am planning to switch my home server and laptop to fedora since they do nothing important and I can test there.

Cantata or mpd or both at the same time.

> the program is eflete and it doesn't have any official packages
I've found this on their website:
download.enlightenment.org/rel/apps/eflete/

what can you say about QMMP? It looks like Winamp

Guys whenever I want to update and/or upgrade anything I get an error from DPKG saying the database is absud or new. I'm using ubuntu 18.

yeah but you have to compile it from source and that usually fails. they really have to work on that

perhaps it's better now. What version of Enlightenment did you have?

also, sorry. what I meant by "official packages" is if it's available in a distro repository.
I was using it on gentoo and it's one version behind (0.22.4). may compile successfully on a distro like arch

users on the site say that it has to match efl's version, or else it won't work

>DPKG saying the database is absud or new
This is a translation from spanish, by the way. I keep googling the error but can't find anything about it. It literally says
>el formato de la base de datos de informaciĆ³n (2) es absurdo o demasiado nuevo; intente obtener un nuevo dpkg
The format of the information database (2) is absurd or too new; try to get a new dpkg

Actual english line would be
>dpkg: error: info database format (2) is bogus or too new; try getting a newer dpkg
How the fuck do I get a newer dpkg?

How do I do network stuff in terminal? And in general how do I into networking such as setting local IP and whatnot
Like tracert and such

using solus linux. gimp has gone all fucky for some reason, but when i try to uninstall it i get pic related. couldn't find any info on this in google. anyone know what i can do?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-24 21-24-51.png (372x123, 14K)

I'd like to schedule a cron job for a program installed with pip3. When cron runs the job, it cannot find the program. How can I get cron to use pip3 instead of pip?

never mind lads. the phrase i needed was "broken package". was able to reinstall it after doing an eopkg rebuild-db.

I got a pi-hole rpi setup in which I connect with ssh with a public key. Is this a security risk to leave the rpi running 24/7? The ssh password login is disabled and the port is changed so chinks shouldn't be able to try to crack it right? I don't know why but the thought of leaving a ssh server running 24/7 always scared me.
Actually now that I think about it, my routers firewall should be configured to only allow local connections.

repostin'
Apart from manually removing them after the fact, how do I get bash to not record command and command with a space afterward as two different entries?
Gives me a touch of the tism when going back in history.

Is the MATE Debian Live Stable image the best way to get a stable OS running MATE onto a currently blank PC?

Doesn't the standard image have mate as well? Live image should be fine too but the basic cd image should be ok if you are not going to use it "live".
I usually just use the non-free image though because there is always some non-free firmware to load.

i have a local server and a private vpn with the server connected
if i ssh into the vpn's ip, im connected to my server, which is kinda cool because thats mostly what i want, but how do i ssh into the vpn?
also, if someone could actually explain whats happening under the hood that would be great, because my current understanding is that there are two sshd's duking it out on the same ip and the server wins for some raisin

wait nvm im stupid
"ssh {vpn ip}" connects me to the vpn not the server
ok so how do i make it so that it connects me to the server? is it even possible?

Why the fuck does snap think its using windows xp? Is there someway to make it use windows 7? When i just use wine to launch said program it works perfectly.

>snap

Attached: 25cqto.jpg (1200x794, 160K)

>/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Attached: 1561433214077.jpg (900x900, 83K)

flatpak more like fat ogre shit

based

based

I installed the deb for ungoogled chromium and it shows up as installed but it won't run when I type it in the terminal and a shortcut hasn't shown up
What do?

What is the keybind name for the "keys" file in FEH that controls the "Keep in Place Rotate CW" and "Keep in Place CCW"

Finished a funtoo install on the other night, when I rebooted the console font looked wide as shit, did I screw something up? The rescue cd's resolution is fine so I'm clueless. I did some looking around and I might have to tick some kernel options?? Do I really have to, or am I just looking at this the wrong way?

Not really any such thing. Packages are packages.

well you clearly don't have any video drivers installed
funtoo.org/Video
though if you have amd graphics you may have to configure the kernel a bit though to enable the blobs

forgot link
funtoo.org/Package:Radeon_Video_Drivers

on intelHD graphics:
$ sudo dmesg | grep -i drm
[ 12.495671] [drm] Memory usable by graphics device = 2048M

$ $ lspci -v -s 00:02.0
Memory at fe000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]

$ glxinfo | grep -Ei 'device|memory'
Device: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Desktop (0x102)
Video memory: 1536MB

I am aware that intel ipgus can scale memory used as vram but which one of them is, a possible to allocate memory limit, and is any of those even such a limit

I'm going for debian + lxde as daily shitbox, what I'm in for?

ouch how did I even miss that, I have intel gfx though, thanks

Stability.

Free software is not ogre, it begins now.

Attached: 2177277327_1aedf983fa_o.jpg (500x650, 335K)

oh shit

Got this error on a new install of void (usually run debian stable but thought id try sth new)
When i run qutebrowser i get:

/usr/bin/python3: Relink `/usr/lib/libwayland-server.so.0' with `/usr/lib/librt.so.1' for IFUNC symbol `clock_gettime'
/usr/bin/python3: Relink `/usr/lib/libmount.so.1' with `/usr/lib/librt.so.1' for IFUNC symbol `clock_gettime'
/usr/bin/python3: Relink `/usr/lib/libwayland-client.so.0' with `/usr/lib/librt.so.1' for IFUNC symbol `clock_gettime'
/usr/bin/python3: Relink `/usr/lib/libcairo.so.2' with `/usr/lib/librt.so.1' for IFUNC symbol `clock_gettime'
Fatal Python error: Segmentation fault

Is it normal to feel productive using Linux even if you aren't doing much with it?

yes. you're actually doing shit instead of installing another distro or ricing your desktop every day

bump pls help c:

Sounds like you switched from a tried, tested, and true distro for one that might work or might not. Stick to popular packages, it's possible that nobody has tested qutebrowser, but Firefox should work because it has more eyes on it. but really you should just go back to Debian/Ubuntu.

barebones DE but it should be quite stable. You might want to look into compiling skippy-xd and setting a hotkey for it to get faux expose (like in better DEs).

how did you install it?

go into terminal and type

sudo apt -f install

It's possible it's missing dependencies, this will correct it.

sounds like this is your first experience with Solus' shitty package manager. It's trying to remove a directory that it can't find.. I'm not sure why. Install something not made by an AFK lead.

It's pretty easy, just google equivalent commands. nice thing is dnf does delta-rpm updates, so it doesn't download the whole program again just the diff. Basically you just have to add RPMfusion for anything involving encumbered software, and the firewall is a piece of shit. Good luck, I'm not sure if RHEL is using dnf yet but I'm guessing probably.

Attached: 1402266613858.jpg (300x400, 96K)

Attached: serveimage (1).jpg (550x550, 34K)

>Since much of the real-time patch has now been implemented into the vanilla kernel, and considering the difficulties in maintaining linux-rt, Ubuntu Studio decided on using linux-lowlatency in its place.
Where can I find out more about the real-time patch now being a part of the default kernel?

what are some cool

Attached: ?.png (482x651, 137K)

John, Paul, George and Ringo.

cool-retro-term

63 split window corvette.

zsh

The mastermind behind free software.

Attached: Moglen.png (592x601, 732K)

rm -rf /System32

what is cool?

I installed anbox, How do I install Tales of Wind now?
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emagroups.ic2&hl=en

1. use xwinwrap from this repo github.com/ujjwal96/xwinwrap
2. use sxiv, gifview is garbage
example command:
xwinwrap -fdt -fs -- sxiv -e WID -g 1600x900 -b -a /path/to/your/gif/wallpaper.gif

youtube.com/watch?v=FhwmT0G5EwM
youtube.com/watch?v=jYGDUpr1uYs
youtube.com/watch?v=Ov6b-H_rH2Y
You are welcome to try out Radium, the free experimental next-generation tracker/music editor.
users.notam02.no/~kjetism/radium/

Attached: radium_5_9_48.png (1920x1080, 607K)

add the -s flag to sxiv to set the scale mode ([d]own, [f]it, [w]idth, [h]eight)

So?

Is there a way to continue the build process using ninja changing none of the configuration files and having all of the build files in the same location where it was built?