Trying to find a good way to get a wired connection from my modem downstairs to my computer upstairs...

Trying to find a good way to get a wired connection from my modem downstairs to my computer upstairs. Wifi is not an option as it's too damn slow.
Thinking about buying pic related and putting out the front door into the window of my office upstairs. I need to do something so it doesn't look too shitty.
Ideas?

Attached: 71fXJZPaTJL._SX425_[1].jpg (425x425, 35K)

Pass the cable through the wall.

under the edge of the carpet

This. Don't do something stupid like run it outside. Cut access panels in the drywall as needed (pro tip: use a pumpkin cut to make life easier when you're patching the wall after you're done), fish the cable through, and run it inside the walls.

Obviously run a cable channel or larger upstairs or get someone to do it for you.

The channel should be covered against fires or things, but keep it accessible. You'll eventually need it either way to replace or augment pipes, power lines, or these data connections (e.g. fiber optical wiring to your rooms).

powerline adapter

This. TP-Link makes great powerline adapter kits. I have the AV1200 3-port adapter kit, and it works great.

First of all: cables outside must be shielded otherwise every storm will fuck your network.
Don't buy terminated cables.
Buy items on the image and figure out something. There is plenty tutorials how to connect everything.

Attached: net.png (1920x1080, 637K)

Sorry for butting in on your thread but i have a question.

Planning to move the router to the living room due to the TV having shit wifi reception and constant disconnects and what not.

question is , will hooking the router with a cat7 65ft cable will add any noticeable latency?

>carpet
ew

if you have drywall just cut holes and run it through the walls
if you have plaster or something like that, run it along the floor and hide it under carpets, furniture, etc.

thats what i said when your mom pulled down her pants

no

electrical signals travel at the speed of light, you wont be able to notice a difference.
also,
cat 7 is way way way overkill
you would most likely be alright with cat5e

fish some cat5e or cat6 down the wall & terminate it on an outlet
or alternatively, run outdoor rated cat5e+ like coaxial cable to your modem
you can also move the cable modem by stringing up some RG-6

i just ordered a 5 pack of these snagless cables.
best thing since sliced bread

Attached: boomer2.jpg (629x629, 28K)

I cut apart a small ethernet cable and the phone line going to my room and connected them. The old phone plug in my room now has a wire coming out of, that's then cut open and spliced to an ethernet cable that goes into my PC. May not work depending on your house and is slightly questionable overall, but works for me

could try powerline. I had dropouts on it though so i switched to a wifi extender (with ethernet port).
if i wasn't living with my parents i'd just run proper patch panels to every room though, which is what i'd advise as a long term solution.

Why not snake it through your Central Air vents?

Why not get pic related?

Attached: 61UcsDVqUHL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 15K)

If you are going to make the cable from scratch, you could get a flat spool, cut two small slits and pass it though that way, least amount of damage needed.

because hard connections always work while wireless and software are prone to fucking up. a hard line is always better than wireless, only real reason to have a wireless connection is if your device isn't stationary.

>cables outside must be shielded otherwise every storm will fuck your network.
lol no, firstly the twisting goes a long way to keep noise low. Secondly lightning EMP can pass through walls easily and so wires inside are just as vulnerable as outside wires.

>wifi is too damn slow
any evidence to back that up?

what router do you have that benefits from cat 7?

Power line adapter

this hasnt been an issue for years for me. And now with WIFI6 its even better.

and requires everything to be the exact same, so wne my sc magically becomes 6 (I think ac is 5 by the new naming scheme) then that will be great. personally run 1 good line and that's all you need for the house, streaming won't suddenly need above gbit and even then, but good connection, that's something it will always need.

have never not had a problem with wireless either not making it far enough or just dropping out. its been better since i went to enterprise hardware but its still not perfect.

just get a power line unit

pretty decent these days, my 2 units sync at 350mbps, 500+ on a different powerpoint across from the modem (nothing on it).

No change in latency on my games

>he does not have a switch in his basement that feeds all his house rooms with cat7 cables

Attached: retard alert.jpg (493x342, 39K)

If buying new cable why buy something to a old spec when you could get the latest?
Even more so if you do it as a permanent installation.
It's not like there is any major difference in price on Cat.5e/6/7.

op, if youre dead set on running your connection outside, invest in outdoor rated cable. the insulation on the normal cables will break down quickly with uv and weathering.

>electrical signals travel at the speed of light, you wont be able to notice a difference.
since this /g I gotta correct this, the signals travel NEARLY at the speed of light (about 95% of it, in a good copper cable)

It still is a non issue.. dont worry about long ethernet cables.

just test your ping to several places on the internet while on wifi and on cable...

sure if you only surf and watch streams, you will never notice it... typical delay for WIFI is about 15-50ms

>powerline adapter
Second this.

Third. Make sure Gigabit as a minimum as you won't reach the advertised speed

Get a bunch of these and just hang the cable from the door frames and ceiling

Attached: ae235.jpg (330x330, 12K)

Use your electrical outlet as an internet cable

Im a retard i have a router downstairs with WiFi and a cable that goes to upstairs. But i also want to have WiFi upstairs, what do i need to connect to that cable upstairs so i can have both the cable and WiFi when needed. A different router?

This.
Better adaptors also extend the range of your wifi by acting as a repeater.

Attached: simplified network diagram.jpg (970x600, 51K)

I just dropped nearly 2000 cad on my first pc, and I now realize I have no way to get internet since the mobo doesnt have a wifi card. I did a rough measure of the distance from the router to my room and it's about 50 ft. That's a fucking tripping hazard considering how I'd have to wire it against the stairs, and I know I should just get a powerline adapter like other anions are saying to do, but I really dont want to buy and wait for another part.

Don't get powerline adapters if you need to reduce RF noise (ie shortwave radio). They are noisy as hell. Otherwise, they're great.

And here I am, the smug niggy who infact has a cat5 haphazardly stretched down to my basement dwelling because I for one don't care for drilling through several walls for the sake of aesthetics

Attached: 0.jpg (404x394, 23K)

Really depends, I got two isp handout router ap thingies connected with 15 meter cat.
far wifi: 30ms 40 down
near wifi: 20ms 70 down
lan: 20ms 75 down

If you have a stockpile of trash isp boxes like me, look for one with a ethernet port thats blue and or marked as WAN/Internet. Its just plug and play from there.

I'd do the same too except my floors are carpeted, and the router is on the other side of the house from my room