Is the SSD meme legitimately something to look into or is it just a bunch of paid shills spamming Jow Forums as soon as...

Is the SSD meme legitimately something to look into or is it just a bunch of paid shills spamming Jow Forums as soon as someone mentions traditional HDDs?

Attached: serveimage.png (650x301, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.seagate.com/craftsman-ship/multi-actuator-technology-a-new-performance-breakthrough/
blog.seagate.com/intelligent/hamr-next-leap-forward-now/
compuram.de/blog/en/the-life-span-of-a-ssd-how-long-does-it-last-and-what-can-be-done-to-take-care/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

meme? not long ago thought the hdd in my sister was defect because of how fucking slow it was. Almost told her to buy a new one.
When doing some benchmarks and comparing the scores i realized that there was nothing wrong with it, hdd's are always that fucking slow.

Is this post from 2009?

for mass data storage they're still to expensive to be worth it; but for an os drive idk how you manage to use anything else anymore

What meme? The dying meme? their problem is to just stop working one day so for storage of important stuff i wouldn't recommend it but boot times are so much better

if you dont have your os on a ssd in 2019 you're retarded
that said there's no need for nvme

Put your os into one, but for mass storage hdd's are still alright I think.

1TB SSDs are cheap enough these days that you have little reason to not have one in your PC. If you need nore storage than that then a high capacity HDD is fine as a secondary storage device.

Both

No mate aslong as you stay under the recommended bytes writen they wont fucking die. A hdd can fail the same week you bought it.
With an ssd you know almost exactly how long it will last. I have been using the same ssd since 2014, it is still in top condition and has not slowed down one bit.

U can literally buy a 240GB SSD for $30

if ur not putting ur os on that ur a RETARD!!!!!!!!

i bet u ppl are like
>ssd are still too expensive!!!
but ur still buying windows l00000000000000l

not a meme, but you probably don't need a pcie drive either

just avoid qlc and extremely cheap drives unless you don't care about the data in it (and even with the good ones, you should have backups)

mods

theyre a meme. Windows 10 on a HDD is fast enough thanks to microsofts sysmain/superfetch

SSD read and access speeds are no joke for loading and startup times, especially from a cold boot. While mass storage of media that doesn't benefit from high bandwidth and access speed is more economical to stick on a HDD.
Like your OS can boot to the login prompt in just a handful of seconds off an SSD. Meanwhile a bluray rip will take part of a second longer to start playing off a HDD but isn't going to play any better after that because it only needs like 14MB/sec of bandwidth.
There's a reason it's commonly recommended to use an SSD for OS and programs, and a secondary HDD if you need bulk storage.

niggers

>muh TBW
>muh TBW!
>MUH TBW!
>no matter how many times you're told it's always a bullet-to-the-brain controller failure

you don't really need an ssd, they are faster than a regular hdd but more expensive and with a very short lifetime

Where should games go?

Depends on the game. If the loading times on HDD are long enough to annoy you or they stream data from the drive constantly you'll want to put them on the SSD. If they behave themselves on HDD then just put them there.

Dunno senpai, I switched to all SSD's in 2013.

Haha

>Like your OS can boot to the login prompt in just a handful of seconds off an SSD
You could easily achieve this without an SSD. Just stop using windows.

All you need is 5400 rpm spinning hard drives user. Dont get memed.

5400?
Anything more than 3200rpm is placebo.

get a small one for boot and use mechanical drives for everything else. ssds are the same price they were 3 years ago and they haven't lowered at all in the past six months.

Attached: SSD-Price-recline.jpg (764x465, 113K)

Not how it works, unless you use no heatsink, as long as it's the NAND that failed and not the controller (of overheating), you won't lose any data, it just becomes read only.

Bruh i rev my truck on the way to work everyday higher than that

I can't even remember the last time I booted from an HDD and I know I never want to go back. How are we still having these threads?

60RPM masterrace

You're so behind the times that you're still even thinking about SATA SSDs.

In my experience the only difference is loading screens being a few seconds shorter on SSD. Not worth it, especially when games are 200GB+ these days.

Boot shit on your SSD and put your important data on HDD. You can recover data from a busted HDD, but not an SSD.

I would rather have an 8 year old Celeron with an SSD than a $2000 gaymen PC with an HDD

Yes they are a meme. Continue using cassette tapes with your 48k speccy.

- BOFH

Came here to post this

No, just leave them be
Also there's a need for NVMe, it's a upgraded standard that better fits with modern hardware, when the devices itself cost the same, it doesn't even matter if you go NVMe or SATA anymore, it's free benefits

Even my 12 year old thinkpad works well thanks to the SSD

>benchmarks
>scores
What a fucking faggot.

if the prices are the same it's the obvious choice, but at least here sata is still quite a bit cheaper.

Sure, I'll just give up being productive forever just so I can keep my OS on a slow mechanical drive.

>productive
Got first place in fortnite, huh?

SSD is really needed for an OS these days. Its just nice to have a computer that boots that fucking fast. They are also excellent for many programs including games but not all games. They are an absolute waste of money for media storage.

I wonder why the 860 Evo suddenly stopped dropping in price since the start if the year. It probably would have been less than $100 now had the downward trend continued

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-25-05-54-49-1.png (1362x1758, 294K)

OS on SSD, sensitive files (should ideally be backed up but also) on HDD because SSD failure is a much bigger pain in the ass.

>using an SSD when M2s exist

You mean sata ssd
M2 only benefit a bit compare to sata and run much hotter if you pick up the fastest one

SSD do make your machine a lot snappier, but the space is tiny, so the ideal setup is an SSD for shit you load frequently, HDD for all the other shit.

Is the CD-ROM meme legitimately something to look into or is it just a bunch of paid shills spamming Jow Forums as soon as someone mentions traditional floppy disks?

get a 512mb ssd at minimum, this way you can put your actively playing game on it and have a hdd for the mass dump of games, realistically games seldom benefit from ssds in a meaningful way.

literally no reason to get an nvme over a sata drive, however if an nvme costs the same as a good sata why not?

its not boot times, its the constant seaking that happens on an os drive that makes them fucking crawl, even sata 1 ssds were worlds ahead of hdds.

yes 512mb good size retard

mb/gb, you know what I mean.

they are good bootdrives
and/or good for long loading time games if that's your thing

the data already exists
google/bing is your friend

because there is a cost floor, as in, it costs X money and we aren't lowe then X yet.

but fuck if I know, WD recently lost 4 exabytes of nand, so thats got to fuck the nand market a bit.

Wanted to say the same thing. Wonder what /g technology really is.

>2019
>not using ssd

Attached: 1559001827891.jpg (570x587, 43K)

>not buying windows from a key reseller for $3USD

SSDs have been the replacement for HDDs for active usage for 10 years you dumb shit

>not hwid'ing your windows
>ishygddt

Made my 10 years old dying lappy faster. There is a significant performance improvement with SSDs.

They were a meme because they were too expensive. As long as the price keeps going down, it'll become a viable replacement.

>playing new games
user, I

Attached: 1561811597918.png (512x512, 484K)

OP is a prime example of how larping over outdated hardware actually rots your brain.

Do all SSD controllers overheat? How do I prevent this? I rarely do large operations to mine (it is for OS alone). Most taxing task must have been installing Windows.

>As long as the price keeps going down, it'll become a viable replacement.
If speed, size, silence, ruggedness, low weight, low power and low latency mean anything to you, you need to look at SSDs.
No amount of money can buy a HDD with the same characteristics as even the slowest, cheapest, SSD.
Yes, there have been some disasters in the SSD market but they don't have that on their own. A reputable brand will cost more, but what's your data worth? SSDs these days are worth the money.

When this new HDD tech is available it will become a meme for sure
>Multi Actuator Technology: A New Performance Breakthrough
blog.seagate.com/craftsman-ship/multi-actuator-technology-a-new-performance-breakthrough/

Attached: Seagate-Multi-Actuator-technology-conceptual-illustration.jpg (1080x608, 448K)

Multiple actuators have been a thing in mid-range and mainframes since the '70s.
Everything old is new again.

That's not just multiple actuators though, it includes a new tech called (HAMR) Heat-Assisted Magnetic Recording which i m pretty sure it didn't exist back in the 70s, nor the speeds this new tech is achieving

blog.seagate.com/intelligent/hamr-next-leap-forward-now/

Attached: ;98;90.jpg (600x495, 166K)

>HDD warranty: 2 years
>SSD warranty: 5 years
You tell me.

If you haven't used SSDs so far you may as well not bother.
Everyone always went on and on about CDs being the end of floppy drives, well jokes on them who the fuck uses CDs in 2019?

Lies. All good ones offer 60 month warranty. True for both HDD and SDD.

>the hdd in my sister was defect
user your sister may be a robot.

fuck 2.5". why aren't m.2 ssds dropping in price?

If you still don't have experience with SSD in 2019, I suggest you move out of whatever AIDS-ridden sub-saharan shithole you spent the last twenty years in and spend a tiny fraction ofr your first paycheck earned in the first world on a 250GB SSD and after ten minutes of casual use you'll have the answer to your question.

>Disk based drives are immune to controller failure

If SSDs are so great, why do most servers and data storage facilities use HDDs?
Checkmate atheists.

>twice as fast HDD
>reaches SSD prices due to increased complexity and the R&D/novelty surcharge
>still dozens of times slower

Brilliant!

Attached: sa.jpg (1024x576, 89K)

dozens? its close to 10000 times slower for the access times. and adding more mechanical functions to an already obsolete solution is asking for more hardware failures.

SSDS are the future, its just that OP is a faggot

That's benchmark figures, the real life difference is limited by the OS and software and not quite that massive, and I wanted to prevent HDD fags sperging about bench numbers.

Kek

SSDs are good for OSs and software, the speed is definitely worth the expense for that. For general file storage, I'd stick with HDs.

This. And back then it was valid because it cost an arm and a leg just to get an SSD big enough to boot your OS. But nowadays there really is no reason not to go with SSD. Only reason for using HDDs anymore is for mass storage/backup

>SSD
>meme
haha wow..nice thread

This, get a 250-500GB SSD and whatever TB you want for an HDD. Constantly rewritting on a SSD is bad and DONT get a 120GB SSD whatever you do. It will fill up fast with winshit bloat.

Pretty fucking much

So the load time difference for StarCraft 2 on an SSD vs HDD is around 30 seconds for some arcade maps.

When they die they don't give any warning. If you use them only use them for OS and program installs. They speed up those a great deal, depending on how much they use RAM. Games that load terrain all the time like those big sandbox games do really well on SSDs for the terrain loading from SSD to RAM.

THESE THREADS ARE WHATS MEME

just bought that 4TB Samsung SSD. shit was expensive but hopefully worth it, don't have it yet.

reason was one of the hard drives in my RAID mirror died and it really did not make sense to replace it with another mechanical drive. they just die. not worth taking chances in the lottery, there is no winning, they will eventually just die. also at the 4TB capacity + advertised NAS features, they are really not as inexpensive as "RA*I*D" presumes. a replacement used to be $170, which is a lot for 4TB, is now $250. fuck that. i'm honestly done with rotational velocidensity diskettes & RAID altogether forever.

Attached: 91KgeW3UJeL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1000, 293K)

I would have believed you weren't shitposting 5 years ago but come the fuck on.

Attached: bait trump.jpg (1000x1000, 158K)

I still cannot believe the progress. 4TB crammed into a box only slightly larger than a credit card.
At this rate, all of my childhood fantasies about technology might actually come true. I'm excited, are you excited ?

you are literally a fucking retard, or trolling, if you have never tried ssd

Why are you using “u” and “ur”?

No longer true
compuram.de/blog/en/the-life-span-of-a-ssd-how-long-does-it-last-and-what-can-be-done-to-take-care/

SSDs can last more than your lifespan. It's not even that expensive now. For the speed alone, it's worth it. The data you don't access that often can be put on an HDD. Another advantage is the complete silence of SSDs and low heat emission.

Most servers do use ssds user...

windows 10 without an SSD is fucking horrendous. My boot time went down from 10 minutes to 30 seconds.

The main difference I think is the seek speed, which is vastly superior to an HDD. The increased throughput I don't think makes much difference.

Worryingly, I think software is no longer being developed to minimise no seeks, which I think explains why windows 10 and visual studio is nigh unusable without one (plus the c# compiler is so shite so add that as well).

if you put ssd's in raid you are a utter retard
raid is not back up

btw also getting a 4TB SSD next year.
fuck the normies
I ain't going slow for them lol

mvme is still a massive meme unless your running a 4k monitor
and fuck all people even have greater then 1080p because its expensive as fuck to go up.

Meme? The difference is massive, just loading Windows used to take forever. Now it's instant. Literally takes a second

>seagate

Now it can break 2x sooner!