/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric or VR games: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: until 2020.jpg (800x356, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/b/JLXPxr)
linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/
youtube.com/watch?v=cCmNTphD7zQ
newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-1tb/p/N82E16820147691?Item=N82E16820147691&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JLdxFT/samsung-970-evo-10tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e1t0baw&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-THWGwx6moNXgfRTNU0CeJg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first

>the "there is nothing beyond 1080p" shill OP is back

More like anti-shill

wait for threadripper

Everything beyond that is excessively overpriced. Better to wait 3 years and save $50.

This. The best value is to not build a co.piter for the next 6 years. Wouldn't want to waste money.

>intel and nvidia only make sense at 1080p/144hz or 1440p/144hz gaming
>let's ignore anything above 1080p so only AMD makes sense
>anti-shill

>Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases.

assuming everyone is a poor schmuck

Even at 720p with a 2080Ti, Ryzen 3 is in the same tier as Core 9000. At 1440p there's very little difference. The only reason I recommend Ryzen over Core is that at least you have the option to double your multithreaded perf from an R5 3600 by throwing in a 3900X down the line

Attached: relative-performance-games-2560-1440.png (500x1330, 81K)

Where's the aesthetic middle ground between "windowless black box" and "rainbow vomit RGB"? Anyone have examples of RGB done tastefully?

you don't need to be poor to make good purchasing decisions, in fact rich people are more likely to make good purchasing decisions than poor people. much more so.

Your post is so contradictory it actually hurts.
>let's raise resolution
>so that CPUs matter more!!

ALL WHITE, NO RGB.

Damn, the 2x00 series is statring to look better and better.

Can I get better than this for £80?

Replacing an old 600w PSU that gets black screen crashes for a Vega 56

Attached: 61k0oqROCkL._SL1024_.jpg (1024x700, 89K)

Redpill me on FSP PSU's. thinking of getting one.

a lot of people here hate corsair psus but I admit I dont know why
I've always been a seasonic man

They should require users to provide proof that they're currently holding a job before being allowed to make posts, what the fuck is this giga poorfag retard OP.

Seasonic Focus Gold

Hey lads, looking to build a new mini itx PC and was looking for some advice.

I've already got a 1080p 144hz monitor and was looking for a relatively cheap GPU that can take advantage of playing most games with decent settings at 120fps. I've been looking at the RX 5700, but was wondering if there was anything better for a lower price. Thanks.

Seasonic focus gold

Looking to replicate this build (pcpartpicker.com/b/JLXPxr) as a game development (Unity) workstation. What sort of cooling would I need to OC all cores to 5GHz and not turn my room into an oven?

Attached: 2018-10-19-product-2.jpg (1600x1600, 124K)

Pull your pants down, bend over, and buy that new graphics card.

>(pcpartpicker.com/b/JLXPxr) as a game development (Unity) workstation

>develop
>Intel
pick one.

>What sort of cooling would I need to OC all cores to 5GHz and not turn my room into an oven?
You fucking moron. Where do you think any heat produced by your components goes? Magically disappears into the ether if you buy Noctua? Shit, I think we just figured out global warming, better put some Noctua fans on the sun.

>september
some unconfirmed rumor it will be september 7th

but let's say it will actually release... what's the chance of them actually being available before the end of the month?

>I have a McJob and am now able to waste some money in my free time to give my life meaning
>encourage everyone to be like me!

>gamedev
>9900k
???????????????
why in the world wouldn't you get a 3900x?

I ask this because I have heard about externally chilled liquid cooling but don't know if that's really viable yet. Theoretically that should maintain ambient room temps, at least better than air cooling or even closed loop liquid cooling with a radiator

>what's the chance of them actually being available before the end of the month?
there will be a bunch of 3950x available at launch, but once those are gone it will take forever for restocks to happen. the binning numbers on the 3950x are insane, it's going to be nearly impossible to buy them.

>what's a gpu

Depends on the silicon lottery, sadly.
I'd say if you wanna make sure you're hitting 5 GHz at reasonable temps and you're already willing to spend assloads of money, consider buying a binned 9900K.
Other than that, most top tier air coolers like the Dark Rock Pro 3/4 or the Noctua D15 will do the job, as well as any well reviewed 280mm AIO.

>game development (Unity) workstation
>care about heat generation
>buying intel
memes

It's funny how you're talking about me trying to force my perspective when it's the faggot ass OP who's lying to people and acting like anything over 1080p isn't even an option (as well as recommending underpowered AMD trash because he's a stockholder/shitposter).

Can get them in pre builds, at least in the UK they get two different stock sets.
At any point since release you could of bought a prebuilt 3900 and the 3950 will be the same.

they are OEM for other brands like bequiet and also sell their own PSUs
good brand;good psus

also this

>what is logic
AMD has equivalents for any Nvidia graphics card except a 2080Ti. OP lists one Radeon card (the 570) and one Nvidia card (the 1660). Also it gives use cases for each brand. Try to use your feeble mental faculties before posting, retard

Is the Hammer (80 White) good for a humble 2600 + RX460 build? It's the cheapest modular PSU.

>"don't play over 1080p, it makes me feel bad when you buy expensive stuff!!"
>still recommends 3700X over 9700K or 9900K despite them obviously dominating at 1080p gaming

What's the AMD equivalent of the 2080 Super?
Which AMD card delivers 4K performance on the level of the 2070S for the same price?
Fuck off literal shill.

>me trying to force my perspective
>underpowered AMD trash
Yeah, you're not trying to do that. You're also not a drooling brandwarrior who can't even correctly interpret bar graphics

>What sort of cooling would I need to OC all cores to 5GHz and not turn my room into an oven?
Move the pc outside of your room.

>2070S doesn't exist
>2080S doesn't exist
>ack-shully, as you can see here, if you undervolt this card, put a 200 dollar waterblock on it and run these 4 games it gets actually pretty close to a regular 2080 and beats a 2070S by 5 fps and it doesn't even sound like a jet engine anymore either

>linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/
why the fuck is there not a single psu above 650w in the A+ tier?
anything wrong with going above 650w for a psu?

Nigga he's literally telling people to buy a 3700X as the "overkill" gaming option when that shit doesn't even compete with third tier 1 year old Intel CPUs in a majority of games.
Buying a 3700X for gaming when the 9700K costs the same and way better in hugely more titles would be beyond retarded.

some people argue that psus above ~650 (I've also heard 600) shouldn't be used and you should really be using a double PSU with two wall plugs

My 2011 computer dies, i need a new mobo, cpu and ram for a youtube/shitposting station. Think of the following components:
- Ryzen 3 2200G (84€)
- Asus PRIME B450M-A (75€)
- Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 2x8GB CL16 (99€)

Maybe 3200 MHz is too much for these components? I saw some Corsair (3000MHz CL15) memorys for 15€ less, I don't know what to choose.
Can somebody help me?

Attached: 1491754488274.jpg (1024x1024, 63K)

200 euros for a new 1070 rog
y/n?

Yeah that's easily the best you can get for 200 right now.

I hope that is just some vodoo
I plan on running sli gpu, so I will be at around 700w usage and a 1000w psu would be the smallest one I would even consider for that

For 1080p? Easy buy.

>sli gpu
for what? sli is pretty bad nowadays, and getting worse.

>2070S
5700XT is in the same tier

>2080S
Whatever, let me amend my statement: AMD has equivalents for any Nvidia graphics card except a 2080S or 2080Ti. Enjoy paying over 75% more for the 2080S as a 25% less powerful 5700XT

But your brand loyal whining is beside the point. BOTH manufacturers are price gouging, which is why none of those cards are listed in the OP

Attached: relative-performance_3840-2160.png (500x1050, 56K)

>Buying a 3700X for gaming when the 9700K costs the same and way better
They're almost identical as long as the resolution and graphics card are correctly paired.

>same tier
>10% worse

Right, because you're going to notice 66FPS instead of 60FPS. Get fucked

Navi is fucking shit at higher resolutions, 5700XT is only in the "same tier" if you use them both at 1080p for some reason.

>not turn my room into an oven
That's not how cooling works.

>liquid cooling
This merely transports heat within the case to radiators.
>chilled
Needs a compressor and would work exactly the same as your refrigerator or AC. I suggest you look up how both of those work.
You'd have to hook up the exhaust to your building's cooling or dump it outside if you don't want your computational heater to cook your room.

You don't need 3200MHz for shitposting, but don't get those 3000MHz CL15 ones, that's an Intel standard and might have problems with Ryzen. They also might be ultra cheap garbage that has a factory xmp overclock to those speeds and marked up for the privilege. So check what speeds the motherboard likes.

Recommend me an AMD GPU that can do 1440p/144hz at ultra settings.

How should I set up my case fans? Static RPM, or follow the CPU curve. or something else?

I like shitting on retarded AMD shills as the next guy, but there is no GPU on earth that can do that in recent titles. lol

there's no blanket answer to this question
if you want people to even try to answer you should post a flow diagram, case picture, with each fan labeled, the cpu, gpu, cpu cooler, and your goals (noise, oc, low temps, etc)

you have to enclose the radiator in a separate cooling chamber with constant cold/refrigerated water going through it instead of air. jayztwocents did a video on the concept where he took a styrofoam cooler, filled it with ice water, and used a fishtank water pump to circulate the icewater between the radiator fins.
it worked pretty well but it isnt a great setup for day-to-day use.

That's a 4K chart.

If you're playing CS:GO, Fortnight, PUBG, R6:S, a 5700XT. If you're playing BFV or the vast majority of recent single player games, neither manufacturer has a graphics card that do that

Attached: battlefield-5-2560-1440.png (500x570, 41K)

Is following the CPU curve a safe bet for now until I can be bothered to tweak it properly?

meant for

technically the safest option would be to keep the fans on max, but yea following the cpu curve is almost certainly fine

Memory latency will be the same between CL16@3200Mhz and CL15@3000Mhz, though at 3200Mhz the read/write speed will be higher.
I think it won't make a noticeable difference for browsing the web.
If you plan to stress the integrated graphics on your 2200G (gaming) you will probably get use out of faster RAM.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

I strongly advise against doing an SLI build.
Your frame rate will be very unstable, your room will be hot, your electricity bill will go up, not even all games support SLI, and the games that do support SLI will not scale well with more than one GPU.

144hz doesn't mean a solid 144fps but at least a solid 60 so you can tweak a couple settings to get close to 100 without sacrificing visual fidelity on a game by game basis. For instance god rays look like shit in 90% of all titles, so turning that off will easily bump fps by 10%, same with chromatic aberration, motion blur and DOF or 8k shadows turned down a notch, no visual difference but a nice boost. The only real hardware hog that is actually justified is AO and texture resolution and model quality. Also AA isn't that important at 1440p+.

some games actually have lower performance in sli than single gpu, which is hilarious

What is the best monitor for console gaming IE switch? I have an asus vg248qe (kms) and the colors are pretty shit. Awful viewing angles too.

Any decent 60Hz IPS

phanteks evolv x

> jayztwocents did a video on the concept where he took a styrofoam cooler, filled it with ice water, and used a fishtank water pump to circulate the icewater between the radiator fins.
Finally found that video: youtube.com/watch?v=cCmNTphD7zQ
Certainly is an outside the box setup, but I might try something like this. Will post back with the results

>I might try something like this.
nah I doubt you'll do something that takes so much effort
>Will post back with the results
that's definitely not happening

>not happening
Sure it will

nah you wont

I have the 650 version of that m8 and it's been flawless.

I will
Screencap it

>You don't need 3200MHz for shitposting, but don't get those 3000MHz CL15 ones, that's an Intel standard and might have problems with Ryzen. They also might be ultra cheap garbage that has a factory xmp overclock to those speeds and marked up for the privilege. So check what speeds the motherboard likes.
The two memories appear in the list of compatible memories of Asus mobo

>Memory latency will be the same between CL16@3200Mhz and CL15@3000Mhz, though at 3200Mhz the read/write speed will be higher.
>I think it won't make a noticeable difference for browsing the web.
>If you plan to stress the integrated graphics on your 2200G (gaming) you will probably get use out of faster RAM.
Maybe stop spinning my head and buy the HyperX 3200MHz ones. 15 euros more is not so much money

Attached: 1.jpg (800x800, 54K)

Ive been looking to fill the extra m.2 slot in my motherboard, and I've been eyeing this:
newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-1tb/p/N82E16820147691?Item=N82E16820147691&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JLdxFT/samsung-970-evo-10tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e1t0baw&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-THWGwx6moNXgfRTNU0CeJg
Are there any better drives for the money? It'll be used as my main boot drive and vidya.

Attached: 5711d844236c71.jpg (640x438, 43K)

Hi, I could use some help to refine this build:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Wraith Spire (3.8 GHz / 4.4 GHz)

MB - MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX Series Low Profile 16 Go (2x 8 Go) DDR4 3200 MHz CL16

GPU - Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GD5

SSD - Crucial BX500 480 Go

I would apreciate input, especially about MB/GPU/SSD

Thank you in advance.

Attached: 1337789578825.jpg (2560x1600, 858K)

Hey guys, what would be a good PC for someone from more of a sports background?

>AMD
Yike's

>dat link
Learn to use a computer before you think about building one yourself

When I built my PC I put in a Ryzen 5 1600. Later on when the 2600 came out I skipped it because it didn’t seem like a big improvement. Is the 3600 a big enough leap to consider upgrading?

thanks for your input, next

I'll be back in 6-8 hours if you guys dont get serious help I will be posting then

ssd very smol
for gaming i would legit drop to a 3600 and get a 1tb ssd instead if no other storage is considered

WAIT FOR EVERYTHING YOU WANT
WAIT AND WAIT UNTIL YOU FUCKING DIE

U niggas prefer talking about and waiting for products than actually using them

Fags

Advanced Micro Devices

What the hell does that even mean? You play basketball, so your computer has to be different?

this but only wait for threadripper

I think it's some kind of bait, there's been a post with almost the exact same wording except "woodworking background"

I don't know, maybe a treadmill with an ipad?

Hows your ram oc going, fellow poozens?

Attached: 63.42.jpg (943x802, 234K)

always wait for threadripper
even when it comes out, you wait for the next one

Why don’t you guys just get some cas 16 3600 ram?
Do you guys get off on overclocking or something?

based