What distro does linux use?

What distro does linux use?

Attached: serveimage(3).jpg (460x460, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/bd664f6b3e376a8ef4990f87d08271cc2d01ba9a
lkml.org/lkml/2017/7/6/577
groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.os.minix/dlNtH7RRrGA/SwRavCzVE7gJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ChromeOS

Windows 10 Pro

Fedora the last time I heard.

It's MacOS actually.

He actually uses systemd? Woah

His name is not linux, it's GNU/Linus.

He's side-stepped the systemd discussion and pretty much said he doesn't really see a problem with it.

If i recall, last he was using Fedora on a Macbook Pro

github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/bd664f6b3e376a8ef4990f87d08271cc2d01ba9a

Fedora. The commit is old, but since it was known that he'd been using that distro for a while, he's probably still using Fedora.

Debian GNU/Hurd

imagine being the creator of linux but never being able to install an debian based distro

Yeah, only a couple of his employees like Luke and Anthony seem to use Linux.

Fedora

Today is the 28th anniversary of this post on comp.os.minix:
>Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
>I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons) among other things).
>
>I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work. This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>Linus ([email protected])
>
>PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs. It is NOT portable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.
>
>—Linus Torvalds

Then he started yelling insults at trannies.

use systemd incel

Linus Torvalds uses Fedora

>never being able to install an debian based distro
Honestly it's probably more politics and Red Hat/Linux Foundation worship than actually not being able to install Debian, he just doesn't really want to discuss it.

Upside is that Torvalds himself clearly doesn't think that choosing between the major distros is something particularly important, except for the commercial/politics aspect.

Mac because everyone wants a GOOD kernel and a GOOD window server

Red hat is a sponsor to the linux foundation. I suspect he uses fedora to please the donors?

>I no longer feel like I can trust "init" to do the sane thing. You all presumably know why.
lkml.org/lkml/2017/7/6/577

They're only a silver member, which means they're just one among dozens of smaller donors

>windowserver
>good

Attached: mSI7x.png (815x672, 151K)

He said in a Debian event that he once tried installing Debian but it was too confusing. That was a long time ago and a female in that event said that it's pretty easy installer now. He then said that he doesn't really like distrohopping because he keeps the same distro on all family computers and he's the sysadmin for his family. He would have to change the distro on all the family computers if he would distrohop to keep it easy for him. He also said he tried Ubuntu but that one didn't allow him to replace the kernel easily and that's pretty much all he does so it was not for him.

i dont want to say stupid things but i think that stallman screw him a bit with all the GPL bullshit and this is a kind of a message to him about taking advantage on the development

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 47K)

GNU utils are nice and all but the picture makes it seem that the Linux kernel is just a very small part of the success story.

thats my fucking point user!
"gnu/linux, gnu+linux" its just a very nice attempt to explain what the hell is going on in the free software community.
and linus actually get the fuck away from all of this the best he can

One powered by nVIDIA

what was the first desktop he had running on it.
was it his own, or did he port x or something
maybe users by then, did it for him

fedora because he is not an incel

he runs bare metal linus

Unfortunately he's uses Red Hat products.

The one that comes with the windows kernel.

the internet was so comfy back then
JS was a mistake, the internet should have been made in pure texts
groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.os.minix/dlNtH7RRrGA/SwRavCzVE7gJ

Linux Mint

Yeah, he become more and more based as the years passed

Microsoft MacOS

Its funny because I bet the kernel has had waaaay more effort and time put into to it than some miscellaneous programs written by hobos. Stallman portrays it as if GNU is the vast majority when it really isn't.

Win10

Attached: file.png (558x163, 102K)

Fedora on a MacBook Air you dingus.

Huh, for some reason I thought he was using Debian on a Macbook.
Ah, this must be why. I remember now.
I don't remember older Debian ever being very confusing, though... Before Ubuntu I saw it as the most normie of them all aside from the few commercial distros.

lulz

screw http altogether. LONG LIVE GOPHER

nice

Broofs

Attached: 89C1C4EB-3D4C-49E6-AE92-29AD4D0FC9F9.jpg (619x442, 42K)

>lulz
Which one u use

He hasn't used that in many years. He had already switched to Sony Vaio in 2015 and in current year he uses a Dell XPS 13.

Attached: torvalds_no_more_macbooks.png (532x475, 54K)

Pure, unadulterated Linux kernel.

Clear Linux

These people are really pathetic and gay.

Attached: 271BA434-5F44-49A3-8F69-14EEC32E6EED.gif (498x290, 490K)

SLS contained the X window system for linux. As far as I know, Linus did not work on any interface, hes always focused on the kernel and just a few core tools. There was enough interest early on that a lot of people wrote all the other software, including very basic but necessary things like fdisk. And of course, all the GNU software coming from stallman and friends. Linux was close enough to unix that a lot of software could be ported over

Same

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Microsoft MacOS, is in fact, GNU/Microsoft MacOS, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Microsoft MacOS. Microsoft MacOS is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Microsoft MacOS", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Microsoft MacOS, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Microsoft MacOS is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Microsoft MacOS is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Microsoft MacOS added, or GNU/Microsoft MacOS. All the so-called "Microsoft MacOS" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Microsoft MacOS.

Literally the only thing from Gnu project that is actually required for modern linux distro is gcc and kernel is more important anyway.

What about the memes

he's a Windows 7 holdout

Attached: 1444145830877.jpg (720x480, 398K)

Older Debian was a pain in the rear because nothing fucking worked and the installer wasn't very well automated. It was possible to have a functional installation that didn't support networking because your generic Broadcom binaries weren't included and you had no fucking idea because the installation script didn't tell you anything.

linus

*Tips*

macbook*

>mr. linux is not using mainstream linux software
do you think he's using some obscure distro with no real world usage? he's a redhat for decades now.

Xubuntu last time I heard,

The boot time on a 3.5" hard drive. Mmm so based

What's the point of shilling the distro you use? It's stupid. He uses Fedora, end of story.

Gentoo

Obscure distro is not synonymous with a systemd-less distro.

He said he doesnt recomme d distros where you compile everything yourself

Linus tech tips uses w10 unironically

So what? It has nothing to do with Torvalds.

? Same guy

But Linus invented Linux

That surprises you?

Linus is heralded as some tech guru but he's mostly a kernel manager — not programmer — this is the chap who went on a tirade about SuSE's default printer settings that he could have just changed by editing a simple file.

Linus claims to strongly belief that stuff "should just work" failing to realize that all have different præferences so he means "It should just work how I want it to work" so he tries out distro after distro until he finds one that meets his own personal præferences in default settings the most and complains about those that don't whilst he could've just changed them instead of uninstalling and re-installing.

Same chap is against pluggable c.p.u.-schedulers in Linux because he feels that one scheduler should be able to fill everyone's needs; he strongly beliefs that his own subjective beliefs are "the right way".

>I'm here to do stand-up comedy for seven-year-olds!

Attached: 1563880966172.jpg (250x250, 6K)

>posting on Jow Forums
You almost got a point there

Anything that installs easily via point and click

so fedora

Yes, being an expert at one thing doesn't mean general expertise in related things. When you combine expertise in one field with general stubbornness as a personality trait as well as incompetence at other things, you get tantrums when things don't go that person's way.

He was an old man yelling at a cloud in his 30s already. His expertise enabled it. Without his expertise and status he would've been out on his ear eating Salvation Army soup from a tin cup on a park bench.

makes me chuckle to think that this was his first post and the next something like
>there are no girls with dicks only guys with boobs!

>so he means "It should just work how I want it to work" so he tries out distro after distro until he finds one that meets his own personal præferences in default settings the most and complains about those that don't whilst he could've just changed them instead of uninstalling and re-installing.
He really is one of us Jow Forumsuys

Attached: 33.png (671x470, 152K)

Fedora.

Attached: 1566847394923.jpg (1267x1188, 265K)

>Linus claims to strongly belief that stuff "should just work" failing to realize that all have different præferences so he means "It should just work how I want it to work" so he tries out distro after distro until he finds one that meets his own personal præferences in default settings the most and complains about those that don't whilst he could've just changed them instead of uninstalling and re-installing.

he doesn't fail to realise it, he accepts that his community is made up of autists who will disagree over the most retarded shit. some people don't want (or don't have time) to spend a whole day fucking with their OS before it's usable.

he just uses fedora retard lmao get rekt autist

>forces every family member to use an operating system with the autistic kernel he wrote
Based and redpilled.

lel

Does anyone have an estimate count of lines of code of the entirety of the GNU software usually shipped with distros vs Linux? I remember Linux is currently like 23 millions line of code. That can give us a rough estimate of the size and effort put into the two projects.

is it really not usable? more like hes the autist for wanting everything to work in his specific way

>Fedora
This. He was bitching about his distro last time I heard, something about needing the administrator password to add a printer (for his daughter at school, he didn't want to make her an administrator). I see mentioned it as being openSUSE.

But I'm pretty sure he uses Fedora these days.

None, he uses MacOS.

>linus can't into cups
the absolute state

What are some reasons to use openpepe over m'distro?

Attached: components_of_a_linux_distro.png (1000x1000, 141K)

I can't think of any. Fedora is more performant and up-to-date.

Tik Tok Linus