NeoVim?

>More features than Vim
>More minimal than Vim with 30% smaller codebase
What's the catch?

Attached: neovim.jpg (448x347, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vi.stackexchange.com/a/96
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No catch. Most Vim developers nowadays are running Neovim anyway. Neovim is to Vim as Vim is to vi.

>What's the catch?
It's not DOOM Emacs.

Attached: doom-emacs.png (1532x944, 197K)

who cares about vim itself nowadays? just use a proper editor or IDE with vim keybindings

>Finally decided to try emacs
>Tried evil mode, quite impressive
>Wanted to draw vertical lines at columns 80 and 100, just like I achieved in a single line of configuration on vim
>It requires an awful hack which breaks half a dozen other functions
Dropped. Emacs is terrible

>doesnt even have magit
lmao

The fuck does emacs have to do with Doom?

vimscript

1080p original vim vs pirated 240p neovim.

What single config line is that?

set colorcolumn=80,100

Typed on my phone from memory, but it's something like that

There are thousands of things Emacs can do with a small amount of code which you couldn’t feasibly do in vim. Getting hung up on this one feature (which I’m pretty sure wouldn’t be too hard to implement in Emacs anyway) is silly.

It does tho? It's just an option.

lmao what. whitespace-mode does this and it's part of vanilla Emacs. where the fuck were you looking.

ya but learning elisp is fucking impossible

I have up on vim pretty quick

having to type a key to code and then stop coding, press another key for any commands or to move across the screen and then anther key to start coding again

it's not the 1950s, I can't code like that

I switched to emacs pretty quickly.

There may be a steep learning curve, but at least I can actually have it be functional without memorizing a bunch of commands first

>:%d
I deleted your post what now bitch

it was built by cry babies who had their PR's rejected by the Moole

It's functional, but there is very little reason to switch to it over vim. Also the features they say they have over vim are buggy as fuck and not worth using

Pure text editors are still useful if you're ssh-ing to stuff.

qed -> ed -> em -> ex -> vi -> vim -> neovim

did i miss anything? that seems to be the full lineage

All "vim keybind" plugins suck ass in my experience. Too many of them don't implement commands beyond :s and :d.

>vim
>30mb

>emacs
>38mb
>depends on alsa and gtk
hang on i can get emacs without xorg support
>37mb
great

so vim is lighter... oh wait i need to install gvim for clipboard support
>depends on gtk3

yeah vim needs a cleanup. why are these great editors so bloated? i mean they're still fast and quite small but the dependencies are so dumb. i guess i could just compile my own vim with clipboard support but it really should just be integrated

>i need to install gvim
??
>"+y
>"+p

Does it work with the X clipboard though?
vi.stackexchange.com/a/96

Yes, if you have the clipboard feature enabled.
On both Debian and Arch, the default neovim package has it, no gvim required. Otherwise, just build it.

There is none.

If auctex preview weren't garbage I would be using spacemacs right now.

The thing is the clipboard feature doesn't seem to be very common. I've used Mint and Arch and neither of them have it

Use neovim

Yeah I'll probably try it out eventually. Add it to the "things that are better but have less support right now" list

>less support
I don't know what you use, but in my personal experience, Neovim works same or better (supports more plugins).

how do you guys rationalize using a terminal base editor, I mean can you imagine a less efficient way to display something on your screen.
you can usually mount an ssh server on your file system and use you local editor.

I was quite happy with sublime text for a while until I bought a raspberry pi and realize how stupide a close source editor was.
Tried Atom feels bloated and unresponsive, skipped vscode because it looked the same.
why neovim seem to be the best option and yet completely anachronic.

>but have less support
How so?

I did my internship mounting with sshfs the server on which I was working and editing with gVim
It was comfy

Fully-featured modern terminals are basically GUI frameworks (text formatting, mouse support, true colors, wide characters, sometimes even image rendering). I'd even prefer GUI editors to have grid of blocks as their text field instead of whatever crap they do and other parts of the GUI are usually either a distraction (action buttons, dropdown menus) or can be easily replicated in TUI (status lines).

I'm thinking of switching to emacs with evil mode. Why should I use this instead of spacemacs?

How are terminals inefficient? When I edit something with Vim it instantly opens and I never have to deal with slow GUI rendering. Also when you use terminals in your workflow everything cooperates. You can connect anything you want. You can execute a bash command and insert the result into your text with one Vim shortcut. You can set up shortcuts to compile and run the current file depending on its extension. You can arbitrarily swap different file browsers into your Vim setup. You can change syntax highlighting for any language.

>evil mode
Yikes

and about 15MB bigger.

There is none.
It's a better version of Vim that basically forced Bram to choke on his words and implement more features. It also supports more plugins.\ and has less legacy code.

Attached: 2019-08-26-13:50:10-screenshot.png (1262x1416, 192K)

seriously what happened to xi-editor? this was supposed to be the next big editor but I never heard about it after the hype 3 years ago

nvim is obviously superior to vim

this
vscode one doesn't work at all
jetbrains one has few features

is this deoplete or coc?

If you know emacs lisp and are willing to fix stuff.

Install xclip if you want easy copying and pasting to master clipboard.

Coc with coc-python module.

I like geany because I can download it on my windows machine I use for work and my personal parrot laptop I use for home.

False. Vim requires a vim runtime program to work. So in total its about 33 MB.
Neovim is just 20 MB.

Attached: 1566288084972.png (357x271, 19K)

witchmacs

comfy. made my own config starting from it

>30% smaller codebase
It's smaller because they removed code for ancient arches.

how many keyboards do you own?

Spacemacs took 7 seconds to boot on my machine.
Doom with far more modules took a whole 0.673 seconds.

>autistic anime shit on the website
yikes

you are the one with autism here

Attached: 82a042bbba3dda22dbf57f67219f0398.jpg (1400x1900, 205K)

By the way your 'int is_...(const char* ...)' functions don't correctly handle null pointer, and is_questioning doesn't work with 1-letter sentences.

>why yes I do use Acme, how could you tell?

Attached: OFJy8yiZ6GoqKSLnBvozq3sJBGLyGNIoTTMbHqYkRTQ.jpg (1080x1331, 109K)

impossible for brainlets like you. who cares if you don't use emacs, good riddance

You'll pry my vim away from my cold dead hands!

I also like VS Code.

>Currently, the appeal of Witchmacs is seeing a cute Marisa picture everytime you start up Emacs.
Absolutely based