Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: functionaltwins.png (1000x1000, 851K)

Other urls found in this thread:

misk.art/live
github.com/akavel/up
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

so LUKS didn't accept my password input this morning. wrong password et c. couldn't boot the system two reboots later it actually worked. what could have caused this? it's the same password I've used for several months.
(Debian 10)

fglt? mor elik faglit senpai :DDD

de benia

My laptop had a freeze and had to force shutdown it while running a game. Now it won't boot, can't boot in recovery mode. Created a live USB stick on my PC, but it shits out the same errors and won't let me boot even to the terminal, with text boot option. How fucked is my HDD? Can I fix it? Pic related, the error. Fun thing it just repeats every 120 seconds.

Attached: IMG_20190826_105510.jpg (3264x2448, 2.72M)

>Created a live USB stick on my PC, but it shits out the same errors
Are you sure it's the HDD? This sounds like something worse.

Fuck... Rip laptop then, I'm too dumb in hardware department to fix it.

stay on topic

It's probably still possible that it's the HDD... maybe it's just trying to register the device and drivers shit themselves. Try taking out the HDD and booting without it.

I'm trying to get the song name and title from an online radio to learn how unix shell works. This is what I wrote so far
#!/bin/sh
curl -s misk.art/live > /tmp/miskradio.txt

title=$(cat /tmp/miskradio.txt | grep 'span class="pl-item-title"' | head -n 1 | sed 's/.*">//;s///g' | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' | sed "s/^[ \t]*//")
artist=$(cat /tmp/miskradio.txt | grep 'span class="pl-item-artist"' | head -n 1 | sed 's/.*">//;s///g' | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' | sed "s/^[ \t]*//")
echo "$artist - $title"

for some reason the $artist variable doesn't show up in the output

Attached: earthboundzoomer.png (256x224, 4K)

you can avoid this by not playing games. rly user, stop wasting your time. make something out of your life. video games are for children.

github.com/akavel/up

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-26_12-34-38.png (648x412, 8K)

Sound more like a job for perl/awk.
curl -s misk.art/live | perl -E '
my $c=0;
while() {
if (/([^

Sexy anime girl might be enout to make me switch to Nix

a temp file? really? lol holy fuck retard

Use python for that kind of shit retard

dude I'm trying to learn as I said, you don't have to be a sad asshole
I'm not a programmer by any means, If you want to help like the title of this thread implies go ahead otherwise fuck off

>python
>for processing output with regex
>instead of perl
dumb zoomer

Attached: 40e26a0ce64ebfcc169f95be003530ba7d8c393c527fa355e2afed6afad35682.png (1140x642, 575K)

Retard lurk more

have sex
how sad do you have to be to spend your time picking on code of people who aren't programmers and don't even want it to be as efficient as possible and are just here to learn? Fucking hell, I'd kill myself if I were you

>suggests people use python for text processing
>calls others retarded
inb4 >I was merely pretending to be mentally deficient

cool stuff I'll check how I can use this

Attached: nix-guix.jpg (1200x680, 104K)

I found what was wrong, I just needed to change sed to this
sed 's/^.*">//;s/

you can avoid this by not lurking on Jow Forums. rly user, stop wasting your time. make something out of your life. 4channels are for virgins

Actually, looking at it, something like perl -nE 'BEGIN{ my $c=0;}; if (/

not that it matters that much, but would using perl for most of the script make it faster? I'm trying to see if learning perl is worth it over just piping into simple sed and awk

For pure greping, gnu grep is probably a tad faster. But I really do not think it matters, unless you need to sift through GBs of data. What makes perl great is it was made for processing textual input, which is why it has such a great regex and convenient syntax shortcuts. That and the -a -n and -E switches make it great even for smaller tasks. Afaik perl was basically supposed to be "awk, but better".

I'm going to install opensuse leap

To add to , of course that's assuming that sed/awk/grep does the job in one go. Be very careful with any loops in bash, if the amount of data is bigger than small.

I pulled out the hdd, can run system from live USB, so I guess this means I can just change the drive and go on living?

anyone here use cmus? Is there a way to change the display so that instead of ordering by artist/album it just shows every listed subdirectory? A few of my albums have shocking tags that throw everything off

Install Fedora GNU like all productive developers do.

>grandma gets hit by Windows update destroying thunderbird profile
>set up dumb machine
>unity with auto full screen
>perma bar with nothing but firefox, thunderbird, word in wine, filebrowser
>Filebrowser/user has only access to Documents, Pictures, Downloads, etc.
>Notifications disabled, logs are send to my server
>ssh for remote control
Anyone got some tips/ideas what I may be missing? The goal is obviously an absolute boomer meme machine that won't change the next 5years at least.

Attached: 1563162143886.jpg (3996x2250, 864K)

excel? also why not just give her libre office? its better than word in every way. in fact its m$ that doesnt conform to their own standard properly. might she need a music player? what about a torrent client?

>excel?
Read grandma, never used that.
>why not just give her libre office?
Because that's what she always used and her colleagues are still using. I'm not inflicting change where it doesn't need to be.
>might she need a music player?
There's mvp as default.
>what about a torrent client?
See excel.

shit i dont know man, my grandfather uses excel all the time. *mpv wont organise stuff, perhaps yabox or whatever its called. does she use vim or emacs? dont forget to install it

I have only legacy boot debian installed, but there is leftover efi windows entry. Can I delete it without installing an EFI distribution? Is there usb bootable software for this?

make a debian live usb and delete it using efibootmgr
most distros nowadays support booting the live cd in efi mode
it'll probably go like this:
>efibootmgr
>efibootmgr --bootnum 0123 --delete-bootnum
if you have a leftover efi boot partition, you might have to delete windows' files from there too

Disable all shortcuts except those she uses, and maybe those that are nearly impossible to hit accidentally.

Looks like it

kernel is hung up while trying to fsck the filesystem
could be a hardware problem, though you're likely to have gotten messages from your sata driver or whatever if that was the case
it could also be unfortunate filesystem corruption
i don't like taking chances with filesystem issues, back it up and reinstall it
if it does the same thing with a fresh installation, then it's probably a hardware issue, try another disk to see if it's the disk or the computer

Is it foolish to make the root user's HOME directory be my own $HOME, if I'm the only one using this computer?

I just think it would be more simple if root could read my dotfiles

I don't know if this is a horrible idea and what negative repercussions it might have, please enlighten me.

Attached: skeleicecream.gif (500x500, 1.05M)

don't do this
if you want specific configs available to root, copy them, or symlink them
anything root creates, your user won't be able to read, this will also break things like logging in as root via ssh, because there's no way to make the permissions on ~/.ssh work for more than one user

If you use symlinks, you'll also probably want to use ACL, so that if/when root saves something in a config directory, your user will still have r/w access to it.
setfacl -dR -m u:user:rwX foo/bar/config
setfacl -R -m u:user:rwX foo/bar/config

What OS do you have? Do you have ALSA? Jack server runs on all Linux-like systems.
>This is why you use Windows or Mac for content creation.
This is why you learn more about your operating system before complaining on the internet. If your Jack server can't run, get your shit together. This is a major malfunction.
>In a professional environment.
Professionals configure their workstation themselves, that's why they have a "professional environment".

like all Red Hat test rats do.

who cares, seriously? he's going to install a 1000th corporate "distro".

How to change a DVD-RW's label name?

yesss

Attached: nixos-hires.png (1346x392, 50K)

eelco is the most based developper

is he going to make "flakepacks" instead of flatpaks or what

flakes are still a WIP concept
he no longer decides where nix is heading but he did come up with the idea. Right now the idea is still in discussion in the RFC github page. They won't start actually developping it until community memebers meet irl in a conference and choose to commit the RFC.
You can join the discussion if you wish

But yeah flakes will probably be added. It will add even more flexibility to nix

I hope flatpak, snap, appimage etc will be no more.

eh they're probably never going away. Nix isn't very big on being normie friendly
But I don't mind flatpaks. They're the least shit of those three

the word "never" sounds funny in the foss realm.

Only thread that I can think of to help. I can't post on any board on firefox, keep getting pic related. Anyone know a fix?

Attached: 20190826_145555.jpg (1080x1127, 1.37M)

make that window bigger until you see the empty box.

both are true

Still no box

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-26 (43) v - Just brought Pathologic HD off of Gog, what am I i - Video Games - 4c (855x880, 30K)

are you not using javascript on purpose?

this is how it is supposed to look
check if you have some ad blockers enabled

forgot pic

Attached: window.png (334x534, 17K)

are you blocking JS while not selecting Jow Forums X's nojs captcha option?

This was the problem, thanks.

Had JS

Thanks for the help lads, appreciate it.

Thinking of converting my old T400 into a plex server, what distro is good?

JEEZ-LOUISE, TAKE A BREAK FROM YOUR PETRIFIED DINOSAUR TURD DISTRO, SUPPORT THE TRUE NEXT GENERATION OF FREE OPERATING SYSTEMS, INSTALL NIX AND GUIX FOR A CHANGE

Attached: 2340213490902345.jpg (615x826, 114K)

this is /fglt/.

>purely declarative packaging

Attached: frequncy.jpg (960x596, 119K)

Looking for a basic no thrills mpd gui client
I've used sonata for a decade but its not longer supported and currently broken, so if anything looks like that, that would be ideal.

how long should it take for mpv to start playing youtube videos? for me its ~20 seconds, but on luke smith videos they start within 3 or 4 seconds
how could that be?

mine used to take like 10 seconds, then i got a faster internet connection, now it takes about 5 seconds

for me, it's Arch

depends on internet speed and video quality
luke smith uploads in pretty low resolutions
for me its never above 5 seconds usually

Anyone here using an rss client that theyd recommend?

i use newsboat, does the job
disclaimer: it's the only rss reader i've used

Could someone remind me how these two lines of sed would work?
sed -e '1,/START OF THIS PROJECT GUTENBERG/d'
sed -e '/End of Project Gutenberg/,$d'

good old newsboat

Attached: 2019-08-26-17:29:21.png (1366x768, 582K)

fyi you posted your auth token

it's not mine
it's some other guy on reddit that posted it on reddit for all to use. At least 5000 people use that same token

ah.

"Distros" are fetish objects and mean absolutely nothing, to tell the truth.

except source based ones of course

well, I agree, but there's hardly a dozen of source-based distros, versus literally a thousand of generic distros

Anyone made a Flatpak before? I'm working on my first one, but running into something dumb when trying to add a local directory as a source. I have the directory in my manifest with "type": "dir" and the path, but the build fails because that apparently doesn't actually provide access to the contents of the directory. Is there seriously not a way of including every file in a directory other than listing them all individually in the manifest?

does nonjs captcha in 4chanx still work? it gives me an error when i have scripts enabled in umatrix and does not load at all when i have them disabled

typing it incorrectly.

This RHEL VM I imported on VirtualBox gets stuck in this step during startup. Sometimes the message doesn't appear completely but it says something about finishing up certificates. I was wondering if you guys knew how to fix it, what should I do? ;_;

It works fine in my main computer with 16GB RAM but on my laptop with 8GB this happens.

Attached: rhel.png (578x24, 1K)

can one successfully use non-linux disc burning software in WINE?

i would try qemu
there's probably a way to make it use your cd burner
at least usb devices can be passed through pretty easily

Why would you do that when plenty of linux-based alternatives exist? Or are you just a babby duck who needs Nero Burning Rom 2009 edition?

>mfw these cuties were probably drawn on windows using proprietary software
just like the debian logo

probably something to do with the video drivers, it's trying to show gdm but fails. What versions of VirtualBox are you using on your desktop and laptop? What's wrong with QEMU?

>these cuties were probably drawn on windows using proprietary software
who gives a fuck? Foss software is not a sect, it's an option.

>What versions of VirtualBox are you using on your desktop and laptop?
Had 5.2 in my laptop and 6 in my desktop. Installed the new one and it worked.

running gentoo, my wifi worked until i updated. my card (qualcomm atheros QCA9377) shows up in lspci but it does not show in /sys/class/net

Eyo, any pointers on how to get tap to click working on my touchpad? Two finger scrolling does work
It's an elantech touchpad and I'm running Debian 10 with XFCE

post interactive bash usability tweaks
# ~/.bashrc
set -o noclobber
shopt -s globstar

# ~/.profile
export LESS="WQiM"

# ~/.inputrc
set completion-ignore-case on

Nevermind, I got it done

stop using bash