When is AMD going to unfuck their opengl implementations so I can play 10 year old games at playable framerates?

When is AMD going to unfuck their opengl implementations so I can play 10 year old games at playable framerates?

Attached: 1525472602250.gif (800x600, 174K)

Other urls found in this thread:

informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html
valid.x86.fr/dkzhvg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Probably when OpenGL becomes relevant again?
That is, never.

Literally never, they basically confirmed its not an active issue they're working on

dont think they will, the root cause to the shitty OpenGL implementation is the lack of good multithread support, therefore all your nice cores idling away...

and since AMD went full Vulkan (which has good multithread support) they probably just keep it rotten..

Well, I'm confirming my next card will be Nvidia then, lol

lool

>play 10 year old game at playable frame rate
Name one game which doesn't hit over 150fps even on Rx 570.

Warhammer Chaos Gate doesnt even start

Works for me.

AMDrones BTFO lmao

They'll never going to fix it.. they didn't even when web browser used it, then angle was created (for browsers) so you can have a conformant OpenGL ES implementation running over whatever api is implemented right on the card (usually, and sadly, direct3d) so they have no pressure anymore to fix it.

I really hate angle.

Install Linux if you want working AMD drivers

i had a seizure. thnaks op

Linux is a kernel

Imagine being this fucking retarded

Sure thing enjoy your 2fps Nouveau.
OpenGL is dead legacy code, Vulkan is the future.

>OpenGL is dead legacy code
Imagine being this retarded.

>Vulkan

Enjoy your input lag.

Idiot, why would vulkan have input lag? If anything, you have access to a lower-level language.
Imagine being stuck in the past and crying nobody is joining in on your nostalgia.

>access to a lower-level language

Attached: Driblet.png (403x448, 53K)

Moron, ever wrote a line of vulkan?

On Windows? Never. Almost all games use DirectX, or recently Vulkan, so no incentive for AMD to make gaming-oriented OpenGL drivers.
Their Radeon Pro GPUs have very good standards-compliant OpenGL drivers, but they are not focused on gaming and the GPUs are a lot more expensive as well.
Linux, on the other hand, has very good AMD OpenGL drivers, by virtue of not having DirectX at all.

Yes, and the drivers depend on the kernel you retard.

You dont NEED multithreading for low overhead opengl. Several developers did dozens of presentations on it, some guest featuring nvidia. Meanwhile AMD cant even keep things fixed, they literally had issues fixed only to break them again and worse. What a fucking joke

Linux is a family of UNIX-like operating systems.

Vulkan is a c API it is not even remotely a different language

You don't deserve to live.

Since Linux is a kernel it cannot be installed. The kernel by itself cannot work or be loaded from disk let alone run an opengl application.

Not an argument.
OpenGL has a sufficient number of data structures and methods to work on them to abstract away implementations. Vulkan lets you do finer manipulations.

see
You can also install a .deb of the linux kernel.

Vulkan is still not a different language

Attached: gif.gif (395x520, 1.69M)

I have an RX580

Starsector drops to 40fps at times and that's just rendering 2D sprites
SecondLife struggles to hit 30fps on a good day

Those are the two that have most impacted me, but I've played other old games which have had similar issues. The fact that I'm not getting even 60fps on these two very old games on modern hardware is unbelievable.

And when I looked into why - the answer I keep finding is that AMD has a poor implementation of opengl and anything that uses it just sucks for AMD.

How are the AMD drivers on linux more functional than on windows? Aren't they open source? Shouldn't that mean they're more easily ported to windows? I've got linux installed, but never thought of trying it out for games.

It provides the necessary abstractions and primitives to be a language. You don't 'return' or 'printf()' an image, you render it by calling the appropriate functions. It's single purpose so you can use it as a language by itself.

RDNA already fixed it mostly

>Since Linux is a kernel it cannot be installed.
That's just plain false.
>The kernel by itself cannot work or be loaded from disk
Actually it can. With BIOS you can jump right into a statically configured kernel, and UEFI allows you to boot from an EFI shim.
Bootloaders are really just a convenience.
>let alone run an opengl application.
It can. If the application is statically linked it can be executed right from the kernel in the same way init is ran during boot.

Why are hardline GNU/Fags always so clueless about technology?

Modern OpenGL, with a custom pipeline, is just as handy and efficient as any other. Combines with libraries such as OpenAL, SDL2 and GLM almost seamlessly and can do everything DirectX can, unless of course it's sabotaged by cretins such as AMD. Its only major flaw is that it's not thread-safe (in fact, you can't use it at all in more than one thread), but that can be worked around by simply having one core dedicated to rendering.

Recombinant DNA?

>tell someone to install linux
>the deb version
>already needs to be running Linux
>asking someone to install linux when they already use it
This is new levels of stupid. Your position isn't even hard to argue yet you dig yourself a hole anyway.

Radeon DNA, aka Navi

>one core dedicated to rendering
Not good enough, look at older games trying to run on 1440p or 4k.
If I tell someone to install linux, he'll download an ubuntu .iso. Inside, you can run a .deb and effectively install the linux kernel. The linux kernel is literally installable.

>Shouldn't that mean they're more easily ported to windows?
No. Drivers depend heavily on the kernel.
In fact BSDs do these ports by making a Linux-compatibility wrapper.
Porting to Windows would be very hard since it doesn't have Unix-like semantics.

>C API
>new language
The best you could hope to argue is the API is includes an API for a new language. You might be referring to SPIRV. Bet ya didn't know that OpenGL supports SPIRV too.

Attached: 1537519155932.jpg (306x306, 18K)

>It can
Not without userland. *cough* mesa *cough*

u welcome

ps its my wallpaper

Am I the only one with this world view? When I draw a polygon on screen, I don't think about pixels or some shitty framebuffer, or POSIX.... I literally draw a polygon on the screen. It's a language you use to draw things. Just like you can write an operating system in C and have modules in Mercury to figure out what drivers you need.

>If I tell someone to install linux, he'll download an ubuntu .iso
No he'll see tons of distros that all apparently are Linux and then leave confused.

>statically
Currently, there are no statically linked videogames or linux releases. All popular linux distros come with a dynamic kernel.

>implies vulkan comes with an exclusive language especially compared to opengl
>when wrong changes goalpost to how amazing it is you can program GPUs using a language.
Yeah we have been able to run code on GPUs for a while now. Welcome to this century.

Actually, most of the work is done by the kernel module.
Userland Mesa mostly consists of libraries, which can be statically compiled into the binary, and useless things like X11 drivers which you don't need.
You're moving the goalposts.
I'm just claiming you CAN do it, not that you should, nor that any big distro ships it by default.
But it certainly is possible to run something on a bare Linux kernel without userland.

is there a reason why nobody (AMD included) has made open source drivers for windows? Is that some kind of microsoft shittery?

You can't do it because it hasn't been proven or demonstrated. You can't do it because you can't go out and actually do it. You're arguing about some hypotheticals.

Not OpenGL's fault either. You imply it by yourself, they weren't made to run at those resolutions.

>changes goalpoast
Vulkan API literally creates the Vulkan language. You can, using standard Vulkan fnctions, manipulate data structures more precisely than with the opengl functions.

>which can be statically compiled into the binary, and useless things like X11 drivers which you don't need.
Hmm OK has anyone done this before? Very interested now.

They weren't made because people assumed one core would be enough. If it was a solution that scaled, it would scale.

>Vulkan API literally creates the Vulkan language
What exactly is your definition of a language and why isn't (insert some API) a new language?

suckless used to have statically linked distros but they quit because it's idiotic and useless unless you want one single environment where you don't upgrade your DE or install new drivers.

I am using GLFW language, C language, OpenGL ES 2.0 language and libsoundio language to combine them into a language of my indie video game, which people on Steam are going to buy with dollar languages.

It is. APIs provide levels of abstractions. So if I make a command line app, I'll write the drawing in ncurses, not in combinatorial configurations of printf().

But when used strictly for rendering (basically just OpenGL calls and buffer swapping) it's more than enough.

Yes. It's highly likely that access to information critical for kernel driver development requires a legally binding NDA for the developer. After all, examining Windows kernel, even for security and compliance purposes, is only possible on a special air-gapped machine at your regional M$ office.
Therefore, as any open-source driver implementation will, by necessity, disclose interesting details about kernel interfaces in its source code, such drivers are not approved by M$ and are not legally possible.

None of this prevents malware developers from analyzing the Windows kernel for exploitable bugs (not that it was supposed to, but M$ shills may make such an argument).

Oh fuck off. The technology to do it exists, but there's no use case beyond jerkoffmanship.
Not exactly this, but someone ran emacs on bare Linux to prove emacs is indeed an operating system.
informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html

>the technology
The statement "You can ....." is wrong.

>AMD cards won't play my favorite games
>They're old so you shouldn't be playing them anyway
All fanboys are cancer, but AMD seems to attract the worst of them

I imagine it has to do with the fact that the people writing open-source drivers gravitate towards open-source operating systems.

Vulkan is dead.
Literally no new AAA games come out with Vulkan support.

Attached: 2019-08-26-193329_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 26K)

Kek
Didn't answer my question. What makes something a language?

A set of primitive types and functions over those types. C is a language, flutter is too.

Interesting, probably for the best
>emacs is indeed an operating system
though.
Based af

OpenGL is a language too then by your definition.

OP here and I really just expected a reply like it at some point. It's not even that bad or cancerous really.

I want to play old games. I bought an AMD gpu not realizing that they suck with opengl compared to nvidia and I got burned. Old games are basically 95% of what I play, with the odd new title here and in either case it seems nvidia is the choice for actual performance.

Another complaint I have with AMD besides their opengl sucking, is their control panel. It looks great, but it removed all control - I can't tweak or fiddle with game settings like I used to, and the features while presented in a better way, are unrobust and more difficult/less usable than nvidia's equivalent (e.g. shadowplay).

At this point I'm just going to keep the AMD card for linux installations and swap back to nvidia for playing games. I gave AMD a chance and they're lacking.

Neither Vulkan nor OpenGL nor any other library provide any primitive types.
There are only these primitive types:
>char
>signed char
>unsigned char
>short
>unsigned short
>int
>unsigned
>long
>unsigned long
>long long
>unsigned long long
>float
>double
>long double
That's it.

s/library/library or API/

Yes, I absolutely agree.
That's a C shortcoming easily fixed by a few typedefs. Function and variable names are used to hint at the meanings and usecases instead - Shader, Vector, etc.

No.
Typedef's are not primitive types.
They are aliases to primitive types, or non-primitive types (structs and unions).

Attached: 2019-08-26-194420_689x648_scrot.png (689x648, 139K)

Just use a third party OpenGL lib

They are not primitive types to C functions, but they are primitive types in the abstract of OpenGL or Vulkan. According to Alexander Stepanov, a value type is a pair of representation and interpretation. char, int, etc provide the series of 0s and 1s, however a char is not necessarily a pixel. a pixel_t is (to the programmer). Better language such as C++ don't have a barrier and correctly keep up the invariants of types, I cannot print pixel_t to the screen without a custom overload. C blurs this line.

Vulkan and OpenGL are not languages unto themselves but a part of a functioning graphics acceleration system that I have recently taken to calling Vulkan/SPIRV, OpenGL/GLSL, and OpenGL/SPIRV

Goodbye

Think you're funny, tard?

>Old games are basically 95% of what I play
What games do you play that actually use opengl instead of DX7-9?

I already posted them: Starsector and SecondLife

>SecondLife
yiff in hell

You can't just assume peoples fetishes like that user

I'm into robots

they also said they were scraping dx9, which is still the API of the majority of PC gaming library
clowned and punked as they say

>SecondLife
Pick one regardless stay out furry

>I'm into robots

Attached: latest[1].jpg (1280x720, 129K)

>they also said they were scraping dx9
Can I get a source on that claim user?

He's misinterpreting something on the amdumb forum

Which CPU?
Not saying that opengl has good optimisation or that CPU is limiting but just want to know.

All of which are implemented in the same syntax and language constructs of C. It's not a new language, it's a C library.

>constructs of C
Implementation details. Actually, std::string is defined only by its standards and every library engineer has total freedom of implementation, as long as it fits the specs. You could make one with SOO of 1 megabyte and it would work. What happens underneath is of no concern to me when I cout a string.

Here, cpu-z link: valid.x86.fr/dkzhvg

it's a 2700x with AMD's auto overclock thing and a slight undervolt in the BIOS.

p.s. I get almost the same performance in SL/Starsector with my GTX 660 as I do with the RX580.

Unfortunately this makes it really hard to buy an AMD card ever, because it fucks you over for emulation in many cases.

What do you mean?

>>>/clang/

what game is this?

Not a game I got it from Jow Forums somewhere

>Second life
kys furfag/pedophile