/matrix/ to uncuck them all

>what is matrix
Matrix is an open source project that publishes the Matrix open standard for secure, decentralized, real-time communication, and its Apache licensed reference implementations.

>what clients exist
Riot.im is the most popular client but there is something for everyone
matrix.org/clients

Time to finally ditch Signal or Discord or whatever you use for this new open standard.

Attached: matrix.png (826x271, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git.pattle.im/pattle/app
halogen.city
youtube.com/watch?v=s_m16-w6bBI
blog.bitwarden.com/bitwarden-completes-third-party-security-audit-c1cc81b6d33?gi=41cbfd516df6
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6916860
hackerfall.com/story/a-crypto-challenge-for-the-telegram-developers-1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Riot.im is the most popular client
riot is pajeet tier code created by npc trannies
it also looks like shit is impossible to use

>Riot.im
>(((electron))) app
no thanks op

I found this from their website. It at least looks like whats app so normies can use it.
git.pattle.im/pattle/app

Attached: pattle.png (1089x602, 147K)

> whats app
>wanting normies to use your platform

unironically kys yourself

>hurr durr normies bad
Nobody will use it otherwise. Also have sex.

This shit is dead and as fuck and he software itself is even slower. The only usable client is riot which looks and functions far worse than discord. Just use GNU Jami until matrix actually gets good in like 2 years. Also no servers lmao

Attached: 1566830833106.jpg (200x200, 14K)

Is it bad if I have run a matrix-synapse server for years now but have never federated and use it as a chat server only for my personal friends, family, etc

>>wanting normies to use your platform
consider the following:
normalfags start using this
you have to talk to one because you exist in the universe
instead of having to use whatsapp, or dm on whatever is hip with the kids nowadays you can just use whatever terminal client or weechat extension or whatever you want

keeping things which are good away from everyone is a bad idea
they make up a large portion of the population and that means something as to what occurs relating to the population that you both belong to
it's like how the default operating system on laptops makes businesses make different decisions, even if that's not such a direct cause
that affects YOU, even if it's something someone else does
would you rather a world where everyone uses facesnap or whatschat
or a world where you can use matrix for everything but other people use a client you don't like

Pretty much this.
But you really should check out it actually looks good and seems to still be in active development

>The only usable client is riot
>usable

Yeah no riot can fuck off it's really bad
this unironically looks good if it's like in the pic

comfy

Attached: 1549915997362.jpg (1818x1750, 500K)

what's the point of these if i have no one to talk to

Attached: 1550936389927.png (824x542, 202K)

normies ruined the internet.
golden age ended over 10 years ago and now we must suffer

Attached: Ben 10.jpg (541x540, 26K)

>have sex
dilate

bump

synapse server is impossible to install, tried with both the debian package and the ansible docker deploy script

Why would I use matrix when I can use Tox

I use telegram, the best messenger

You still can't make sub text rooms or voice rooms, that is pretty bad if you want it to be a discord competitor. Other than that it's pretty good. It's extremely late, however. Just about everyone will still use whatsapp, messenger, telegram, discord, etc. Not even the 10 people using IRC will bother switching at this point.

Attached: sadpanda.jpg (260x260, 12K)

This. Whatever happened to the notion of wanting the best for your fellow Volkskamerad?
>Has the technology Jew already atomized you?

Ohhh just fuck open source. Now every schmuck thinks he's hot.

Why would I use this over signal, telegram or xmpp/omemo?

This is some new wave faggot shit for cucks who want to feel like they're dues ex. No one gives a shit about your bot net meme tech.
Based
Based
Based
Redpilled

>install it, create account
>look through the channel list
>enter two
>first one seems to have lurkers only, no one even talks
>got kicked out from the second one because i didn't greet someone in the right subchannel within five minutes
and this is why discord won.

DECENTRALIZED
Discord has no place anywhere. I think the best part of matrix is how dumb easy it is to register in the protocol. No phone number, no e-mail, no bullshit.

To be fair I only have similar experiences with discord

>signal
non-federated, no multi-device usage, inferior group chat, unreleased (not self-hostable) voice server, no fully FOSS clients on the official network (only the official build of Signal with Google spyware allowed), tied to a phone number
>telegram
not federated unreleased server (not self-hostable), shitty homebrew encryption shenanigans, inferior encrypted group chat, tied to a phone number
>xmpp/omemo
poor interop with various clients, hard to get all users to use compatible features, inferior encrypted group chat

i was in one discord channel two years ago (crypto related) and it was a nice experience, from a human perspective.

There's a billion people with hot takes or another chat service they want to push because it's the cult they got roped into by shitposts. Don't bother engaging with them, and try Matrix with a client best suited to your needs and system. Lightweight options are available and well maintained, and there's a weechat plug-in even if you want to preserve a pure tiling WM CLI environment. Please feel free to check out halogen.city if you are interested in Matrix. If you like other protocols or are interested in them too, that's OK: Matrix already has bridges to a bunch of popular protocols and services that predate it, like IRC and Discord. Anyone telling you that you have to chose between Matrix and something else is being deceitful; Matrix is designed with interoperability and bridging in mind.

If you want de-centralized chat just use GunDB. It's a P2P version of Firebase and is reactive.

youtube.com/watch?v=s_m16-w6bBI

Cringe

Not really. It's made by a white man and not a bunch of street shitting pajeets.

>signal
But it fucking WORKS with 0 issues.
>telegram
But it fucking WORKS with 0 issues.
>inferior encrypted chat
Why and how?

Telegram rolled their own crypto, a big no-no. It also doesn't encrypt by default, a big no-no. I also don't believe there's been an audit.

Not who you were asking, btw.

Why don't people just go and audit? Or has omemo been audited as well? Where can I even read audit logs?

Not all companies publish their audits, even if they announce them. Those that do make them pretty easy to find. Here's Bitwarden's, for example: blog.bitwarden.com/bitwarden-completes-third-party-security-audit-c1cc81b6d33?gi=41cbfd516df6

Also, audits are expensive. You're paying an entire team of security episodes to go along your code with a fine toothed comb to find vulnerabilities. It costs upwards of $10k.

cool I should become a auditer

> But it fucking WORKS with 0 issues.
Until you want to:
>self-host
>use other clients
>ensure (meta)data doesn't leave your devices
>future-proof
>bridge with other services
>extend the protocol
etc.

>Why and how?
Signal protocol's encryption is good, but scales poorly with a large amount of participants in a room and also doesn't permit decryption at later time (i.e. no server-side history storage and no access to old history on new devices). Matrix bypasses both of these with an additional layer around the base double ratchet encryption (that makes the security slightly worse, since compromise of a key in a certain state also compromises a few messages after it instead of just one message, but not *that* horrible). Device cross-signing is also under development and will mitigate the annoyance that is verifying each device of every participant separately.

Matrix and XMPP are the only viable chat platforms because they're the only really federated ones. Don't fall for centralized software that can shut down and ruin everything at any moment, or that gives one corporation absolute control over all users that use the protocol. Email is federated and it's still the most universal communication protocol around; for anything to come even close, it has to be decentralized too.

Telegram devs don't care. This is what they fall back to when confronted about their shitty encryption:
>news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6916860
>The team behind Telegram, led by Nikolai Durov, consists of six ACM champions, half of them Ph.Ds in math. It took them about two years to roll out the current version of MTProto.
Also, apparently they prefer to just challenge people to crack a very specific interaction instead of bothering with audits:
>hackerfall.com/story/a-crypto-challenge-for-the-telegram-developers-1

FYI, Signal's double ratchet algorithm has been formally analyzed and Matrix's Olm has also been audited (and the results published).

Telegram does encrypt by default. Every chat and group chat is encrypted. It is not end-to-end encrypted though.

However secret chats are. I think it is a good compromise though. It really increases ease of use by quite a bit.

The main problem with Telegram is a complete lack of being able to self host the backend. (Or any real transparency about the backend at all).

>Every chat and group chat is encrypted
Client-server transport encryption isn't as much a feature as a base necessity of any modern communication tool. It only ensures that the data isn't intercepted by a MITM, such as your ISP or the kid ARP spoofing the entire public access point network, not that the service provider can't see everything you do. Discord also has transport encryption, but that doesn't really score it any meaningful points.

You have been visited by Vixen Dyatlov.

This thread is currently reading 39 replies (not great, not terrible).

Attached: Laura.jpg (1275x637, 107K)