Filthy disgusting startup rats

>"unlimited vacation"
>lunch and learns
>open office spaces
>passionate about test-driven development and unit testing

Attached: somesmugface.png (1024x1014, 268K)

I don't really mind open office spaces it's something you just adapt to. But lunch and learns are shit

Attached: 25e4cb22c3e294d669606a4769281915.jpg (891x1246, 580K)

>unlimited vacation
You mean unemployment?

don't forget the legendary ping pong table nobody uses because they get strange looks from their co workers

this

fucking this

And the gaming room with the free snacks and beer fridge that nobody is allowed to step into without getting fired.

>not enjoying a game of smash with your CTO after working 4h overtime

>unpaid overtime

good goyim, keep up the good work here's some nintendo and onions

Start up promises should only be looked at with the paycheck. If you spend more than 1 year getting a sweet ass paycheck from them then you've stayed on the sinking ship too long.

>work startup
>125k/yr 12 month contract
>bretty good for my area
>work it 1 year offer comes in for lower but "Awesome benefits!"
>nope.exe
>have 2.5-3(65k) years of fuck off money to go dick around in SEA and shit for a while

My work is far from a start up but we have this for salaried employees. Its not a great as it sounds. There's nothing to track your time off so it's up to you to make sure you take it. It's proven that this policy results in less time taken off by employees.

The biggest red flag of all:
>catered meals

> It's proven that this policy results in less time taken off by employees.

I suspected this the whole time, since it has been true for myself for both of previous startup jobs

>start up hounding me for a job
>we provide lunches every day!
>talk with friend there
>everyday is in super *****"""(((())))""""*****
>turns out meals are just left overs from Jasons Deli, Jimmy Johns, or some other BS place that they got catering that morning for clients
>can't eat it till after 2PM
>either gone or shit by that time
>other "catered" meals are just owners wifes left overs from "cooking"

>passionate about test-driven development and unit testing

Anybody who declares such a thing unironically should be neutered

I mean its cool if you stay on top of it and plan out 3-4 weeks a year to take off. But yeah i haven't even taken a full week off this year. I need to get better at tracking it.

Jesus Christ

>dude it's not work i swear

This is just the sweet flavoring to make the bitter medicine easier to swallow.

As a NEET can you explain this to me? What's preventing you from planning a 4 week trip and just going whenever you're int he mood?

wtf i said onions not onions

Being fired.

You want your PTO to be documented. You want it specified in writing, and you should be able to see your "balance" at all times using PeopleSoft or whatever HR software they use.
Then you should be allowed to use it as necessary since you are fully in compliance with company policies.
If the company doesn't allocate PTO, it's just "unlimited" (with lots of quotes) then there's nothing stopping your boss from saying you're taking too much time off and firing you.

You must be new here.

this

plus there's never a good time to take a vacation at a startup since everyone has a high bus factor and shit's always breaking because it's rushed using some bullshit dynamically typed language written by people straight out of college or at max 4 years XP, with maybe 1 good programmer in the whole team.

So I'll also add this:
I did the startup scene for a few years and I loved it.
It's incredible to be on the "ground floor", where every single decision you make has an impact that is seen almost instantaneously.
Yes you work long hours and the pay isn't amazing, but if you're passionate about the product and you enjoy your coworkers then you generally don't mind.
It's like playing MMOs when you're a kid. Sure it's a ton of fun, but as you grow up it's not possible any more.
Startups were a ton of fun, but now that I'm older with a wife and kids and dogs, I can't work 16 hour days and sustain myself solely on takeout, beer, and energy drinks.

Working for big companies isn't nearly as exciting, you're not nearly as interested in the products, but it's far more stable and the pay is better.

>work 16 hour days and sustain myself solely on takeout, beer, and energy drinks
...b-but im broke and do this, youre telling me theres no escape?

>goes back
>3 years employment gap
>resume never looked at again

there is one escape

Attached: 1556561505021.png (640x626, 97K)

>employment gap

For something that long you put in "consulting" there, where you put in some "projects" that's really the stuff you were dicking around with and learning a bit about.

You seem to be slightly confused. Other than the ""unlimited vacation"" because we can't afford to pay you market value (but actually counting the days and scaling your pay and options accordingly), everything else are FANG shit, not start-up shit. I WISH we had test-driven methodologies and actual unit tests. But we're so understaffed to the complexity of our code, we're lucky to get to test in production. And we've been trying to get some lunch and learns going for months, to get these fresh-off-the-boat idiots some knowledge of how to correctly use GIT and AWS, but they're too busy constantly fighting fires of their own creation to have the time.

>link to my github full of minecraft mods

More like
>I can't give you the code for that, it's owned by a company that I signed an NDA with

If you go through a contracting agency it's a non issue, most will just want to make sure you're current. Never had an issue so long as I could explain it without bullshitting them.

My excoworker is doing 1 year off and already has offers from us and others when he comes back from his world adventure

>NDA means you cant say you worked for a company

I get 30 days vacation at a regular company

the fags getting unlimited get to take like 10 days tops

If your job is actually important then you'll find that there is very rarely a good opportunity to take time off. You will always have hot projects and if you're not there it either doesn't get done, gets done wrong, or some other poor sap has to pick up your slack.
Unless you plan your time off well in advance there will always be something keeping you at work, unless you just don't give a shit, and that's when fear of getting fired comes into play.

wrong. normal companies with normal vacation encourage you to use your allotted days up. "unlimited" is cancer.

Once I'm done with uni I'm going to try to get hired at one of these unlimited vacation places, then when my probation period ends...

Attached: 1562324975007.png (1100x644, 89K)

That's actually happened to me.
The NDA said I couldn't say who I worked for, what I worked on, where the office was, who my coworkers were, and then a bunch of oddly specific things like I couldn't describe the shape, color, or features of the keycard used to get into the building.

Dumb newfag

Attached: 1566630257912.jpg (818x792, 41K)

nice

Man, having to work sounds like hell.
Good thing the bug people seem to enjoy it.

Anyone else get dog therapy and office egg and spoon races?

>unlimited vacation
>there's crunchtime coming up, i can't give you those days sorry
>take days anyway
>get fired
>they didn't give me days off because they need me but now I'm fired so i won't come back
What is the logic in that?
Either way, it's refreshing to know they need me more than I need them, I'm really enjoying neeting it up rn

No, most will keep quiet and hope you let them expire.
You're entitled to take them as a lump paycheck in the event you can't take the days off but still want your vacation pay.

It's like in sports too. I had good athletes I coached, but if I had to punish them I did. Doesn't matter if I need them in the game, if I need to teach him a lesson about say mouthing off or something else he did bad then I'll do it. They need you, but also to set an example and make it known.

I had a job with unlimited PTO, and I took a total of about 4 weeks of vacation in the first year, which is unheard of in Bürgerland.

>go dick around in SEA and shit for a while
based. how many ladyboys did you fuck?

they never needed you, just expect you to never take vacation. incredibly toxic environment. if you're not busy at your job, ALWAYS, then your management is failing.

The fuck? America sounds like a hellscape.
The minimum amount of PTO you're given here is 4 weeks plus 13 days of public holidays.

So you take a 50% paycut but at least you get 1 extra week of vacation!

...they fire you anyway because they only operate in places with no worker protections

Can you stop being retarded for one goddamn second or is that too much to ask?