Do you wear protection or risk it with raw dog?

Do you wear protection or risk it with raw dog?

Attached: 1477584378_1248191.jpg (2500x2500, 440K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sma.nasa.gov/news/articles/newsitem/2018/01/10/esd-wireless-wrist-straps-the-shocking-truth
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I wear that around my neck and ground it to my senpai

>when your girlfriend puts the strap on

>not using superior and stylish wireless version

Attached: 1-Pc-Wireless-Anti-Static-Wrist-Strap-Anti-Static-Bracelet-to-Remove-The-Body-Static-Elimination.jpg (640x640, 63K)

I raw dog, but Plan B by touching the PSU screws every time I pause for thought.

Raw.

I use my penis to ground myself on the case

I just touch the case before I handle any of the electronics, and don't have any carpet in my place so it's probably fine.

I was building a new toaster and when I tried to start it, the power button on the case flashed and then suddenly turned off and the toaster would not turn on. I believe I may have short circuited the motherboard (Shitty MSI anyways) by not wearing one of these.

(Need a new motherboard by the way. Any recommendations? No expensive nu-gayming crap with spergLEDs either. DDR4 and Ryzen CPU)

how hard is it to just touch the case frequently and not move around too much on carpet in between touches?

At home no, at work yes. We meet ESD compliance standards. All the benches have ESD mats with wrist straps, everything is properly grounded. We have ESD testers you stand on and they tell you if you pass/fail. Static dissipative flooring. The works really. ESD is a real concern for high volume production of critical instruments and measurement equipment for industries where a lot of money or people's lives are at stake if our equipment fails.

Home PC builds? Static isn't a big deal. Just don't go rubbing your feet on carpet before you touch your motherboard and you'll most likely be fine.

> Do you wear protection or risk it with raw american?
Ftfy

FYI, touching your case to dissipate static only works if the case is plugged in. The chassis needs to be connected to Earth ground. If it's floating with respect to ground it's not gonna do shit. The only static charge you'll dissipate is whatever you dissipate normally in leakage current through the air to ground (very small).

Never used one, built many computers and I haven't fried anything yet.

Why? Every thread, out of fucking nowhere, the Jow Forums nigger appears, trying to fucking drag "muhmuricca" memes into fucking every board. Jow Forums is worse than Jow Forums by far at this point in terms of shitting up other boards. You are worse than Jow Forums niggers. How the fuck do you manage that?

I tried then stopped I don't have carpet because I'm not a savage

Why? Every thread, out of fucking nowhere, the amerinigger appears, trying to fucking drag "america is white" memes into fucking every board. USA is worse than any other country by far at this point in terms of shitting up other boards. You are worse than niggers. How the fuck do you manage that?

Protection at work and raw dog at home

>USA is worse than any other country by far at this point in terms of shitting up other boards.

factually incorrect
that honor goes to Australia, now and forever.

Attached: yeahnah.jpg (344x291, 58K)

No way, everywhere americans post the most and everywhere boards become shit

Does this actually work and how if so?

I just go bare feet and put my feet on a metal piece of my desk

wait a sec

Attached: Xiaomi Mi Band 4.jpg (700x700, 54K)

Just touch the case when it's grounded before touching anything delicate. These things are the pocket protectors of the computer world.

>Wireless meme
sma.nasa.gov/news/articles/newsitem/2018/01/10/esd-wireless-wrist-straps-the-shocking-truth

I've built so many computers with this method and never had a problem.

Aren't you supposed to clip the antistatic wristband to something metal anyway? Seems to follow the same principle while costing considerably more

Of course they don't. It's not grounded. What do you think they're doing? Absorbing the static electricity into an internal battery? That's like saying you're getting water to go uphill by using a waterwheel powered by the water you're trying to make go uphill.

It has to be grounded or else it's pointless. While your home structure might have other grounds beyond the ones provided by your electrical plugs, chances are if it wasn't plugged in it wasn't grounded.

Holy shit
I think you just invented free energy
I have to tell people

at home I have a conductive floor mat that plugs into the ground in my wall plug socket. i stand on that with bare feet.

I just stand on a metal weight

>It's not grounded.
Little do you know, it contains a little pouch of ground.

Very nice

Thats not how it works wtf are you on about. ESD happens when there's a charge difference between you and the part/chassies. If you touch the chassies or stay connected to it via the straps, you stay leveled charge wise and no ESD will happen between you and the computer.

Level with the case != level with the components in the case. If they weren't electrically separated then the whole computer would be one giant short. Chances are you and the case are in roughly the same charge because you're in the same environment (unless you've been taking a tumble in a dryer with cat hair). The only way to guarantee that you do not have an excess of charge relative to the isolated and delicate electrical components is to ground yourself.

Of course they make consumer electronics extremely resilient to electric discharge because idiots like you don't know what they're doing, so you're probably fine either way.

I just touch central heating pipe to ground myself now and then.

Big meme.

this may sound retarded but I've found that touching running water from the sink works for grounding

It's not remotely retarded - water is conductive. Jumping into the bathtub with a toaster is a fun and educational way to confirm this.

For most of my life Ive worked on electronics sitting on the carpet, even putting the boards on the carpet. Never grounded, never had an issue.

>not using superior slimline wireless antistatic thing

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-27_02-24-14.png (1055x691, 302K)

so THAT's how they make them

>it contains a little pouch of ground.

>he doesnt know..

Attached: rbAo0Vc.jpg (577x1024, 109K)

Now I just need a pocket knife that hopefully has a screwdriver.

Some have to ritualistically pace around and rub their heads while talking to themselves to get anything done.

This is an American imageboard.

modern components have ESD protection, grounding yourself to the chassis (even when it isolated from mains ground) should be sufficient.

There are idiots out there who vacuum the dust out of their computers, and usually nothing happens. Modern MOSFETs are more resilient than you think.

Raw dog, standing on carpet.
Not even joking.

thank you for your service

As long as they come in an anti-static bag, I'll wear protection.