I hear all kinds of advise about how to protect against data loss, but what should a person do to defend against bitrot...

I hear all kinds of advise about how to protect against data loss, but what should a person do to defend against bitrot? Should I start by hashing all of the files on my hard drives?

Attached: 1521992221864.png (527x455, 105K)

# rm -r /boot && reboot

Get into PAR2 with Multipar. More redundancy equals takes more space but is able to deal with more damaged files. It's not as good as a full backup but if your files are lightly damaged then PAR2 will be able to restore them.

Use ZFS for hot data.

Zip your stuff and par2 for primitive caveman recovery in 20 years.

obligatorily clay tablet post

spray some anti bitrot material directly on the platter.

Just remember to turn your computer on and off again every week. When you turn a computer on it has to see what the bits are and when it knows what the bits are it can tell what the bits are. If it's not looking at the bits and just assuming what they are by what they were, then the bits can become different.

>Just remember to turn your computer on and off again every week. When you turn a computer on it has to see what the bits are and when it knows what the bits are it can tell what the bits are. If it's not looking at the bits and just assuming what they are by what they were, then the bits can become different.
no

Attached: rs_1024x759-160222114451-1024.Tina-Fey-Kf.22216.jpg (1024x759, 35K)

M-disc sounds promising but its patented so not very Jow Forums but that might be worth it for 1000 years cold storage
Idk, what do other anons think ive never come across them on here

>but that might be worth it for 1000 years cold storage
pure marketing

If you're maintaining adequate backups, losing anything to bitrot is not a possibility.

Ok but niggers have boiled (BOILED) discs and said they read fine so unless they are shillerino thats gotta count for something

What about general file integrity errors like if the head in a disk on your backup server incorrectly writes a bit.

I usually use rsync with the checksum option for important data.
if it's an archive you are saving it's even easier.

I'm pretty sure that those boiled discs didn't survive, if I remember correctly. Anyway my pointing being that the M-Discs were independently tested to be better than normal DVDs. The Blu-rays were not and are rumored to simply be HTL Blu-rays with fancy labels.

I've been using git for everything. Is there any reason to still do it with rsync?

Oh SHIT i cant believe Ive been shilled so hard.

Well in your opinion user whats the best option for minimal maintenance over as long a time period as possible
So not having to fuck around with redundancy arrays or magic archive checking software
Does form factor make a difference, like m.2 drives having bad thermals affecting their lifespan or some shit
Or does bus they communicate over matter like nvme or sata or usb

>hurr durr 1000 years!
Thats like wondering if your VHS tapes will last for 1000 years. By that time there wont be any blu ray readers. Hell its been 40 years and theres no VHS readers out there any more.

Personally I just buy cheap HTL BD-Rs off Amazon. Single Layers are probably going to last the longest but they only have 25GB, so I use that. I usually fill up the disc with ~24.5GB of data plus the remainder with PAR2 data (~500MB). I then use my burning software to verify the entire disc before storage. HTL BD-R discs are generally better than the LTH BD-Rs, and LTH BD-Rs use the same disc technology as a normal DVD. While HTL is the newer and better process. If the BD-Rs are not labeled LTH, then they are by default HTL.

I would invest in LTO-6 or LTO-7 tape if I had the money and the data needs, as I expect those to last a good amount of time too. But I don't have LTO tape at the moment.

>VHS readers out there any more.
>VHS readers
Firstly I would like for you to leave as you are clearly underage. Secondly I own 3 S-VHS VCRs and probably 3 normal VHS VCRs. VHS is a dead format but I can still play them back just fine.

Attached: IMG_2389.jpg (1000x667, 231K)

Also Walmart still sells new old stock DVD-VHS combo units, at least I've seen them in the past year or two.

Next youll be telling me waterproof watches rated to 1000m are rarely taken that deep underwater

sorry sweatie your 30 year old readers will die and you wont be able to watch your tapes any more as no one makes vhs readers out there. Same shit will happen to blu rays and spinning drives. Sata ports will stop existing in 20 years.

>sorry sweatie your 30 year old readers will die
Two of my S-VHS VCRs are from 2007 and 2008. They were probably one of the last. They will still be around for sometime and I can replace belts fairly easily.

>Same shit will happen to blu rays and spinning drives. Sata ports will stop existing in 20 years.
I see someone read the book "Everyone dies", thank you for the obvious.

Attached: 1559822878133.jpg (78x96, 3K)

smhtbhfam