JavaScript devs think implementing terminal a(i)ds is a good way to raise revenue for open source projects

JavaScript devs think implementing terminal a(i)ds is a good way to raise revenue for open source projects.
Do you agree to this? Are you willing to see some ads in your terminal in order to support developers?

Attached: 63358843-b47aa700-c339-11e9-991a-0c9f78f51373.png (725x188, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/kethinov/no-cli-ads
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Librejs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is that monaco? pretty based font choice

I don't see it being a big problem. Filtering a browser terminal is simple.

Alternatively, clone the repo and remove the ads

i don't think he means a browser console
if it's only at configure/make time and not runtime, then i guess i'm not against the idea, but obviously i'd rather not have ads in foss software at all

just use an ad blocker
github.com/kethinov/no-cli-ads

Of course. Donations are not realistic income.

While i agree that one or two packages having it isnt a big deal, imagine if this gets widespread support. You will have to sit through lots of ads to clone a project.

this. open source enables everyone to access and use software for free. this is fantastic for underprivileged and oppressed peoples around the globe who don't have access to or are being denied paid positions in tech. except that they can't make money by making OSS, and in fact it allows us to exploit them for free labor, thus deepening their oppression and effectively enslaving these peoples. OSS needs a revenue model to truly raise up the underprivileged.

*copies funding's source code and renames file*
nothin personnel, kiddo

>install literal botnet just to screw over some bros

>bros
>putting ads in your terminal
Cant wait for the (((bros))) to shill HRT in my terminal

They will if it makes money and keeps the project alive, and you will learn to like it for the future of FOSS.

Why stop it at terminal ads? Make it play some audio, maybe sell my command history, make a (((backup))) of my ssh keys, send all users on the system some advertisment mails too.

Maybe, maybe not. I'd never sit down and write software for free, so make it worth it.

I don't have a major issue with this as long as it's FOSS

Sponsorship of open content is a good thing
I'm fine with sponsored YouTube videos too, thank you squarespace

It's fucking retarded. It's not a good way.
There is already a CLI-adblocker anyway.
Ask for donations, open a patreon, if you are THAT desperate for money.
If you don't want to do that, abandon the project.

directory.fsf.org/wiki/Librejs

Patreon and other donations don't make any money. You need a paywall to make people pay, what a surprise.
>abandon the project
Enjoy your 2% market share, then wonder why multi billion dollar companies don't make good drivers for you, or why desktop environments still have screen tearing in two thousand and nineteen.

I object to advertising as a business model, period. It's inherently invasive and I'll go out of my way to block it.
>but how will the devs make any money?
maybe they won't. That's not my problem. If that's a problem for them, well, they are and always have been free to stop working on the software and go do something else.

People like you are why nobody cares about desktop linux.

if the state of windows and mac is any indication, that's a good thing, lets keep it that way. the people turned off by that stance are the people that shit everything up if you let them in.

Ah yes, windows and Mac where you pay and receive support and constant updates for industry-leading software instead of settling for toy projects like gimp and freecad. No, I'd rather my computer be fully functional and live in a mutually supporting society than cope and seethe alone.

>I don't see it being a big problem, it's just ads in the log files of your current work project.

Attached: 3b6.jpg (680x769, 37K)

Log files, boo hoo.

On my website use (static) affiliate ads, which don't track you unless you click on them.
And I noticed ads only convert in sales if people come to your website specifically looking for what is in that ad.

I can't imagine ads like in the OP would lead to direct sales. It might create some brand awareness, but I guess it's just throwing money (and ad space) away.

>but muh adobe!
do something worthwhile instead of drawing pictures.

*On my website I use

I draw pictures as a side job. Do something worthwhile than typing symbols in a terminal.

Just put ads while a program installs or compiles or is doing work (which means that no meaningful output needs to be printed anyway) and give these poor guys some revenue

If the software is under a free license, why doesn't someone just fork it, saying "this fork will follow exactly what upstream does, only with the ad bullshit removed"?

It’s totally possible, the problem is that you need someone who reliably and quickly forks the software at each release, makes the necessary changes (and if things change it’s not so easy every time), reliably test the software without ads and then find more people who package it for the various distros on top of the original makers

>which means that no meaningful output needs to be printed anyway
lmao, autism. the output is there for a reason.

Then couldnt they change the license to make that not allowed?

Don't think that would work for NPM packages.

Developers gotta make money somehow. I think this is why Stallman’s proposal to use taxpayer money to fund free software makes sense. An additional +$10 tax on every computer sold should be more than enough.

What in the fuck are you on? Contributing to open source is their choice. We're not exploiting them. They chose to release it under the MIT license. They deserve nothing for their contributions besides the satisfaction of contributing to the project. Doesn't mean there aren't benefits for job prospects but overall it's work you choose to do for free.

I'd you want to get paid, make it commercial and watch your project get forked and those people run off with everyone who you thought cared about you.

Fuck your "underprivileged" mindset that believes open source has to be subsidized.

They could, but then they wouldn't be truly free and open source.

Who the fuck carres? If free software disappears, it'll be the community's fault.

How will they fork closed source apps? The age of grey beards writing software for free and living on welfare is gone. Make your choice, subsidized and quality apps or shitty ripoff abandonware.

As long as this doesn't devlove into some garbage which tries to profile me and the number of ads doesn't get too ridiculous I don't think it would bother me too much.

I haven't seen any ads in years.
I wouldn't support the main project that has ads in it but would probably support the fork that simply cloned the repo and removed the ads.

If I recall correctly this is installed in a node module that use other dependencies to run. This is a huge problem and I'll be fucking damned if I'm going to console logging adds when trying to debug.

>Are you willing to see some ads in your terminal in order to support developers?
fuck no

>he doesn't write programs that filter his log files down to the important sections, and could easily extend them to cut out ads

Attached: Cirno_holding_a_bladeless_fan.jpg (404x500, 92K)

To make money with FOSS use cases is to ask compensation from provided books, documentations and professional customer services. In some scenarios cloud infra etc.

I'm not willing and personally, I think ads in places like the terminal are security vulnerability.
I'm against both useless and pro money telemetry.

I don't mind ads as long as they are implemented in a way that isn't flashy or intrusive. Why not put it at the README section?

ads are never not flashy and intrusive, because from the advertiser's point of view, the whole purpose of them is to distract you and make you pay attention to whatever the ad has to say instead of what you were doing.

Attached: screenshot.png (755x406, 106K)

it starts with simple text ads in your install scripts
then there will be the more annoying ads

but the ad market is a race to the bottom
soon there will be popup ads you have to click through
video ads
ads that xdg-open random websites

this developer has unleashed a cancer upon FOSS
he should be hanged

Think about what you said and think about how many times in the history of anything that started getting ads somebody must have said that.

i also wish my software catered to people who can't afford to buy or use a computer
what does this even mean? "catering to indigenous people"? and "digital identity"? just write software however you like, don't try to make everyone happy, that's not possible

this. open source was never about sponsorships or making money. it's about making free software. if you are trying to make money create a business model so people want to pay you, instead of whining

The only whiny babies are the ones wanting everything to be free for no objective reason. They do not realise most free software is either a service or a badly made ripoff, garbage in either case.

I'll just do a silent install, thanks