Linux Mint

Daily Linux Mint discussion thread.

Attached: bst1.png (2000x1477, 3.19M)

Other urls found in this thread:

betanews.com/2019/04/01/linux-mint-depressed/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

thanks for reminding me to add linux mintto my filters
see you never!

Why should i install Mint instead of Ubuntu?

better performance

Its the ultimate productivity os

Best start menu of all time

slower updates, another layer over debian so things break more often, and best of all, a dev team that came out as depressed a few months ago.

you shouldn't.

betanews.com/2019/04/01/linux-mint-depressed/

Better UI (Xfce)
Better default software
More default desktop utilities (kernel updater, timeshift, Mintstick)
Better updater

tldr it's better for desktop use. Ubuntu is for DE testing.

I use Kubuntu, I've never tried Linux Mint in my life yet upon seeing this thread I felt an urge to shit on Mint for no reason
Do I have the autistic version of racism?

>Better UI (Xfce)

Early stage fanboyism. Stop it now, or you'll end up as pathetic as the AMD vs Intel fags in /pcbg/

>Better UI (Xfce)
what if i use Xubuntu then?!

got it

Best place to get Cinnamon 4.2. There's a "Cinnamon Stable" PPA for Ubuntu but they only have 4.0 in the repository.

Nah mint is basic bitch faggotry often hacked

Apart form GUI related topics.
Is Mint actually better in terms of hardware support, updated repository, stability, etc..?!
Gonna build a ryzen desktop PC and i'm wondering which distro is better. (no gayming, just programming and fapping)
I don't care about >botnet, driver support is more important for me.

Attached: Thinking_Face_Emoji.png (640x640, 111K)

They ship an older kernel, so you'll want to update it if you have new hardware. It's as simple as

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-18.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04

This will get you the 19.04 kernel (and when 19.10 releases, the 19.10 kernel), which may or may not be enough for your hardware depending on how new it is.

Basically you want to find out what kernel version merged support for your processor and get a distro that is equal to or newer to that in terms of kernel. Ubuntu backports some stuff to their kernels though, so there's that. But you may have to turn to a meme distro that has a newer kernel than even 19.04/18.04.3 offers.

Cringe

Then you have a shitty UI by default compared to Mint Xfce.

>hardware support
It uses the same kernel as LTS, so no. But considering it has a kernel updater built into the updater (still not as good as mainline.sh) it's better than Ubuntu in that regard.
>updated repository
No
>stability
Stability is the same.
Overall Mint did more tweaks to have itself desktop ready and easier to use. Ubuntu is just meh.

installed mint on an old lenovo laptop and it takes forever to boot up but when it does it runs smoothly, i need a os for work so i dont have time to learn the commands and long fixes, what could be the problem? the screan is filled with terminal commands that say error until it eventually boots in like 10 mins, 32x bit laptop and installed linux from usb